View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 my first Offseason-Mock 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post my first Offseason-Mock
let me just qualify this as saying that I follow draft boards and draft sites closely all year long so I always have an updated idea of the top 150 prospects and a good guess at their estimated draft slotting.
Of course the draft board is an ever-changing amoeba so this will change the next few months but here's my first stab.......

------------------------------------

First I would sign Mike Wallace. I stand by that as the best possible move before we even think about drafting. So in my mind we'll already have our #1 receiver entering draft weekend.
And here is the rest of my predictions for Miami's picks in the first 4 rounds. (most info by Walter Football)

1st round-#12-DE-Ezekial Ansah - BYU
a physical freak at 6'6" , Ansah doesn't have much experience, but he's a highly athletic pass-rusher who has tremendous upside. He's naturally drawing comparisons to Jason Pierre-Paul. Many are raving about elite athleticism and size. Would make a great bookend with Wake. It's all about crushing Mr. Brady.

2nd round-#42-CB-Jordan Poyer - Oregon St.
Poyer is currently the 4th best corner in this class. He totaled 46 tackles, seven interceptions, four tackles for a loss, one forced fumble, one sack and seven passes broken up in 2012. His pass coverage was extremely good but he needs to improve his run defense.
Could become our best corner.

2nd round-#56-OT-Oday Aboushi - Virginia
Even though Virginia struggled this season, Aboushi played well. He looked good against Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, UNC and TCU.
Aboushi has improved his run blocking while being rock solid as a pass-protector. He is very quick on the edge. Aboushi has no problem getting depth in his drops to negate speed rushes.
Would play right tackle and we can move Garner back to guard.

3rd round-#77-TE-Joseph Fauria - UCLA
Fauria has 41 receptions for 578 yards and 11 touchdowns this year. He has been a great red zone weapon for UCLA. Fauria has improved his blocking, but still needs to become a more effective blocker for the NFL. He's 6'7 with long Gronkowski arms and is almost an impossible matchup in the red zone. We NEED a guy like this badly.

3rd round-#82-OG-Omoregie Uzzi - Ga. Tech
A good fit for Philbin's offense, which calls for faster, smaller guards. He has excellent mobility and would be a perfect fit for a zone-blocking system.

4th round -CB-Aaron Colvin - Oklahoma
has had a very good junior season for Oklahoma. He has recorded four interceptions, 11 passes broken up, 52 tackles and two sacks. Colvin stood out against Texas, West Virginia and Oklahoma State. He has nice man coverage ability with the quickness and flexibility to turn and run with receivers downfield.

Last edited by swerve13 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:16 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: my first Offseason-Mock
I like the idea of adding a pair of o-linemen. Poyer would be alright in the 2nd. Fauria in the 3rd would be great. But I hate the idea of us going after Wallace and I think we absolutely need to draft at least one receiver in the first three rounds even if we add a free agent wideout. Also, I'd rather see us go after a receiver, defensive back, or o-lineman in the first round. It would be nice to have another pass rusher, but I'd rather see us add a prospect in the mid-rounds.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

No Wr?

Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:54 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
No Wr?

He said Mike Wallace and I'm also assuming he sees a Hartline re-signing.

I'm a much bigger fan of taking the TE from Stanford, Zach Ertz, in Round 2 or moving up to get him.

I'd like to see Miami sign some proven commodities and try to develop some mid round talent rather than overdraft a WR.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:00 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:

I'm a much bigger fan of taking the TE from Stanford, Zach Ertz, in Round 2 or moving up to get him.

I'd like to see Miami sign some proven commodities and try to develop some mid round talent rather than overdraft a WR.
Even with Wallace I think Miami needs to draft one in at least Rd. 3.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:06 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Dphins4me wrote:
jammer wrote:

Yup.

Not that it matters because there's no shot they sign him, IMO.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:15 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what do you see them doing?

After yesterday, I just really think they need to be bold. They aren't that far from a playoff spot but they aren't even close to a deep playoff run. They're going to have to start being a 24+ points per week type offense.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:44 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If we draft any kind of lineman in the first I will effing scream! If Keenan Allen runs 4.40 or under he is ours at 12 or I'm shopping for a new team...

