View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 They banned the duke of hazzard?!! 
2015 Phinfever VIP Donor!

Post They banned the duke of hazzard?!!
When I was a kid I loved The Dukes of hazard, The General Lee and Smokey and the Bandit.
I still get a kick out of seeing them. Back when I was a teenager I saw Lynerd Skynerd Play and during the encore they rocked Sweet Home Alabama and this huge confederate flag fell in the back drop behind the drummer. So cool. I never thought once about racism. It was southern Pride. The music, the people.

I get that it offends many people. So I don't wear many southern rock shirts or keychains with the flag on it. I get that. I don't agree, but I get it.

But banning the Dukes? really? When we have such Mega crap shows like , The Jersey Shore , and a zillion other reality based mind dumbing shows for todays youth? You have Rap and Hip Hop that degrades women , promotes killing law enforcement , doing gods knows what.......but they want the Dukes of Hazzard banned from TV land? I'm at a loss of words. For those that don't think it effects you , or that its an issue think again..........

Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:39 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: They banned the duke of hazzard?!!
Fly gay flags instead! :haha Freedom works both ways, there is nothing wrong with people expressing there beliefs with the confederate flag.

Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:42 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

MiamiMenace wrote:
I get that it offends many people. So I don't wear many southern rock shirts or keychains with the flag on it. I get that. I don't agree, but I get it..

You can't "get it" and still disagree.

The flag's very existence is due to the fight to keep slaves.
It is a flag responsible for the death of over half a million Americas including a US President.
The flag's original bearers raised that flag in an effort to destroy our country.

Remember those things when you look it at. And if you truly accept those facts, then you cannot in good coincidence keep that flag alive.

the Confederate flag symbolizing "Southern Pride" was a spin and a lie. The fact that many people bought it changes nothing.

After acknowledging its history, Why would you even want to be associated with that horrible time? You are waving around a reminder of the WORST, DARKEST time of your history. You can't find a better a symbol? Really?

I mean, with that thinking, the new Dolphins flag should be a picture of Cam Cameron and the 1-15 season.

Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:05 am

1984phins wrote:
MiamiMenace wrote:
I get that it offends many people. So I don't wear many southern rock shirts or keychains with the flag on it. I get that. I don't agree, but I get it..

You can't "get it" and still disagree.

The flag's very existence is due to the fight to keep slaves.
It is a flag responsible for the death of over half a million Americas including a US President.
The flag's original bearers raised that flag in an effort to destroy our country.

Remember those things when you look it at. And if you truly accept those facts, then you cannot in good coincidence keep that flag alive.

the Confederate flag symbolizing "Southern Pride" was a spin and a lie. The fact that many people bought it changes nothing.

After acknowledging its history, Why would you even want to be associated with that horrible time? You are waving around a reminder of the WORST, DARKEST time of your history. You can't find a better a symbol? Really?

I mean, with that thinking, the new Dolphins flag should be a picture of Cam Cameron and the 1-15 season.

Your completely wrong my friend. This is what's wrong with the internet , so many great things about it , but people just tend to take what's presented and not delve any deeper.

Slavery was a part of it sure. But that's HARDLY what the Flag represented. Not even close. Slavery made up a part of the disagreement, but the main argument was that the Confederates felt that each state should be allowed to govern itself as if it were a sovereign nation. The Confederates wanted to be a part of the united states only to pool resources for military purposes to defend against foreign invaders, and to engage in free trade. The Union however, believed that the Federal government should be able to impose law on all states, as it is today. The Confederate southern states rebelled against what they felt was oppression by out of state lawmakers, and in turn sparked the civil war. Abolition of slavery was a key Federal law that sparked anti unionism amongst confederates. The South didn't like being told what to do by a bunch of Yankees living 1000 miles away in Washington. Slavery was just the final straw. It was just another issue along with a bunch of issues the Southern states were being forced to adhere to. They wanted to be incharge of each others state instead of being a United States of America. Its HISTORY. Like it or don't like it , its American History and its wrong to erase any part of it.

I don't even refer to the Flag as a Confederate flag. Never have . Its a rebel Flag. Its a flag that represents a rebel . to reject, resist, or rise in arms against one's government or ruler . Now again......I'm not saying that's a good thing either. I am 100% American and have served my country . But I think a good healthy dose of rebelisim is good too.

I wasn't alive during the Slave era. No one was. Of course today we know see it has a horrific time period. However our very founding fathers all had slaves. It was such a different time and era.

Like I said I get that others want to attach this evil to the Flag. I Don't agree with it, But I get it. Absolutely. So I don't wear my Skynerd T shirts with the Rebel flags. I don't wear my key chain that I have had since High School. I respect that. But banning shows like the Dukes is just taking it a bit far as I'm concerned. The movement today seems to be to completely Erase the flag from the earth and that's wrong. Its NOT evil and never was. The People who fought for it were good honest hard working people that believed in something that was near and dear to them. Having Control of their destiny. The Ability to make their own choices. Slavery was just one of many choices. And again it was a different time and era. saying they were evil people is just wrong.

