View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Dolphins planning $400M in upgrades 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins planning $400M in upgrades
Thoughts?

FOX Sports wrote:
Dolphins planning $400M in upgrades

Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross unveiled a plan to modernize Sun Life Stadium on Monday, and promising to personally cover the majority of the $400 million estimated cost of the project.

The rest would come from tax dollars, and that would likely need approval from both state and local lawmakers. However, Ross said that any public dollars for the project would not result in higher taxes for residents of Miami-Dade County.

Instead, the Dolphins are looking for a slightly higher hotel tax in the county, as well as a larger state sales-tax rebate. And in return for the deal, the Dolphins say the deal would keep them in South Florida through at least 2034, though stopped short of saying that not getting public money would jeopardize the franchise's future.

''There's only a limited amount of capital you can put into something,'' Ross said, when asked why the Dolphins aren't choosing to fund the entire project.

The Dolphins' hope is to keep the stadium an attractive destination for major events like Super Bowls - such as the game's 50th installment, to come after the 2015 season - and college football's championship games.

They plan to add about 3,600 new seats closer to the field, improved amenities and a canopy roof that would shield fans from the elements of South Florida's often-harsh weather while preserving a natural-grass playing surface.

These plans are not entirely new. When the Miami area lost in the voting to host the 2014 Super Bowl, local tourism officials were even talking then about things like more seats, better sight lines and a 621,000-square-foot roof which many then called an ''umbrella,'' perhaps still mindful of the scene in February 2007 when fans ran for cover as strong rain came down during the Indianapolis-Chicago title game.

''We have the best weather in the winter in this country,'' Ross said. ''We sometimes forget that fact.''

The notion of asking for public money comes at a particularly thorny time in South Florida, where many residents were outraged at the deal the Miami Marlins got for their new ballpark.

That $634 million facility opened last year amid great fanfare, and with the Marlins carrying a $112 million payroll. The team finished last in the NL East and dealt away a slew of its top players, including Hanley Ramirez, Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle. The Marlins - who played at Sun Life until getting their own park - have a projected 2013 payroll of about $45.75 million.

''I would say that the only thing we can control is the way we behave and the way we act and the way we approach the partnership,'' Dolphins CEO Mike Dee said. ''We can't undo what's been done in the past, nor would it be fair for us to opine on what could have been done differently. We live here, so we're aware of the view, aware of the public backlash and we have to go about our business very carefully.

''There is a solution where everybody wins here,'' Dee added. ''There doesn't have to be a winner or a loser in every one of these transactions.''

Two of South Florida's major hotels, the Loews Miami Beach and the InterContinental Miami, released statements Monday supporting the Dolphins' plans regarding the stadium.

The Dolphins said the construction deal would result in the creation of about 4,000 jobs, bring international soccer events to the stadium regularly, and create a more comfortable environment for fans. Other amenity improvements would include better lighting and scoreboards.

The Miami Hurricanes, who play their football home games in the 25-year-old stadium, also say they are supporting the plan.

''Every day that goes by, this place gets a day older,'' Dee said. ''What's the long-term future of the Dolphins and the other tenants at this stadium if nothing is done? If we take these steps now and address these needs, we believe this can serve the anchor tenants as well as special events for another quarter-century.''

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Dolp ... s-17119663

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:39 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dolphins planning $400M in upgrades
They certainly don't need additional seating for the Dolphins games.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:11 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Here's an article from the Herald including a video with renditions of the upgrades. Ross is in talks to hold a major international soccer tournament at Sunlife.............in which additional seating will be required.

I don't live in Miami, so modernizing the facility is cool with me. However, I'm not going to spend my $$ to experience the facility. Got to put a winning team on the field............one playoff appearance in the last 10 years isn't going to cut it.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/15/3182935/miami-dolphins-sun-life-stadium.html

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:35 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I am just very excited that part of the Ross plan is to move the seats way closer to the field to bring back the old Orange Bowl 12th man advantage!!!!

