View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Dolphins draft targets? 
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post Dolphins draft targets?
Hello all.

Brand new to these boards - I found this site through the Hail Redskins Mock Draft Database. I am 52 years old, and a lifelong Browns fan. (Please don't hold that against me! LOL!) But the entire NFL game certainly lights me up, and I like to visit many fan sites and get varying opinions.

Who would you folks say are your prime draft targets? I'd appreciate some feedback.

To be fair, the buzz in Northeast Ohio is that Eric Berry will not get selected by KC at 5, and that he will be there for the Browns at 7. If not, I'd say that Earl Thomas of Texas is a valid option. Of course, many mock drafts have your own Joe Haden as a popular choice. You guys saw him on a weekly basis, so your opinions would count more to me than those of the national talking tools.

Anyway, good to be here, and if anyone has any AFC North questions - hit me up and I'll do my best to answer them.

Brooks

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:08 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Dolphins draft targets?
Welcome, I am not from the Florida area, Actually Indiana. But since the McNabb trade, It would not surprise me If you guys go after Clausen at 7, I know I know, not ANOTHER Notre Dame QB, but could be a good grab for you guys as well as Dan Williams now that Rodgers is a moron and most likely will not play this year due to the felony. I am personally not that Impressed with Haden, I do not thing he will go before 13, but that is just me.

As for the Dolphins
our prime choices seem to be
Dan Williams (even though he has yet to come for a visit)
Dez Bryant
Earl Thomas,
Sergio Kindle
and Derrick Morgan

Where we truely decide to go is a crap shoot knowing the mind games our front office likes to play. Hope this helps

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:23 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Thanks for the welcome, Iceberg.

I hear ya about Clausen and ANOTHER high draft pick QB from Notre Dame. Granted he had a great pro day this week, but call me crazy, I think that the Browns are leaning towards Colt McCoy in Round 2. I think the Browns would have to have been blown away to consider selecting him. Especially with the defensive situation that exists. Kind of like you folks after the recent 1-15 season. Granted bringing in Sheldon Brown helps, but he's 31, not what he once was, and certainly not the long term answer. After Shaun Rogers broke his leg in week 10, our run defense improved by inserting second year NT Atyha Rubin out of Iowa State. Rogers is certainly a disruptive force, but has been noted to play a bit undisciplined, and overrun his tackling lanes. And now you have his gun situation............. What a mental midget. To summarize our DL, the only players under the age of 30 on that unit are Athya Rubin and DE Brian Shafeuring. That area of the team needs to be a high priority.

If we don't get Berry at 7, I'd like Earl Thomas.

QB's that seem to be under consideration

Clausen (I think that's an old fashioned smokescreen)
McCoy
Tony Pike - Cincinnati
Dan LaFevour - Central Michigan
John Skelton - Fordham

We all will know for sure in two weeks.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:49 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I cannot see Parcells drafting a NT in the first round. That said, to me, it will come down to either Dez Bryant, or the best OLB available.

It's easy to nit-pick this year's class of OLB's, however, if it comes down to one, I would say it would be Graham, even with the lack of height.

Brook, I have Rolando McClain going to KC at 5, with Eric Berry going 6 and Thomas to your Browns at 7. Would Cleveland reach for Thomas at that spot, or do you see Holgrem taking what he said back and selecting Clausen?

BTW, Joe Haden is not an option for Miami...I'd be shocked if he was the selection...even more so than I was back in 2007;p.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:37 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

brooks1957 wrote:

I hear ya about Clausen and ANOTHER high draft pick QB from Notre Dame. Granted he had a great pro day this week, but call me crazy, I think that the Browns are leaning towards Colt McCoy in Round 2. I think the Browns would have to have been blown away to consider selecting him. Especially with the defensive situation that exists. Kind of like you folks after the recent 1-15 season. Granted bringing in Sheldon Brown helps, but he's 31, not what he once was, and certainly not the long term answer. After Shaun Rogers broke his leg in week 10, our run defense improved by inserting second year NT Atyha Rubin out of Iowa State. Rogers is certainly a disruptive force, but has been noted to play a bit undisciplined, and overrun his tackling lanes. And now you have his gun situation............. What a mental midget. To summarize our DL, the only players under the age of 30 on that unit are Athya Rubin and DE Brian Shafeuring. That area of the team needs to be a high priority.

McCoy
Tony Pike - Cincinnati
John Skelton - Fordham

Hey man, welcome!

For me, I would be happy if you guys take Earl Thomas. That would mean Berry would have a better chance of dropping to us =)

As for our draft Targets in round 1. I don't think any of us know for sure. A good educated guess is all we can give you. Here are mine:

Brandon Graham
Derrick Morgan (If he's there)
Earl Thomas
Dez Bryant
I also think CJ Spiller is a possibility. And if Berry is available I think you have to take him.

Though, I would not be surprised to see us trade back and pick up more picks. Especially considering Earl Thomas and Dez Bryant might be available 8 or so spots back.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:22 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Re: Dolphins draft targets?
Wow if the Browns did take Thomas and that let Berry fall to use that does make it more of a harder chose for use I mean do we take Berry,or Dez if he is still there or a LB.....after last year when we passed on 2 good olb (both from usc) maybe this is the year we take 1 with the 12 pick?

Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:44 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

brooks1957 wrote:

McCoy
Tony Pike - Cincinnati
John Skelton - Fordham

I see the Browns passing on Clausen as well. I think Clausen falls in round one just like Quinn did. I think Clausen goes to Buttfloa, SanFran or Seattle. I see them taking McCoy in round 2 as well. I see you guys going defensive line. There is a possibility you guys wait till later in the draft to take a project qb as well since you have Delhomme on the roster who may be able to resurrect his career in Cleveland.

I see us going Safety or Wide Receiver with our first pick. I see NT and OLB being 2nd round or later.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:46 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Unfortunately, from Miami's perspective, I don't see Eric Berry falling below Cleveland. if he is there at 7, the Browns would seem to be ecstatic to grab him. If not, I get the feeling their next choice would be Earl Thomas of Texas. He comes with the reputation of being a sure tackler - something that was sorely lacking in the Browns defense last year.

Brandon Graham was a stud on a crappy team last year. I look for him to do well at the NFL level.
CJ Spiller, used at about a 50% pace and not a total workhorse, will be dynamite in the NFL. I would be concerned about him wearing down.

What do you think of Jimmy Graham, TE out of Miami? Word up around here is he will be a fabulous NFL TE.

I am intrigued by the progress of Jacory Harris at Miami. Still a year or two away, but he shows the skills of a big time QB.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:59 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

A lot of people around here love Jimmy Graham... as a Gators fan I didn't really pay much attention to him, I was more focused on Spikes, Dunlap, Haden and Tebow lol... but a lot of the guys around here will be sure to fill you in on how "great" he is.

Personally I think our pick will fall between Bryant, Spiller and Kindle. While I'm not crazy about Kindle, he just seems to fit that mold that these guys look for and my gut tells me he's the one on their radar. Out of the 3 I'd probably prefer Spiller. I'd love to grab Brandon Graham as Phins Rock mentioned, but I don't see that happening unfortunately.

I agree with you in that if Eric Berry falls to the Browns they HAVE TO take him. He's the best safety to come out of school in a long time... this kid will be great.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]