View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 OT: Manti Te'o inspirational dead girlfriend story a hoax 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: OT: Manti Te'o inspirational dead girlfriend story a hoax
Rich wrote:
Well Rock, we know what a stand up guy you are. How difficult it must be to be such an example for the rest of us. You always make the right choice.

There is a huge difference between him being in on it and purposely using it to benefit and him being duped and not knowing how to properly handle the situation. People make mistakes all the time, except you I guess.

OK let's try this again. Manti told Notre Dame officials that she wasn't real back on Dec. 6th but he's in the media continuing to talk about her as his deceased girlfriend multiple times after that date.

How is that not benefitting? Awaiting an adequate explanation, but you'll probably toss another personal zinger at me to deflect.

Quote:
What is befuddling is your lack of reading comprehension. That isn't what I said. They may be reporting this thing 100% accurately, however there is enough precedence there by the media to run with a story and create a narrative for me to not simply take what they say as gospel.

If you want to be that gullible, more power to you. But then you'd probably be just as easily duped as this guy probably was.

Ya, I'm as gullible as your are oblivious. I love how suddenly this has turned into a discussion about "Rock Sexton" instead of sticking to the facts that are out there PUBLISHED IN PRINT and MANTI'S OWN COMMENTS ON VIDEO!

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:42 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:
Correction .... Dec. 6th is the date he told the Notre Dame AD that he learned of the girl being fake. So again, he's in the media talking about her as his "deceased girlfriend" a handful of times after the fact.

Quote:
-Dec. 26: Te'o informs coaching staff. Just shy of three weeks after the initial call, Te'o briefs Brian Kelly and defensive coordinator Bob Diaco on the developing situation. Kelly and Diaco then tell Swarbrick.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... e/1842389/

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:43 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Manti told Notre Dame officials that she wasn't real back on Dec. 6th but he's in the media continuing to talk about her as his deceased girlfriend multiple times after that date.

Quote:
-Dec. 26: Te'o informs coaching staff. Just shy of three weeks after the initial call, Te'o briefs Brian Kelly and defensive coordinator Bob Diaco on the developing situation. Kelly and Diaco then tell Swarbrick.

Quote:
Ya, I'm as gullible as your are oblivious. I love how suddenly this has turned into a discussion about "Rock Sexton" instead of sticking to the facts that are out there PUBLISHED IN PRINT and MANTI'S OWN COMMENTS ON VIDEO!

Too bad you don't even have your facts straight.

Quote:

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
According to Notre Dame's timeline of events, Te'o learned his girlfriend didn't exist on Dec. 6.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/manti-teos-fak ... d=18246589

That dated is listed on many other news outlets as well.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:46 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Quote:
According to Notre Dame's timeline of events, Te'o learned his girlfriend didn't exist on Dec. 6.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/manti-teos-fak ... d=18246589

You just said that he told them on Dec 6, he told them on Dec 26th.

Let's see if you are "stand up" enough to admit you had your facts wrong...

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

So Notre Dame's AD is a liar right Rich? LOL

Quote:
But the most amazing revelation from the press conference came when Swarbrick said Te’o first approached the school about a potential hoax after claiming to have received a phone call from the girlfriend on Dec. 6 after her supposed September death.

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-foo ... end/170564

He told his coaches AFTER he told the AD.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
So Notre Dame's AD is a liar right Rich? LOL

Quote:
But the most amazing revelation from the press conference came when Swarbrick said Te’o first approached the school about a potential hoax after claiming to have received a phone call from the girlfriend on Dec. 6 after her supposed September death.

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-foo ... end/170564

He told his coaches AFTER he told the AD.

From the article you just posted...

Quote:
Swarbrick says the coaches informed him about the incident, and that he spoke with Te’o about it on Dec. 27 and 28.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
From the article you just posted...

Quote:
Swarbrick says the coaches informed him about the incident, and that he spoke with Te’o about it on Dec. 27 and 28.

Let's say he told the coaches on your date, but he learned of it being a hoax on December 6th when he got a phone call from her AFTER her supposed passing .....

