View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Phinfever Mock Draft 2.0 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Phinfever Mock Draft 2.0
We have now completed the NFL Combine and are just a few weeks away from the beginning of the NFL Free Agency period to begin. There is still a lot of things that will change for all teams, the Dolphins included, with probably the biggest for the Dolphins being the status of OLT Jake Long.

Here are a couple of recent stories that I ran across on Rotoworld.com.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport hears that free agent LT Jake Long is seeking $11 million per year on his next contract.
The Miami Herald reported late in January that Long was looking for upwards of $10 million annually, so this coincides with that. The Dolphins are reportedly only willing to give him around $6-7 million per year, so his chances of returning are looking slim if what Rapoport is hearing is true. Our own Evan Silva predicts a re-signing with the Dolphins for five years and $37.5 million. The Bears have also been mentioned as a landing spot.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

The Miami Herald mentions free agent LT Sam Baker as an option for the Dolphins.
Baker is injury-prone and struggles in run-blocking, but the Herald suggests him as a short-term answer to replace Jake Long. The Dolphins are hoping to keep second-round pick Jonathan Martin at right tackle.
Related: Dolphins
Source: Miami Herald

With these stories and a report on NFL.Com that the Dolphins will also look to address their tight end needs through free agency, this mock will not include a OLT or TE. But as I have said, things will change, especially when free agency takes off and teams start to acquire talent via free agency.

1) Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia, 5'9, 174 lbs - The Dolphins are looking to surround QB Ryan Tannehill with playmakers. I fully expect Miami to make a HUGE run at Pittsburgh free agent WR Mike Wallace. The Dolphins will come out of free agency with a #1 caliber wide receiver, and they made need to add 2 if they cannot resign WR Brian Hartline. Austin is a dynamic WR that can line in either the slot or out wide, and has also played RB for West Virginia. He ran a 4.34 unofficial time at the combine which officially came back at 4.41. You see his clips and you see that speed translate on the field. 288 career catches for 3,413 yards and 29 TD's, he has also 109 career rushing attempts for 1,031 yards and 6 TD's. He has been compared to Percy Harvin, and he is explosive like Harvin, but does not have the injury history of Harvin and has been very durable. His size has been bought up as a concern, and if there was an injury history there, I would have that concern. But it is not a history of that for Tavon. He has the ability to be a nightmare in the slot, and the deep speed to take the top off a defense, and the versatility to line up at RB on 3rd down if need be.

2) Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State, 5'11, 192 lbs - The Dolphins will let CB Sean Smith walk and after the trade of Vontae Davis to the Indianapolis Colts before the 2012 season started, the Dolphins now have a need for cornerbacks. Taylor fits the mode of the bigger style cornerbacks that the Dolphins like. Taylor has 8 career interceptions and physical run defender, something Smith was not even with his size. Good in off man coverage and zone coverage, with nice backpedal and fluid hips.

2) Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor, 6'2, 208 lbs - Brian Hartline wants money that the Dolphins don't feel comfortable paying Hartline, which is being reported at 6 mill/per year. I don't believe Hartline to be that caliber of WR either, and if he does not resign, the Dolphins will need another WR. Williams is a big WR that can get vertical and has been extremely productive in his time at Baylor. 202 career catches for 3,334 yards and 27 career TD's with an average of 16.5 yards per catch tells you he is a big play wide receiver. Jeff Ireland should be able to get inside info on Williams as he is a Baylor grad.

3) Cornelius Carradine, DE, Florida State, 6'4, 276 lbs - The Dolphins may look to address this in free agency, but if not, they will look to add another pass rusher opposite Cameron Wake. Yes, the Dolphins drafted Vernon Olivier out of Miami last year, and while he showed flashes, he ended up the year with 2.5 sacks, and 2 of the sack total came against St. Louis. Carridine had 5.5 sacks in his junior year out of JUCO backing up starting DE Brandon Jenkins, and when Jenkins got hurt in the 1st game of the 2012 season, Carradine took over and had 11.0 sacks before he tore his ACL in the last regular season game of the year against Florida. I am a big Florida State fan as well as South Carolina fan, so I have seen Tank play a ton. From a physical talent standpoint, I would say he is more talented than Bjoern Werner. Even with Carridine coming off the knee injury, I am seeing him being mocked in the 2nd-3rd round. Pro Day for FSU will be big in regards to were Tank is, but he has the talent to be a force opposite Wake.