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

$634m to build the Marlins a stadium from scratch.
$400m in upgrades is a heck of a lot of upgrades. Hope it makes it one of the best stadiums in all of pro sports

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ross needs to put up the coin and build a new stadium. They can call it a "modernization" or whatever, but at the end of the day they're just delaying the inevitable, which is building a new stadium. No matter how much they spend now they'll still wind up spending more in another 10 years. He needs to just build something similar to what Jerry built in Dallas and call it good. I've seen Cowboys Stadium, it's fracking beautiful. Not only that, it's climate controlled. If he does that the stadium will become a destination for more than just football games.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Agreed. If you're gonna spend ridiculous money on upgrading something, you might as well spend a little more and get it brand new....

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:38 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

wkloiber13 wrote:
Ross needs to put up the coin and build a new stadium. They can call it a "modernization" or whatever, but at the end of the day they're just delaying the inevitable, which is building a new stadium. No matter how much they spend now they'll still wind up spending more in another 10 years. He needs to just build something similar to what Jerry built in Dallas and call it good. I've seen Cowboys Stadium, it's fracking beautiful. Not only that, it's climate controlled. If he does that the stadium will become a destination for more than just football games.

Cowboy Stadium cost over $1.2 billion to build, triple the cost of what is being proposed here. And the problem is that right now the stadium is in a great location, right by the Dade/Broward county line so you can get fans from both major metropolitan areas. There aren't too many locations to build a stadium where the Dolphins could get this and there isn't a place for them to play if they tear this one up and rebuild on the same location.

That's why modernizing it makes the most sense.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:04 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

They need a Dolphin hall of fame and a shopping center around the stadium like Patriot place.

Make it a destination.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:11 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:
Cowboy Stadium cost over $1.2 billion to build, triple the cost of what is being proposed here. And the problem is that right now the stadium is in a great location, right by the Dade/Broward county line so you can get fans from both major metropolitan areas. There aren't too many locations to build a stadium where the Dolphins could get this and there isn't a place for them to play if they tear this one up and rebuild on the same location.

Definately, not to mention the ease of access to & from, mainly being right on the tpk/tpk extension you can go a few different easy routes to get north, south, west or east. Getting out of the lot after a packed game is the toughest part, once out of the lot its smooth sailing.

The bottom line is and always will be, if they cant put a winning team on the field they wont fill seats regardless of how nice the stadium is.

Ross will not invest all the $ because it wont pay off, he has no plans on owning this team for the next 20 years. He wants to capitalize on his investment. Renovate the team, and stadium and sell it for a profit...

Thats my belief anyway..

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:41 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Glad I dont live in Dade / Broward county. How many sports facilities can these people keep footing the bill for. Those counties quality of living continue to decline while tax bills go up. Let these owners pay for these stadiums & upgrades themselves. I wouldnt give Ross the sweat off the back of a midget ant!! This is all to score more super bowls to line his pockets. The stadium is friggin empty most of the time , maybe they can fudge the attendance records like the Marlins to get it passed by the voters.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:53 pm

FINesse wrote:
This is all to score more super bowls to line his pockets.

Superbowls also bring money to the South Florida economy, along with concerts, wrestling events and soccer games, which for some reason attract more fans than anything else.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:13 pm

Rich wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Superbowls also bring money to the South Florida economy, along with concerts, wrestling events and soccer games, which for some reason attract more fans than anything else.

I can think of a pretty good reason.;)

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Bottom line to me is if it is good for the Dolphins then the rest of it is just the icing on the cake to me. Especially if Ross is funding it himself. And an improved stadium is good for the Dolphins

