View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 
 Ansah or Patterson 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Ansah or Patterson
I've seen enough to narrow my 2 favorites down to Ziggy Ansah and Cordarelle Patterson for Miami at pick #12

Quote:
Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson ran "unofficial" forty times of 4.37 and 4.40 at the NFL Scouting Combine before Combine directors credited him with an "official" time of 4.42.
"With the ball in his hands, he is a special human being," NFL Network's Mike Mayock quipped. Patterson is considered raw after spending just one season at D-I, following a JUCO transfer, but his skill set reminds of Julio Jones and Dez Bryant's with even better elusiveness post-catch. Patterson is the one wideout in the 2013 class with a legit chance to be a top-ten pick. A six-game breakdown of Patterson's tape can be accessed at the link below. Feb 24 - 11:55 AM

Quote:
Former NFL GM and current Senior Bowl director Phil Savage suggested that BYU DE Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah could be an NFL answer for athletic, read-option quarterbacks.
Ansah has an 82-plus-inch wingspan at 6-foot-5, 274, and is considered the best "in pursuit" player in the 2013 draft class. "Teams are so desperate to adjust what they're doing for all these read-option quarterbacks," said Savage. "You're going to need guys on the defensive line who can chase those guys down. Ansah is that guy." We like Ansah's chances of being a top-ten pick. Feb 18 - 3:20 PM
Source: Yahoo Sports

both have sick highlight footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMtBmOdYsqo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxkQXlCAfE

I'll be satisfied with either. Of course it's possible that they're both gone by the time we pick.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:37 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Re: Ansah or Patterson
Not me man. This draft is too deep with WRs to for us to use that 1st

& if we franchise Starks, then I think Odrick, Vernon, & Wake will be effective enough that we don't have to have a major contribution from a rookie DE

I'm holding out hope for Dee Milliner

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:43 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
BYU DE Ziggy Ansah ran forty times of 4.62 and 4.65 at the NFL Scouting Combine.
Ansah's official time won't be announced until later Monday, but to put those numbers into perspective, they're the exact same two unofficial times posted by Wisconsin RB Montee Ball. Ansah is beginning to look locked-in as a top-ten pick.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:50 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Patterson just strikes me as the kind of player that we're gonna be kicking ourselves 3 years from now for not taking when we easily could have him.

I see multiple Pro Bowls and highlight runs and 14 touchdown seasons. Hall of Fame type.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:45 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

swerve13 wrote:
Patterson just strikes me as the kind of player that we're gonna be kicking ourselves 3 years from now for not taking when we easily could have him.

I see multiple Pro Bowls and highlight runs and 14 touchdown seasons. Hall of Fame type.

Not sure I can ever say that about any prospect not named Andrew Luck. Those are hard expectations to put on the guy.

I think he's a top 10 player. Not sure he's a top 10 caliber WR. He's a ways away from that.

I still have my concerns over his hands and really question the mental aspect. He had some dumb penalties last season, and even at the combine didn't know to run up the sideline after the gauntlet...Plus the reports about him failing the meeting rooms.

Not saying that him being (seemingly) dumb will prevent him from being a great receiver. But I don't see Philbin taking him. He preaches how simple the game is, but they put a huge emphasis on smarts, especially at the skill positions on offense.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
I think he's a top 10 player. Not sure he's a top 10 caliber WR.

it's comments like this that make me dizzy.

He's a top 10 player according to you, but he's not a top 10 wide receiver? That doesnt even make any sense.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I don't know enough about him off the field and in team meetings and all that business (that's Ireland's job to know), but just going by his on-field play he is a really special player in a draft lacking special players. And that is why he is worth taking.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:12 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

He's a top 10 player according to you, but he's not a top 10 wide receiver? That doesnt even make any sense.

As in his overall game and playmaking ability is that of a top 10 player. Some people feel the same about Tavon Austin.

But as a WR he's not a top 10 pick right now. His route running needs a ton of work, he has questionable hands, lack of experience, mentally he's a question mark, etc.

But he's got return ability, you can line him up at RB, and be creative with him. Similar to Percy Harvin. Top 10 player. Not a top 10 caliber pick at strictly WR.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I can't wait for the uproar when Miami drafts an o-line guy in the first.

Didn't Patterson disappear against the better opponents?

I can't see this crew chancing it on a WR with questionable mental makeup and limited experience at a high level. Tannehill had limited experience but they brought in his coach, his college offense and he is probably one of the more intelligent players from last year's group.

I still think we shouldn't get overly excited about any prospect until FA is done. Heck, based on combine rumors you might see both Mike Wallace and Miles Austin in Miami next year. You can have a better debate about this in 3 or 4 weeks.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:41 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

It's pretty simple actually. He is a top 10 player in this draft but not a top 10 receiver in the NFL. :hithead:

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:52 pm

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

It's pretty simple actually. He is a top 10 player in this draft but not a top 10 receiver in the NFL. :hithead:

That's not what I meant lol.