He made the following comment on Dec. 8th

Quote:
At the Heisman Trophy presentation Dec. 8 in New York, ESPN's Chris Fowler asked Te'o what moment of his very public story of tragedy he would remember.

"I think I'll never forget the time when I found out that, you know, my girlfriend passed away and the first person to run to my aid was my defensive coordinator, Coach [Bob] Diaco, and you know he said something very profound to me," Te'o said. "He said, 'This is where your faith is tested.' Right after that, I ran into the players' lounge and I got on the phone with my parents -- and I opened my eyes and my head coach was sitting right there. And so, you know, there are a hundred-plus people on our team and the defensive coordinator and our head coach took time to just go get one [of those players]. You know I think that was the most meaningful to me."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... owing-hoax

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:58 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Let's say he told the coaches on your date, but he learned of it being a hoax on December 6th when he got a phone call from her AFTER her supposed passing .....

He made the following comment on Dec. 8th

I'm fully aware that he mentioned her on at least two ocassions after he got the call on December 6th.

That doesn't mean he was deliberately lying to benefit from it. As I said, he could have been deluding himself into believing it wasn't a hoax or he may have been so embarassed by the whole situation that he wasn't sure how to handle it.

Not every mistake has nefarious intent.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
I'm fully aware that he mentioned her on at least two ocassions after he got the call on December 6th.

That doesn't mean he was deliberately lying to benefit from it. As I said, he could have been deluding himself into believing it wasn't a hoax or he may have been so embarassed by the whole situation that he wasn't sure how to handle it.

What? Look at that comment at the Heisman event. He knew her to be dead back in September, but got a phone call in December then goes on to make that grand-standing comment about the time she passed away? And there's more comments just like that up until Dec. 26th, the date you call call into question.

How can he delude himself when he knew her to be dead almost 4 months earlier? He wasn't asked about the girl either just "tragedy he endured", he brought her up himself. Didn't bring up his grandmother.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:05 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
What? Look at that comment at the Heisman event. He knew her to be dead back in September, but got a phone call in December then goes on to make that grand-standing comment about the time she passed away? And there's more comments just like that up until Dec. 26th, the date you call call into question.

How can he delude himself when he knew her to be dead almost 4 months earlier? He wasn't asked about the girl either, he just brought her up himself.

*sigh* Your problem is you're so deluded in your own arguments that you don't take the time to properly read and interpret what others are saying and basically start having conversations by yourself.

You clearly have not understood anything I've said in this thread.

Take the time to read it and comprehend it and then we can continue having a discussion... or don't.

I don't really care either way.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:09 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
*sigh* Your problem is you're so deluded in your own arguments that you don't take the time to properly read and interpret what others are saying and basically start having conversations by yourself.

You clearly have not understood anything I've said in this thread.

Take the time to read it and comprehend it and then we can continue having a discussion... or don't.

I don't really care either way.

You do care. As witnessed by your responses.

The guy knew his fake girlfriend died in September. He gets a call on Dec.6th from her which he notified ND officials about ..... but he's in the media making emotional comments about her passing after the 6th and before he notified ND around Dec. 26th.

Yeaaaah. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Yeaaaah. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Yes... that's what I've been saying this whole time. :youwin:

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Yes... that's what I've been saying this whole time. :youwin:

LOL

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

How can he delude himself when he knew her to be dead almost 4 months earlier? He wasn't asked about the girl either just "tragedy he endured", he brought her up himself. Didn't bring up his grandmother.

that's what I have a problem with. After he knew it was all B.S. he kept going to that 'dead girlfriend' well for sympathy.
I think what his teammates are saying is true, he feeds off attention.
I knew a girl like that once. And she actually made up a pretend death of a friend for attention.
That's scary to me.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:19 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

What's also concerning is that after December 26th, leading up the BCS title game, Notre Dame LET HIM answer questions about Kekua. Not only that, but Te'o voluntarily brought her up...

