View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:13 am



Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ] 
 Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy? 
Author Message
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:36 pm
Posts: 494
Location: Ruff Buff NY
Post Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Think the last time he stayed healthy was is 1st yr? Maybe we used him to much makeing him about 80% of are offence? Tell me what you think :grin:

_________________
Image


Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:09 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Did you already forget 2008? I don't know where you got your information, but Ronnie Brown is a loooooooooong way from 80% of the offense.

_________________
Image


Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:18 pm
Profile
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3227
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Ronnie is a big part of the offense when healthy, but 80% of the offense is unrealistic. Plus, this year Ricky Williams lead the team in TD's with 13, 11 rushing and 2 receiving. Ronnie finished with 8 TD's.

Brown and Williams did account for 65% of the touchdowns scored by the Dolphins last year.

As far as why Ronnie can't stay healthy, some of it is bad luck, but as much as you hate to say it, Ronnie has been susceptible to injuries. 1 full season since he was drafted makes you come to that conclusion.

2005-15, 2006-13, 2007-7, 2008-16, 2009-7 games.

_________________
Image


Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:35 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 312
Location: PA
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
acl injuries are a lot of times bad luck from taking a cut and such. wes welker last year is a prime example.


Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:36 pm
Posts: 494
Location: Ruff Buff NY
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
:hithead: Ok your right not 80% of the O but seems like he did do more than his fare share and I need more than just 1 full season healthy from him but he is still a very good back

_________________
Image


Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:50 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
With Ronnie this offense, and this team, is playoff caliber. Without him, we are very mediocre.

He is our best player, and can do everything and has done everything for this football team. It really is unfortunate that he has not had a healthy career.


Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:11 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:36 pm
Posts: 494
Location: Ruff Buff NY
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
I think if he stays healthy and r other key players we could make a real good run at AFC east leader and who knows maybe take the whole AFC by storm the o-line looks good (qb) solid, (wr) needs little help Hartline and Bess were very good late pick ups so some help on the d-side and we could be good

_________________
Image


Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:31 pm
Profile
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 3694
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Phins Rock wrote:
With Ronnie this offense, and this team, is playoff caliber. Without him, we are very mediocre.

He is our best player, and can do everything and has done everything for this football team. It really is unfortunate that he has not had a healthy career.


We could plug in Spiller and be just fine.


Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:52 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:36 pm
Posts: 494
Location: Ruff Buff NY
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
IamPZ wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
With Ronnie this offense, and this team, is playoff caliber. Without him, we are very mediocre.

He is our best player, and can do everything and has done everything for this football team. It really is unfortunate that he has not had a healthy career.


We could plug in Spiller and be just fine.

Spiller does have speed and will run for days but dont think he is ready to take over for Ronnie just yet even with Ricky pulling some of the load

_________________
Image


Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:27 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
IamPZ wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
With Ronnie this offense, and this team, is playoff caliber. Without him, we are very mediocre.

He is our best player, and can do everything and has done everything for this football team. It really is unfortunate that he has not had a healthy career.


We could plug in Spiller and be just fine.


It's hard to have a good argument about just how good a RB is. However, I'll say this: Ronnie Brown is a complete back, and means the world to this offense, as we have seen whenever he has gotten hurt. CJ Spiller is a speedster who looks great on youtube videos because of the ammount of big plays he gets. However, give me the guy who gets 4-5 yards on every carry, rather than the guy who gets 1 or 2, and every once in a while breaks one.

It's fine to have a CJ Spiller in the rotation, but to make him your featured player on offense would be a mistake.


Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:14 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Phins Rock wrote:
give me the guy who gets 4-5 yards on every carry, rather than the guy who gets 1 or 2, and every once in a while breaks one.


Give me a break. Spiller breaks one "every once in a while."? For once, do some research before spouting off.

_________________
Image


Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:31 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
give me the guy who gets 4-5 yards on every carry, rather than the guy who gets 1 or 2, and every once in a while breaks one.


Give me a break. Spiller breaks one "every once in a while."? For once, do some research before spouting off.


Yes....every once in a while. Like once a game, sometimes none.

And again, this offense is about time of posession, driving down the field, wearing the defense out, moving the chains....If Spiller does not break one, he is killing drives. Sorry, but that's the truth.


Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:32 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
give me the guy who gets 4-5 yards on every carry, rather than the guy who gets 1 or 2, and every once in a while breaks one.


Give me a break. Spiller breaks one "every once in a while."? For once, do some research before spouting off.


Yes....every once in a while. Like once a game, sometimes none.

