View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dolphins QB Matt Moore to test free agent market 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins QB Matt Moore to test free agent market
I'd love to have him back backing up Tanne-thrill, but I'd also like to see him have a chance to compete for a starting job somewhere. Maybe Jacksonville would give him a shot.

Quote:
Dolphins QB Moore to test free agent market

Free agent Matt Moore has informed the Dolphins that he plans to test the open market barring an "incredible offer" from Miami.

He won't get an incredible offer from the Fins, so free agency it will be. Moore, 28, recorded a 16:9 TD-to-INT ratio, 7.2 YPA, and 60.5 completion rate across 12 starts in 2011. Although he is better suited to a backup role, there are enough QB-needy teams around the NFL that Moore should generate interest.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/50447852/ ... ayer_news/

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:13 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Dolphins QB Matt Moore to test free agent market
Good for him. He'll get more money.
Unfortunately for Matt, he will never be considered more than a caretaker.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:22 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

degs wrote:

Even if competing against Mark Sanchez and Greg McElroy?

I say hes a starter at that point... Good game manager, would surely fit into a system designed around the defense...

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:56 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

He could win the Jets job but who is he going to throw to? They probably won't have Keller back and I believe I've heard Holmes could be a cap casualty.

His best opportunity would be KC if Reid convinces Bowe to stay and provides another WR through the draft. Moore could be a much better version of Cassel.

Arizona wouldn't be a bad option either. Fitzgerald and Floyd...deep ball all day.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:01 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I like Matt Moore. Seeing that he has bounced around the league, I doubt he will be anymore than a backup. Goodluck Matt.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:23 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Nobody is gonna offer him starter pay or a starting job..they will offer him a chance to compete like arizona

But if not he could be back as or back up..I think the staff likes having him around

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:35 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:
Nobody is gonna offer him starter pay or a starting job..they will offer him a chance to compete like arizona

But if not he could be back as or back up..I think the staff likes having him around

Agreed. But in places like NY or Arizona he can easily beat the current competition. I stress the word current.

I think Moore doesn't want to come back to Miami knowing that Tannehill will have a long leash. A team with a shakier QB situation, even if the starter is somewhat entrenched at the moment, might be more attractive.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:56 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The Dolphins will end up regretting it big time if Moore leaves. Stupid move to let a proven commodity go. I can't imagine Moore will cost too much to hang on to him.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:30 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
The Dolphins will end up regretting it big time if Moore leaves. Stupid move to let a proven commodity go. I can't imagine Moore will cost too much to hang on to him.

He wants a chance to play and there are opportunities out there. Its not necessarily Miami's fault if he leaves, unless you want to pay him Mark Sanchez money to do what Mark Sanchez will be doing next year.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:43 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

jammer wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

He wants a chance to play and there are opportunities out there. Its not necessarily Miami's fault if he leaves, unless you want to pay him Mark Sanchez money to do what Mark Sanchez will be doing next year.

Yeah, not sure where the Dolphins fit into this, unless they want to pay him starting money to sit on the bench as insurance....

However Philbin was drooling all over Devlin last off season so I would bet they are happy with sticking with him as the number 2, and grabbing a couple guys for the 3rd string & PS this year...

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:01 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Ii think Matt Moore is very capable of being a starter in this league and being successful. Sadly, the teams that are gonna start him are gonna be troubled teams therefore he will never get a fair shot.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Man, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bucs try to sniff around Moore with the way Schiano has been talking about Freeman lately. Although I'm not sure Schiano's personality is a good fit for Moore.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:36 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Man, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bucs try to sniff around Moore with the way Schiano has been talking about Freeman lately.

I was actually going to post TB as a good place to sign and compete.

He should try to get with a team that has some weapons and a running game.

Arizona and Buffalo make a lot of sense too.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I was actually going to post TB as a good place to sign and compete.

He should try to get with a team that has some weapons and a running game.

Arizona and Buffalo make a lot of sense too.

If I were Moore, based on the offensive talent I'd try TB or AZ. Would love to see him come down here to AZ and toss bombs to Fitz ..... albeit the Cards need to get that O-line straightened out big time.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:41 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

FrustratedFinFan wrote:

What has he proven? If it's that he's as inconsistent as most average QB's in the league than I can agree.

I like the kid, but I don't think Miami will regret anything here.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
What has he proven? If it's that he's as inconsistent as most average QB's in the league than I can agree.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Moore's problem is that the positives on his resume were accomplished with teams that were pretty much in mop up duty situations. Fair or not that is how GMs will look at it. His one chance was on a bad team and he got injured.

He needs to wow in training camp and beat some good teams in pressure situations to silence his critics.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:40 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Moore will get good money and a starting opportunity from somebody.

He's, to me, by far the best Free Agent QB available. And the draft class stinks.

No way he comes back.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Arizona or the Jets are gonna make a trade for Alex Smith

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Arizona or the Jets are gonna make a trade for Alex Smith

You really think the 49'ers would trade him within the divsion?

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:36 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Freeman is dumb as a stump..I was gonna post them but i think they will draft a rookie

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
degs wrote:

Even if competing against Mark Sanchez and Greg McElroy?

I say hes a starter at that point... Good game manager, would surely fit into a system designed around the defense...