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:28 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Ski_Money wrote:
If we draft any kind of lineman in the first I will effing scream! If Keenan Allen runs 4.40 or under he is ours at 12 or I'm shopping for a new team...

If there aren't a few bold moves this offseason a lot of people will ask to be shopping for a new GM.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:36 am

jammer wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what do you see them doing?

After yesterday, I just really think they need to be bold. They aren't that far from a playoff spot but they aren't even close to a deep playoff run. They're going to have to start being a 24+ points per week type offense.

Being bold doesn't mean paying a big name 50 million.

I see them attacking TE and WR in Free Agency, (and I would too). But not as aggressively as some project.

I think they'll make a run at Jennings, but at a price appropriate of a 30 year old, system (arguably) WR. If he's out of their price range, they'll draft WR's, and I'm completely fine with that.

But I just can't see them going out and spending a ridiculous sum on any 1 player in Free Agency, nor do I want them to, personally.

My basic plan that will undoubtedly collapse before it begins to unfold would be Jennings, Cook and a LG to replace Richie in free agency (along with cheap, depth signings elsewhere). In the draft DE round 1, trade up to the back end of the 1st or top 2nd for a WR (personally I'm in love with Terrance Williams), and go OT in late round 2.

Can't fix everything. I prioritize pass rusher over CB, and weapons for Ryan over protecting him up front.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:45 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Abandoning any WR early in this draft is insanity regardless of whichever big free agent we may sign. I want Keenan Allen and do you think it'd be possible to trade both our 2nds for a late 1st and grab a DE or CB? Maybe even another TE.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:50 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Nice write up Swerve. I'm all for taking a DE with 12 IF we sign Wallce and cook. OR Keller and Jennings.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This team needs play makers, particularly at WR. Draft one in the first and bring in a veteran to help. Next, get that pass rusher and corner. We might have to trade extra picks to move up for real talent. Add beef on the OL later, or via free agency. Other needs are more pressing.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:46 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

This no doubt will change NUMEROUS times.

1) Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor - Very good size, speed, playmaker. Jeff Ireland is a Baylor grad and should be able to find out as much information as is needed on Williams, and I like him more than Keenan Allen.

2) Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State - Big cornerback that was a former wide receiver. Good ball skills and physical, willing tackler.

2) Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn - The Dolphins need a pass rusher opposite Cameron Wake. Lemonier is an explosive pass rusher.

3) Coby Hamilton, WR, Arkansas - Another big, explosive WR that is very good after the catch. After watching that game yesterday, it obvious the Dolphins need wide receivers that can seperate.

3) Brennan Williams, ORT, North Carolina - Nate Garner is a free agent, and even if Miami re-signs Garner, competition is needed.

4) Alvin Bailey, OG, Arkansas - Richie Incognito is also a free agent, and his play to me has been up and down. Bailey has great power, but also the quickness to pull. He can play both ORG or OLG.

I believe the Dolphins will sign a WR in free agency and perhaps a TE as well. Dustin Keller is a TE I like a lot along with Jared Cook. Greg Jennings is about to hit 30, but he is still a top notch WR and he is now healthy, as his 8 catches for 122 yards and 2 TD performance from Sunday showed. Phins Rock mentioned about being a system guy, but systems don't make plays after the ball is in their hands, ballers do. Plus, he would be in the exact same system is is in now.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
I think they'll make a run at Jennings, but at a price appropriate of a 30 year old, system (arguably) WR. If he's out of their price range, they'll draft WR's, and I'm completely fine with that.
Cronism usually plays a role with coaches. I'm afraid he will want Jennings simply because he was good for him in GB. Nothing against Jennings & would be more for him if he did not come with getting hurt.

Phins Rock wrote:
But I just can't see them going out and spending a ridiculous sum on any 1 player in Free Agency, nor do I want them to, personally.

My basic plan that will undoubtedly collapse before it begins to unfold would be Jennings, Cook and a LG to replace Richie in free agency (along with cheap, depth signings elsewhere). In the draft DE round 1, trade up to the back end of the 1st or top 2nd for a WR (personally I'm in love with Terrance Williams), and go OT in late round 2.

