View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Another reason not to Draft Thomas at #12 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Another reason not to Draft Thomas at #12
Morgan Burnett

Height: 6'1 3/8" / Weight: 209
40: 4.42 / Arm: 31 3/4" / Hands: 9"

Unlike his predecessors at Tech (Ravens safety Dawan Landry and Giants safety James Butler), Morgan Burnett's game is speed. He is lightning quick and breaks on passes like it's nobody's business. The Tech safety racked up 14 interceptions over his three year career at Tech because he had enough speed to react to poorly thrown footballs and the hands to nab the errant throws (see here).

A common knock on Morgan Burnett was that he was a liability in the running game. This is hogwash. Burnett's plight in 2009 was a bad defensive line and an injury plagued linebacker corps. By the end of the season, teams could run all day on the Georgia Tech front seven. Morgan Burnett never quit, however. He tallied 58 tackles in run support out of his 86 total tackles. In fact, Burnett led all defensive players for Tech in total tackles during his three years at Tech with 235 tackles (just short of 6 tackles per game). He never backed down from an opposing running back, tight end or wide receiver.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:42 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Another reason not to Draft Thomas at #12
Here is the kid in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZVnjgco ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_dzOjh9G7g

Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:45 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

:boo: I dont think we need Earl Thomas, rember The Tuna likes BIG PLAYERS so with this pick I think it should be (wr) Dez B. or (fs) Taylor M. you dont get any bigger in those positions than these 2 guys. :pumpiron:

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:59 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Wow I am excited about getting an Ed Reed type of player. He's already been in for a visit. After Bryant, Berry, and Morgan, Thomas is the best option. I'd be happy with any four of them.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:51 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

And I can give you three more options. Nate Allen, Reshad Jones, and Major Wright. Doesnt mean that Thomas should be skipped if the best player available

Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:56 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

ggippo wrote:
And I can give you three more options. Nate Allen, Reshad Jones, and Major Wright. Doesnt mean that Thomas should be skipped if the best player available

Major Wright is not going to be a very good FS in the NFL, and many have expressed a lot of concern from teams with that. I don't know enough about him to really form an opinion, but it sounds to me that he is more of a SS.

The other two guys you mentioned I like. Nate Allen is a terrific safety as is Jones. I think that Morgan Burnett right now sits atop their board for those 2nd-3rd round type safeties though.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:59 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I like Morgan Burnett a lot. 14 career interceptions and his size are something that has to intrigue teams. I like both Nate Allen and Reshad Jones.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:27 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I like Morgan Burnett a lot. 14 career interceptions and his size are something that has to intrigue teams. I like both Nate Allen and Reshad Jones.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:30 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
ggippo wrote:

Major Wright is not going to be a very good FS in the NFL, and many have expressed a lot of concern from teams with that. I don't know enough about him to really form an opinion, but it sounds to me that he is more of a SS.

The other two guys you mentioned I like. Nate Allen is a terrific safety as is Jones. I think that Morgan Burnett right now sits atop their board for those 2nd-3rd round type safeties though.

I watch lots of Gator football and Wright is the biggest hitter among the safeties. He would line up at corner in nickle packages on occasion and he was the center fielder for the Gators. He has been a center fielder his entire career. If he was excellent in man coverage he would be a CB not a Safety. So much is true for all safeties.

Phins Rock if you aspire to be a true draft guru you have to watch SEC football. Its the best conference with the most talent, its just a fact of life.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:47 pm

ggippo wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
ggippo wrote:

I watch lots of Gator football and Wright is the biggest hitter among the safeties. He would line up at corner in nickle packages on occasion and he was the center fielder for the Gators. He has been a center fielder his entire career. If he was excellent in man coverage he would be a CB not a Safety. So much is true for all safeties.

Phins Rock if you aspire to be a true draft guru you have to watch SEC football. Its the best conference with the most talent, its just a fact of life.

Oh believe me I do. From 4-7 on Saturday's, the TV is tuned into CBS.

When I watch Florida though, I wasn't exactly watching for him, you know? Dunlap, Cunningham, Haden, Spikes....those are the guys I'm looking out for.

To be honest, I was very surprised to see that he was a 2nd round type of talent when I first started looking at mocks this off season. Again, I don't know much about him, but from what I have read he seems like more of a SS.

Miami did get a good look at him though as they had a private work out with him.

GGippo, does he have the size and ball skills to play the FS position? He did not have very impressive stats at the combine in the short shuttles and cone drills. He had a decent 4.48 in the 40, however, FS isn't just about straight line speed. He can certainly lay the wood, but it seems to me like he may be another Gibril Wilson.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]