View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:26 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Special thanks to Jeff Ireland... 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Special thanks to Jeff Ireland...
Quote:
Darius Butler seized the opportunity and the moment.

Thrust into the starting lineup last week at Jacksonville when a toe injury sidelined starter Jerraud Powers, the veteran cornerback responded with two interceptions and a fumble recovery in the 27-10 victory. That three-takeaway outing led to him being named the AFC's Defensive Player of the Week.

"You've always got to be ready to be the next man up,'' he said. "It can come at any time.''

Quote:
Despite being the 41st overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, selected 14 slots lower than his former UConn teammate, Donald Brown (27th overall), Butler was cut by the Patriots in September of last year.

Cut, as in discarded. Given up on. Chalked up as yet another draft day mistake by Bill Belichick, who has struggled in recent years to find his next Ty Law.

Looking back, it's not like the move really helped New England's secondary. This year, they're 29th in the league in pass defense, allowing opposing QBs to complete 66% of their passes for 2,568 yards and 19 TDs.

Butler was given another chance in Indianapolis by Colts general manager Ryan Grigson. Grigson spent much of the offseason completely revamping Indy's defensive backfield. Starters from the Polian Era, including 2010 3rd round pick Kevin Thomas and 2011 6th rounder Chris Rucker, didn't last through preseason. Both are currently out of football. Grigson replaced them with players like Cassius Vaughn (trade with Denver), Josh Gordy (trade with St. Louis), and free agents pickups like Butler.

The most visible and publicized move was the trade for Vontae Davis, a decision that could cost Grigson any of the "Executive of the Year" awards they seem to pass out each year. Davis has struggled to stay healthy, and when he is, he hasn't done much on the field. 19 total tackles and 1 pass defended in five games, all as a starter. Shutdown corner, indeed.

Playing in four games, with last Thursday being his first start, Butler has 11 total tackles, three passes defended, two picks (one for a TD), one forced fumble (recovered). Butler generated as many turnovers against the Jacksonville Jaguars (3) as the entire Colts defense had all season up to that point.

When you look at the production, it seems clear that Butler is going to start on Sunday when the Colts (6-3) face the Patriots (6-3) in Foxborough. In fact, interim coach Bruce Arians pretty much confirmed Butler's status as a starter in his Friday chit-chat with the media:

[Butler] gets to be a starter. That's the main thing. You get an opportunity - Wally Pipp - forget about whoever is hurt. That's the whole beauty of the mantra "Next man up." Don't give it up once you get it. Ryan [Grigson] gave him an opportunity to reclaim a career, and he's making the best of it. We love him.

Note the Wally Pipp reference. Translation: Injured players can lose their jobs.

The Patriots game will be a homecoming, of a sorts, for Butler. Oh, and if you think Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, and the Patriots aren't going to go after Butler, then you don't know "The Patriot Way."

In many ways, this upcoming Pats v. Colts game has Butler returning full circle. The question remains though, Who loses their job to Butler?

Assuming both Jerraud Powers and Vontae Davis are healthy this week (and the expectation is they should be), logic suggests Davis is out and Butler is in. Butler has produced more in a smaller window of time. Thus, the excuse of "he just needs to get used to his new environment" doesn't hold up anymore for Davis. The former Dolphins first round pick has had nearly two-and-a-half months to prove himself. Butler was signed a month ago, and already has contributed more.

However, benching Davis for Butler will make Colts owner Jim Irsay look somewhat foolish. Irsay, using Twitter, propped up Davis back in August, touting him as some kind of savior for the Colts defense. The very reason the Miami Dolphins traded Davis was because of his lack of production. That, and he showed up to a Miami training camp practice drunk.

While we haven't seen (or heard of) any Colts practices involving Davis and alcohol, the lack of production and availability is undeniable. Still, don't underestimate the ego of a billionaire owner, and if you think Ryan Grigson works with the same freedom as Bill Polian once did, you're wrong. Irsay now holds much more influence over roster decisions. If he wants Davis to play, Davis will play.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/11/12/ ... ing-corner

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:05 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Your record speaks for itself

Quote:
Drafting Tannehill in Rd 1 is a reach, especially drafting him in the top 10.

Don't force picks for need.

Quote:
I agree. Hartline has done about as much of nothing as he could have done.

Quote:
Follow the bouncing ball, if you can do something that simple.. Tannehill was rated a 2nd Rd talent, when Luck, Griffin, Barkley & Jones were expected to come out. Then two of them return to school & now all of a sudden Tannehill is worth a top ten pick. He is now the ugly girl left at the club once those two left.

Quote:
If they are forced to pick, then I'd have to go with a OLman not named Mike Pouncey.

Quote:
They reached, but probably had to since no one appeared to be trying to move up. I think he will be a Guard, not Center for Miami. If he can pull then that is what they are looking at. IMO.
Well I'm bummed. Miami drafts a brother of someone good.

Pouncey should be ok, but I just don't think drafting a center/guard this high is what the team needs to do.