Can't fix everything. I prioritize pass rusher over CB, and weapons for Ryan over protecting him up front.
I see them going TE & WR in FA also. Isn't Richie a PB alternate? I would think that would mean he doesn't blow.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:19 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I am just spit balling here I am not a draft expert or a cap expert. But is it possible for the dolphins to sign Wallace and another free agent link Jennings. Then concentrate on OL & defense in the draft.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
jammer wrote:

why? this team only needs a #1 wideout and a playmaker at tight end. We've got plenty of depth receivers. A high pick on a receiver would be a luxury at that point.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
Nice write up Swerve. I'm all for taking a DE with 12 IF we sign Wallce and cook. OR Keller and Jennings.

me too buddy, I don't think it matters what else we do if we can't get maximum pressure on the opposing quarterback (Ansah) and score quick points (Wallace)

I'm not thrilled with the free agent tight ends. I like the top 3 in this draft class because they have that freakish height that creates mismatches. I think that's what makes Graham and Gronk so unstoppable.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:00 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Being bold doesn't mean paying a big name 50 million.

No it doesn't, but this team has plenty of question marks and what ifs. I'm not advocating a Daniel Snyder free agent binge, but some experienced route runners with a resume are what Miami is sorely lacking. Wallace brings the deep threat and Jennings can do a lot in the medium range. I think takng a chance with those two could do wonders.

The WR/TE combo in FA is fine too.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Team sources tell the Miami Herald the Dolphins have "every intention" of pursuing impending free agents Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings if they reach the open market.

However, the same source tells reporter Armando Salguero the Dolphins "will be careful not to overvalue players who aren’t truly stars." Good luck with that. Pursuing Wallace, Jennings or Dwayne Bowe would make perfect sense for a team with one of the league's worst receiver corps, but it's easier said than done. All three could still remain with their current teams, and are ripe targets for foolish bidding wars. However, if Miami strikes out in free agency, it will have to place am emphasis on wideout in the draft, as building-block QB Ryan Tannehill simply has no one to throw to.

-Rotoworld analysis

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I honestly don't see us having much competition for Wallace. We have the most money and the biggest need at the position. It just makes too much sense.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:18 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
I see them going TE & WR in FA also. Isn't Richie a PB alternate? I would think that would mean he doesn't blow.

You know as well as I do that the Pro Bowl means nothing.

Richie has had a handful of solid games this season, but overall I don't like what I saw. And I just don't see him fitting the zone blocking scheme they want to run moving forward. Cutting him leaves 1.1 million in dead cap, but saves 4.3 million. Plenty of money to sign his replacement.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:22 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
I honestly don't see us having much competition for Wallace. We have the most money and the biggest need at the position. It just makes too much sense.

I believe Cleveland, Indy and Cincy have as much cap room as Miami and would be happy to get a burner for their young QBs.

I could totally see Wallace wanting to be with Andrew Luck if Indy was willing to pay.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

I believe Cleveland, Indy and Cincy have as much cap room as Miami and would be happy to get a burner for their young QBs.

I could totally see Wallace wanting to be with Andrew Luck if Indy was willing to pay.

of those 3, only the Colts could be in the mix, but I still say we're the runaway favorite.
T.Y. Hilton looks like an eventual Pro Bowl level receiver and Wayne is still playing at a high level.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
jammer wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

of those 3, only the Colts could be in the mix, but I still say we're the runaway favorite.
T.Y. Hilton looks like an eventual Pro Bowl level receiver and Wayne is still playing at a high level.

Those are just teams with cap room. Its impossible to say at this point who would be willing to get in a bidding war for any of the receivers.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:29 pm

Colts are smart enough not to sign Wallace. Luck seems like the type of QB that makes average talent at the receiver position much better. Just like his predecessor. With Hilton & Wayne they can draft or sign a middle of the road free agent , not overpay & will be fine.
Wallace is out for a pay day , he showed that by his hold out. Although the Steelers had a off year (by their standards) with him , I suspect they will move on quite well without him so while he can resign there I would not count on it. He will get paid by a desperate franchise & I suspect will not live up to his contract.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:59 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I hear ya Mitch, but it's time to take a chance. It would be nice to find a Wallce in the draft though, but goo luck with that.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:30 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
Colts are smart enough not to sign Wallace. Luck seems like the type of QB that makes average talent at the receiver position much better. Just like his predecessor. With Hilton & Wayne they can draft or sign a middle of the road free agent , not overpay & will be fine.