3) Bacarri Rambo, FS, Georgia, 6'1, 211 lbs - The Dolphins are working to resign FS Chris Clemons, but there is buzz that the Dolphins want to address the position, possibly even in free agency. One player that the Dolphins would have had interest in was Buffalo FS Jarius Byrd. The Bills slapped the Franchise Tag on him though, so he has been taken out of the equation. Rambo is a big, physical FS with very good ball skills, as his 16 career interceptions will attest, and Georgia has been good to Miami as SS Reshad Jones is a Georgia grad. Rambo is mocked at this point in the draft becasue of off the field issues. He failed drug test twice and was suspended for the first 4 games of the 2012 season for the last failed drug test.

4) Alvin Bailey, OG, Arkansas, 6'3, 312 lbs - The OG position for Miami continues to be a troublesome spot, and Bailey has played both left and right OG positions, so he has versatility. He also has the movement skills to play in the zone blocking scheme the Dolphins employ.

5) Kenyon Barner, RB, Oregon, 5'9, 196 lbs - Miami will likely lose Reggie Bush and will need to look to add a back to have some depth and give them play making ability. Barner is use to the up tempo that the Dolphins want to play and is better than most believe running between the tackles. Very good out of the backfield in pass patterns and has the speed and big play ability the Dolphins need.

6) Brandon McGee, CB, Miami, 5'11, 193 lbs - As stated earlier, the Dolphins have a need for cornerbacks and McGee is a talented kid that has under performed while with Miami. Reminds me of Sam Shields of Green Bay, in regards to having a very ordinary career in college, but blossomed in the NFL. McGee has nice size and nice speed as well. Nice hips and feet.

7) Vince Williams, ILB, Florida State, 6'1, 247 lbs - The Dolphins need to add depth at the ILB, and Williams would be a nice fit. Physical & aggressive, Williams helped himself out with a solid week at the Senior Bowl.

This is the last mock I will probably do for a few weeks, as I want to let free agency play out and see how things develop so I can get a better idea of what Maimi may need. At that point, I will do an entire 1st round mock and Dolphins mock draft as well.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:20 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Phinfever Mock Draft 2.0
Good stuff. Though I am holding off on mine til I see what is done in FA.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:28 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

hypocritex wrote:
Good stuff. Though I am holding off on mine til I see what is done in FA.

Things will definitely be more defined at that time. Just thought I would put something out there for the posters to enjoy.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:36 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Would love to see Brandon McGee in a Dolphins uniform. Another kid with great physical talent that was poorly served by the coaching at UM.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I've heard that Sam Baker is a pretty lousy tackle these days. Would rather have Bushrod or one of the top 7 tackles in the draft. I like alot of those names Tony however i do not think McGee will be available in the 6th.

Quote:
Late in the 2012 season, one NFL personnel man described free agent LT Sam Baker as a "below-average" starter.
The personnel man called Baker a stopgap rather than long-term solution. Baker, 28 in May, ranks relatively low on a strong offensive tackle market, coming in 10th in Rotoworld's 2013 free-agent OT ratings. The Falcons could potentially let Baker test the market and re-sign him affordably if interest isn't great. Feb 21 - 7:31 PM
Source: Chicago Tribune

Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:09 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
I've heard that Sam Baker is a pretty lousy tackle these days. Would rather have Bushrod or one of the top 7 tackles in the draft. I like alot of those names Tony however i do not think McGee will be available in the 6th.

Quote:
Late in the 2012 season, one NFL personnel man described free agent LT Sam Baker as a "below-average" starter.
The personnel man called Baker a stopgap rather than long-term solution. Baker, 28 in May, ranks relatively low on a strong offensive tackle market, coming in 10th in Rotoworld's 2013 free-agent OT ratings. The Falcons could potentially let Baker test the market and re-sign him affordably if interest isn't great. Feb 21 - 7:31 PM
Source: Chicago Tribune

Sam Baker does not do anything for me either swerve. Sounds like the Dolphins are trying to make a solid offer to Jake Long, but if he is determined to get paid, then he will not be in Miami. I would like to take a run at Branden Albert of KC.