And again, this offense is about time of posession, driving down the field, wearing the defense out, moving the chains....If Spiller does not break one, he is killing drives. Sorry, but that's the truth.


"Like once a game." Haha...so a guy that breaks a TD "like once a game" just isn't worth it. Please, if you can get a guy that will score you a TD once a game, you take him. In case you didn't know, that's 16 TDs

_________________
Image


Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:35 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Break one doesn't necassarily mean a TD. I mean like a 20 yarder, and yeah, sometimes the homerun.

And you don't make those types of guys featured backs, which is what I am argueing. Again, he is worth being used in a certain role, but not as THE guy.


Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:40 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Phins Rock wrote:
Break one doesn't necassarily mean a TD. I mean like a 20 yarder, and yeah, sometimes the homerun.

And you don't make those types of guys featured backs, which is what I am argueing. Again, he is worth being used in a certain role, but not as THE guy.


There is no such thing as a feature back in the NFL anymore.

_________________
Image


Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:45 pm
Profile
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3227
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Phins, it would be certainly nice to see the Dolphins be more explosive. Grind it out drives are nice when you want to run the clock out, but putting points on the board is the main goal.

Plus, those long grind it out drives can lead to turnovers if you don't execute the entire drive.

Whether it be an explosive player like Spiller or Bryant, the big play needs to be more of a part of this offense.

_________________
Image


Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:52 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Break one doesn't necassarily mean a TD. I mean like a 20 yarder, and yeah, sometimes the homerun.

And you don't make those types of guys featured backs, which is what I am argueing. Again, he is worth being used in a certain role, but not as THE guy.


There is no such thing as a feature back in the NFL anymore.


Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, MJD, Michael Turner, Ryan Grant, Matt Forte (although maybe not anymore), Stephen Jackson, and Frank Gore are not featured backs??

But w.e. It's irrelevant.

Good job avoiding my point though. :grin:


Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:53 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Break one doesn't necassarily mean a TD. I mean like a 20 yarder, and yeah, sometimes the homerun.

And you don't make those types of guys featured backs, which is what I am argueing. Again, he is worth being used in a certain role, but not as THE guy.


There is no such thing as a feature back in the NFL anymore.


Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, MJD, Michael Turner, Ryan Grant, Matt Forte (although maybe not anymore), Stephen Jackson, and Frank Gore are not featured backs??

But w.e. It's irrelevant.

Good job avoiding my point though. :grin:



You can have Stephen Jackson, the rest of those guys split carries.

You made no point.

_________________
Image


Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:55 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
phinsfansc wrote:
Phins, it would be certainly nice to see the Dolphins be more explosive. Grind it out drives are nice when you want to run the clock out, but putting points on the board is the main goal.

Plus, those long grind it out drives can lead to turnovers if you don't execute the entire drive.

Whether it be an explosive player like Spiller or Bryant, the big play needs to be more of a part of this offense.


I think you will see more big plays from everybody with a number 1 WR on the outside like Dez, including Ronnie and Ricky.

Spiller is a good player, and can contribute in a multitude of ways, but to me, he is no more than a role player. I don't think he is the next Chris Johnson, and do not think he is worth the 12th pick.

I agree that the offense needs to be more explosive, but that does not mean making a guy who averages 2-3 yards per carry, (taking out his big runs), you're featured player.


Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:57 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Iowafin wrote:
You can have Stephen Jackson, the rest of those guys split carries.

You made no point.


Chris Johnson splits carries? With who? Vince young?

Sorry, but Adrian Peterson is a featured back.

Frank Gore is/was the only guy who got any carries in San Fran.

MJD IS the Jaguar offense, and if he isn't getting a carry, it's because it's garbage time.

Who did Forte split carries with last year? Jay Cutler was their second leading rusher...

Michael Turner got nearly 400 carries in 2008, and would have gotten the same had it not been for injuries last year. That's not a feature back?

Did I forget someone??

But what the hell does this have to do with the original argument? You're avoiding my point...I'm done.


Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:05 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
You can have Stephen Jackson, the rest of those guys split carries.

You made no point.


Chris Johnson splits carries? With who? Vince young?

Sorry, but Adrian Peterson is a featured back.

Frank Gore is/was the only guy who got any carries in San Fran.

MJD IS the Jaguar offense, and if he isn't getting a carry, it's because it's garbage time.

Who did Forte split carries with last year? Jay Cutler was their second leading rusher...

Michael Turner got nearly 400 carries in 2008, and would have gotten the same had it not been for injuries last year. That's not a feature back?

Did I forget someone??

But what the hell does this have to do with the original argument? You're avoiding my point...I'm done.