I'll admit I phrased what I meant to say poorly.

Top 10 talent. Not a top 10 pick in terms of his ability at WR strictly.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

I can't see this crew chancing it on a WR with questionable mental makeup and limited experience at a high level. Tannehill had limited experience but they brought in his coach, his college offense and he is probably one of the more intelligent players from last year's group.

I still think we shouldn't get overly excited about any prospect until FA is done. Heck, based on combine rumors you might see both Mike Wallace and Miles Austin in Miami next year. You can have a better debate about this in 3 or 4 weeks.

You joke about us drafting an offensive lineman, but have you seen Warmack and Cooper, those are both very good interior offensive line prospects that have a legitimate shot to go in the top half of the first round.

I wouldnt' be surprised at all if Miami takes two offensive lineman in the first three to four rounds. This draft appears very deep when it comes to interior offensive linemen. The tackle prospects are pretty good as well.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:04 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
That's not what I meant lol.

Geez, just shut up and play along...

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

stock keeps rising

Quote:
ESPN AFC West blogger Bill Williamson considers Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson a "dark horse possibility" for the Chargers at No. 11 overall.
Patterson would add a beastly playmaking element to San Diego's offense. We're just not sure he's going to be available at No. 11

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
stock keeps rising

Quote:
ESPN AFC West blogger Bill Williamson considers Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson a "dark horse possibility" for the Chargers at No. 11 overall.
Patterson would add a beastly playmaking element to San Diego's offense. We're just not sure he's going to be available at No. 11

I'd rather have Justin Hunter. He's taller, has better jump ball skills (redzone threat), and is just as fast as Patterson (deep threat).

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:24 pm

swerve13 wrote:
stock keeps rising

Quote:

Because some blogger said so?

Well in that case, I think he goes in the 4th round.

OH! There, his stock dropped.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:29 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
jammer wrote:

You joke about us drafting an offensive lineman, but have you seen Warmack and Cooper, those are both very good interior offensive line prospects that have a legitimate shot to go in the top half of the first round.

I wouldnt' be surprised at all if Miami takes two offensive lineman in the first three to four rounds. This draft appears very deep when it comes to interior offensive linemen. The tackle prospects are pretty good as well.

I actually wasn't joking. Miami could easily take care of WR, TE, CB and DE before free agency is over. People need to realize that we don't have the slightest clue who their first pick will be and that Ireland will go BPA, even if it is a linemen.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
stock keeps rising

Quote:

Thank you. My point made.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:30 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Steve Zissou wrote:
Not me man. This draft is too deep with WRs to for us to use that 1st

& if we franchise Starks, then I think Odrick, Vernon, & Wake will be effective enough that we don't have to have a major contribution from a rookie DE

I'm holding out hope for Dee Milliner

I totally agree even though I love Patterson I hope we don't fall into the hype. If this guy was so great why was he the 3rd option on UT? He only got his chance when Da'Rick Rogers was kicked off the team. Why wasn't he a stud coming out of HS and went to JuCo?
I'm sure he will produce but I'd rather get Hopkins, Patterson, Goodwin and Bailey in the 2nd to 3rd rounds!
But to answer the question...I want Ansah but if Milliner is there I think we should get him.
Speaking of corners...Swerve why is the kid from Mississippi State (Banks) not rated higher? I think he is a straight ball hawk!

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:04 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

wkloiber13 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
stock keeps rising

Quote:

I'd rather have Justin Hunter. He's taller, has better jump ball skills (redzone threat), and is just as fast as Patterson (deep threat).

AND you can most likely get him in the 2nd round!

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:06 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
BYU DE Ziggy Ansah ran forty times of 4.62 and 4.65 at the NFL Scouting Combine.
Ansah's official time won't be announced until later Monday, but to put those numbers into perspective, they're the exact same two unofficial times posted by Wisconsin RB Montee Ball. Ansah is beginning to look locked-in as a top-ten pick.

Told you this kid would blow up. Would have liked to seen more than 21 reps @ 225 lbs, but to be 6'5, 271 lbs and run those times. Kid is going to be a BEAST.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:

no, it was Hunter that disappeared against better opponents

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:35 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

it's not simple. It's not even worded correctly. He certainly could become a top 10 NFL WR. He's being compared to Julio Jones and Dez Bryant.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:37 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
stock keeps rising

Quote:

Hunter played poorly against top level competition all year. He's not even considered a 1st round guy anymore.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:40 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
stock keeps rising

Quote:

Are you trying to say he's not a top 15 pick when everywhere you look his name is being thrown around the top 10. If you want to argue for arguments sake, by all means...do what you do.

