View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Receiver possibilities in the draft 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Receiver possibilities in the draft
Quote:
The Dolphins want to find a game-changing receiver this offseason to pair with quarterback Ryan Tannehill. And owner Stephen Ross and coach Joe Philbin have both said that they want to build the team mainly through the draft.
Well, good luck marrying their two wishes.
Unfortunately for the Dolphins, most draft experts agree that this year’s receiver crop is short on elite talent. The draft will feature several solid mid-round players — including many who are showcasing their talents here at the Senior Bowl this week — but no instant stars like a Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald or Julio Jones.
“There are two problems with this receiver draft — there’s no dominant receiver, and it’s a problem of size,” said Sports Illustrated draft expert Tony Pauline. “Last year, four of the top five guys were all at least 6-3 and 210 pounds. But there’s not a lot of size in this receiver group. You’re basically looking at a bunch of No. 2 or 3 type guys.”

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... isn/nT3s9/

Dobson and Swope would be excellent 3rd round choices.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:21 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Receiver possibilities in the draft
i know we are not in the position to put off until next year, but what do you guys think about pulling a new england and trade a pick this year for one next year. Maybe we could get lucky and get a better round in return for giving up one this year. Then we could have some more ammo going into next year's draft to potentially trade up (like atlanta did getting julio jones).

I mean we have a lot of picks this year. Doesn't sound too crazy lol. Thoughts?

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:03 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

marc23 wrote:
i know we are not in the position to put off until next year, but what do you guys think about pulling a new england and trade a pick this year for one next year. Maybe we could get lucky and get a better round in return for giving up one this year. Then we could have some more ammo going into next year's draft to potentially trade up (like atlanta did getting julio jones).

I mean we have a lot of picks this year. Doesn't sound too crazy lol. Thoughts?

NE does that alot, however I will point out that they are pretty much a shoe in for the post season next year already, so they can afford to play around with pics..
Atlanta was a complete team when they drafted Jones, they were coming off a 13 - 3 season so they really just wanted an impact player... Most people at that point crowned them the favorite for the following season.

So if we were in those positions I would feel better with the comparison, but being a 7 - 9 team with a bunch of holes that need to be addressed, I would hope we are not going to wait...

I figure trading Marshall and Davis were the signs that we were trying to load up for this years off season... I hope its not another year I have to wait before they start building..

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:49 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Ya NE has added some players this way...But they have also missed out on some high quality players doing it...And most of those picks they have added didn't pan out. I'm not so sure that is the model to copy. The best thing the Patriots ever did was cheat

We also have a GM on the hot seat...I'm not so sure he is willing to be stretching things out.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:39 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

My top 5 receivers in this in the draft....I'm sure it will change before the draft.

1. C. Patterson (I call him Mr YAC...explosive!)
2. K. Allen (has it all but I just wouldn't pick him at #12)
3. D. Hopkins (great hands and speed)
4. S. Bailey (yes I like him over Williams)
5. T.Williams (good hands but falls after the catch too much...no YAC)
***SLEEPER ALERT***
6. M. Wheaton (my sleeper! I love this kids size and speed....not afraid to go ver the middle either...reminds me of Greg Jennings)

Go ahead and disagree!

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

After some thought I would not be opposed to Miami moving back into the 1st round to grab a WR who might slip or is just there for the taking.

The hot name now is Cordarelle Patterson who a lot of people are mocking to Miami in the first round. Watch some videos of him on youtube, he's pretty explosive.

If Miami can sign Mike Wallace then I'd have no issue with them trying to target a guy like Keenan Allen in the late 1st round. I know a lot of people here prefer Terrence Williams or Deandre Hopkins, but Allen seems to have very reliable hands and would be a huge compliment to a speed receiver. He has some good YAC ability as well.

BTW, heard Terrence Williams was getting some criticism for his inability to beat press coverage. Not something you want to hear. I believe the same was said about Markus Wheaton.

Cobi Hamilton from Arkansas is a guy Tony (phinsfansc) pointed out a while back and he seems to have the chance to develop into a nice playmaker and red zone threat.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:50 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Ace Sanders is a Mike Wallace type..

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:04 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Wallace or other top FA, then use the # 12. Then use the pick we got for Marshall for a WR as well in round 3.
That should give us a good chance to see 2 more able WR's on the field next year with BH/DB...

I also hope we find a stud CB with that second we get from Indy...

Still leaves us a 2nd & 3rd to add to the o-line and/or pass rush.. If its done right, this could be a great draft for us. Lets hope these guys do a better job this year..