I was reading the transcript of one press conference prior to the National Championship game, post December 26th, and he was asked to summarize the season as a whole thus far, and he started his answer by talking about how tough it was because of the death of his girlfriend....

I'm completely baffled as to why you would do that. After it's being investigated...whether he was hoaxed or not, why on earth would you do that?

One team mate said yesterday that the team knew the girl wasn't really his girlfriend, but that he played along with all of it and exaggerated it when the sympathy was coming from the outside because he loves the attention. From there it snowballed....I'm starting to think this has some truth to it.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:28 pm

swerve13 wrote:
that's what I have a problem with. After he knew it was all B.S. he kept going to that 'dead girlfriend' well for sympathy.

Its easy to sit there and judge, but if this guy was being duped, then he was in a relationship with this fake girl for three years and heavily invested emotionally and two days after getting that call he was probably clueless as to how to handle it. If he was duped, then I don't think he was looking to benefit out of mentioning her, he was probably just more embarassed than anything that he wasted three years of his life and four months of staying up all night on the phone or whatever it was with someone who was fake.

I think the real question that needs to be asked is why was a guy like this guy, at a university full of hot chicks, who could have had his pick of any of them, dating some online girl he never met.

Again, I don't think there was nefarious intent here IF he wasn't in on the hoax. He was gullible enough to date some online chick for three years without meeting her so he probably isn't mentally astute enough to handle what happened later or even what is happening now.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
What's also concerning is that after December 26th, leading up the BCS title game, Notre Dame LET HIM answer questions about Kekua. Not only that, but Te'o voluntarily brought her up...

I was reading the transcript of one press conference prior to the National Championship game, post December 26th, and he was asked to summarize the season as a whole thus far, and he started his answer by talking about how tough it was because of the death of his girlfriend....

I'm completely baffled as to why you would do that. After it's being investigated...whether he was hoaxed or not, why on earth would you do that?

One team mate said yesterday that the team knew the girl wasn't really his girlfriend, but that he played along with all of it and exaggerated it when the sympathy was coming from the outside because he loves the attention. From there it snowballed....I'm starting to think this has some truth to it.

I bet that entire team always thought he was a weirdo with talent.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Its easy to sit there and judge, but if this guy was being duped, then he was in a relationship with this fake girl for three years and heavily invested emotionally and two days after getting that call he was probably clueless as to how to handle it. If he was duped, then I don't think he was looking to benefit out of mentioning her, he was probably just more embarassed than anything that he wasted three years of his life and four months of staying up all night on the phone or whatever it was with someone who was fake.

I think the real question that needs to be asked is why was a guy like this guy, at a university full of hot chicks, who could have had his pick of any of them, dating some online girl he never met.

Again, I don't think there was nefarious intent here IF he wasn't in on the hoax. He was gullible enough to date some online chick for three years without meeting her so he probably isn't mentally astute enough to handle what happened later or even what is happening now.

i agree with alot of that Rich, either way he seems really weird to me. Even his family seems weird. So i would not like to draft Te'o and his family. LOL

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:46 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Here is a question. What does it matter? I mean really...... who cares? People do strange stuff. What is odder to me is how others obsess over completely meaningless junk. haha wow! Lance Armstrong defrauds the cycling world for 7 Tour De France trophies and this guy has a fake girlfriend and ends up getting most of the press. Really? Too funny

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:28 pm

Phin wrote:
Here is a question. What does it matter? I mean really...... who cares? People do strange stuff. What is odder to me is how others obsess over completely meaningless junk. haha wow! Lance Armstrong defrauds the cycling world for 7 Tour De France trophies and this guy has a fake girlfriend and ends up getting most of the press. Really? Too funny

There are American hostages in Algeria, but I'd rather crucify Te'o for getting duped.

I have my priorities straight.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:34 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:

There are American hostages in Algeria, but I'd rather crucify Te'o for getting duped.