Quote:
Would not call Wake a star.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:14 am
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

this writer doesnt seem to think that the Colts got one over on us.
Basically says the Colts didnt get much out of Vontae Davis after all the Twitter bragging by Irsay.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:17 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
Cam Newton may be a great TE one day, if he can catch.
Ryan Williams is nice, but not at the 15th pick.
Mike Pouncey will be great because his brother was great? Yea, throughout sports history siblings have always been successful.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:22 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Hey Kev cut it out and take it to PM if you want to continue this pointless attempt to change someone's opinion.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:37 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:
Your record speaks for itself
I like playing this game, because I enjoy watching you search & search & then tell me I'm not worth your time. Its hilarious. All for just on the off chance you catch me being wrong, also by editing post out. Have no issues with being wrong.

Quote:
Drafting Tannehill in Rd 1 is a reach, especially drafting him in the top 10.

Don't force picks for need.
He was a reach. Doesn't mean it will not be a hit, but a reach is a reach.

Quote:
I agree. Hartline has done about as much of nothing as he could have done.

Wrote in Aug. What has Hartline done prior to the season? 5 Tds . Prior to this year 43 catches his career best. My comment rings accurate at the time. Still not impressed by him as anything more than a No. 3. 1 Td all year. Only 4 games over 80 Yds.

Quote:
Follow the bouncing ball, if you can do something that simple.. Tannehill was rated a 2nd Rd talent, when Luck, Griffin, Barkley & Jones were expected to come out. Then two of them return to school & now all of a sudden Tannehill is worth a top ten pick. He is now the ugly girl left at the club once those two left.
100% true. If those QBs come out Tanny is a 2nd Rd. pick.

Quote:
If they are forced to pick, then I'd have to go with a OLman not named Mike Pouncey.

Quote:
They reached, but probably had to since no one appeared to be trying to move up. I think he will be a Guard, not Center for Miami. If he can pull then that is what they are looking at. IMO.
Well I'm bummed. Miami drafts a brother of someone good.

Pouncey should be ok, but I just don't think drafting a center/guard this high is what the team needs to do.
The horror. I was wrong about Pouncey playing guard. I should be ashamed. BTW, as good as Pouncey is. How many PB has he made? His brother has made 3 & is a 1 time All-Pro. The OL still struggling to block people. Still do not believe drafting guards/center that high is the best move.

Quote:
Would not call Wake a star.
Post made Jan. 2012. He wasn't at the time of the comment. You cannot pull yr old post & apply them today. Things change & Wake's performance improved this year.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:33 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

Wake was a star before January of 2012. He has been the best player on our defense since the day he walked into the facility. He had 14 sacks in 2010, his second best season statistically speaking....and that included 3 forced fumbles.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Wake was a star before January of 2012. He has been the best player on our defense since the day he walked into the facility. He had 14 sacks in 2010, his second best season statistically speaking....and that included 3 forced fumbles.

:)

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:44 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:

8.5 sacks & 0 FF in 2011 & that was when the comment was made, after 2011. Not after 2010.

I was not nearly impressed with Wake's play in 2011. ( Others disagree & that is why its called an opinion ), so at that moment I was holding off anointing him a star & wanted to see him produce another season as he did in 2010. For me it takes more than one year to anoint a player a star. Too many one year wonders littering the ditches of the NFL.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:56 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Just an FYI on the Jones Barkely thing. Experts are saying if Tannehill had come out in THIS upcoming draft. He'd be the best QB overall. So not sure you're right about him being a 2nd round QB...

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:12 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

hypocritex wrote:
Just an FYI on the Jones Barkely thing. Experts are saying if Tannehill had come out in THIS upcoming draft. He'd be the best QB overall. So not sure you're right about him being a 2nd round QB...

Oh, He's right Hypo.. Don't you worry

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:44 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

hypocritex wrote:

First off. Before those two went back to college, he was rated as a 2nd Rd prospect. Not my opinion, but what was being reported.

Second, why are we quoting unnamed experts here? Who are these experts? What did these experts say coming into the 2012 season about where Matt Barkley would be drafted? What are they saying now? It all would have depended on how Tanny played. If he played well, then good chance he would have. If he had not performed as Barkley didn't then he would not have.

Also & very important. Those experts are assuming he starts for A & M. The best college football player played the same position. So to sit & say Tanny would have even been the starter at A & M is not a given.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:15 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:

I am right, Mr ankle biter. To big of a coward to get into a fight, but loves to run up & bite your ankle & act all bad arse afterwards. :)

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:19 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

I am right, Mr ankle biter. To big of a coward to get into a fight, but loves to run up & bite your ankle & act all bad arse afterwards. :)

:cry: Settle down Egnew, You always are.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:30 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:

Settle down Egnew, You always are.
Always? No. A lot of the time. Yes. Oh by the way. NE has not lost to the Chargers in the playoffs, since Branch left. I'm right again :pumpiron:

Egnew? If that is the best your small mind can come up with. :)

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:39 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

And another thread ruined... everyone please send your PMs to Dphins and Kev for the thanks.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:22 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3