View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 CNN Poll: Only 25% want Dems to pass their health bills 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post CNN Poll: Only 25% want Dems to pass their health bills
Quote:
Washington (CNN) – Although the overall health care reform bills passed by the House of Representatives and the Senate are unpopular, many of the provisions in the existing bills are extremely popular, even among Republicans, according to a new national poll.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Wednesday also indicates that only a quarter of the public want Congress to stop all work on health care, with nearly three quarters saying lawmakers should pass some kind of reform.

Full results (PDF)

Twenty-five percent of people questioned in the poll say Congress should pass legislation similar to the bills passed by both chambers, with 48 percent saying lawmakers should work on an entirely new bill and a quarter saying Congress should stop all work on health care reform.

"Many provisions of those bills are popular, particularly restrictions on health insurance companies," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Roughly 6 in 10 would like a bill that prevents insurers from dropping people who become seriously ill or denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions. Seven in 10 favor requiring large and mid-sized companies to provide health insurance to their employees. Those proposals are popular among Republicans as well as Independents and Democrats. A cap on medical malpractice awards – something on the GOP's wish list that is not in the current legislation – is also popular."

According to the survey, Americans are split on a public option, and they don't like the idea of requiring everyone in the U.S. to have health insurance. The poll's release comes one day before a critical televised health care summit hosted by President Obama that will include top Congressional Democrats and Republicans.

The survey indicates nearly half of all Democrats say Congress should pass legislation similar to the bills passed by both chambers, with nearly 4 in 10 Democrats saying Congress should start from scratch and just 1 in 10 saying lawmakers should stop all work on health care.

A majority of Republicans questioned, 54 percent, want Congress to start from scratch, with just under 4 in 10 saying lawmakers should halt work on health care reform and just 6 percent saying Congress should pass into law the current legislation.

Fifty-two percent of Independents want Congress to start work on a new bill, with 27 percent saying lawmakers should stop all work, and 18 percent saying that the current legislation should be passed into law.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted February 12-15, with 1,023 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points for the overall survey.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: CNN Poll: Only 25% want Dems to pass their health bills
I'm loving what little coverage I can snag of this from the american medias. I come from teh sozializts nations so I must be biased but I love our safetynet :D

I gotta admit that a lot of the debate on this has been rather ridicilous from both parties.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: CNN Poll: Only 25% want Dems to pass their health bills
We also have a safety net here in America. I think it is ridiculous that we could ruin, if we are not careful in our changes, the great health care we have now.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]