View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Good Looking OL Class 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Good Looking OL Class
This offensive line class looks to be a very solid group. I was a defensive back in high school, and while I love the skill position people, you win games in the trenches.

We all know the Dolphins are in a precarious position at OLT, with OLT Jake Long being a free agent and probably wanting more money than Miami wants to pay. The Dolphins have a potential solution in house in ORT Jonathan Martin, who played OLT coming out of Stanford. I can say right now that he would be a major concern for me.

I saw Martin far to many times just get overpowered at ORT, and he had those same issues once he moved to OLT, although he looked better. I think he will improve, but my preference would be to leave him at ORT.

A kid that stock continues to rise is OLT Lane Johnson of Oklahoma. He came in at 6'6, 303 lbs and ran a 4.72 40. He is a former QB, TE, DE and was moved to OLT 2 years ago. He is very athletic and looked very strong in the drills today as well. He also did 28 reps @ 225 lbs. He will probably go in the top 15-20, behind Luke Joeckel of Texas A & M and Eric Fisher of Central Michigan.

If the Dolphins go OL in the 1st round, he is a PRIME candidate. I know some folks may vomit to even think about that, but it is a problem that NEEDS to be resolved if Jake Long is not retained and the Dolphins don't address it in free agency or fell Martin is the answer.

An option later in the draft is OLT Terron Armstead of Arkansas Pine Bluff. He has come on strong and looked very good in the East West Shrine Bowl and got a late invite to the Senior Bowl. Mike Mayock spoke highly of him and he had the fast time in the 40 at 4.71. At 6'6, 306 lbs, he did 31 reps @ 225 lbs and looked solid in the drills today as well.

A couple of very good OG candidates are OG Johnathan Cooper of UNC and Larry Warford of Kentucky. Cooper came in at 6'2, 311 lbs and ran a 5.07 40. He did 35 reps at @225 lbs and looked quick in the field drills. He has the ability to pull and get to the 2nd level, something the Dolphins are looking for with the zone blocking scheme they emply now. Warford came in at 6'3, 332 lbs and ran a 5.53 40. He did 28 reps @ 225 lbs. He is more of a phone booth power guy, but has quick enough feet in a short area to possibly fit what Miami wants to do. Kyle Long of Oregon is another kid to keep an eye on at OG. He came in at 6'6, 313 lbs and ran a 4.93 40. He did not participate in the bench press, but he has the movement the Dolphins like and he has played OT as well at Oregon. One last kid is OG Alvin Bailey of Arkansas. He came in at 6'3, 312 lbs and ran a 4.95 40 and did 27 reps @ 225 lbs.

A couple of ORT to keep an eye on if the Dolphins decide to move Martin to OLT is Menelik Watson of Florida State, Oday Aboushi of Virginia and Brennan Williams of UNC just to name a few kids. Watson came in at 6'5, 310 lbs and ran a 5.25 40. He did no do the bench press. Aboushi came in at 6'5, 308 lbs and ran a 5.45 40, but did only 17 reps @225 lbs. Williams came in at 6'6, 318 lbs. He did not do any of the drills, as I do believe he is coming off an injury.

There are a lot of other guys that looked good, but just throwing out a few names.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Good Looking OL Class
just imagine if Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews would have came out. This would have been like the 1983 quarterback class but for offensive tackles.

I love the top 3 tackles in this draft. Should all go top 10 overall

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Tony I was hoping we would get Terron Armstead with one of our 3rd rd. picks but his stock is soaring into the 2nd round. Maybe we can get a guy like Jordan Mills (La. Tech) to play right tackle

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:58 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
Tony I was hoping we would get Terron Armstead with one of our 3rd rd. picks but his stock is soaring into the 2nd round. Maybe we can get a guy like Jordan Mills (La. Tech) to play right tackle

A lot of going to depend on what Miami addressees in free agency. If the Dolphins have a need for an OLT and don't address it in the 1st round, I would look at Terron with one of the (2) 2nd round picks.

He has the size, power and athletic ability you want in an OLT.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:06 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I'm watching the replay of the Combine and the OL and Mike Mayock made an interesting comment. He said he thought Menelik Watson of Florida State could be an OLT.

Menelik is a little raw, as he has been playing football only for a few years, but he has the feet, quickness and power to fill the bill.

He played basketball at Marist for a few years as a power forward, so you know he has athletic ability and good footwork.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I would take Watson with our lower 2nd round pick but he's a little too raw IMO for pick 42.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:05 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
I would take Watson with our lower 2nd round pick but he's a little too raw IMO for pick 42.

Just stating what Mike Mayock said about Menelik. I did state that Menelik is raw, and I to would look at him in the 2nd round. That said, all it takes is one team.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Just stating what Mike Mayock said about Menelik. I did state that Menelik is raw, and I to would look at him in the 2nd round. That said, all it takes is one team.

:) sorry Tony. I just realized I keep shooting down all of your Seminoles. However I did pump up the pass rush trio.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think that Chris Faulk could be a great value steal in this draft after missing this season. Talent wise he is a top 50 pick but might be available in the 4th or 5th round.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:17 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

:) sorry Tony. I just realized I keep shooting down all of your Seminoles. However I did pump up the pass rush trio.

No problem, I'm good. The fact that Watson is probably is going in the 2nd round, I am happy for him because his family needs the money. I was hoping he would come back for one more year, but he has a chance to help his family. If someone takes a chance on him in the 1st round, which could happen, that's even better.

Now as far as Xavier Rhodes is concerned, his 40 time is key for him. He going 1st or 2nd round though.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Menelik has been the faster riser in this draft the past 2 weeks. He went from 4th round to possibly bottom of the 1st. Comparisons to Bruce Campbell.

Quote:
Florida State T Menelik Watson measured in at 6'5 1/8" and 310 pounds at the NFL Combine.
Watson's arms also checked in at 34 inches. The former basketball player is a great athlete and should remind many of Bruce Campbell during workouts. He spent the season on the right side, but teams could project him as a left tackle. A first-round pick is not out of the question.
Quote:

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]