View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 NPR fires analyst Juan Williams comments Muslims plane 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post NPR fires analyst Juan Williams comments Muslims plane
Hey, I feel the same way. Thoughts?

Quote:
NPR fires analyst Juan Williams comments Muslims plane
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 11:11 AM on 22nd October 2010

A publicly-funded radio station which fired an employee who made comments about Muslims on planes is under fire from both sides of the political spectrum for its decision.

National Public Radio sacked news analyst Juan Williams after he told Fox News' Bill O'Reilly that when he sees Muslims on planes he gets 'nervous' and 'worried'.
But outraged commentators on both sides defended Williams as being honest about his feelings and saying what others are thinking.

And they pointed out that in the interview he also said it is important to distinguish moderate Muslims from extremists.
NPR's decision was blasted as 'ridiculous' and as 'censorship', with conservatives such as Sarah Palin calling on President Barack Obama to step in and cut off the organisation's funding.

Meanwhile The View host Whoopi Goldberg also termed the decision 'ridiculous' and 'a mistake'.
And the head of an organisation that trains minority journalists said Williams 'didn't say something that, unfortunately, other people aren't thinking'.

Williams - who was a part-time commentator on the Fox News Channel prior to the incident - provoked the storm with his incendiary comments on the O'Reilly Factor on Monday.
O'Reilly had asked his guests to discuss his controversial appearance last week on ABC's 'The View'.
'I'm not a bigot... But when I get on a plane, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.'

- Former NPR news analyst Juan Williams, on The O'Reilly Factor on Monday
During a discussion on the proposed Ground Zero mosque he angered hosts Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar so much that they stormed off the set.
The incident provoked headlines around the country, and O'Reilly asked Williams his opinion on it during the Monday taping of The O'Reilly Factor.

Williams, 56, responded that too much political correctness can get in the way of reality.
'I mean, look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country,' Williams said.

'But when I get on a plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.'

He went on to say that it is wrong to believe all Muslims are extremists, just as it would be wrong to think all Christians are extremists because of the actions of a few.

The rest of the article ....

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:12 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: NPR fires analyst Juan Williams comments Muslims plane
NPR will end up like Air America if its public funding is pulled...unless of course George Soros wants to keep funding it.

The guy said what is on a lot of peoples' minds and he shouldn't have to deny it to make the PC crowd feel good. I was born and raised Catholic. Am I supposed to be up in arms about people being honest with abuse scandals and the Vatican hiding individuals involved. Is every person who says they are uncomfortable seeing a Catholic priest alone with a child offending me? Absolutely not. The evidence is there for them to be suspicious.

Like it or not, the 9/11 attack and much of the continued threats and terror based violence around the globe is done by people identifying themselves as Muslim. It doesn't mean all Muslims condone it, but it provides the evidence for people to be nervous when they can't decipher whether the person is a believer in extreme actions in the name of their faith.

I don't think some of these folks at NPR understand reality. We aren't robots and we aren't perfect. We're allowed to have emotions, concerns and opinions that don't mesh with the PC playbook. All they've done is ruin their reputation, boost Juan's, and quite frankly just handed Fox News a huge addition that will draw his followers over there.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:45 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Liberals preach tolerance but are probably some of the most intolerant people in this country.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:38 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

From my understanding of the situation, it was a comment and didn't have any follow up. Is that correct? My point is that he didn't even go off on some kind of tirade and make this his platform.

Everyone is allowed their opinion. Freedom of speech used to be a right we had in this country.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:01 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
From my understanding of the situation, it was a comment and didn't have any follow up. Is that correct? My point is that he didn't even go off on some kind of tirade and make this his platform.

Everyone is allowed their opinion. Freedom of speech used to be a right we had in this country.

NPR is claiming he has violated his contract on more than one occasion and that his remarks were not up to their ethical standards.

I have yet to see anyone agree with NPR's actions or defend Vivian Schiller, and that includes folks on both the right and the left.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think Don Imus is the most boring, least talented radio personality ever, but he got screwed in a similar fashion. And his contract called for him to be controversial.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]