I agree Manning can make guys better but lets not forget that he got to develop with Marvin Harrison and Edgerrin James. Then he only got better once they brought along Reggie Wayne. He didn't just take some scrubs and elevate them to good status.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:38 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I saw a mock draft on walterfootball that had Keenan Allen, Zach Ertz and Brennan Williams as Miami's picks in the first 2 rounds. Substitute Terrence Williams for Allen and that might be something intriguing.

I've heard a few people suggest John Jerry at RT.

The more I think about it the more I see Greg Jennings as a Dolphin next year and Brian Hartline moving on. Sign Jennings, spend an early draft pick, Bess as the slot, Matthews stays as the number 4 receiver and maybe giving Binns the chance to compete with a few late round receivers.

I really like the idea of Ertz being drafted in the 2nd round.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:50 am

jammer wrote:
FINesse wrote:

I agree Manning can make guys better but lets not forget that he got to develop with Marvin Harrison and Edgerrin James. Then he only got better once they brought along Reggie Wayne. He didn't just take some scrubs and elevate them to good status.

yeah , I agree as well but I am not talking about scrubs. the Colts seem to have developed an uncanny ability to find these diamond in the rough receivers. Now I know that having 2 franchise QB's on back to back first overall picks helps as well but it also proves most peoples point around here about franchise QB's and the direction of the league. Also proves its all about the draft. Redskins found a QB , backup QB & a RB all in the previous draft , plus with the new rookie scale they are safe for awhile. I cannot wait for the day when we have a solid draft like that although I suspect I will be waiting for quite awhile.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:56 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
the Colts seem to have developed an uncanny ability to find these diamond in the rough receivers.

In the Manning days Harrison and Wayne were 1st Round picks. This year they still had Wayne, drafted the top two TEs (both were predicted to be top 40 picks), had Donnie Avery (former 2nd round pick) and found a mid round steal in Hilton. That is just good overall talent evaluation.

Its possible Miami could hit on a guys like Allen or Williams with the first pick, re-sign Hartline and Fasano, and grab the top TE in Round 2 to give itself a promising group (with Bess).

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:24 am

Makchell wrote:
I hear ya Mitch, but it's time to take a chance. It would be nice to find a Wallce in the draft though, but goo luck with that.

His name is Markus Wheaton.

Guys are out there in this years draft. Just have to look for them.

Which is why I won't lose sleep over not being able to sign Wallace or Jennings.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I would definitely consider taking Sam Montgomery with the 12th pick
He's a complete defensive end at the next level

Quote:
Sam Montgomery*, DE/OLB, LSU
Height: 6-5. Weight: 260.
Projected 40 Time: 4.61.
Projected Round (2013): Top-16 Pick.

12/22/12: Montgomery has had a quality season. He played well against Alabama, totaling three tackles and a sack, plus recovered a fumble. Montgomery was shut down by Texas A&M left tackle Luke Joeckel earlier in October. The Aggies tackle kept Montgomery from getting any pass rush and moved him out of the way in the ground game. He totaled just two tackles and a pass batted.

Montgomery played a lot better against South Carolina compared to his performance against Florida. He had two sacks and a forced fumble versus the Gamecocks. Montgomery had much better run defense as well.

The redshirt junior has been more disruptive than his totals indicate. He has 32 tackles, 12 tackles for a loss, and seven sacks this year.

The added bulk that Montgomery packed on over the offseason looks like it is helping him in shedding blocks. He also looks more explosive another year removed from the knee injury that knocked him out two seasons ago.

