View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Tannehill's first year...... 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Tannehill's first year......
http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

as full time starter of the Dolphins. He is top 20 in QBR (which measures the overall efficiency of a QB) and this for a guy who should of sat the bench his first year to learn from a veteran. Also with the least amount of weapons of all the other QB's on this list.
I think we are in good hands and i'm very excited for 2013!!! :yay:

ok, now go ahead and let the negativity start....lol!

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:52 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Tannehill's first year......
That's good news. Check this out regarding that list. 3 out of the 4 QBs in the championship game are in the top 4. If the Broncos would have won, the top 4 QBs in the league would be the chapionship games. Another piece of data that shows that a QB is the most important position on the team and that you need a franchise QB to win the SB. You can draft all the OL, CB, WR that you want, but without a QB, it means nothing.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:58 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I really think that if we grab a FA WR, a FA Guard, and draft a DE in the 1st, we will be close. Imagine Wallace stretching the field, that would open the running game and take pressure off Hartline/Bess.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:00 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I really think that if we grab a FA WR, a FA Guard, and draft a DE in the 1st, we will be close. Imagine Wallace stretching the field, that would open the running game and take pressure off Hartline/Bess.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:00 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
You can draft all the OL, CB, WR that you want, but without a QB, it means nothing.

Even if you have the QB you still need to get quality WRs and OL guys.

What I like about New England's approach to surrounding Brady is they find guys who fit a role perfectly. Miami should try to mimic that. They have a good possession receiver, a good slot guy, and a good blocking tight end. They need a speed receiver, or at least one who creates better seperation down field, and a seam threat TE.

You put Wallace or Jennings and Keller on the field with Hartline and Bess, and I'd feel comfortable predicting a winning record with 20+ TD passes for Tannehill.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:05 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
That's good news. Check this out regarding that list. 3 out of the 4 QBs in the championship game are in the top 4. If the Broncos would have won, the top 4 QBs in the league would be the chapionship games. Another piece of data that shows that a QB is the most important position on the team and that you need a franchise QB to win the SB. You can draft all the OL, CB, WR that you want, but without a QB, it means nothing.

What about Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson? They both won super bowls. I understand that having a franchise QB makes things much easier, but they are not a must for reaching the promised land. Lets hope management can get Tannehill some better protection and another WR & TE so we can see what he is capable of.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:09 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:
What about Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson? They both won super bowls. I understand that having a franchise QB makes things much easier, but they are not a must for reaching the promised land. Lets hope management can get Tannehill some better protection and another WR & TE so we can see what he is capable of.

Mmmm I wouldn't put Brad Johnson in with Trent Dilfer. Johnson was a better passer. Alas there are always glitches in the matrix (ahem Dilfer) LOL.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:15 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I know I have seen average QB's win championships, and I have seen and still see great ones not win.
At some point it has to come down to coaching and personnel decisions...

I think Tannehill looked better than I expected this year, that being said my expectations were nothing short of crappy so i left a lot of room to be impressed.

He has a lot of areas to clean up, but I feel they are all mental areas that should come with maturity and experience.
I like his control of the offense, his ability to keep it moving at an upbeat tempo. He is able to go survey the defense and try and make adjustments. And things like that should get better with exp. He is really good on the move, we need to roll him out more. He was able to get good chemistry with bess/fasano/hartline, and he was making things happen with his feet at the end of the season.

I dont like the batted balls, the TD/INT ratio is not good, and he needs to work on adjusting his throws for in game speeds to help the deep ball. Seems he over throws a yard or two, which could be from the DB jamming guys at the line.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
Makchell wrote:
You can draft all the OL, CB, WR that you want, but without a QB, it means nothing.

Even if you have the QB you still need to get quality WRs and OL guys.

What I like about New England's approach to surrounding Brady is they find guys who fit a role perfectly. Miami should try to mimic that. They have a good possession receiver, a good slot guy, and a good blocking tight end. They need a speed receiver, or at least one who creates better seperation down field, and a seam threat TE.

You put Wallace or Jennings and Keller on the field with Hartline and Bess, and I'd feel comfortable predicting a winning record with 20+ TD passes for Tannehill.

