View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Flacco and Ryan are good comparisons for Ryan Tannehill 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Flacco and Ryan are good comparisons for Ryan Tannehill
No one is saying that Tanne-thrill is the savior, but Dolphins fans eat their own when it comes to quarterbacks. I was at fault in the other regard and had too much patience for Chad Henne. He's clearly backup material and plays things too safe with all of his checkdowns. I wonder if that is a product of the coaching he received here.

Quote:
Flacco and Ryan are good comparisons for Ryan Tannehill.

You need a great quarterback, and everyone looks at Ryan Tannehill's rookie season to see if there are clues he can be that (I'm notably on board). Just look at the quarterbacks. Tom Brady is 35 and has won three Super Bowls. Colin Kaepernick, in his second year and second months as a starter, was stunning. But Dolphins fans should look at the careers of the others two quarterbacks to advance - Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco. For the last few years, local fans in Atlanta and Baltimore have pounded Ryan and Flacco. The chorus was obvious. Ryan can't win a playoff game. Flacco can't pick up a team on his back and carry it. Now, in their fifth year, they both came through with the kind of games they supposedly couldn't have. Ryan, who made a brutal decision that resulted in a fourth-quarter interception, got the ball with 30 seconds left and did enough to get a winning field goal out of it (Just asking: If the 47-yard field goal misses, as Tannehill saw happen twice this year, is Ryan the goat and not the hero?) Flacco kept bringing Baltimore back when the special teams and defense failed. Tannehill didn't enter the league with anything close to the help these two had. But sometimes letting careers play out is the best way. The people yelling loudest can sound right in the moment as a young quarterback tried to find his way. But letting things work out is always the better way.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 3808.story

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:36 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Flacco and Ryan are good comparisons for Ryan Tannehill
Far as I am concerned he gets 3 years starting, I feel that is only fair. Let them put the players around him, see if he progresses and go from there...

Ryan and Flacco threw more TD's than picks every year since entering the league... So lets start by trying mimic that from here on out...

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:59 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Big Dave wrote:
The people yelling loudest can sound right in the moment

Wise words.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:26 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I know people don't want to hear it, but Ryan and Flacco had better teams around them in their rookie season.

If Ireland does his job and puts a few playmakers around Tannehill this year then he can be held to the Ryan/Flacco standard.

Part of this is coaching too.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:48 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I know people don't want to hear it, but Ryan and Flacco had better teams around them in their rookie season.

Yep

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:28 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Did Ryan start in Atlanta the year after Vick was suspended , Parcells screwed them to come here and their coach quit during the season?? If so they were a mess and were in worse shape than we are now when Tannehill got here. As far as everyone else having more talent , that is just a reflection on the guys running our ship as other teams were able to turn their fortunes around while we have not.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Makchell wrote:

Yep

What? But the Falcons didn't have a LT when they drafted Ryan...I thought "having the QB doesn't matter if you don't have somebody to protect him?"

:hithead:

I loathe Parcells with a passion.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:05 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

FINesse wrote:
Did Ryan start in Atlanta the year after Vick was suspended , Parcells screwed them to come here and their coach quit during the season?? If so they were a mess and were in worse shape than we are now when Tannehill got here. As far as everyone else having more talent , that is just a reflection on the guys running our ship as other teams were able to turn their fortunes around while we have not.

Parcells was supposed to go to ATL and at the last minute backed out and came here... Had he not, chances are Mike Smith would have been our HC....

At least thats what i remember the rumor mill spinning.. Only thing I know was fact is that Parcells made all the empty promises, then left them to come here before signing anything..
Guy is a word class scumbag...

Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:15 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Yep

What? But the Falcons didn't have a LT when they drafted Ryan...I thought "having the QB doesn't matter if you don't have somebody to protect him?"

:hithead:

I loathe Parcells with a passion.

Didn't they spend their second 1st round pick on Sam Baker to protect him? Still there and doing just fine. They had Roddy White, signed Michael Turner and acquired Tony Gonzalez.

Ravens had McGahee, drafted Ray Rice, had Derick Mason and Todd Heap They also had Le'Ron McClain running like a maniac.

Amazing how much better a young QB can perform with playmakers.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Tannehill needs to find his own path. At the end of the day being the quarterback of the Miami Dolphins is a very different beast than most quarterback jobs in the NFL. When you have to play on a team and overcome years and years of bad drafting and poor free agent signings, it is a lot to ask of a young quarterback. If being the Dolphins quarterback was easy we would have found a franchise quarterback over a decade ago. But something about this franchise makes it very hard for guys to stick. Blame it on management, blame it on coaching, blame it on the owner, blame it on South Beach, blame it on whatever you want, being the quarterback of the Miami Dolphins is a tough gig. If Tannehill is going to succeed, he will need to overcome all of the factors that have led to the failures of so many. The odds are definitely against him if you ask me. But I'm pulling for him.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]