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:50 pm

It seems from the wording that public money is involved. Hopefully maybe from corporations rather than individuals. As far as the closer seats go .... just count on those going to fans of other teams. Typical Miami fans are being forced out in favor of the club level suite buying fan. Ross does not want the fan who will be buying a hot dog & a beer , he wants the fan who will be buying stone crabs & top shelf liquor. It is a major concern presented to Paul Dee at recent web weekends which he did not answer. But on the other hand , this team does not sell out even when winning. They dont even sell out playoff games (yes there was a time when we made the playoffs) and just wait until we have another home schedule like this year where there are more people at a Hooters than at the stadium , except of course for the NE , NY & Buffalo games. Improving the area would be great however , you see we love the expression taking my talents to south beach but reality is the area of the stadium is more like south Philly or south Detroit and is far from the beach. The closest beach is a backyard with a sandbox , inflatable pool & a chair with an umbrella. Look , I just hate seeing the taxpayers who have been beaten down so bad already being asked to foot the bill for something else which is not a necessity to improve quality of life & honestly can be funded by people who can afford to do so. But that is not how sports facilities are funded here. The public is lied to. Deceived into paying for another playground for the elite. This is not beneficial for the Dolphins is the bottom line , it is beneficial for certain individuals.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:33 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

No FINess you read it right.. They are requestiong 200 mil in pub funding...

http://wlrn.org/post/dolphins-unveil-stadium-renovation-plan-taxpayers-half-would-come-200-million

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:20 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
No FINess you read it right.. They are requestiong 200 mil in pub funding...

http://wlrn.org/post/dolphins-unveil-stadium-renovation-plan-taxpayers-half-would-come-200-million

From what I originally read, only a small portion of the money was public funds. HALF is not a small portion.

I can see road and rail upgrades coming from public money, but that's about it. The stadium is a commercial venture. Let the people who expect to make a profit from it pay for it

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Our owner is a big time real estate developer. If he wanted to build a new stadium, I'm sure he'd find a way to get it done.

With regards to the price, it doesn't have to be exactly like the Cowboys stadium. You could build something similar to what the Colts built in Lucas Oil Stadium. That is a beautiful stadium and it only cost $720M. They hosted a Super Bowl and they have the combine there every year.

But honestly, if the Marlins can get $600M for a new stadium, then I see no reason why the Dolphins and Hurricanes can't get $1.0B for a full blown top of the line football stadium.

New York spent $1.6B on their stadium. Dallas spent $1.2B on their stadium. From what I've read the 49ers are spending $1.2B on their stadium. Bottom line, if the Dolphins want to keep pace and build a stadium that will continue to bring events like the Super Bowl, Pro Bowl, etc to it's seats, then the stadium will need to be done right.

If they spend $400M "modernizing" it now, they'll just wind up spending even more when they go to build a new stadium ten years from now when they want to keep pace with other newer stadiums. They just need to tear off the band-aid now and get it over with.

To me this whole "modernization" sounds a lot like a bunch of new seats and flat screens. It sounds like Ross is trying to keep the Super Bowl in Miami the cheapest way possible.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:

I really like Dolphins stadium...........it's easy to get in and out and all the parking is around the stadium. If you ever been to Redskin game.......you''ll know what I'm talking about.......horrible stadium and if you try to leave at the end of the game, expect to sit in traffic for 2-3 hours.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:04 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
If they spend $400M "modernizing" it now, they'll just wind up spending even more when they go to build a new stadium ten years from now when they want to keep pace with other newer stadiums. They just need to tear off the band-aid now and get it over with.

To me this whole "modernization" sounds a lot like a bunch of new seats and flat screens. It sounds like Ross is trying to keep the Super Bowl in Miami the cheapest way possible.

$1 Billion is a LOT of money. Easy to say how to spend it and what is right and wrong when it's not yours and you have no stake in it. Say what you want about Ross, he hasn't been cheap. And I will defer to him when he wants to triple his spend so he can make more money. He's done a lot better than me, and I'll wager a lot better than you.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Quote:
But honestly, if the Marlins can get $600M for a new stadium, then I see no reason why the Dolphins and Hurricanes can't get $1.0B for a full blown top of the line football stadium.

Because they lied ... see the article http://www.wptv.com/dpp/sports/marlins-president-david-samson-says-team-lied-about-season-ticket-sales
and although it is a different franchise the taste of that still lingers. And honestly this is not the Don Shula Dolphins anymore. The franchise has lost its appeal & importance in the community.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]