View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 PFF: Ranking the 2013 Free Agent Cornerbacks 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post PFF: Ranking the 2013 Free Agent Cornerbacks
Quote:
1. Brent Grimes
2. Chris Houston
3. Adam Jones
4. Aqib Talib
5. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
6. Keenan Lewis
7. Sean Smith
8. Cary Williams
9. Bradley Fletcher
10. Greg Toler

Summary of each ranking at PFF

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:21 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: PFF: Ranking the 2013 Free Agent Cornerbacks
Keenan Lewis and Cary Williams are 2 corners I'd rather have over Smith

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The more I read, the more I think we are targeting Xavier Rhodes with our 1st rd pick. He's having an excellent combine.....showed big play capability at FL State and is the closest thing to a sure bet.

Report yesterday from the combine.

"Rhodes help us on his end, though, wow-ing many with a 40.5-inch vertical jump. 5.5 inches off the record set by Gerald Sensabaugh at the 2005 NFL Combine, Rhodes's jump was one of the best at the entire 2013 NFL Combine, let alone the group of defensive backs. He continued his strong day with an unofficial time of 4.41 in the 40-yard dash, which is more impressive considering his 6-2, 210-pound frame."

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rhodes helped himself out. So did Trufant. Both had great workouts. How high either rises remains to be seen. 12 is a very high landing spot. Milliner seems to have locked himself in to the top 8

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:34 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Ireland said on the radio the other day that he typically doesn't change his board because of the combine... could be GM speak but some of the other GM's have admitted on the same show to some changes due to performances here.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:44 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

IamPZ wrote:
Ireland said on the radio the other day that he typically doesn't change his board because of the combine... could be GM speak but some of the other GM's have admitted on the same show to some changes due to performances here.

Its all words and interpretation...

If there is a guy he had looked at pre combine and felt he was not a fit, then he would not change his opinion just because the guy performed well in some drills.... That makes sense

However if the guy was on the board, and he falls on his face at the combine I would imagine it would affect the decision..
If not he really is all the things we read in the media....

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:

Maybe that's what Ireland typically did and that's why the Dolphins had some very questionable drafts. His entire staff is at the combine this year, so undoubtedly there's a lot of importance on what these kids show.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:

[i]"Rhodes help us on his end, though, wow-ing many with a 40.5-inch vertical jump. 5.5 inches off the record set by Gerald Sensabaugh at the 2005 NFL Combinei

Rhodes is drawing comparisons to Gerald Sesnabaugh?!!????
That must be the most useless stat ever.
It helped Sesnsabaugh move his draft stock up. All the way to the late 5th round!!

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Degs, I don't think they're comparing Rhodes to Sensabaugh. They're simply stating Sensabaugh had the highest recorded vertical jump in the combine. To your point though, I'm not sure how important the vertical jump is............it's not like they're competing in a dunk contest.

My thought is they probably use it more as a dis-qualifier than anything else.......i.e. a poor jump height may indicate some type of knee or ligament damage.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
Degs, I don't think they're comparing Rhodes to Sensabaugh. Their simply stating Sensabaugh had the highest recorded vertical jump in the combine. To your point though, I'm not sure how important the vertical jump is............it's not like they're competing in a dunk contest.

My thought is they probably use it more as a dis-qualifier than anything else.......i.e. a poor jump height may indicate some type of knee or ligament damage.

My guess is that the author wanted to try and show how knowledgable he was by throwing in a fact that nobody ever heard of. It's not as if Rhodes was even close to the record.
Hence my sarcasm.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:27 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The more I read, the more I think we are targeting Xavier Rhodes with our 1st rd pick. He's having an excellent combine.....showed big play capability at FL State and is the closest thing to a sure bet.

A DB at 12? No way. A pass rush will make an average secondary look great. See the Giants 1st SB win. They were down to there nickel as a starter and signed pizza delivery guys to play (not really) and they looked awesome. Again, draft a DE to compliment Wake and watch our secondary shine. Kill two birds with one stone.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

You go with your needs......... Unlike WR, there aren't a lot of good options at CB in FA. I agree, a DE to match Wake would be great, but CB is a greater need. We drafted Vernon last year, he came out a year early, so like Lamar Miller, there's big expectations for him.

In a quick read pass happy NFL, quality CBs stock are rising.........Demarcus Milliner probably wont make it out of the top 5 and the Bills could take Rhodes at the 10 spot.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:30 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
Keenan Lewis and Cary Williams are 2 corners I'd rather have over Smith

I like those 2 guys also.......

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

A DB at 12? No way. A pass rush will make an average secondary look great. See the Giants 1st SB win. They were down to there nickel as a starter and signed pizza delivery guys to play (not really) and they looked awesome. Again, draft a DE to compliment Wake and watch our secondary shine. Kill two birds with one stone.

I wonder if we would take Damontre Moore if he plummets

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:45 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think if a corner sneaks into the top 15 it's going to be Trufant

Quote:
On the heels of a great Senior Bowl, Washington cornerback Desmond Trufant made himself some money with an electric time in the 40-yard dash. He turned in the third-fastest time of any defensive back at 4.38 seconds. The 6-foot, 190-pound corner has man-coverage skills and is gritty, confident and physical. Trufant had solid numbers on the bench press (16 reps), vertical leap (37.5 inches) and broad jump (125 inches). His tremendous Combine performance should solidify him with a first-round grade and could prompt a team to take him in the top 16.

Trufant was an excellent man-cover corner playing on an island in 2012. The senior recorded 36 tackles, 4.5 tackles for a loss, one interception, five passes broken up and a sack. Man corners are in serious demand, so it seems increasingly possible that he could land in the first half of Round 1.

Every year there seems to be a cornerback prospect who steadily climbs up draft boards in the final months before the NFL draft. South Carolina's Stephon Gilmore took that role in the 2012 NFL Draft; he rose all the way to the 10th pick. This year it looks like it is happening again courtesy of Trufant.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]