8/27/12: Montgomery had a breakout sophomore season and led LSU's talented defense in sacks. The Tigers' defensive line was comprised of future NFL linemen with the potential for multiple first-round picks. He totaled 49 tackles with 13.5 tackles for a loss, nine sacks and one forced fumble in 2011.

Montgomery was a key cog in LSU having the second-ranked scoring defense in the nation and the second total defense. He considered entering the 2012 NFL Draft, but decided to finish his degree.

Montgomery had 18 tackles with six tackles for a loss and two sacks as a freshman. He is a dangerous speed-rusher who needs to add weight for the NFL. Montgomery has a big frame, so he shouldn't have any problem adding more bulk for the next level. Montgomery is another year removed from knee surgery, so he could be even better in 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kIToUgK50A

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:01 pm

swerve13 wrote:

He's the most overrated player in the draft.

Plus there's this: http://m.deadspin.com/5971949/heres-the ... socialflow

Still want him?

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:34 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Nice write up but this team NEEDS to take 2 WR in this draft AND sign one in FA! I don't really like any TE's in this draft so I would try to sign Cook (Titans), Bennett (Giants) or Keller (Jets). This team was pitiful on offense and every announcer said the same thing about team.."Tannehill looks good but needs playmakers on offense!" Ive said it before and I'll say it again if this kid declares Ireland has to draft him.....

DeAndre Hopkins WR Clemson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13cTixvM ... ata_player

Also like Bailey (West Virginia), Keenan Allen and Williams (Baylor).

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MdDolfan wrote:
Nice write up but this team NEEDS to take 2 WR in this draft AND sign one in FA! I don't really like any TE's in this draft so I would try to sign Cook (Titans), Bennett (Giants) or Keller (Jets). This team was pitiful on offense and every announcer said the same thing about team.."Tannehill looks good but needs playmakers on offense!" Ive said it before and I'll say it again if this kid declares Ireland has to draft him.....

Draft Terrance Williams from Baylor, Joseph Fauria from UCLA, and Ryan Swope from A&M. Then sign Greg Jennings from the Packers. That should be more than enough firepower for Tannehill to work with.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:42 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

wkloiber13 wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:

Draft Terrance Williams from Baylor, Joseph Fauria from UCLA, and Ryan Swope from A&M. Then sign Greg Jennings from the Packers. That should be more than enough firepower for Tannehill to work with.

Not really impressed with Fauria but I do think he will be a better pro because his QB sucked at UCLA. Still want Hopkins but I do like your thinking. There is no way we can just get Mike Wallace and leave it at that. Ireland will be crucified if this was his draft!

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

He's the most overrated player in the draft.

Plus there's this: http://m.deadspin.com/5971949/heres-the ... socialflow

Still want him?

I think he's extremely underrated. His teammate Mingo is the overrated one.

if we decide to go pass rusher with our top pick I like Montgomery, Ansah and Okafor alot. All 3 cause havoc and make plays in the backfield.

Last edited by swerve13 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

not sure why everyone is talkin about drafting 2 or 3 receivers.
Are we to cut away with Hartline and Bess or something????

We need a #1 (preferably a free agent) and a seam tight end. We don't start 5 wideouts guys.
I'm all for grabbing a guy like Swope in the 4th or 5th round to compete for the 4th receiver spot but we need more than just receiver in this draft. We need 2 corners, a pass rusher, a couple of linemen and a tight end for sure.

So count me out for taking 3 wide receivers in the first 2 rounds.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:43 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

swerve13 wrote:
not sure why everyone is talkin about drafting 2 or 3 receivers.
Are we to cut away with Hartline and Bess or something????

We need a #1 (preferably a free agent) and a seam tight end. We don't start 5 wideouts guys.
I'm all for grabbing a guy like Swope in the 4th or 5th round to compete for the 4th receiver spot but we need more than just receiver in this draft. We need 2 corners, a pass rusher, a couple of linemen and a tight end for sure.

So count me out for taking 3 wide receivers in the first 2 rounds.

I think 2 WR's in the first 4 rounds....I believe Mike Jenkins is a FA and with another pass rusher our D will be solid. It's our offense that lost us half the games this year. Our D is good enough to make the playoffs!

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next