You made no point.
Guys getting injured are exactly my point. You can't be a feature back and expect to have a good offense. The Rams offense sucks. The Jaguars offense sucks. The Bears offense sucks. The 49ers offense sucks.

And AP split carries with Chester Taylor.

_________________
Image


Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:11 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:19 am
Posts: 257
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
You can have Stephen Jackson, the rest of those guys split carries.

You made no point.


Chris Johnson splits carries? With who? Vince young?

Sorry, but Adrian Peterson is a featured back.

Frank Gore is/was the only guy who got any carries in San Fran.

MJD IS the Jaguar offense, and if he isn't getting a carry, it's because it's garbage time.

Who did Forte split carries with last year? Jay Cutler was their second leading rusher...

Michael Turner got nearly 400 carries in 2008, and would have gotten the same had it not been for injuries last year. That's not a feature back?

Did I forget someone??

But what the hell does this have to do with the original argument? You're avoiding my point...I'm done.


You made no point.
Guys getting injured are exactly my point. You can't be a feature back and expect to have a good offense. The Rams offense sucks. The Jaguars offense sucks. The Bears offense sucks. The 49ers offense sucks.

And AP split carries with Chester Taylor.

I'm pretty sure that AP had something like three times as many carries as taylor so that's not exactly splitting...
Not only do those teams offenses suck you have to remember that those Qb's running those offenses really sucked too so to say that the 'featured backs' are the problem is totally not fair.
Look at the Colts they run a 1 back system and they do alright or the packers?..I don't recall two backs there....it just boils down to being able to throw the football ,I think you can run a feature back if your strong in the passing game..


Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:39 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:36 pm
Posts: 494
Location: Ruff Buff NY
 Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
You made a good point Paydurt...I just wish Ronnie would stay healthy him and Rick plus Cobb coming back so u put anyone else back there and it will help

_________________
Image


Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:47 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
paydurt wrote:
Look at the Colts they run a 1 back system and they do alright or the packers?...


The Colts use three backs. Donald Brown, Joseph Addai and Mike Hart. Plus they throw the ball over 60% of the time anyway....successful offenses don't have feature backs, they have RB's by committee.

The Packers hardly run the ball...they were pretty inconsistent last year, but handoffs to Brandon Jackson and Ahman Green weren't uncommon throughout the year.

The days of Shaun Alexander, Jamal Lewis, Ricky Williams, Ladanian Tomlinson, Priest Holmes, or Ahman Green carrying your football are pretty much over.

AP is a tremendous back, yeah he's a feature back. So is MJD, Stephen Jackson....

but the point is, just because a guy isn't a "feature back" doesn't mean he's not worth a top pick.

_________________
Image


Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:34 am
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:36 pm
Posts: 494
Location: Ruff Buff NY
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Iowafin wrote:
paydurt wrote:
Look at the Colts they run a 1 back system and they do alright or the packers?...


The Colts use three backs. Donald Brown, Joseph Addai and Mike Hart. Plus they throw the ball over 60% of the time anyway....successful offenses don't have feature backs, they have RB's by committee.

The Packers hardly run the ball...they were pretty inconsistent last year, but handoffs to Brandon Jackson and Ahman Green weren't uncommon throughout the year.

The days of Shaun Alexander, Jamal Lewis, Ricky Williams, Ladanian Tomlinson, Priest Holmes, or Ahman Green carrying your football are pretty much over.

AP is a tremendous back, yeah he's a feature back. So is MJD, Stephen Jackson....

but the point is, just because a guy isn't a "feature back" doesn't mean he's not worth a top pick.

I think Spiller can help us also with that speed if we can get him with a later pick or u think with the 12pick?

_________________
Image


Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:47 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 8927
Location: Fargo, ND
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
I think most if not all of Ronnie's injuries have been bad luck. He broke his thumb on a helmet one year and missed some games; hardly an endurance issue. His first year he missed some games towards the end of the season due to a hamstring injury; that might actually have been an endurance issue but not necessarily. The year he blew out his ACL was while trying to tackle the guy who intercepted one of Lemon's errant passes; not an endurance issue. Then last year he hurt his foot in a fluke deal.
Regardless of whether or not his injuries have been accidents or due to lack of endurance is a mute point, the fact remains that he has had only one healthy season while splitting carries.
The guy has great talent, but he doesn't have great luck when it comes to staying healthy. When on the field though, I believe he is a top 5 back in the NFL.


Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:03 am
Profile
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4144
Location: The Bluegrass
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Phins Rock wrote:
Break one doesn't necassarily mean a TD. I mean like a 20 yarder, and yeah, sometimes the homerun.


