View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Cornerback options 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Cornerback options
* Keenan Lewis, Lewis shined as a first-time starter this season,
Lewis figures to attract significant action on the open market as
he's just 26 years old and reaching his prime.

* Chris Houston, Detroit: While undersized (5-11, 178),
Houston surrendered just 3 TDs in 94 passes thrown his way.

* Brent Grimes, Atlanta: Former NFL Europe star-turned-Pro Bowler who’s
coming off a torn Achilles he suffered in the first game of the season.

* Leodis McKelvin, Buffalo: He’s the right age (27) and allowed just 9.5 yards per
completion last year, 10th best in NFL.

* Cary Williams, Baltimore: After a slow start to the season, Williams came on late.
Picked off Tom Brady in the AFC title game.

* Antoine Cason, Cason came on late in 2012 to finish with 73 tackles,
two interceptions, and 11 pass deflections as a 16-game starter

some corners i like in round 2:
Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Johnthan Banks, Jamar Taylor, Darius Slay, David Amerson

rounds 3 and 4:
Jordan Poyer, Robert Alford, Logan Ryan, Leon McFadden, Tyrann Mathieu,
Brandon McGee, Terry Hawthorne, Dwayne Gratz, Will Davis, B.W. Webb

Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:54 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: Cornerback options
I like Keenan Lewis a lot and Leodis McKelvin could be a guy you might be able to get a nice deal.

I don't think Miami will look at Tyronn Mathieu due to his off the field issues and getting kicked off the team at LSU.

Amerson helped himself with the combine, and in 2011 he was special with 13 interceptions. And while he had 5 picks in 2012, he got beat ALOT. Tennessee went after him the 1st game of the year with great success and the Miami game was just a nightmare. Be interested in seeing what Big Dave thinks of Amerson.

Banks, Taylor and Sleigh are all guys I like in the 2nd round.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I could have swore I heard something months ago about Ireland really liking Mathieu. I'll see if i can find that.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
And NFL teams are listening to Mathieu, too. A source close to Mathieu said he has talked formally and informally with about 20 teams this week at the Senior Bowl, including the Dolphins — who sent their entire scouting department to interview him Monday night.
Despite his past troubles, the Dolphins certainly could use a player with Mathieu’s dynamic abilities. They need depth at cornerback — especially if free agent Sean Smith signs elsewhere — and could use a playmaker on defense and special teams. As a true sophomore in 2011, the diminutive Mathieu (5-feet-9, 180 pounds) was a consensus All-American, scoring two touchdowns on defense and two more on punt returns.

Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland said he will investigate Mathieu with an open mind.
“You’re going to gather the information. You’re going to talk to the young man, and you’re going to find out there’s two different sides of the story,” Ireland said Tuesday. “So we’re going to sit down with every individual that we feel like has a great football talent, and we’re going to try to find out what that kid’s made of.”

- See more at: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... R5H0F.dpuf

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:46 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
And NFL teams are listening to Mathieu, too. A source close to Mathieu said he has talked formally and informally with about 20 teams this week at the Senior Bowl, including the Dolphins — who sent their entire scouting department to interview him Monday night.
Despite his past troubles, the Dolphins certainly could use a player with Mathieu’s dynamic abilities. They need depth at cornerback — especially if free agent Sean Smith signs elsewhere — and could use a playmaker on defense and special teams. As a true sophomore in 2011, the diminutive Mathieu (5-feet-9, 180 pounds) was a consensus All-American, scoring two touchdowns on defense and two more on punt returns.

Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland said he will investigate Mathieu with an open mind.
“You’re going to gather the information. You’re going to talk to the young man, and you’re going to find out there’s two different sides of the story,” Ireland said Tuesday. “So we’re going to sit down with every individual that we feel like has a great football talent, and we’re going to try to find out what that kid’s made of.”

That's very interesting swerve. I wonder if Joe Philbin would be on board with possibly bringing Mathieu in.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Mathieu is still extremely young. He made some bad mistakes for sure, but if he can turn his attitude around he could become a huge pick up for a great value for some NFL team. I hope he comes to Miami as that kid can play and he has a natural nose for the ball & making big plays.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

That's very interesting swerve. I wonder if Joe Philbin would be on board with possibly bringing Mathieu in.

I don't know about you Tony but I've always liked the kid. Kind of like a smaller Cortland Finnegan.
If he indeed takes a slide because of the drug use i'd love to get him in the 4th rd.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:22 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

He was definitely a playmaker at LSU. I did see him get exposed from time to time and like all players, he has room to improve. By there is no questioning his big play ability.

Much homework will need to be done. A kid with drug issues coming to South Beach gives reasons to be concerned.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]