View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
 Would Ken Hamlin make a good fit here? 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Cowboys release Ken Hamlin
I'd be pretty surprised if Hamlin was not brought in for a visit, if not signed.

Quote:
The Dallas Cowboys started the purge of some under achieving veterans when they cut starting left tackle Flozell Adams and free safety Ken Hamlin on Friday morning, according to multiple sources.

Hamlin was coming off an average season where he finished with 74 tackles, no interceptions and four pass breakups. He missed four games with a high ankle sprain.

"I would like to say to all my fans that I appreciate all the love that you have showed me in Dallas," Hamlin said on his Twitter page. "It was a good run&..Thanks."

This was an interesting week for Hamlin, who missed the first day of the voluntary workouts because his scheduled flight out of Los Angeles didn't allow him to get to Dallas on time. Hamlin, along with wide receiver Miles Austin and cornerback Terence Newman, spent the weekend with several other NFL players attending the Playboy Golf Scramble at the Industry Hills Golf Club at Pacific Palms Resort in Industry Hills, Calif.

When asked by an ESPN reporter, who attended the party, about the chances of meeting his future wife at the Playboy Mansion Hamlin said, "I'm not holding out too much hope for meeting a wife. I'm just going to live in the moment."

As far as the Cowboys are concerned, the on-the-field moments are over.

Hamlin signed a one-year contract in 2007 after spending four seasons in Seattle. Hamlin earned his first Pro Bowl berth that year where he compiled career highs in tackles (102) and interceptions (five). The Cowboys rewarded Hamlin with a six-year $39 million deal.

But Hamlin's numbers went down in 2008 where he had 92 tackles and just one interception. Last season, Hamlin missed four games with a high ankle sprain and was replaced by Alan Ball. At the time, coach Wade Phillips praised Ball's work for getting the secondary in place and for making plays.

Hamlin returned for the final three games of the regular season and had 15 tackles and one pass breakup. Phillips said Hamlin was playing better toward the end of the season.

The Cowboys have a few options at safety in Michael Hamlin and Ball. Both Hamlin and Adams did not show for workouts scheduled today at Valley Ranch.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/ne ... pn_5050137

Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:24 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Cowboys release Ken Hamlin
i think ireland signed him in 2007 to that 1 year contract ,when he played well

got to be worth a visit like u said ,but his play last year didnt come up to scratch !!!

i dont know if he blew more plays than wilson ,but it must have been close

we havnt got much in the fs department so it would be a upgrade

Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:56 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Ken Hamlin will sign with someone, but I don't know that it will be with Miami. The best thing a secondary can have is a consistent pass rush, which is what Dallas has with there front.

If you can't make plays with the Dallas front, I'm not sure you can make plays and be a factor as a DB.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:13 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Hamlin could buy Miami another year to see what they have in Culver and Clemons. Perhaps a rotation with him mentoring.

It would allow Miami to use draft picks elsewhere.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:16 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I think Tyrone Culver can man the FS position. I would rather Miami give him a chance and roll with Chris Clemons backing him up.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:21 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

don't forget the S from the Rams, Otogwe, may become available before the season starts.......so that may still be an option as well.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:35 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Chanting in the background while dispersing subliminal vibes:
Thomas...Thomas...Thomas...

I just think he's going to be an exceptional NFL player. He's already an exceptional kid by all accounts, and there is nothing wrong with his work ethic. There are also no problems with his instincts and football savvy.

I say we nab him and have the kind of competition in preseason we had at CB with Davis and Smith competing for the start, only this will be between Thomas, Clemons and Culver for FS.
We missed on Rolle and Clark and I don't think this regime is going to make a play at Sharper.
I don't want to try our hand at another Renaldo Hill or Gibril Wilson.
There are some guys listing this draft as a half-dozen DTs deep that can play the Nose in a 3-4 well. There will be a quality guy available at #43.
Not so with Safety...there's basically three impact names. Berry (of course), Mays (who I think may become an excellent SS) and Thomas. NONE of those will be there at #43.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

pawfectgent wrote:
Not so with Safety...there's basically three impact names. Berry (of course), Mays (who I think may become an excellent SS) and Thomas. NONE of those will be there at #43.

Thomas would be good if you run a Tampa 2...but he's not going to be able to matchup with any tight ends very well.