100% completely wrong. And comparing it to Cam Cameron is just ignorant.

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:20 pm

Makchell wrote:
Fly gay flags instead! :haha Freedom works both ways, there is nothing wrong with people expressing there beliefs with the confederate flag.

That's a good point. I always liked the colors of the prisms and rainbows. I have a guitar that was painted in the Prism colors back in the 80's along with a Stratocaster I still own that has a Rebel flag pickguard. Now because I still rock that Rainbow colored guitar, does that make me Gay? About as much as that rebel guitar makes me a racist. But I guess as time marches different things represent different things. I don't think Dorothy was singing about Homosexuality in the 1940's. :haha And because of the Ahole who choose to wave a rebel flag as he went about his horrific onslaught , its now Evil. I get it. Its a shame , but that's life in todays Internet driven , social media world. All it takes is ONE picture. Today a picture is worth 6 billion words. Not a thousand.

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:44 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Makchell wrote:

lol, sure there is no problem.

Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:21 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

MiamiMenace wrote:
This is what's wrong with the internet , so many great things about it , but people just tend to take what's presented and not delve any deeper.

Irony.

MiamiMenace wrote:
Slavery was a part of it sure. But that's HARDLY what the Flag represented. Not even close. Slavery made up a part of the disagreement, but the main argument was that the Confederates felt that each state should be allowed to govern itself as if it were a sovereign nation. The Confederates wanted to be a part of the united states only to pool resources for military purposes to defend against foreign invaders, and to engage in free trade. The Union however, believed that the Federal government should be able to impose law on all states, as it is today. The Confederate southern states rebelled against what they felt was oppression by out of state lawmakers, and in turn sparked the civil war. Abolition of slavery was a key Federal law that sparked anti unionism amongst confederates. The South didn't like being told what to do by a bunch of Yankees living 1000 miles away in Washington. Slavery was just the final straw. It was just another issue along with a bunch of issues the Southern states were being forced to adhere to. They wanted to be incharge of each others state instead of being a United States of America.

You have completely bought into the "Lost Cause" myth.
The only states rights issue of consequence was the right to keep the institution of slavery.

Here are some portions of the text of Mississippi's reasons for breaking away from the Union:

"Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin. That we do not overstate the dangers to our institution, a reference to a few facts will sufficiently prove.

The hostility to this institution commenced before the adoption of the Constitution, and was manifested in the well-known Ordinance of 1787, in regard to the Northwestern Territory. The feeling increased, until, in 1819-20, it deprived the South of more than half the vast territory acquired from France. The same hostility dismembered Texas and seized upon all the territory acquired from Mexico.

It has grown until it denies the right of property in slaves, and refuses protection to that right on the high seas, in the Territories, and wherever the government of the United States had jurisdiction.

It refuses the admission of new slave States into the Union, and seeks to extinguish it by confining it within its present limits, denying the power of expansion.

It tramples the original equality of the South under foot.

It has nullified the Fugitive Slave Law in almost every free State in the Union, and has utterly broken the compact which our fathers pledged their faith to maintain.

It advocates negro equality, socially and politically, and promotes insurrection and incendiarism in our midst.

It has enlisted its press, its pulpit and its schools against us, until the whole popular mind of the North is excited and inflamed with prejudice.

It has made combinations and formed associations to carry out its schemes of emancipation in the States and wherever else slavery exists.

It seeks not to elevate or to support the slave, but to destroy his present condition without providing a better."

I mean, that's pretty clear right there.

MiamiMenace wrote:
Its HISTORY. Like it or don't like it , its American History and its wrong to erase any part of it.

Once again, Irony.

MiamiMenace wrote:
I don't even refer to the Flag as a Confederate flag. Never have . Its a rebel Flag. Its a flag that represents a rebel . to reject, resist, or rise in arms against one's government or ruler .

Of course, the flag regained popularity in the 50s and 60s when it was used to "rebel" against the government. Of course, the issue in question was giving African Americans full civil rights and the end of segregation.

MiamiMenace wrote:
The movement today seems to be to completely Erase the flag from the earth and that's wrong. Its NOT evil and never was. The People who fought for it were good honest hard working people that believed in something that was near and dear to them. Having Control of their destiny. The Ability to make their own choices. Slavery was just one of many choices. And again it was a different time and era. saying they were evil people is just wrong.

The people who fought for the Confederacy were White Supremacists who died to continue the institution of slavery. Defend them all you want. But that is who they were. Every important grievance they had with the North either directly or indirectly affected the institution of slavery.

MiamiMenace wrote:
And comparing it to Cam Cameron is just ignorant.

It's a joke. The point being, if you want a symbol of pride, don't pick a symbol that represented the worst point in your history.

Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:21 pm

1984phins wrote:
MiamiMenace wrote:
This is what's wrong with the internet , so many great things about it , but people just tend to take what's presented and not delve any deeper.

