View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 What if... 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post What if...
What if we did this: resign Reggie Bush on the condition he would accept moving to WR, go all in on Jennings, and then draft another WR early in the second round. I have no idea why this staff didn't try to use him more in that role, but I think Reggie would be a great WR. He made moves in open space that were unbeliable this year, and has great hands. It's such a waste to have him run for five yards and get beaten up, while hoping for that one moment when he breaks free, when he could have three of those wow type moments in a game at WR.

That would certainly fix our WR position for years to come, and allow us to pick up some other vital parts we need this year, as well. Whether anybody wants to hear it or not, I'm thinking Miami has to consider using its first pick on the OL. Even though it burns me, that we drafted and paid Long so much only to let him go now, I think we have to. I wouldn't pay him that much, when clearly his health is so questionable and he may be a bad fit for this zone blocking scheme. I'm also not very sanguine on Martin replacing him, and think we need to draft a LT and RT, moving Martin to guard. And even if we did, we still need depth.

We can use FA to fill out our other holes. Cook or Keller at TE, but keeping Fasano. Resign Sean Smith, but go after another big name corner. I would also look hard at the Giants, an see if we couldn't lure away one of their pass rushers, about to hit FA.

All very doable, and then Miami would be a serious playoff contender.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:36 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: What if...
resign Reggie Bush on the condition he would accept moving to WR

THis kind of stuff hardly ever works....I highly doubt it.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:51 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

If they resign him he'll likely be more of a utility player than a pure RB like he's been...But a full conversion to WR? No....

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:53 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:
If they resign him he'll likely be more of a utility player than a pure RB like he's been...But a full conversion to WR? No....

You really don't think it would work? His skills translate better as a WR than runningback.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:09 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Why would we re-sign Bush as a receiver? Receivers make more money than runningbacks. Also, if we did sign Bush as a receiver, I'm assuming you mean to make him a slot receiver. Then why would we sign Jennings? Jennings plays a lot of slot receiver in Green Bay. With Bess already in house that would make three guys that play slot receiver. I know Jennings can play on the outside, but he's at his best when he's moving around and playing all over the field. It would be a waste to simply stick him outside and keep him there because we have a logjam in the slot.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:26 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

apatos19 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

You really don't think it would work? His skills translate better as a WR than runningback.

Which skills are those? His ability to precisely run the entire route tree, his ability to beat press coverage or his ability to beat defenders for jump balls?

Oh wait, he hasn't shown any of those because he's made a career out of catching passes out of the backfield on screens and dump offs.

It's not that simple to translate to receiver.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:49 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Speed to create seperation. The ability to create YAC, Good hands. I don't know if he has the disipline to learn and run routes precisely, but if i thought he did and was willing, I would give this a try.

I'm not the only one who had this idea, and I believe a reporter asked him if he would be receptive to a move to WR, and he said if it helps the team. Now that question and statement has to be taken in context, because it was asked before the last game of the season, when Bess was out.

I like Bush, and he's one FA, I really want to see resigned, but not as a featured back in this zone blocking scheme. I think he's an ill fit there.

Just something to ponder, as we wait and see what happens. There is no guarantee, we'll land a big name in FA.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:12 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Everyone is saying no and beating down on the suggestion but I'm pretty sure New England does it with all their "utility" players and does it very well.

Who was that, Shane Vereen?, who caught the long ball in the playoff game?

Anything can be done with the right coaching.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:14 pm

apatos19 wrote:
Speed to create seperation.

The number one thing to create separation is good route running. Speed is worthless if you can't use it to run precise routes.

See Ted Ginn.

I just don't see Bush lining up at flanker and being as successful a pass catcher as he is coming out of the backfield. It takes a different skillset to do that.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If re-signed he'll line up at receiver a lot more. One comment Philbin or Sherman made in regards to the topic was they wanted him to learn how to be a running back in their system first. Spend this spring and summer teaching him the receiving aspect and he becomes the utility weapon you want on the field at all times.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
If re-signed he'll line up at receiver a lot more. One comment Philbin or Sherman made in regards to the topic was they wanted him to learn how to be a running back in their system first. Spend this spring and summer teaching him the receiving aspect and he becomes the utility weapon you want on the field at all times.

Well that strategy is completely useless if we do not resign him. He is a highly diligent worker, leader, and praises the team when talked to by the media...doesn't bring them down. He ups the morale. I'd like to see him split 50/50 with Lamar and line him out as a receiver several plays a game as well. We could really fake out and give the opposing defense fits by doing this. It was a shame to see his lack of snaps in the receiving part of the game this year. It's a waste of talent if you ask me, and the vast majority of the fan base. He won't demand a big contract, I truly believe he is a quality guy physically and mentally.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]