I know what you mean on Brandon. Even though he really did not perform well at Miami, he has talent. Sanders Commings of Georgia could be there. As the Pro Days play out, I think these kids will fall into place a little more.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Nice job Tony. I see your betting on that Ireland-Baylor connection with the Terrence Williams pick.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
Nice job Tony. I see your betting on that Ireland-Baylor connection with the Terrence Williams pick.

I think it helps Jam.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:37 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Good job , anytime we can draft a guy named Rambo I like it.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:

....and his first name sounds like a popular brand of rum! Arrrrrrrrrrr!

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:49 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:

If he can do a good Stallone impression of "Brady (squeezing microphone), I'm comin' for you" then its worth every penny.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:36 am
Phinfever FFL Commish
Phinfever FFL Commish

I watch SEC ball, hadn't seen Tavon Austin play until I watched his clips today on U-tube. Blazing speed on the field. I'd love to see Miami get a playmaker like him to develop with RT.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:13 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

TennFinFan13 wrote:
I watch SEC ball, hadn't seen Tavon Austin play until I watched his clips today on U-tube. Blazing speed on the field. I'd love to see Miami get a playmaker like him to develop with RT.

Me and you both being here in South Carolina and the Gamecocks being my alma mater. I love college football in general though, so I got a chance to see Tavon a few times along with Terrance Williams and Kenyon Barner.

Saw plenty of Bacarri Rambo also.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:24 pm

We're in agreement with the 12th pick, Tony. I'm not thrilled, but I also think they'll go with Austin at 12.

You think Carradine gets all the way to round 3??

Also, with no TE in your mock, are you saying it gets done in Free Agency?

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:52 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:
We're in agreement with the 12th pick, Tony. I'm not thrilled, but I also think they'll go with Austin at 12.

You think Carradine gets all the way to round 3??

Also, with no TE in your mock, are you saying it gets done in Free Agency?

I said in the early portion of the blog that I thought Miami would address OL and TE in free agency. I saw a report on NFL.Com that said Miami would look at TE in free agency. You have Jared Cook, Martellus Bennett, Dustin Keller, Fred Davis along with the TE from the Raiders that escapes my memory right now that are available.

I'm seeing Tank mocked in the 2nd round in some mocks, the CBSSportsline site has him going in the 2nd round.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:12 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I could see a team like the Giants reaching for Carradine EARLY.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

the thing Carradine has going for him is that the pass rushers all crapped the bed at the combine so after Jordan, Ansah and Werner are gone there isnt much pass rush left. He could rise.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:17 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Yahoo! Sports' Doug Farrar believes FSU DE Tank Carradine "has the potential to be an unholy terror in the NFL" if he remains healthy.
"I'm pretty sure he would have been my #1 pass-rusher in this draft class had he stayed healthy and played at this level all the way through," writes Farrar. He goes on to say that if Carradine shows full health prior to April's draft, the Seminole pass rusher could be taken in the first half of the first-round. We agree.

was just sayin this same thing yesterday

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:46 pm

Carradine is good but not that good. He was never, at any point, the best pass rusher in this class, or even on his team. When Jenkins was healthy I thought he was a bigger force on the edge, and after he went down Werner stepped in and out-played Carradine as well.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:29 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:
Carradine is good but not that good. He was never, at any point, the best pass rusher in this class, or even on his team. When Jenkins was healthy I thought he was a bigger force on the edge, and after he went down Werner stepped in and out-played Carradine as well.

He may not have been the best pass rusher on FSU's squad, but I consider his upside higher than both Werner and Jenkins. His motor runs hot all the time.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Beat writer Ben Volin expects the Dolphins to show interest in free agent Jared Cook.
The Dolphins are hungry for playmakers and have money to burn. After using broken-down pickup truck Anthony Fasano as his pass-catching tight end last season, Cook would feel like a Maserati to Ryan Tannehill. Lump the Dolphins in with the Titans, Bears, Rams and Seahawks as teams the red-hot Cook could be hearing from next week.

Here's your boy Tony.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:37 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Imagine an offense with Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline, Davone Bess, Tavon Austin, and Jared Cook... holy crap would that be a much different and much better team.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:47 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

IamPZ wrote:
Imagine an offense with Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline, Davone Bess, Tavon Austin, and Jared Cook... holy crap would that be a much different and much better team.

I'm liking that news swerve, and you know this....... :grin:

Hell Yeah PZ, I think Ryan would be smiling his butt off if he had those weapons to work with.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]