Last edited by swerve13 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:42 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Quote:

I'll just keep taking yours and Rich's opinions over Mike Mayock, Daniel Jeremiah, Albert Breer, Brian Billick and every other NFL personnel man from now on. I mean they only get paid alot of money to be plugged into the NFL community.

:hithead:

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:46 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Told you this kid would blow up. Would have liked to seen more than 21 reps @ 225 lbs, but to be 6'5, 271 lbs and run those times. Kid is going to be a BEAST.

Quote:
According to NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah, BYU DE/OLB Ziggy Ansah may have sewn up a top-ten draft pick with dominant Senior Bowl game and Combine performances.
"I talked to a team that's picking in that 15-20 range that shook their head and said, 'No chance (he'll be available). No chance," Jeremiah said Monday. Ansah single-handedly took over the Senior Bowl game, earning Defensive MVP honors with 3 1/2 tackles for loss, 1 1/2 sacks, and a forced fumble. In Indy, Ansah clocked a 4.63 forty with 21 reps on the bench and a 34 1/2-inch vertical at 6-foot-5, 271. All long, we've projected Ansah as a top-ten pick.

ya Tony, seems like he's passed by Damontre Moore. I would still take Werner ahead of him as he is a more proven player. Both should go top 10.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:02 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:

CBS' Pete Prisco is reporting that UNC OG Jonathan Cooper could go before Alabama OG Chance Warmack.
Warmack is one of the highest rated players in this draft but has recently dropped in some people's eyes because of his height. Cooper measured in at a similar size but is lighter on his feet and offers more versatility as a possible center at the next level. Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reported only a few days ago that a "number of teams" have Cooper ahead of Warmack.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:03 am

swerve13 wrote:
no, it was Hunter that disappeared against better opponents

Patterson vs Florida, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina:

14 catches, 157 yards, 11.2 ypc.

Justin Hunter:

20 catches, 282 yards, 14.1 ypc.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:53 am

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I'll just keep taking yours and Rich's opinions over Mike Mayock, Daniel Jeremiah, Albert Breer, Brian Billick and every other NFL personnel man from now on. I mean they only get paid alot of money to be plugged into the NFL community.

:hithead:

You're missing the point, bro.

You're making all these ridiculous statements (only player with his talent in the past 20 years) and salivating over this guy, and you refuse to see the question makrs.

There is a lack of objectivity in your obsession with this player.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:56 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

no there isn't BRO. I have no stake in Patterson (other than wanting the best player for my team).
I'm not a Tennessee Volunteers fan.
And I'm on the record for not having a whole lot of confidence in Tennessee receivers.
But where there's smoke there's fire with this guy. Everyone raves about this guy.
I'm just listening to the people that get paid to say who the best players in this draft are.
Just haven't heard a whole lot of BAD about the guy.

I've already said that stuff could come out. We might find out he has a drug problem or an attitude problem or that he has a fake girlfriend, but as of right now he's an elite prospect at the position we need the most. Simple as that. And when you watch video of him he truly looks like a rare playmaker.
He is a threat to make a big play any time he touches the ball.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:19 pm

swerve13 wrote:
no there isn't BRO.

So saying that only once every 20 years does a player with his ability come out is objective.

Ok then...

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:21 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
no there isn't BRO.

So saying that only once every 20 years does a player with his ability come out is objective.

Ok then...

that's my belief. I don't remember a recent receiver with his 'make you miss ability'
And I'll admit he's truly raw. He's just scratching the surface. But what I did like was comments from his interview at the combine. He had a positive attitude and admitted he needs to grow as a receiver and become a better route runner. Didn't seem to have that typical Diva "I'm the best ever" attitude that often comes with these type of players.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:26 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
no there isn't BRO.

Ok then...

I've watched a ton of prospects over the years and I rarely say things like that about a player.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:28 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I don;t know too much about these guys but I do remember when Reggie Williams, Roy Williams, and Mike Williams came out and all the talking heads were saying all three will be probowl WRs and can't miss prospects. Well, fast forward......and well, they all blew. Mike actually got mad when another fan said he was a bust, they guy freaked out, I guess the truth hurts. The draft is fun, no doubt, but there are more busts than hits. I appreciate what all you draft guys do, seriosly, but I take the draft with a grain of salt.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Mak I honestly believe the draft process has gotten better, They probe and research these guys more and more every year. I think there were way more busts in the 80's and 90's than there have been in the past 10 drafts. They don't take the ludicrous risks anymore on guys like Mamula and Manderich. And the QB's do better as rookies because of all the rule changes and the NFL has adopted simpler college schemes that they are comfortable with.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]