View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:26 pm



Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 GM Salguero's outline offseason plan 
Author Message
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3592
Post GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
Quote:
...

Having said that, my offseason plan would be an all-of-the-above approach. I would look at spending big on quality free agents, I would look at re-signing my own quality free agents and letting the mediocre ones walk, I would look at trades, I would approach the draft with the desire to add playmakers not grunts.

...

So what is my audacious plan?

Start with the offense. It has to start there because Miami's offense is terrible.

First thing I do is re-sign wide receiver Brian Hartline.

...

I also want to re-sign Randy Starks because Miami's defensive line is a strength that need not be dismantled. I want to re-sign TE Anthony Fasano at a cheap price to be my blocking tight end because he is not a downfield threat in my offense.

I also want to re-sign Jake Long but he would have to take a cheaper, incentive-laden deal that pays him more if he stays healthy.

...

By the way, the free agent tackle business is a two-way street. Sebastian Vollmer is slated to be a free agent. So are Ryan Clady, Branden Albert and others. Maybe, if Vollmer is on the market, I sign him, improve my team and put a hole in the New England Patriots offensive line.

...

What about the other free agents?

Reggie Bush is a good guy in a tough spot. ...

So I want him on my team. But other teams may want him more. And I'm okay with that.

Sean Smith? Very interesting to me. ... I let him walk.

...

Tony McDaniel? He can stay at the veteran minimum salary with no guaranteed money, otherwise, phfft.

...

Onto free agency outside the roster:

My goal, again, is improve the offense first and quickly. That means if Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings are available, I sign probably one of them. If all is wonderful and great and amazing and the dollars make sense and I have the opportunity to get both, then I get both.

...

Wallace to me is the priority. The Dolphins need a deep threat. Yes, Wallace bascially only runs 9-routes. But he's the best in the NFL at it.

...

I'm looking at cornerback Darius Butler in free agency.

...

Onto the draft:

Yes, yes, yes, the Dolphins should draft the best player available. They have the No. 12 overall selection. And, by the way, I do not trade down in the first round.

...

Miami's draft needs? It depends on how well I did in free agency. If I got the veteran star WR, then WR probably isn't the direction I'm going at No. 12 unless the quality of that WR is miles ahead of the CB or DE.

...

want CBs that actually, you know, catch interceptions. I'm looking at Alabama's Dee Milliner or Mississippi State's Johnthan Banks (that's how he spells it) as cornerback possibilities.

I'm looking at Texas A&M's Demontre Moore as a pass-rusher, knowing Mike Sherman knows a thing or two about him. I'm looking at FSU's Bjoern Werner as a defensive end. I'm looking at LSU's Barkevious Mingo as a pass-rushing DE. I'm looking at Oregon's Dion Jordan, who at 6-6 and 239 is built like Jason Taylor, as a pass-rushing defensive end.

...

And later on I want to add a tight end because Michael Egnew did zero to make me think he's the answer.

...

It has been reported that Jermichael Finley is on the outs in Green Bay.

...

Give up one of Miami's third rounders for that guy? In a heartbeat.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy


Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Profile
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3422
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
I'm not the biggest fan of Armando, but I do agree with a lot of what he has stated.

_________________
Image


Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:24 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 4754
Location: Houston, Texas
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
I like a lot of what he said, but I don't let Sean Smith walk if you can resign him at a somewhat reasonable price. He may not be the lock down corner (yet) but he is young and still has promise.

Starks is a no brainer and my only hesitation about throwing ridiculous money at Wallace is that he isn't the complete package at wide receiver. Yes, I realize we need a burner more than anything and he does as Armando states is one of the best at running 9 streak patterns, but you would hope for the kind of money he will end up getting that he is an all around threat at wide out like a Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson talent (not to say anyone with that talent is available)


Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:01 pm
Profile
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3422
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
Finhead34 wrote:
I like a lot of what he said, but I don't let Sean Smith walk if you can resign him at a somewhat reasonable price. He may not be the lock down corner (yet) but he is young and still has promise.

Starks is a no brainer and my only hesitation about throwing ridiculous money at Wallace is that he isn't the complete package at wide receiver. Yes, I realize we need a burner more than anything and he does as Armando states is one of the best at running 9 streak patterns, but you would hope for the kind of money he will end up getting that he is an all around threat at wide out like a Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson talent (not to say anyone with that talent is available)


I agree on Sean Smith, but I do agree with Armando in regards to paying him as an elite CB, because Sean is NOT elite. But big CB are so hard to get and Sean is good, and he can improve. As far as Wallace is concerned, a deal similar to Vincent Jackson would work for me. Armando also said he would go after Jennings. Don't know if Miami would do that, but a WR corp of Hartline, Wallace, Jennings and Bess would be REALLY good.