Man. You REALLY need to do some research before making judgments. If "he only breaks one once a game" is your best argument against taking Spiller, and your definition of breaking one is rushes of 20 yards or more, than Ronnie Brown sucks. Ronnie brown only has 12 CAREER runs of 20+ yards. That's one every 5 games.

I'm not trying to argue that we should take Spiller. I don't think we should. But your proclamations of genius football acumen are not supported by the facts, and it makes you look absolutely stupid. You are not an expert in football. Please stop pretending you are.

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:17 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
eleaf wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Break one doesn't necassarily mean a TD. I mean like a 20 yarder, and yeah, sometimes the homerun.


Man. You REALLY need to do some research before making judgments. If "he only breaks one once a game" is your best argument against taking Spiller, and your definition of breaking one is rushes of 20 yards or more, than Ronnie Brown sucks. Ronnie brown only has 12 CAREER runs of 20+ yards. That's one every 5 games.


When did I ever say we shouldn't take Spiller because of the lack of big runs he has?

My argument is that while he does break off these long runs every once in a while, he is not an every down back, and when he does not break off these long runs, he is barely getting 2 or 3 yards a pop. Ronnie Brown is a horse that will get you 4-5 ypc. Give me that rather than a guy who will put you in 3rd and long situations consistently.

Again, I'm not saying Spiller is a bad player, or somebody that would not be good for this offense in a certain role. But as a featured back like iowa is suggesting? I don't think so. Chris Johnson's, Barry Sanderds...those guys are rare. CJ is not either of those 2 guys, and I think taking him at 12 with that sort of intention would be an horendous mistake.

Iowa, with all the needs that this team has, and with the amount of good talent at RB all over the draft, every year...you are really going to spend the 12 pick on a situational player?

As the great nonconformist thinker and philosopher of our time, Chad Ocho Cinco, would say....Child Please.


Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:50 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Personally, I think Brown and Spiller would compliment each other nicely. I am a big Ronnie Brown fan.. and I don't think he gets enough credit for what he means to this team. With that being said. We can't rest our season on whether or not this guy is going to be healthy. We need more firepower on our offense. IMO, we need a #1 WR. Spiller would be nice too.

_________________
Image


Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:16 am
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 312
Location: PA
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
i like spiller. he does remind me a lot of chris johnson with his flashiness. id love to see him in a dolphins uniform because ricky is getting old, and it has been proven thus far that ronnie cannot carry the load of carries throughout an entire season. he needs a back to split carries with, as he did in college, and spiller would definitely compliment him with a change of pace. that being said, if spiller and dez bryant were both available at 12, i would still take bryant.


Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 8927
Location: Fargo, ND
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Phins Rock wrote:
eleaf wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Break one doesn't necassarily mean a TD. I mean like a 20 yarder, and yeah, sometimes the homerun.


Man. You REALLY need to do some research before making judgments. If "he only breaks one once a game" is your best argument against taking Spiller, and your definition of breaking one is rushes of 20 yards or more, than Ronnie Brown sucks. Ronnie brown only has 12 CAREER runs of 20+ yards. That's one every 5 games.


When did I ever say we shouldn't take Spiller because of the lack of big runs he has?

My argument is that while he does break off these long runs every once in a while, he is not an every down back, and when he does not break off these long runs, he is barely getting 2 or 3 yards a pop. Ronnie Brown is a horse that will get you 4-5 ypc. Give me that rather than a guy who will put you in 3rd and long situations consistently.

Again, I'm not saying Spiller is a bad player, or somebody that would not be good for this offense in a certain role. But as a featured back like iowa is suggesting? I don't think so. Chris Johnson's, Barry Sanderds...those guys are rare. CJ is not either of those 2 guys, and I think taking him at 12 with that sort of intention would be an horendous mistake.

Iowa, with all the needs that this team has, and with the amount of good talent at RB all over the draft, every year...you are really going to spend the 12 pick on a situational player?

As the great nonconformist thinker and philosopher of our time, Chad Ocho Cinco, would say....Child Please.

So basically what your saying here is that only backs like Chris Johnson and Barry Sanders are worthy of being taken in the first round because they are (in your words) every down backs. Dude, as mentioned previously, your no football genius. I like you PR, but you need to be able to quit when your behind. You may be justified in your argument not to take Spiller because he is not a need, but your arguments to the affect of what an every down back is and all that, well they make you sound a bit foolish. If rb was a need, I wouldn't hesitate to spend it on Spiller, but its not a dire need for us, so I am not in favor of drafting him (although I won't cry if we do).


Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:46 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Phin wrote:
So basically what your saying here is that only backs like Chris Johnson and Barry Sanders are worthy of being taken in the first round because they are (in your words) every down backs.


Lol. That's not what I was saying.

I used Barry Sanders and Chris Johnson as examples because those are who people (iowa) are comparing CJ Spiller too. And I'm saying that he is not. Finesse, pure speed RB's are rarely able to come into the NFL and be every down, featured players. See Reggie Bush.

That's all. Not saying that only if you are a Barry Sanders that you are worthy of the 12 pick. Just saying that you should be more than just a situational/role player.


Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:56 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:
So basically what your saying here is that only backs like Chris Johnson and Barry Sanders are worthy of being taken in the first round because they are (in your words) every down backs.


Lol. That's not what I was saying.

I used Barry Sanders and Chris Johnson as examples because those are who people (iowa) are comparing CJ Spiller too.


More false facts.

_________________
Image


Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:05 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:
So basically what your saying here is that only backs like Chris Johnson and Barry Sanders are worthy of being taken in the first round because they are (in your words) every down backs.


Lol. That's not what I was saying.

I used Barry Sanders and Chris Johnson as examples because those are who people (iowa) are comparing CJ Spiller too.


More false facts.


You compare him to Johnson every chance you get.....

iowafin wrote:
but Spiller brings everything Johnson has and maybe even more.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=777&p=9018&hilit=Chris+Johnson#p9018

Quote:
He's not Felix Jones, Pat White or Reggie Bush....
He's Chris Johnson, and well worth the 12th overall.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=765&p=8979&hilit=Chris+Johnson#p8979

Quote:
So, all that to consider, say Miami takes CJ Spiller in the 1st round. He could be just as effective as Chris Johnson was, plus he's a better receiver, or at least more practiced at it than Johnson was coming out of ECU.


Sorry for all the false facts. :hithead:


Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:09 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Phins Rock wrote:

You compare him to Johnson every chance you get.....

iowafin wrote:
but Spiller brings everything Johnson has and maybe even more.

http://phinfever.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... nson#p9018

Quote:
He's not Felix Jones, Pat White or Reggie Bush....
He's Chris Johnson, and well worth the 12th overall.

http://phinfever.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... nson#p8979

Quote:
So, all that to consider, say Miami takes CJ Spiller in the 1st round. He could be just as effective as Chris Johnson was, plus he's a better receiver, or at least more practiced at it than Johnson was coming out of ECU.


Sorry for all the false facts. :hithead:


Ah, I love it when you prove me right.

Do you see any mention of Barry Sanders in there? The only "people" to compare him to Barry Sanders is you.

Just like you're the only one that makes Graham a SOLB and Hughes a WOLB.

_________________
Image


Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:15 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
You guys are silly. And off topic. Lol. Just my 2 cents.

I like Spiller a lot. It isn't fair to compare him to any legends until he shows what he can do at the next level. With that being said.. It would be nice to have him as compliment to Ronnie.. also in the event that Ronnie went down. We would still have a playmaker at the position.

_________________
Image


Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:24 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 8927
Location: Fargo, ND
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
PR, playmakers certainly are worth a first round pick. You don't have to be a grind it out powerhouse/workhorse back to be of value or worth taking in the first round. Spiller is first round talent (as far as you can tell at this point in time, which is what all teams have to do when they draft a player - - speculate) even if he isn't a CJ, AP, LT, or whoever else you want to compare him to. Is Reggie Bush (someone your comparing to) worth a first round pick? Well not the 2nd overall IMO, but I believe after what he did this year for the Saints, he would warrant a late first round pick.


Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:04 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Why cant Ronnie Brown stay healthy?
Phin wrote:
PR, playmakers certainly are worth a first round pick. You don't have to be a grind it out powerhouse/workhorse back to be of value or worth taking in the first round. Spiller is first round talent (as far as you can tell at this point in time, which is what all teams have to do when they draft a player - - speculate) even if he isn't a CJ, AP, LT, or whoever else you want to compare him to. Is Reggie Bush (someone your comparing to) worth a first round pick? Well not the 2nd overall IMO, but I believe after what he did this year for the Saints, he would warrant a late first round pick.


He is...but not for a team like Miami. Not only are we not that type of a football team, but we have too many needs that can be filled with the emmense talent there is going to be at 12.

I just think it would be silly to draft a situational guy with very good OLB, possibly Dez, NT, and FS prospects available.


Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, StereoMike and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.