View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 The Hartline Replacement? 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post The Hartline Replacement?
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... -dolphins/

Actually makes him sound like the next Hartline (size, skill set)

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: The Hartline Replacement?
Swope will not be anything other than a slot receiver, that was Hartline's weakness so his replacement would be Jennings/Wallace if signed. If Bess is cleared for more cap space this offseason, Swope would be his replacement.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:01 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Swope should find a spot on an NFL team. I have seen him play at A & M and I am just doubting he will find his way on Miami's roster as he isn't the type of receiver the fins need at this point.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:02 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I just watched some youtube reels on Swope. He looks like Welker 2.0. Tough, quick and some playmaking ability. I'd love to see him in Miami, especially if he and Tannehill already have a comfort level from their college days. I recommend people take a look at some videos of the kid.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:27 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

And you guys are correct, he does not look like an outside receiver/Hartline replacement but he's fast enough to get behind some DBs so I think he could have that expanded Welker-like role.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:28 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

could he be like a Jordy in our offense?

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:48 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
could he be like a Jordy in our offense?

He doesn't seem to be a "size" guy with speed like Jordy Nelson. I made the Welker comparison because he's like that little booger who just finds an opening in the defense and just takes off...kind of the way Welker has annoyed me with his performances the last few years.

He can shed a tackle, take a hit, and run by defenders. Big YAC guy.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:11 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I do not see Miami drafting Swope unless they got him later in the draft. He is 6'0 and a SLOT receiver for the NFL. Davone Bess is entrenched in that spot and that is just IMO not Miami's first priority.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:49 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finhead34 wrote:
I do not see Miami drafting Swope unless they got him later in the draft. He is 6'0 and a SLOT receiver for the NFL. Davone Bess is entrenched in that spot and that is just IMO not Miami's first priority.

I agree that they wouldn't take him until the mid rounds but I'm not so sure Bess is entrenched. I think just about everyone in that WR group is expendable.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:00 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I hears ya Jammer. I just don't see Swope unseating Bess, but then again it is the players that prove themselves. It will be interesting to say the least IF Miami decided to draft the guy.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:07 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finhead34 wrote:
I hears ya Jammer. I just don't see Swope unseating Bess, but then again it is the players that prove themselves. It will be interesting to say the least IF Miami decided to draft the guy.

Oh I don't see him unseating Bess, but if Miami grabs a couple guys via FA/trade and drafts Tavon Austin then you have to wonder what becomes of Bess. Maybe he's trade bait, maybe a cap casualty. That is where I think Swope could find his way on the team and slowly develop into a 3rd/4th receiver working the slot mostly.

Its anyone's guess at this point and if I had to bet my money would be on Bess being a Dolphin in 2013. He's pretty valuable to the team, but I guess my point is that he can be upgraded.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:36 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He's a fast shifty route runner with great hands. I've read draft experts that call him another Jordy Nelson type of player. Every team can use a guy like that. Swope, if you've seen him play can line up at every receiver position in that A&M offense. Sherman could move him all over the field and use him however he wants, the kid knows every receiver position.

Swope was Tannehill's security blanket in college. Hartline was Tannehill's security blanket this season. If you have the chance to make your quarterback's life that much easier and give him another go-to guy in spread and four wide situations, why wouldn't you? Especially if the kid only costs you a 4th round pick.

Swope is a no-brainer in my opinion if he's still sitting there in the 4th round. Same goes for Luke Joeckel in the 1st if he falls out of the top ten by some miracle.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:35 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Luke Joeckel won't make it past the top five picks. Swope looked very inconsistent at the combine, perhaps it was nerves, but he dropped several passes. However, Swope would still be a nice pick later on.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Finhead34 wrote:

Swope would be an upgrade over Bess. I've heard a few times that Bess isnt in the long term plans.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:29 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

All I know is if we are "replacing" current players, I sure hope the next one is at the least as good as the one being replaced...

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:17 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

10acjed wrote:
All I know is if we are "replacing" current players, I sure hope the next one is at the least as good as the one being replaced...

True dat.

While I do think Hartline should get a good contract, I think a lot of fans (such as myself) are irked that he is asking for more than what he has put on the field. Heck, this was his "break-out" season in a contract year, and we've endured some very average play throughout his career here as we patiently waited for him to be worth that 2009 4th round pick. Right now he's asking for a top 10 NFL salary.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:39 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Big Dave wrote:
10acjed wrote:

True dat.

While I do think Hartline should get a good contract, I think a lot of fans (such as myself) are irked that he is asking for more than what he has put on the field. Heck, this was his "break-out" season in a contract year, and we've endured some very average play throughout his career here as we patiently waited for him to be worth that 2009 4th round pick. Right now he's asking for a top 10 NFL salary.

Yeah I wish he would have quietly signed an extension rather than push to FA... But with the new rookie wage scale, FA's tend to be getting more money than before. I cant hate a guy for trying to get ahead..

He is not worth what he is asking.. Im still on the same page as most here, offer him in the 4 mil range annually and leave it on the table.
If he does not want it then look at other FA's.. Not sure where Jennings stands, but if he is in the 6 mil range I would just go for him, Im sure trade talks have been going on this week as well for other WR's we may able to scoop up.

I do worry about the whole "learning the playbook" excuse we heard about our FA's last year, hopefully we get guys in early enough that they can learn it...

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:44 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Swope would be an upgrade over Bess. I've heard a few times that Bess isnt in the long term plans.

I guess we shall see, but remember, Bess had a heck of a set of stats coming out of Hawaii and has been in the NFL for a bit and knows the pace of the game better. Perhaps in time Swopes could be good, but I don't see him being an immediate upgrade over Bess.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:39 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
10acjed wrote:

True dat.

Miami has too many other holes to fill to let Hartline go. He is a solid #2 WR and will end up being resigned by Miami for 6 million a year for 3 or 4 years. Don't forget he put up 1000 yards this year and didn't play any preseason games due to injury. And IMO Hartline in the 4th round is one of the few decent picks Ireland has made.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:32 pm

Quote:
The Miami Herald reports free agent Brian Hartline wants to remain in Miami, and that "both sides" believe a deal can be reached before the start of free agency.
However, Hartline apparently isn't backing off his demand of $6 million per season, a price the Dolphins have thus far been unwilling to meet. The sides sound close enough to work out a deal before next Tuesday, but GM Jeff Ireland has been taking an "our price" approach with his in-house free agents. If he's unwilling to bend, Hartline will be gone.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

6 million is in the ballpark i would think...alot of wr.'s make more than that.

Just no big bonus money. done deal

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]