_________________
Image


Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:11 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2436
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
phinsfansc wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:
I like a lot of what he said, but I don't let Sean Smith walk if you can resign him at a somewhat reasonable price. He may not be the lock down corner (yet) but he is young and still has promise.

Starks is a no brainer and my only hesitation about throwing ridiculous money at Wallace is that he isn't the complete package at wide receiver. Yes, I realize we need a burner more than anything and he does as Armando states is one of the best at running 9 streak patterns, but you would hope for the kind of money he will end up getting that he is an all around threat at wide out like a Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson talent (not to say anyone with that talent is available)


I agree on Sean Smith, but I do agree with Armando in regards to paying him as an elite CB, because Sean is NOT elite. But big CB are so hard to get and Sean is good, and he can improve. As far as Wallace is concerned, a deal similar to Vincent Jackson would work for me. Armando also said he would go after Jennings. Don't know if Miami would do that, but a WR corp of Hartline, Wallace, Jennings and Bess would be REALLY good.


I would say they will go with Wallace or Jennings and not both. Plus draft a guy high. If you sign both Wallace and Jennings you age the team, spend too much of those salary cap dollars on one area of need while ignoring others and leave no room for a young guy to get any experience.

Just my thoughts


Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:17 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5831
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
What type of contract offers Hartline will receive?


Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:19 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5831
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
degs wrote:
I would say they will go with Wallace or Jennings and not both. Plus draft a guy high. If you sign both Wallace and Jennings you age the team, spend too much of those salary cap dollars on one area of need while ignoring others and leave no room for a young guy to get any experience.

Just my thoughts


Wallace is only 26 and Jennings would be the only over 30 receiver on the team. I'd love to have both signed but I agree it won't happen. One of the big criticisms former players had on this team was that they didn't have a veteran receiver to help the younger guys. I think Jennings fills that role nicely and could give you 3-4 very productive seasons.

They need speed but they also need a guy who can get some jump balls. I liked SC's mock with Cobi Hamilton to fill that latter need.


Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:22 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5831
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
Miami is in a very good spot to address a lot by using the suggested approach. If they could re-sign Hartline, sign Wallace and maybe deal for Finley (if that is even possible), it would allow them to focus on D-line and secondary with their early picks where it seems this draft is very strong.

I still say re-signing Reggie Bush should be a top priority. He's going to be lethal when he has other playmakers giving him room to operate.


Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:27 pm
Profile
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3422
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
jammer wrote:
Miami is in a very good spot to address a lot by using the suggested approach. If they could re-sign Hartline, sign Wallace and maybe deal for Finley (if that is even possible), it would allow them to focus on D-line and secondary with their early picks where it seems this draft is very strong.

I still say re-signing Reggie Bush should be a top priority. He's going to be lethal when he has other playmakers giving him room to operate.


Agreed Jam. If Philbin wants to bring Jermichael in, then that tells you that he thinks he can get the most out of Finley without the headaches. Would love to bring back Reggie also. The more weapons, the better.

_________________
Image


Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:35 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2436
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
jammer wrote:
degs wrote:
I would say they will go with Wallace or Jennings and not both. Plus draft a guy high. If you sign both Wallace and Jennings you age the team, spend too much of those salary cap dollars on one area of need while ignoring others and leave no room for a young guy to get any experience.

Just my thoughts


Wallace is only 26 and Jennings would be the only over 30 receiver on the team. I'd love to have both signed but I agree it won't happen. One of the big criticisms former players had on this team was that they didn't have a veteran receiver to help the younger guys. I think Jennings fills that role nicely and could give you 3-4 very productive seasons.

They need speed but they also need a guy who can get some jump balls. I liked SC's mock with Cobi Hamilton to fill that latter need.


I won't argue this point. Not at all.
However, that still doesn't address the issue of how much cap money you have tied up in the WR's.

Either way, if we can add two quality WR's via FA and/or draft, we would be in a great position... FINALLY!


Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:09 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5831
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
degs wrote:
jammer wrote:
degs wrote:
I would say they will go with Wallace or Jennings and not both. Plus draft a guy high. If you sign both Wallace and Jennings you age the team, spend too much of those salary cap dollars on one area of need while ignoring others and leave no room for a young guy to get any experience.

Just my thoughts


Wallace is only 26 and Jennings would be the only over 30 receiver on the team. I'd love to have both signed but I agree it won't happen. One of the big criticisms former players had on this team was that they didn't have a veteran receiver to help the younger guys. I think Jennings fills that role nicely and could give you 3-4 very productive seasons.

They need speed but they also need a guy who can get some jump balls. I liked SC's mock with Cobi Hamilton to fill that latter need.