More like never miss an opportunity to spar with Rock Sexton

:fart: :ann0y:

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:

:fart: :ann0y:

Nah, because he "doesn't care" remember? Image

Phin wrote:

See, if you actually read up on the Armstrong saga you'd see how much harrassment and all the problems he caused for other people for the sake of covering up his lie. He crushed people, some in the industry who could no longer make a living. He was downright ego-maniacal about it. Not to mention he loved being paraded around as a hero, whom a lot of people gladly accepted .... especially the youth. Look how large that "Live Strong" movement became. C'mon man. He virtually transcended cycling. His influece wasn't locked into that arena.

He's another sad tale of cheaters in professional sports and that is why people should care. Gonna be that way until the time that others do not look to these figures as motivation and inflence.

You may not care about phonies .... but doesn't make the desire to discuss it any less valid. Sorry if we interrupted your tea time. Please pass the Earl Grey. Pinkies up!

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

How does somebody talking about Manti Te'o make it so that they don't care about hostages in Algeria?

What, because it wasn't posted about in the Dolphins message board? Man in that case, I better jot down all my thoughts/concerns on this board, otherwise technically they don't exist.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:13 pm

10acjed wrote:

Sparring is a good word, because the sparring partner usually takes a good beating.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:15 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

How does somebody talking about Manti Te'o make it so that they don't care about hostages in Algeria?

What, because it wasn't posted about in the Dolphins message board? Man in that case, I better jot down all my thoughts/concerns on this board, otherwise technically they don't exist.

Once again you miss the point.

I guess that's what happens when you can't differentiate December 6th from December 26th.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Sparring is a good word, because the sparring partner usually takes a good beating.

Ya, perhaps when he's actually facing a champion.

You're so nefarious.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

Ya, perhaps when he's actually facing a champion.

You're so nefarious.

Edit it one more time.

I'm sure whatever you add next will be that much wittier!

Can't wait.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

I guess that's what happens when you can't differentiate December 6th from December 26th.

Rich please show the forum how anyone discussing Manti Te'o doesn't care about hostages in Algeria. Thanks.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Edit it one more time.

I'm sure whatever you add next will be that much wittier!

Can't wait.

I know you can't. That's why you keep responding after whining about not caring about these topics or anything I previously said.

Awaiting your response in 3....2.....1

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

Rich please show the forum how anyone discussing Manti Te'o doesn't care about hostages in Algeria. Thanks.

Right after you explain to the forum how December 6th and December 26th are the same day. :fart:

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Right after you explain to the forum how December 6th and December 26th are the same day. :fart:

I never said they were the same day. In the prior part of the conversation I said the 6th when Te'o went to the AD. You said the 26th. You corrected me in the article that it was indeed the 26th, however that DOESN'T change the fact that Te'o knew he had recieved a phone call from his deceased fake girlfriend back on the 6th and kept on talking about her as if she was legitimate in multiple areas of the press for weeks .... literally as soon as 2 days after the phone call from beyond the grave while he was at a Heisman event.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Is it possible that he thought that the call on the 6th was some kind of sick prank? If he really believed that for 3 years he had a relationship and that she was really dead them maybe it took some time for him to fully accept that he had been duped?

Maybe after some kind of investigation where it was confirmed he informed others, 26th?

I don't know, he could have been totally in on it the whole time. Fact is right now I just don't know.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I so do not give a rats behind about this.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Oh man this thread is entertaining!

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:54 pm

Phin wrote:
Oh man this thread is entertaining!

LOL ... my girlfriend and I , Angelina Jolie were just commented on how we totally believe this guy.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:22 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I'll chime in....what the heck. He is a LB on a national champ title game team and he gets' duped? He's either in on it, or he's dumbass.....get a blowup doll, at least he can feel her.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:24 pm

AQNOR wrote:
Is it possible that he thought that the call on the 6th was some kind of sick prank? If he really believed that for 3 years he had a relationship and that she was really dead them maybe it took some time for him to fully accept that he had been duped?

Maybe after some kind of investigation where it was confirmed he informed others, 26th?

I don't know, he could have been totally in on it the whole time. Fact is right now I just don't know.

It doesn't matter if you know, let's rush to judgment.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2