View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Top of the Crop Coverage (Chris Clemons) 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Top of the Crop Coverage (Chris Clemons)
Quote:
While there’s a ringing endorsement coming up for some of the guys we felt should have been First team All-Pro, it was the Dolphins Chris Clemons who actually had the lowest percentage of plays into his coverage converted. His 0.96% was impressive and bodes well for his chances of getting paid in free agency.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/30/signature-stats-first-downs-allowed-safeties/

I still think we need an upgrade over Clemons, but who knows maybe I'm wrong cause this stat is eye-popping. But I just don't see Clemons ever making any game changing plays. His 2 INTs were thrown right at him. But to me he has just been a solid FS. Maybe the fact that he is such a conservative FS is why he tops the list.

I see so many threads about WRs yet I am not seeing many threads about CBs, which I believe is our WEAKEST spot right now, especially if we lose Sean Smith. I think we probably saw the most starting CBs last season of any team. After Smith at the number 2 CB we saw Marshall - Nolan Carrol - Jimmy Wilson - RJ Sanford - Dimitri Patterson all of which were horrible! I think Patterson in his limited time looked the best lol. That's how bad it is. Our secondary problem was definitely not at the safety position. With the exception of Smith (who was average himself), our CBs were just plain BAD. There will be some studs in free agency at WR, not so much for CB. I think we should be looking to draft a CB in the 1st two rounds. Possibly 2 CBs.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Top of the Crop Coverage (Chris Clemons)
TheCarver13 wrote:
Quote:
While there’s a ringing endorsement coming up for some of the guys we felt should have been First team All-Pro, it was the Dolphins Chris Clemons who actually had the lowest percentage of plays into his coverage converted. His 0.96% was impressive and bodes well for his chances of getting paid in free agency.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/30/signature-stats-first-downs-allowed-safeties/

I still think we need an upgrade over Clemons, but who knows maybe I'm wrong cause this stat is eye-popping. But I just don't see Clemons ever making any game changing plays. His 2 INTs were thrown right at him. But to me he has just been a solid FS. Maybe the fact that he is such a conservative FS is why he tops the list.

I see so many threads about WRs yet I am not seeing many threads about CBs, which I believe is our WEAKEST spot right now, especially if we lose Sean Smith. I think we probably saw the most starting CBs last season of any team. After Smith at the number 2 CB we saw Marshall - Nolan Carrol - Jimmy Wilson - RJ Sanford - Dimitri Patterson all of which were horrible! I think Patterson in his limited time looked the best lol. That's how bad it is. Our secondary problem was definitely not at the safety position. With the exception of Smith (who was average himself), our CBs were just plain BAD. There will be some studs in free agency at WR, not so much for CB. I think we should be looking to draft a CB in the 1st two rounds. Possibly 2 CBs.

I think this stat is misleading. Clemons is frequently out of position on deep passing plays. I can't count how many times he's supposed to have the coverage over the top and he leaves the cornerback out to dry. While from a statistics standpoint he wasn't the guy who got beat. He still could have prevented the play had he been in position like the good safeties in the league usually are. Clemons is a mediocre safety, he's far from a playmaker. I'd like to see us upgrade him or bring in some serious competition via the draft.
Also, I agree with you that we should look to add a pair of DBs in the draft. If it were me, I'd add Vaccaro from Texas in the 1st, Amerson from NC State in the 2nd, and the Honey Badger in the 3rd if he's still around. All three of those guys are ballhawks. Adding those three guys to our existing secondary would leave us loaded at DB.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Also, I agree with you that we should look to add a pair of DBs in the draft. If it were me, I'd add Vaccaro from Texas in the 1st, Amerson from NC State in the 2nd, and the Honey Badger in the 3rd if he's still around. All three of those guys are ballhawks. Adding those three guys to our existing secondary would leave us loaded at DB.

You do realize that our defense was pretty good and our offense wasn't right?

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:49 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

degs wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

You do realize that our defense was pretty good and our offense wasn't right?

I wouldn't mind Vaccaro in the 1st if we could trade down and grab Jones (UCLA) in the 2nd round and the rest of the draft should be WR's!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]