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:34 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

swerve13 wrote:

And which of those adds speed or YAC ability?

The guy I'm falling in love with in the 2nd round is Markus Wheaton. He looks exactly like Mike Wallace...freakishly similar.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:19 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Patterson. Big. Fast. Explosive. Raw.. but coachable. What more do you want? He looks like a faster and more explosive Dwayne Bowe with better hands.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:24 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

MdDolfan wrote:
My top 5 receivers in this in the draft....I'm sure it will change before the draft.

1. C. Patterson (I call him Mr YAC...explosive!)
2. K. Allen (has it all but I just wouldn't pick him at #12)
3. D. Hopkins (great hands and speed)
4. S. Bailey (yes I like him over Williams)
5. T.Williams (good hands but falls after the catch too much...no YAC)
***SLEEPER ALERT***
6. M. Wheaton (my sleeper! I love this kids size and speed....not afraid to go ver the middle either...reminds me of Greg Jennings)

Go ahead and disagree!

Oops! I forgot my other sleeper....this guy reminds me of Mike Wallace!

Quinton Patton

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htOC2hKV7 ... ata_player

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:01 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jammer wrote:
After some thought I would not be opposed to Miami moving back into the 1st round to grab a WR who might slip or is just there for the taking.

The hot name now is Cordarelle Patterson who a lot of people are mocking to Miami in the first round. Watch some videos of him on youtube, he's pretty explosive.

If Miami can sign Mike Wallace then I'd have no issue with them trying to target a guy like Keenan Allen in the late 1st round.

I agree with you. I like Cordarrelle but I would like us to not feel pressured with our first pick. It'd be pretty sweet to sign a FA WR, draft a WR, & have 5 picks on day 2.

I've read a lot of early mocks but their mini synopsis of our picks show that they have a good feel for our FO. Not that I do but I'm getting the impression Philbin & Sherman are so overly confident in their offensive system that they believe they can make most any WRs a legit threat. I hope they do want to take a WR first but there seems to be a lot of similar talent at that position this year

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:11 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Kev1321 wrote:
Ace Sanders is a Mike Wallace type..

South Carolina is my alma mater and I see them play a lot. Ace Sanders is a great punt returner and good little slot guy. He is a Davone Bess with a little more speed.

I would not compare him to Mike Wallace, who is a take the top off the defense WR.

Yeah Jam, I have seen Patterson mocked the the Dolphins a lot lately. Big, explosive, but RAW. Add him to a Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings to go with Bess and Hartline? I can live with that for sure.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:58 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
Big, explosive, but RAW.

That is my worry. You can have every tool under the sun but if you can't run good routes or learn the offense then you won't hack it.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:29 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
Big, explosive, but RAW.

That is my worry. You can have every tool under the sun but if you can't run good routes or learn the offense then you won't hack it.

You can teach a kid how to run routes. You can't teach the type of talent Patterson has to go along with the size. He is a playmaker.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
Big, explosive, but RAW.

I've read he looks "disinterested at times". YIKES!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:06 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

And which of those adds speed or YAC ability?

The guy I'm falling in love with in the 2nd round is Markus Wheaton. He looks exactly like Mike Wallace...freakishly similar.

That's why I've been banging the table for Wallace. For his Speed and YAC.
I'm lookin at Swope and Dobson as talented, polished receivers to fill in the 3rd WR spot on our offense.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:09 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Two very good tweets from Omar Kelly regarding what Miami will do to address the receiver position (both WR and TE):

"Receivers and TEs generally take 3 years to develop."

"Do GM Jeff Ireland and coach Joe Philbin have 3 years to wait for a receiver & tight end to blossom, making Tannehill better?"

Consider that when you're looking at mock drafts and how many WRs/TEs the Dolphins will spend money on in free agency.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:13 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I'm in love with that Tavon Austin kid... yeah he's only 5'9 but he's quicker and more explosive than any player on our roster.

I think if he falls to our 2nds you gotta give him a look.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
Two very good tweets from Omar Kelly regarding what Miami will do to address the receiver position (both WR and TE):

"Receivers and TEs generally take 3 years to develop."

"Do GM Jeff Ireland and coach Joe Philbin have 3 years to wait for a receiver & tight end to blossom, making Tannehill better?"

Consider that when you're looking at mock drafts and how many WRs/TEs the Dolphins will spend money on in free agency.
IMO Miami has to land a FA WR. Has to. Then take another Wr in Rd. 2.

Don't believe the 3 Yr rule applies like it use to. Wr are coming into the NFL more prepared than they did yrs ago.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]