View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Dan Marino: not a bad idea for the Dolphins to draft a QB 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dan Marino: not a bad idea for the Dolphins to draft a QB
Quote:
Dan Marino doesn’t think it would be a bad idea for the Dolphins to draft a quarterback this year.

“I don’t know if the Dolphins are going do that,” Marino said of drafting a quarterback. “But you do have to look at the way the league is now, there’s injuries and you do have to have solid players and solid people at each position, especially at quarterback, if something happens to your starter.”

Still, there’s a feeling in some circles that the Dolphins need an insurance policy at quarterback, in case Tannehill starts wandering down the Chad Henne path of malaise/regression.

Washington ensured itself by drafting two quarterbacks last year – Robert Griffin III with the No. 2 pick in the first round and Kirk Cousins in the fourth round – and it paid off when Griffin III sat out the Cleveland game with a knee injury late in the season. Cousins won in relief. Now the Redskins have reason to believe they have two young quarterbacks with lots of upside, something that might come in handy next season depending on how Griffin III recovers from knee surgery.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 2327.story

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:04 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Dan Marino: not a bad idea for the Dolphins to draft a QB
or they could just sign Pat White.

Seriously. Not a bad move. Would not spend a high pick, but in Rd. 4 if there is a Qb there, can't hurt. Of course this all depends on what they think of Delvin.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I actually look back and think Pat White could have been used differently just the like Jets wasted Tebow's talent. Of course Pat White will be remembered for getting knocked out by Ike Taylor in the Pittsburg game but that kid had elusive talent, but in all reality he did not get a long enough look, but it is also my understanding that he torpedoed his own chance the second season when he left camp for personal reasons, so that played into Miami's decision process too and even that Sun Sentinel article with Pat White's words said the same.

He is still very young, certainly would not hurt for him to be in camp. Long odds but why not.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:21 pm
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Hmmmm when Marino says it , it suddenly makes sense? With the rookie scale some of us have been saying to draft a QB every year. It is not a knock on Tannehill just a precaution as he can get injured or hit the wall.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

......you might also find the next Russell Wilson, or Brady.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:54 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Heck...I wanted to draft 8 qb's last year!

:ann0y:

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:56 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If they do I bet its a very late round pick or UDFA. I believe Ireland did that while in Dallas and GB used that model except for when they took Brohm in Rd 2...and that was because Rodgers hadn't started an NFL game to that point.

Ireland and his acorns.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:36 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

With the rookie scale some of us have been saying to draft a QB every year

What?!? A QB? I thought....ummm if you say that you are a RT hater! Marino is a hater like us Mitch! lol...

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:14 pm
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Makchell wrote:

What?!? A QB? I thought....ummm if you say that you are a RT hater! Marino is a hater like us Mitch! lol...

Notice how I had to say it is not a knock on Tannehill.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:31 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

FINesse wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Notice how I had to say it is not a knock on Tannehill.

Well generally you draft positions of need, and if I am not mistaken we are going to be short 1 QB. Dont see how its a knock on Tannehill in the first place.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:39 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If there wasn't a rookie payscale in place, it would definitely be a knock on Tanny. The fact that there is a rookie payscale makes it just plain sensible to double down on the most of important positions.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:03 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:

The victim card never gets old does it

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:29 am

Dont see how its a knock on Tannehill in the first place.

That's the point. Earlier in the season some of us on the boards were saying we should draft a QB and we were called RT "haters" (so cliche) which is totally untrue. The bottomline is that nothing is ever set in stone and RT has not yet proved to be the man. Maybe we find a gem or a solid #2. I'm not comfortable with Delvin backing up RT.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:42 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:
Dont see how its a knock on Tannehill in the first place.

That's the point. Earlier in the season some of us on the boards were saying we should draft a QB and we were called RT "haters" (so cliche) which is totally untrue. The bottomline is that nothing is ever set in stone and RT has not yet proved to be the man. Maybe we find a gem or a solid #2. I'm not comfortable with Delvin backing up RT.

I guess it depends on what we are suggesting. If someone is expecting an open comp for the starting job I think they are in for a rude awakening. I do not see that happening for at least the next two seasons, probably 3 unless his play regresses. Just the way things work in the NFL.

Im talking about a guy in round 6 or 7 to compete for Moore's spot, so its a knock on Devlin, even though I think Devlin is locked in at number 2 for next year at this point..

Aaron Rodgers little brother Jordan is coming out, played at V and is projected as a 7th rounder... Grab him up...

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:35 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
If there wasn't a rookie payscale in place, it would definitely be a knock on Tanny. The fact that there is a rookie payscale makes it just plain sensible to double down on the most of important positions.

The rookie payscale brought down the salaries for first round picks, and particularly top 10 picks. It really didnt effect anyone else. I don't think anyone is advocating taking a QB in round 1 so I don't think the rookie scale changes anything

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:45 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

The rookie pay scale doesn't really make a difference, unless you're talking about spending another 1st round pick on a QB...

Egnew got 4 years, 2.7 million (post-payscale). John Jerry, picked 5 picks earlier, got 4 years, 2.6 million.

So I'm not really buying the argument that the pay scale justifies it. What justifies it is that depth and competition at QB is critical, and Miami doesn't have that behind Tannehill if Moore walks.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm hoping one of two things happens. 1. We're able to work out a deal where Moore accepts a long term (2-3 year) deal to be Tannehill's backup. or 2. Flynn is cut from Seattle and we pick him up and restructure his deal to that of a backup.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:51 pm

I'm hoping one of two things happens. 1. We're able to work out a deal where Moore accepts a long term (2-3 year) deal to be Tannehill's backup. or 2. Flynn is cut from Seattle and we pick him up and restructure his deal to that of a backup.

Those would be good options, but I would have to believe that Moore and Flynn want to start at this stage in their careers. Ditto for ALex Smith. There are starting jobs up for grabs around the league. KC, Buff, Arz, Philly, just to name a few.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:57 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:

Those would be good options, but I would have to believe that Moore and Flynn want to start at this stage in their careers. Ditto for ALex Smith. There are starting jobs up for grabs around the league. KC, Buff, Arz, Philly, just to name a few.

With this year's QB crop being suspect at best you'd have to think Moore, Flynn and Smith will be starting somewhere next year.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]