There are plenty more options for free safety than you give credit:

Reshad Jones, Nate Allen, Major Wright, Chad Jones (probably will be taken to fill a strong safety, which Miami doesn't really need), Kurt Coleman...

Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:40 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I agree with Iowafin, and you can add Robert Johnson out of Utah and Myron Lewis out of Vanderbilt to that list as well.

The Dolphins are also looking at big CB's Chris Cook out of Virginia and Akwasi Owusu-Ansah out of Indiana(PA) that played a good bit of safety as well as CB.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:00 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

They also released Flozell Adams. I wonder if he has much left in the tank? Could he play another position besides LT? Just curious if he was able to play another position, we could shift some talent around and shore up our line now that we will be needing to fill holes at the LG and RG positions.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Phin wrote:
They also released Flozell Adams. I wonder if he has much left in the tank? Could he play another position besides LT? Just curious if he was able to play another position, we could shift some talent around and shore up our line now that we will be needing to fill holes at the LG and RG positions.

Since when do we have holes at Guard?

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:14 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phins Rock wrote:

We're trading Justin Smiley. Incognito is only signed for a year, and the RG position was weak last year.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:23 pm
Profile WWW

Big Dave wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

We're trading Justin Smiley. Incognito is only signed for a year, and the RG position was weak last year.

I disagree with that last statement. Donald Thomas was inconsistent at times, but was pretty good throughout most of the year. He started to wear down and share time with Garner towards the end of the year, but DT is an emerging star, IMO.

I don't know if we trade Smiley or not, but right now we have 4 legitimate starters at OG.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:43 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Thomas would be good if you run a Tampa 2...but he's not going to be able to matchup with any tight ends very well.

Why couldn't he?

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

pawfectgent wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Why couldn't he?

I was thinking he was smaller than he was, but he really bulked up his senior year. Not many safeties matchup well with TE's anyway, but if you can get up to somwhere around 210+ you can at least give some competition in the rebounding battle.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:34 pm

Iowa and paw....You have to have enough length to get around TE's. Earl does not have that.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:51 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins, Eric Berry and Earl Thomas are pretty much the same size and you are willing to trade up and get Berry.

Eric is 5'11 5/8, 211 lbs and Earl is 5' 10 1/4, 208. Arm length is 33 1/4 for Berry to 31 1/4 for Earl.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowa and paw....You have to have enough length to get around TE's. Earl does not have that.

Not necessarily, speed, vertical and timing make up for any size difference. Unless it's just too significant, like a 250lb, 6'5'' TE would just dominate someone like Bob Sanders or Jim Leonhard. Regardless...don't put your safety in a situation like that.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:04 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
Phins, Eric Berry and Earl Thomas are pretty much the same size and you are willing to trade up and get Berry.

Eric is 5'11 5/8, 211 lbs and Earl is 5' 10 1/4, 208. Arm length is 33 1/4 for Berry to 31 1/4 for Earl.

Berry measured in at 6' + at the combine, and plays at 210-215 pouns. Thomas is 5'10, and has yet to play a game over 200#.

There is a significant size difference. Plus, if you add in Berry's playmaking ability all over the field, and the versatility he provides as far as being able to play near the box and play the run, (something we NEED our FS to be able to do), and the lack of ability that Thomas has from that standpoint....The difference between them becomes even larger, especially for a 34 team like Miami.

Berry is the truth. Thomas is a very good player, but does not fit our defense, IMO, and is not nearly the playmaker that Berry is.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Thomas. He's an extremely good character guy with a great work ethic and all that. But Berry is a once in a decade type of prospect at Safety. I know many would disagree, but I really think Berry is the next Polamalu.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:06 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Not necessarily, speed, vertical and timing make up for any size difference. Unless it's just too significant, like a 250lb, 6'5'' TE would just dominate someone like Bob Sanders or Jim Leonhard. Regardless...don't put your safety in a situation like that.

So you're going to put your LB's in a position to cover athletic TE's?? Berry can cover the TE, which is one of the things that makes him so special, IMO.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

So you're going to put your LB's in a position to cover athletic TE's?? Berry can cover the TE, which is one of the things that makes him so special, IMO.

Why does it have to be one or the other? If you're playing against Antonio Gates, you bracket him.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:14 pm

And then you leave the seem wide open for other guys....