My point is that he will always be the guy he was with the Dolphins: someone who will get opportunities to start, but only until the team can draft his replacement. He is a caretaker, not a guy any franchise wants at the helm for too long

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:56 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Moore is in for a rude awakening. When backup offer after backup offer keeps coming his way I think the reality of his situation will sink in. He'll wind up signing somewhere else for the high end of the backup quarterback salary scale, right where he belongs.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Moore is in for a rude awakening. When backup offer after backup offer keeps coming his way I think the reality of his situation will sink in. He'll wind up signing somewhere else for the high end of the backup quarterback salary scale, right where he belongs.

.... and then there's real life.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:32 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

wkloiber13 wrote:

Look, we all know he stole your high school sweet heart from right under your nose, but you need to move on.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Look, we all know he stole your high school sweet heart from right under your nose, but you need to move on.

Where is Matt Moore going to be a long term starter?

I know you want to crack jokes because you think I hate the guy (I actually want us to re-sign him as Tannehill's backup). But lets be honest, where would he be given a starting job? I don't think there is a single team in the NFL that he could walk in a win the starting job next year. He failed to do it in Carolina. He failed to do it in Miami. Please give me one team that he could walk in and hands down be the starter. I don't see it.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

.... and then there's real life.

So you think he'll get a starting quarterback's contract somewhere else? You think he's actually going to get a shot to start somewhere else?

I just don't see him getting a Matt Flynn type of deal. There is too much film on the guy, he's too well known around the league as a great backup. I think whoever is looking at Matt Moore will be a team that wants a good backup quarterback and isn't afraid to pay him a fair amount of money to be the backup. I just don't think too many teams will be shopping Moore as a starter.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
So you think he'll get a starting quarterback's contract somewhere else? You think he's actually going to get a shot to start somewhere else?

I just don't see him getting a Matt Flynn type of deal. There is too much film on the guy, he's too well known around the league as a great backup. I think whoever is looking at Matt Moore will be a team that wants a good backup quarterback and isn't afraid to pay him a fair amount of money to be the backup. I just don't think too many teams will be shopping Moore as a starter.

There's plenty of talent there to warrant giving him a shot to "compete" to start and that is exactly what the team that signs him does. He's proven he's capable of handling the load. He knows it, that's why he's exploring free-agency and not settling for the light backup offer he got from us. There are are multiple situations (some we already discussed in this thread) where his services could be used, especially with a weaker QB draft class coming out.

I don't think there's a person on here though making an argument that he's getting Matt Flynn money, so I don't know why you even feel compelled to bring that non-existent point up.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
You think he's actually going to get a shot to start somewhere else?

Yes. He will get a chance to compete for a starting job.

Absolutely no doubt

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:08 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Please give me one team that he could walk in and hands down be the starter.

Seeing that Gabbert hasn't done squat and Henne holds the longest losing streak in the NFL, Moore is better than both of the QBs. Remember? He came in and won atthe end of '11.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:35 pm

Nothing for Nothing but if he goes we better have a back up. There is always that injury thing & as good a most of us would like to think Tannehill looked , better QB's have slumped in their second year (and beyond).

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:00 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Nothing for Nothing but if he goes we better have a back up. There is always that injury thing & as good a most of us would like to think Tannehill looked , better QB's have slumped in their second year (and beyond

Like I said, draft a QB every year.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

In plain English... Matt Moore is an average QB at best.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:34 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Nothing for Nothing but if he goes we better have a back up. There is always that injury thing & as good a most of us would like to think Tannehill looked , better QB's have slumped in their second year (and beyond

Like I said, draft a QB every year.

How do you fit them all on the roster?

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:28 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

In plain English... Matt Moore is an average QB at best.

By the definition of average, that would make him better than half the QB's in the league.
I don't think he's at that level, but he will get a shot to compete for a starting job. Absolutely no doubt.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:29 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

degs wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
You think he's actually going to get a shot to start somewhere else?

Yes. He will get a chance to compete for a starting job.

Absolutely no doubt

Pro Football Focus graded him really well in 2011. I remember being impressed with him in that he handled pressure with a cool head and always pushed the ball downfield. He had a 19 TD to 6 INT ratio. My only concern for him is that he seems to take too long to learn a new offense. He may lose out in preseason wherever he goes. The sooner he finds a new team, the better once free agency begins.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/data/b ... numgames=1

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:10 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

degs wrote:
By the definition of average, that would make him better than half the QB's in the league.
I don't think he's at that level, but he will get a shot to compete for a starting job. Absolutely no doubt.

Which is what makes IamPZ's comments so funny.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:56 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

How do you fit them all on the roster?

He would take Moore's spot. Next year, you draft another one and dump Delvin or if Delvin becomes "Mr. August" you trade him. Not every QB will make the roster. Maybe hit a gem.

Pro Football Focus graded him really well in 2011

The problem with Moore is that he couldn't beat teams with winning records. He had the Giants game in his hands and he threw a pick.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:05 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Look at what Washington did last year.....They will likely trade there backup for a 1st round pick

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Pro Football Focus graded him really well in 2011

The problem with Moore is that he couldn't beat teams with winning records. He had the Giants game in his hands and he threw a pick.

And yet you get on people for being impatient with Tanny.

You realize that was only Moore's 15th start of his career right?

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next