View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Obamacare Mandate Ruled Unconstitutional 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Obamacare Mandate Ruled Unconstitutional
Quote:
The 11th Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday ruled that the health care reform law’s requirement that nearly all Americans buy insurance is unconstitutional, a striking blow to the legislation that increases the odds the Supreme Court will choose to review the law.

The suit was brought by 26 states — nearly all led by Republican governors and attorneys general — and the National Federation of Independent Business. The Department of Justice is expected to appeal.

The 2-1 ruling marks the first time a judge appointed by a Democrat has voted to strike down the mandate. Judge Frank Hull, who was nominated by former President Bill Clinton, joined Chief Judge Joel Dubina, who was appointed by George H.W. Bush, to strike down the mandate.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/08 ... z1UqWSxvqZ

Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Obamacare Mandate Ruled Unconstitutional
Barack Obama is unconstitutional. No black man should ever rule.
Just kidding...it's just whenever I ridicule Obama, someone always has to bring up race. I don't care if he's a blond female midget....he sucks at his job.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:41 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I think every citizen should be responsible and get health insurance for themselves and their family. Should it be mandatory? Definitely not.

My health insurance costs me $620 a month for my family. I could think of a lot of other things that I would like to do with that money.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
I think every citizen should be responsible and get health insurance for themselves and their family. Should it be mandatory? Definitely not.

My health insurance costs me $620 a month for my family. I could think of a lot of other things that I would like to do with that money.

$620? You are lucky. In MA a family plan without a massive deductible is almost 3 times that amount for self employed guys and maybe 1.5 times if you have a good company plan. Time to allow competition across state lines.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:34 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Time to allow competition across state lines.

I agree. The cost of health insurance is killing me.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

We need healthcare reform, but the mandate was a bone thrown to the insurance industry and is total BS. It is not the same as driving insurance, as driving is considered a privilege but living is a right. Healthcare costs moving forward will be our biggest expenditure in our country.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:57 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

There are two things that are needed:

1) Eliminate the "pre-existing conditions" exclusions
2) Lower costs of insuring

Obamacare does #1, but it should take a multi-trillion dollar entitlement program to do that. It does the opposite on #2.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:17 am

degs wrote:

Obamacare does #1, but it should take a multi-trillion dollar entitlement program to do that. It does the opposite on #2.

Tort reform is needed, that may address #2.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:23 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
degs wrote:

Tort reform is needed, that may address #2.

Also need to set up a system that rewards doctors for results, instead of encouraging them to (due to the tort issue) run dozens of expensive, useless tests.

And it wouldn't hurt for people to start eating better and exercising. We're a country of fat asses.

Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:08 am

degs wrote:
And it wouldn't hurt for people to start eating better and exercising. We're a country of fat asses.

Don't worry. Michelle Obama is on it...

Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:47 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
degs wrote:

Don't worry. Michelle Obama is on it...

She gets a lot of flack about it, but it is a good message and the First Lady doesn't have any true official duties.

It'd be better if our congress did something to improve our food supply. The quality of our food has been heading downhill for years due to control by massive corporations.

Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

degs wrote:

It'd be better if our congress did something to improve our food supply. The quality of our food has been heading downhill for years due to control by massive corporations.[/quote]

The government has its hands in way too much stuff as is and that's the reason and will always be the reason for the mess we're in. Letting them regulate our food supply would be just one more step towards total government control.

We have healthy options, it's just that people don't want them. That's not my problem, it's not the corporations' problem and it's not the government's problem.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
We have healthy options, it's just that people don't want them. That's not my problem, it's not the corporations' problem and it's not the government's problem.

Not trying to have the government in control of everything. Not at all. But a safe food supply should be one of the basics. We really don't have that. All I ask is the FDA do their existing job.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:15 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think consumers sometimes forget how much power they actually have. A concentrated and collective effort to avoid fast food or cheap, processed stuff and maybe actually visit a farm stand or fruit and vegetable store would do wonders. But people have to make the choice, and most choose not to be healthy because its too inconvenient.

One of my best friends is a nutritionist so I get to hear his weekly rant about what Americans should be eating. He's as poor as it gets and lives in a large city (not the nice section) so I'm not buying the argument people can't afford it or don't have access to these types of food.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:43 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I think consumers sometimes forget how much power they actually have. A concentrated and collective effort to avoid fast food or cheap, processed stuff and maybe actually visit a farm stand or fruit and vegetable store would do wonders. But people have to make the choice, and most choose not to be healthy because its too inconvenient.

One of my best friends is a nutritionist so I get to hear his weekly rant about what Americans should be eating. He's as poor as it gets and lives in a large city (not the nice section) so I'm not buying the argument people can't afford it or don't have access to these types of food.

What I'm talking about is things like safe food to eat. Too many times do we find out about food recalls because of deadly bacteria. And there are laws against sueing the meat processor. Since you can't sue them, they should be mandated to do their jobs properly. And putting out poisonous food is NOT doing their job properly.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:

If you don't force people to get it they are playing the lottery with taxpayer money..

Because they wont get insurance and then if they do get sick or have an issue the government foots the bill...You can't just let a kid die because his father/mother are playing their chances.

In Ma. i think 98% or 93% of the people have insurance...

The problem is the expense. And the expense is so high because you are paying for people who don't have it.

That and the way doctors test everything under the sun for a splinter...Obamacare is actually about fixing the way that is done...

The voters said they wanted this even back when GW ran on healthcare reform...In fact he had his own failed heathcare plan...

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:48 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Iowafin wrote:
degs wrote:

It'd be better if our congress did something to improve our food supply. The quality of our food has been heading downhill for years due to control by massive corporations.

The government has its hands in way too much stuff as is and that's the reason and will always be the reason for the mess we're in. Letting them regulate our food supply would be just one more step towards total government control.

We have healthy options, it's just that people don't want them. That's not my problem, it's not the corporations' problem and it's not the government's problem.[/quote]

Obesity is a huge problem(And i do mean HUGE). Between that drug addicts and smokers It's 3/4 the problems with healthcare cost...We are paying for these people to eat junk and be unhealthy.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:16 am

kev1321 wrote:
Obesity is a huge problem(And i do mean HUGE). Between that drug addicts and smokers It's 3/4 the problems with healthcare cost...We are paying for these people to eat junk and be unhealthy.

Then sorry to be draconian but these people should be held responsible for their choices. If they choose to smoke cigarettes and eat Whoppers, they shouldn't be eligible for government coverage.

At some point the government has to stop protecting us from everything and letting us be responsible for our own actions.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:31 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
kev1321 wrote:

Then sorry to be draconian but these people should be held responsible for their choices. If they choose to smoke cigarettes and eat Whoppers, they shouldn't be eligible for government coverage.

At some point the government has to stop protecting us from everything and letting us be responsible for our own actions.

And who is going to police what people are eating or smoking..

Death squads......Oh you are over 250lbs sorry too fat! Death!
You eat cheese burgers sorry that causes cancer..Youre on your own!

How would you know what people with government coverage(who said anything about gov. coverage) are doing?

And who pays for this?

Private healthcare has the same issue and healthy people are paying for it with higher premiums....The cost is handed down to the consumer.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]