View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 A Honey Badger in South Beach? 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post A Honey Badger in South Beach?
https://twitter.com/benvolinpbp/status/293760816073805824

So many reactions to this.

First of all, the kid is a risk obviously. Not just because he doesn't learn lessons well but also because he hasn't been playing.

Next, Weed isn't as big of a deal in the NFL but I'm pretty sure we just traded away Vontae for much less. Which brings up the next point. I was under the impression that we didn't associate this organization with problem players. I know its a simple meeting but to what end? Did Parcells tell Ireland to set this up & throw other teams a smoke screen of our true draft plans?

And can you imagine what this kid could get into if he lived in Miami?

Look, hes talented & a natural ball hawk/play maker. In fact, I thought he could be the next Troy Polamalu + kick returning if he kept himself clean. But even if he earnestly believes he has changed & intends to get his life/career on track with an NFL team, & he somehow manages to convince our staff of that, the last thing he needs is a full bank account in South Florida

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:25 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: A Honey Badger in South Beach?
Nah, we're good.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:37 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Not happening.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:53 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Agree. No shot.

From a pure scouting standpoint though, was he really that good of a CB prospect anyway? He made a lot of plays at LSU, but he's severely undersized.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
Mathieu was likely to be a second- or third-round pick in April’s draft — his small stature is a negative, and he’s projected only as a slot cornerback — but now he’s likely to drop to the bottom rounds of the draft, although many experts believe some team will take a shot.

If this kid is sitting there in the late 3rd or mid 4th when we pick, I hope we pounce. I think he's going to be a great player. I know there is some issues there, but he's receiving counseling and I think he understands that his windown of opportunity is closing. If our staff thinks the kid is serious about being an NFL player, then I think he's well worth it. The kid will be able to start day one as a free safety or nickel corner. He's be a great weapon to use against Welker in the slot.

I'd be very happy if we could draft someone like Xavier Rhodes or David Amerson in the 2nd round, and then take the Honey Badger in the late 3rd or mid 4th. I think that would leave us set at cornerback.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:30 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Ricky 2.0??

I can hear the jokes already....

Personally I say talk, evaluate and make a decision. Kids make dumb choices in life, some learn from them others do not.
So at least we are looking..

Yes or no I wont say, with the rookie wage scale a 3rd is not a big deal.. If he works out great, if not whats the difference we make bad choices all the time..

Heres a choice, take a chance on Smokey or draft Egnew in the 3rd?

Yeah Id take smokey too...

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]