View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Complicated Negotiations 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Complicated Negotiations
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... talks.html

By now I'm sure a lot of you have read Ireland's comments about negotiating with Jake Long. I just don't see the guy staying in Miami and some desperate team paying him for the 2009 version of himself.

It might free up a lot of money which of course Miami could use to target multiple playmakers in free agency, but leaves a hole. I guess if they have a rookie tackle they like a lot they could position themselves to draft him.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Complicated Negotiations
This article brings up a great point. We signed Smiley and Grove knowing they had a history of injuries and it backfired big time. Now we're potentially on the verge of signing another player with a similar if not worse history of injuries.

As much as I would love to see us sign Long to a team friendly contract and keep him around for a few more years. I just don't see it happening. Long is a broken down shadow of what he once was.

He's not worth the $10M+ a season he'll wind up probably getting. He's probably not even worth $8M a season to be honest. Long in my opinion is probably worth about $6-7M a season with the majority of his contract being earned only through incentives that require him to play all 16 games.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:41 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Like it or not, it is time to move on.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Long could be in the league for another 8-10 years and play at a high level. We don't need to be spending another high round pick on a position that we already have the answer to...

We need playmakers not offensive lineman.

We have plenty of money to franchise him. sign who they want and worry about Long next year.

If he wont do a deal that works. If he were to get back into form for another team and play 8 years that would just be another player not developed by Miami.

Long had an off year and he is still better than most.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The one thing that is apparent after watching the Playoffs.......is the importance of the O-Line. Per the AFC Championship, Flacco was never really pressured.........Brady also had it relatively easy.........especially compared to Tanehill getting sacked 7 times in week 17, by the same defense that put minimal pressure on Flacco.

That being said, Long does not deserve another Big Contract from us..........he'll get $8 mil/year+ somewhere else. BUT we can not ignore the importance of the O-Line........The Bears are a perfect example of that.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:24 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

He has been injured more often, and his level of play has diminished. Yet he wants to be paid as the top player at his position because at one point he was..
I dont understand how we can pay him..
I kept reading this season that Jake struggles in zone blocking. Maybe he is better suited for a different style of offense..

One thing is sure tho, if he goes we need to bring in someone to fill the spot. If I remember correctly his replacement was not any better..

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:32 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

shularino wrote:
especially compared to Tanehill getting sacked 7 times in week 17, by the same defense that put minimal pressure on Flacco

I agree the O-line is essential but I have to say I was impressed by the in-game adjustments made by Baltimore's offense. They were so flat in the first & then they put the pats on their heels. I don't think our coaches did Tannehill many favors this season because they didn't play to his strengths much.

10acjed wrote:
One thing is sure tho, if he goes we need to bring in someone to fill the spot. If I remember correctly his replacement was not any better..

I found this intriguing-
The Palm Beach Post mentions Dolphins OT Will Yeatman as a player who could be a starter in 2013 should impending free agent LT Jake Long leave.
Yeatman, 25 in April, is a converted tight end with solid athleticism. Coach Joe Philbin was at the University of Iowa when they transformed tight ends Robert Gallery and Eric Steinbach into quality linemen. Yeatman has bulked up to 305 pounds and is working out in San Diego with offensive line guru Hudson Houck

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:49 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Btw I think Ireland was attempting to be generously respectful by calling this "negotiation" complicated. They'll offer him an above average contract & he'll take more elsewhere. He's not worth as much to us any longer. & I'm personally glad because it could mean we have more money to spend at another position . . Are there any complicated negotiations with Reggie?

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:52 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Miami is in a tough spot here. I think Ireland and all of us realize Jake is not the same player he was in 2010. He's been hurt the last 2 years and his play has diminished because of it. As stated in the article, Jake Long has been compensated well. His ego could be getting in the way, and if that is so, his tenure in Miami is tenuous.

His type of play does not warrant top 5 money. If he is unhappy with a contract in the 8-10 mill/per year range, he needs to walk.

Then the Dolphins have to ask themselves do they feel comfortable with Jonathan Martin protecting Tannehill backside? I have questions about that.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:06 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
Then the Dolphins have to ask themselves do they feel comfortable with Jonathan Martin protecting Tannehill backside? I have questions about that.

Very tough situation. Up here in MA the reporters are already saying the rumblings are the Pats will use the franchise tag on Vollmer if necessary. Couple that with rumblings that KC will push to keep Albert and Cincy is prepared to franchise A. Smith and you have limited FA options out there to replace Long.

I personally think Long walks and Miami gives Martin a shot at the job hoping speedier receivers will make his life easier.

Yeatman at RT is a possibility I guess but we've heard this story with Nate Garner, Lydon Murtha, etc...heck I even recall a converted TE from the Saban days whom everyone thought would pull it off but injury derailed that. I think Miami could find a potential starter in the 3rd round if need be.

One thing I read in another article, think it was from O Kelly, was that Philbin wasn't necessarily a fan of every FA Miami has and is willing to let many of them walk. Would it really shock anyone if only Starks and Fasano return (I believe that was the speculation)? I think a serious overhaul could be in the works based on all of this speculation I'm reading from the beat guys.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
Long could be in the league for another 8-10 years and play at a high level. We don't need to be spending another high round pick on a position that we already have the answer to...

We need playmakers not offensive lineman.

We have plenty of money to franchise him. sign who they want and worry about Long next year.

If he wont do a deal that works. If he were to get back into form for another team and play 8 years that would just be another player not developed by Miami.

Long had an off year and he is still better than most.

He's not even playing at a high level now. I'd put money that he won't be in the league in 3 years.
A "starting" left tackle that will give you 8 poor quality games a year and 8 injury report updates isn't worth a roster spot no matter what you pay him.

Move on.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:22 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
A source tells the Miami Herald the Dolphins made a "low-ball attempt" to lock-up impending free agent LT Jake Long during the season.
The Dolphins have sent mixed signals on the former No. 1 pick, but it's clear they're not going to sign him to a deal his pre-injury reputation would have commanded. That could be a problem, as a team source tells the Herald Long "likes the idea of being the best at what he does and one way he proves to everyone that he is is by being the highest paid at what he does." According to the source, there's a "considerable amount of professional ego." With neither side sounding willing to negotiate on the other's terms, it's looking more likely Long will walk.

so Jake Long likes pretending he's the best tackle in the league by being paid like he is?

:) :hithead:

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:54 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

move Martin to left tackle, draft Oday Aboushi to play right tackle and have Yeatman and Garner back them up. Have 4 solid options for depth and competition.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]