New England has just become a quick hitting, short pass spread offense. And nobody has found a way to defend it. You rarely see Tommy boy go upfield anymore. It's just a really innovative system.

Last edited by swerve13 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:35 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:
New England has jump become a quick hitting, short pass spread offense. And nobody has found a way to defend it. You rarely see Tommy boy go upfield anymore. It's just a really innovative system.

Yup not sure if its McDaniels or a combo of him and BB, but something is clicking with them and they seem to have really stepped up the tempo.
Not sure Balto will be able to deal with it this week, I will be rooting for them to, but I just dont see it happening.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:01 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
I dont like the batted balls, the TD/INT ratio is not good

Yes and no...He threw 6 picks in two games. One his 1st game. Tanny proved he could go long strectches without an int. Which was most promising.(Unlike Hennster)

And he did clean up the batted passes.

Mak is right in todays NFL you start with the qb...The Patriots by the way, have been drafting mostly defense early for some years now....5-1 in the last 6 years 1st and 6 out of 7 picks last year

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:26 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
New England has jump become a quick hitting, short pass spread offense. And nobody has found a way to defend it. You rarely see Tommy boy go upfield anymore. It's just a really innovative system.

And that is how they won Super Bowls. In his first few years Brady was the master of short and screen passes. NE played as a team and he led the way. When they became an aerial assault team they were dominant but something was missing. They seem to be back to that winning formula...a good combo of running the ball and using short, efficient passes that produce a ton of YAC.

Seems to be the formula a lot of us are hoping for.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:27 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

that formula has been going on 12 years now. With all the great regimes that have passed thru here you would think we can duplicate it. But hey , now we have a QB.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Not too excited yet. 12 TD's to 13 INT's......and a losing record. To be fair, his supporting cast wasn't stellar, but other teams had rookie QB's who stepped in and turned their frowns upside down.

Russell Wilson, RGIII, Luck....yep....those guys had great numbers and got to the playoffs with teams that previously had losing records. Other new faces such as Kaepernick are also more exciting. Meanwhile, same old same old here in Miami....7-9 +/- a game for 4 years running.

I will be excited about Tannehill when the team is winning games more than they are losing them and the offense actually starts putting some real numbers on the scoreboard. There is always next year......

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:32 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

What about Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson?

What about them? Twice in in how many years? Look at the above data chart. Keep fooling yourselves regarding a QB in this day and age. Oh yeah, we have been fooling ourlseves since Dan retired. Even back then it was about a QB.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

And that is how they won Super Bowls. In his first few years Brady was the master of short and screen passes. NE played as a team and he led the way. When they became an aerial assault team they were dominant but something was missing. They seem to be back to that winning formula...a good combo of running the ball and using short, efficient passes that produce a ton of YAC.

Seems to be the formula a lot of us are hoping for.

cheating helped too.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:05 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Kev1321 wrote:

Yes and no...He threw 6 picks in two games. One his 1st game. Tanny proved he could go long strectches without an int. Which was most promising.(Unlike Hennster)

And he did clean up the batted passes.

Mak is right in todays NFL you start with the qb...The Patriots by the way, have been drafting mostly defense early for some years now....5-1 in the last 6 years 1st and 6 out of 7 picks last year

Im pretty sure we agree as far as RT is concerned. He seemed to correct his mistakes as he moved forward. But there were still a few towards the end. However I am not one to feel that a batted ball here or there or a bad throw is grounds for concern just yet.
There is def plenty to be hapeful about with is game as far as I see it.

Patriots draft both. 2009 they were 3/3 offense defense, 2010 Gronk in round 2, 2011 had 3 picks in top 2, took OL with the 1st, and a RB in the second.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:15 am
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

Makchell wrote:

My perfect scenario is sign Wallace & either Cook/Keller in FA. Draft DE in Rd. 1 CB/WR in Rd. 2. CB/ LB in Rd. 3.

I believe Marshall will not make the team with his pay & back injury.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:19 am
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

bobby0112 wrote:

The one thing both those Qb had. A completely dominate D. Those type D are not seen very often.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:22 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The one thing both those Qb had. A completely dominate D. Those type D are not seen very often.

Thank you.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]