A great TE is going to burn you whatever you do, whether it is him making the play or opening things up elsewhere. But having a guy like Berry could really limit what the TE can do, and could work wonders for a defense, now not having to worry about the TE as much.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
And then you leave the seem wide open for other guys....

A great TE is going to burn you whatever you do, whether it is him making the play or opening things up elsewhere. But having a guy like Berry could really limit what the TE can do, and could work wonders for a defense, now not having to worry about the TE as much.

How would bracketing a TE leave the seam wide open? It all depends on situation, down and distance, where he's lined up and stuff like that.
I get your point about Berry...I agree that Berry would matchup better with TE's than Thomas, but I'm disowning my original comment that Thomas wouldn't matchup well at all because he's bigger than I thought he was.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:42 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

So I want to hear the logic behind getting rid of Toast Wilson and then advocating the signing of Toast Hamlin? Aren't we a little tired of signing retreads in this area especially ones known to have coverage issues.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:58 am

Phins Rock wrote:
Plus, if you add in Berry's playmaking ability all over the field, and the versatility he provides as far as being able to play near the box and play the run, (something we NEED our FS to be able to do), and the lack of ability that Thomas has from that standpoint....The difference between them becomes even larger, especially for a 34 team like Miami.

Berry is the truth. Thomas is a very good player, but does not fit our defense, IMO, and is not nearly the playmaker that Berry is.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Thomas. He's an extremely good character guy with a great work ethic and all that. But Berry is a once in a decade type of prospect at Safety. I know many would disagree, but I really think Berry is the next Polamalu.

Berry 2009 - 83 Tackles, 7 PD, 1 FF, 2 Ints, 1 TD
Thomas 2009 - 63 Tackles, 16 PD, 1 FF, 8 Ints, 2 TDs

I'll agree Berry is a stud, but I have yet to see any part of Thomas' game that is weak.
Here is one scouting report on him:
Quote:
He's one of the most physical Safeties in the draft, and has no qualms about sacrificing his body for a play. Some think that he's better suited to play a very physical CB in the NFL, to maximize his coverage skills, and try and keep his body intact.
But he's got great strength both in coverage and in run support, he runs very well, is a great leaper, and has soft hands. He can blitz when asked to, and literally anchors the back 4 of the Longhorn defense.
Reminds me of: Troy Polamalu, S Pittsburgh Steelers-Both a little undersized, super aggressive, and able to do anything on the football field. Thomas can certainly grow into the kind of impact player Polamalu is, given the right scheme and coaching. All the physical tools are there.

http://draftboardinsider.com/cgi-bin/prospect.cgi?id=1089
Here is another:
Quote:
...he is not a weak player. He has good coverage skills and a ton of speed, so he could be converted into a corner. However, he has enough strength to play strong safety in most systems...

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2100

These were just the first two I came across. I'm telling you, Phinsy, he's going to be a star. PS, Troy Polamalu 5'10 207...

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:50 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:

You can't be serious......?

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:42 pm

Phin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:

You can't be serious......?

Quite.

Even if we do trade Smiley, we have a rising star in Donald Thomas; a very good OG in Richie Incognito that just got signed; and Nate Garner, who despite last year being his first year at guard, played really well.

Right now, without Smiley, we still have 3 legit. starting guards. We also have a guy like Berger who can kick out to guard as well.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:56 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Quite.

Even if we do trade Smiley, we have a rising star in Donald Thomas; a very good OG in Richie Incognito that just got signed; and Nate Garner, who despite last year being his first year at guard, played really well.

Right now, without Smiley, we still have 3 legit. starting guards. We also have a guy like Berger who can kick out to guard as well.

I wholeheartedly disagree; the guard position will be a weak point on this offensive line this year unless they do something to add some talent. Taking away Smiley will be a major blow to the position, and RG was already weak last year.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:59 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Would Ken Hamlin make a good fit here?
Does anyone think that picking up Hammlin is a good fit for use or should we just try and go young in are secondary?

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:16 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Would Kim Hammlin make a good fit here?
Ken .. Ken Hamlin

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:23 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Would Kim Hammlin make a good fit here?
hypocritex wrote:
Ken .. Ken Hamlin

Thanks....thought his name was Kim lol

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]