I won't argue this point. Not at all.
However, that still doesn't address the issue of how much cap money you have tied up in the WR's.

Either way, if we can add two quality WR's via FA and/or draft, we would be in a great position... FINALLY!


Yeah, you'd be locking up a ton of cap money. But if you signed those two then Hartline probably walks and you'd still have Jennings, Wallace and Bess as your top 3 while spending a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a guy who can develop. That leaves 4 picks in the top 100 to cheaply address DE, CB, OT and maybe TE.

I doubt it happens though.


Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:04 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 6273
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
I just don't know about Jermichael or Jared Cook.
Neither has proven anything in their pro careers to me.
I was saying to phinsfansc that I think it might be a good idea to double down at tight end in the draft. I'd try to get Fauria in the 3rd round and then maybe a guy like Ryan Otten in the 5th or 6th.
two big 6'7" guys for Tanny to play with.
Kind of the route that New England and Baltimore went a couple years ago.

I think we could move on from Fasano.


Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:20 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3592
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
Quote:
...

Names not withstanding, I want to remind you of the philosophy I believe the Dolphins should follow this offseason: Go big!

Don't shop at K-Mart. You get marginal guys looking for bargains. The past couple of seasons have proven that. And the last thing the Dolphins need to do is add more marginal talent to a 7-9 team. The club would be better served not adding free agents than signing cheap, broken ones that will be competing to play special teams.

The Dolphins need difference-makers, folks. Yes, find them in the draft, by all means. That should be the nucleus to the team. But please, please, please don't avoid them like the plague in free agency or if they become available in trades.

Premium players cost premium money or picks. Anthony Gonzalez did. Robert Griffin III did. Peyton Manning did. Pierre Garcon did. Brandon Carr did. Aqib Talib did. And that was just last season. The NFL is filled with players acquired through free agency or trades that made a difference for their new teams, contrary to what the Dolphins said last week.

...

The Dolphins need to identify two or three such guys this offseason and do work.

Hint, Mr. Ross: WR Mike Wallace. DE Paul Kruger. TE Martellus Bennett (yeah, how about signing a former Cowboy that can make some plays). This off the top of my head. And assuming they're available, which is still to be seen.

I say identify two bigtime signings. And go get them. And then add somebody else that maybe thought himself a big-money guy but whose market has come back to earth. I believe Greg Jennings may find himself in that market.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy


Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:58 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 6273
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
I'd be satisfied signing WR-Mike Wallace and G-Andy Levitre before the draft. That is a huge jolt to your offense before the draft even begins.

Then draft a D-end, two corners, a tackle, a tight end or 2 and another WR.


Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:36 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
swerve13 wrote:
I'd be satisfied signing WR-Mike Wallace and G-Andy Levitre before the draft. That is a huge jolt to your offense before the draft even begins.

Then draft a D-end, two corners, a tackle, a tight end or 2 and another WR.


I'm really hoping we don't do much in free agency and try to do most or all of our building through the draft. But both of those guys are solid. Both guys would improve our offense. I'd be happy with either or both if that's the direction or staff wants to go.


Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:28 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21573
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
wkloiber13 wrote:
I'm really hoping we don't do much in free agency and try to do most or all of our building through the draft.


Yes, let's do what no team has ever done and hit on 100% of our picks for this draft.

_________________
Image


Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:58 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2436
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
I'm really hoping we don't do much in free agency and try to do most or all of our building through the draft.


Yes, let's do what no team has ever done and hit on 100% of our picks for this draft.


The Giants did it back 07 (I think).
But your point is still pretty darn accurate


Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:53 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 6273
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
haven't we been trying to build this team through the draft? and with very little success.


Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:26 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5831
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
swerve13 wrote:
haven't we been trying to build this team through the draft? and with very little success.


When no one is on the same page you get your current result. Think back to 08. Parcells wants Flacco, Ireland wants Ryan and Henning says settle for Henne. The move was to draft Long and then get Flacco but Baltimore beats you to the punch. You settle for Henne and I don't think Parcells or Ireland were particularly thrilled with it. Parcells puts a model in place for ground and pound with bigger/stronger guys. Then they didn't realize the wildcat was gimmick that wouldn't last, so they drafted Pat White. I could go on and on.

At least now it seems like Ireland and Philbin are on the same page. Whether it works is yet to be seen. I fully expect Greg Jennings and maybe a few other Packer cast offs to be on the roster. Once they have re-signed a few guys and added via FA we'll narrow down the draft targets.


Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:30 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5831
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: GM Salguero's outline offseason plan
Rather than start a new topic I will just add this. I completely agree. I think Chad Johnson was supposed to fill that veteran role but as the saying goes "you get what you pay for."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... e-the.html


Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:20 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bobby0112, Google [Bot] and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.