View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Marino wonders if running QBs can last 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Marino wonders if running QBs can last
I think running quarterbacks need to be able to pass first. One thing that we did to develop Russell Wilson at NCSU was to get him to stop running. He had a couple of concussions in his rookie season, so, we worked to get him to think pass first and run when he had to. He developed a more accurate arm his junior and senior season (Wisconsin). I don't think a quarterback like RGIII is going to last in the NFL if he continues to run with the ball on the fly, but he has a very accurate arm. Cam Newton is built to last longer than either Wilson or RGIII.

Dave Hyde wrote:
1. Dan Marino flew to San Francisco to interview Colin Kaepernick for his CBS-TV work and was impressed with the San Francisco quarterback's mindset, size, strength and foot speed. He thinks Kaepernick, with nine starts, won't shrink in the Super Bowl spotlight.

But does that mean there's a future for running quarterbacks in the NFL?

"I think the defenses will change some things coming up and that'll shut that down a lot,'' he said. "Kaepernick kind of took everyone by surprise with the way he can run - and he is fast. But I'd think over this off-season, especially, defenses will figure out how to get a better handle on guys like him.

"The other thing you have to worry about is guys taking hits. Look at (Robert Griffin III). Some of the hits he took - that can't keep happening."

Mobility, in other words, is good. But the odds - and hits - eventually will catch up to quarterbacks if they keep running like this. The talent of Kaepernick and RGIII, Marino said, is they can make a living in the pocket. They can throw the ball well. And they'll probably spend more time doing that in coming years.
"I had 11 rushing touchdowns in 17 years,'' Marino said with a smile. "That's not too bad, is it?"

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 1768.story

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:14 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Marino wonders if running QBs can last
I think Kaepernick might be that perfect mix. He obviously can run & he seems to run smart. Not with the recklessness of some of these other QB's. Plus he throws a pretty good long ball & also has great touch & the more finesse passes. All this in just nine starts. He has a pretty good shot of winning this game on Sunday , even being the MVP. He & the forty niners can have a Patriot type run for the next decade.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:24 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

A QB needs to think "Pass first, pass second, pass third, then think run."
Otherwise they don't help their team. It's exciting, flashy and fun to watch a great athletic QB, but it doesn't help a team to wins.

Other than Steve Young, are their any running QBs who ever won anything?

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:42 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I look at size, the "running" QB's have been smaller, Young, Vick, RGIII etc.

Kaepernick is 6' 3" 230, he is just a tad smaller than Rotlesberger, who seems to be limping alot lately, but is still a winning QB.

I do not agree with the designed run unless its a QB option for a quick first down or goal line. But mobility is another thing, Elway was mobile and Shanahan was very successful with him.

However when I look at the two teams, I am much more envious watching Flacco hook up with the WR's for big plays.. He has had some beauty's this year dropping the ball right into the basket..

As Dan puts it "When in doubt, air it out"

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:21 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Maybe the fist pumper was on to something, he just never had a QB like Kapernick, Griffiin or Wilson. I know it's 20/20 hindsight, but maybe we should have brought in Vick when he was reinstated.

That being said, these kids are going to start getting lit up. The Ravens had 2 weeks to prepare for this and one of the hardest hitting defenses. John Harbaugh will likely be tolerant with a few personal fouls as long as Colin is getting hit.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]