Irony.

MiamiMenace wrote:
Slavery was a part of it sure. But that's HARDLY what the Flag represented. Not even close. Slavery made up a part of the disagreement, but the main argument was that the Confederates felt that each state should be allowed to govern itself as if it were a sovereign nation. The Confederates wanted to be a part of the united states only to pool resources for military purposes to defend against foreign invaders, and to engage in free trade. The Union however, believed that the Federal government should be able to impose law on all states, as it is today. The Confederate southern states rebelled against what they felt was oppression by out of state lawmakers, and in turn sparked the civil war. Abolition of slavery was a key Federal law that sparked anti unionism amongst confederates. The South didn't like being told what to do by a bunch of Yankees living 1000 miles away in Washington. Slavery was just the final straw. It was just another issue along with a bunch of issues the Southern states were being forced to adhere to. They wanted to be incharge of each others state instead of being a United States of America.

You have completely bought into the "Lost Cause" myth.
The only states rights issue of consequence was the right to keep the institution of slavery.

Here are some portions of the text of Mississippi's reasons for breaking away from the Union:

"Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin. That we do not overstate the dangers to our institution, a reference to a few facts will sufficiently prove.

The hostility to this institution commenced before the adoption of the Constitution, and was manifested in the well-known Ordinance of 1787, in regard to the Northwestern Territory. The feeling increased, until, in 1819-20, it deprived the South of more than half the vast territory acquired from France. The same hostility dismembered Texas and seized upon all the territory acquired from Mexico.

It has grown until it denies the right of property in slaves, and refuses protection to that right on the high seas, in the Territories, and wherever the government of the United States had jurisdiction.

It refuses the admission of new slave States into the Union, and seeks to extinguish it by confining it within its present limits, denying the power of expansion.

It tramples the original equality of the South under foot.

It has nullified the Fugitive Slave Law in almost every free State in the Union, and has utterly broken the compact which our fathers pledged their faith to maintain.

It advocates negro equality, socially and politically, and promotes insurrection and incendiarism in our midst.

It has enlisted its press, its pulpit and its schools against us, until the whole popular mind of the North is excited and inflamed with prejudice.

It has made combinations and formed associations to carry out its schemes of emancipation in the States and wherever else slavery exists.

It seeks not to elevate or to support the slave, but to destroy his present condition without providing a better."

I mean, that's pretty clear right there.

MiamiMenace wrote:
Its HISTORY. Like it or don't like it , its American History and its wrong to erase any part of it.

Once again, Irony.

MiamiMenace wrote:
I don't even refer to the Flag as a Confederate flag. Never have . Its a rebel Flag. Its a flag that represents a rebel . to reject, resist, or rise in arms against one's government or ruler .

Of course, the flag regained popularity in the 50s and 60s when it was used to "rebel" against the government. Of course, the issue in question was giving African Americans full civil rights and the end of segregation.

MiamiMenace wrote:
The movement today seems to be to completely Erase the flag from the earth and that's wrong. Its NOT evil and never was. The People who fought for it were good honest hard working people that believed in something that was near and dear to them. Having Control of their destiny. The Ability to make their own choices. Slavery was just one of many choices. And again it was a different time and era. saying they were evil people is just wrong.

The people who fought for the Confederacy were White Supremacists who died to continue the institution of slavery. Defend them all you want. But that is who they were. Every important grievance they had with the North either directly or indirectly affected the institution of slavery.

MiamiMenace wrote:
And comparing it to Cam Cameron is just ignorant.

It's a joke. The point being, if you want a symbol of pride, don't pick a symbol that represented the worst point in your history.

This is going to have to be one of those points that we will need to agree to disagree.

I guess if you look long and hard enough at anything you will see what you want to see. Myself included. About the only point you make that I agree with is that yes......sadly it has become a symbol that recently was adopted by white supremacists. That IS somebody I don't ever wish to be associated with which is why I said several times I don't wear any of the Southern rock stuff of my youth.

I completely and vehemently disagree that the South was full of red Neck racist White Supremacist's during the civil war. They simply wanted the right to choose what was right for their home state. Many good people , hard working people, with god driven values and family values. Cant say that today about 50% of America these days.

Back on track this is not what this thread is about.

I look around me and I see people burning the American Flag.

I see people flying Iraqi flags .

I see people doing basically whatever they wish. You have to tap dance on egg shells to try and not insult someone calling them what ever was politically correct a year ago.

BUT.....have a toy car from a TV show with a rebel flag on it? Your a racist POS.
That's just wrong bro and you know it. Its getting more and more out of hand and I believe they are probably creating racists at this point. Like the Ahole who shot up that church. That kid was driven by what he's reading on social networking. No different that the black guy that killed two white cops in NYC. Except he was carrying a flag.

Its sad. Its pathetic and I wish it would stop from all directions, but it wont. And to be honest people like yourself who think you are doing the right thing, are probably helping make it worse.

Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]