View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Dolphins resign Brian Hartline 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Dolphins resign Brian Hartline
Rich wrote:
Omar Kelly didn't report that, though. So it must be made up.

Damnit. I better delete that then. LOL

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:30 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
OK Rocco, I'll take that as you can't find any reliable source that says another team was prepared to aggressively target Hartline. Funny, we hear several reports where other FAs are being targeted by other teams. I guess Hartline didn't garner that much attention.

By chance do you read tabloids as well? What's going on with the Kardashians these days?

Give me a break man. At one point last offseason Peyton Manning was going to be the next Dolphins QB.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:31 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Quote:
Hartline bypassed free agency Friday, signing a five-year, $30.7 million contract ($12.5 million guaranteed) to remain with the Dolphins. Hartline said free agency would have been more "lucrative" but he said taking less money is an indication of his excitement about the team's future.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-0 ... -jake-long

Omar Kelly didn't report that, though. So it must be made up.

OMG, please tell me your not quoting Hartline about his worth. Well that's certainly an objective opinion.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:32 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

shularino wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
shularino wrote:

For giggles, go ahead and find relevant sources saying other teams were seriously considering paying Hartline $6+mil/yr, $12.5mil guaranteed.

The logic behind your statement is absolutely befuddling.

So because it's not reported in media outlets, other teams weren't considering him at that rate? Image

OK Rocco, I'll take that as you can't find any reliable source that says another team was prepared to aggressively target Hartline. Funny, we hear several reports where other FAs are being targeted by other teams. I guess Hartline didn't garner that much attention.

Why would there be reports of teams heavily interested in Hartline if he resigned before the tampering period took place?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:35 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
OMG, please tell me your not quoting Hartline about his worth. Well that's certainly an objective opinion.

He would know. After all he is the player, Omar Kelly is not the person who's agent would've talked to other teams.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:36 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Quote:
Hartline bypassed free agency Friday, signing a five-year, $30.7 million contract ($12.5 million guaranteed) to remain with the Dolphins. Hartline said free agency would have been more "lucrative" but he said taking less money is an indication of his excitement about the team's future.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-0 ... -jake-long

Just curious, what do you think his agent points to for a high price tag? Game changer? No. Able to go up against top DB & win far more than he loses? No. Chain mover? Yes. I don't see one ounce of why a team would covet him higher than Miami.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:36 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
shularino wrote:

By chance do you read tabloids as well? What's going on with the Kardashians these days?

Give me a break man. At one point last offseason Peyton Manning was going to be the next Dolphins QB.

If you can't find anything, then just say it. I tend to do some research before basing my opinion. Try it sometime.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:38 am

shularino wrote:
I tend to do some research before basing my opinion. Try it sometime.

Yes, like looking at player salaries in 2006.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:39 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

Why would there be reports of teams heavily interested in Hartline if he resigned before the tampering period took place?

Didn't we see reports that KC was very interested in Sean Smith before the tampering period took place?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:40 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Just curious, what do you think his agent points to for a high price tag? Game changer? No. Able to go up against top DB & win far more than he loses? No. Chain mover? Yes. I don't see one ounce of why a team would covet him higher than Miami.

He had 3-4 games this year which his skill sets were firmly on display .... and that's a lot considering the anemic 2012 offense we trotted out there. He's deceptively quick and a good route runner ... not to mention a tough SOB. When you say high price tag, you say it in the breath of being paid among the game's elite and I don't think anyone here is arguing that he would've gotten that kind of cheese.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:40 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
I said for the money there were cheaper comparable Wr out there. Heck even an NFL article ranked them 5/6. Can't get any closer. ..

Cant get any closer? The article also provided a clear line of demarcation between the two players and I think that was clear in the presentation.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:41 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
If you can't find anything, then just say it. I tend to do some research before basing my opinion. Try it sometime.

Hey what jersey is Peyton Manning wearing?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:41 am

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

Didn't we see reports that KC was very interested in Sean Smith before the tampering period took place?

Yes, from Vontae Davis.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:42 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Didn't we see TABLOIDS that KC was very interested in Sean Smith before the tampering period took place?

Fixed.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:42 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

I don't know Rich, why are there reports the Dolphins are going after Wallace, the Lions are looking at Bush, the Falcons are the front runners for Steven Jackson.................

Anyway, your the one that said........

"I can quote local beat writers making the same argument I am."

I guess this is just another statement you posted before really thinking about it.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:48 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

Yes, from Vontae Davis.
That's right. It did come from Vonte.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:48 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
2013 NFL free agents: Brian Hartline tops second-tier receiver options

By JP Starkey on Mar 6 2013, 8:30a  @jpstarkey

If contract talks fall apart between the two parties, then Hartline will test the open market when free agency opens on March 12. Hartline could draw plenty of interest around the league, as there are quite a few teams in the market for wide receivers.

Hartline could draw interest from the New England Patriots, who are looking to beef up their wide receiver corps. The Patriots are reportedly likely to move on from Brandon Lloyd, and need to upgrade at wide out.

The Bengals could also have interest in Hartline. Cincinnati has the most amount of cap space available of any team in free agency this season, and could excel opposite A.J. Green.

Entering his age 27 season in 2013, Hartline is set to enter his prime, and should continue to develop as a very good wide receiver -- no matter where he ends up.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/3/6/40 ... e-dolphins

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:49 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Didn't we see TABLOIDS that KC was very interested in Sean Smith before the tampering period took place?

Fixed.

I was just asking a question.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:49 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Brian Hartline, WR, MIA
Brian Hartline
Lions could sign Hartline
News: The Lions official team website reports that the team could be interested in signing free agent receiver Brian Hartline. The report says Hartline, who had 74 catches for 1,083 yards and one touchdown last year, "could excel with Matthew Stafford throwing him the ball and (Calvin) Johnson getting the bulk of the coverage shifted to his side."

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantas ... tes/563622

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:50 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AQNOR wrote:

Cant get any closer? The article also provided a clear line of demarcation between the two players and I think that was clear in the presentation.

Well even though the article ranks them close, it was laughable with the comment on Hartline record breaking play. Obviously the writer overvalues Hartline's one game. Don't see one game against a really bad team puffing one up. Hartline disappeared often. If I eliminated the names & just put the comments out there. Hartline fits just as good with the comment on Gibson

After reading this I'm probably going to be wrong on Gibson being cheaper.

Quote:
Gibson won’t return to the Rams, who are only offering him money commensurate to a No. 3 or No. 4 wideout, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports. That suggests that some team has already told Gibson’s agent that he can get paid like a starter in free agency. Gibson started 13 games and caught 51 passes for 691 yards and five touchdowns in St. Louis in 2012.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:50 am

shularino wrote:
I don't know Rich, why are there reports the Dolphins are going after Wallace, the Lions are looking at Bush, the Falcons are the front runners for Steven Jackson.................

I understand that the English language can be complicated at times. For example, people confuse the words 'angry' and 'upset' all the time.

Such is the case between 'speculation' and 'reporting'.

There was a lot of speculation that the Dolphins would go after Wallace. After all, this is connecting the dots.

I'm glad Rock Secton brought up the Manning to Miami speculation last offseason.

How did that work out?

I guess you didn't give it much thought before posting.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:52 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:

Brian Hartline, WR, MIA
Brian Hartline
News: The Lions official team website reports that the team could be interested in signing free agent receiver Brian Hartline. The report says Hartline, who had 74 catches for 1,083 yards and one touchdown last year, "could excel with Matthew Stafford throwing him the ball and (Calvin) Johnson getting the bulk of the coverage shifted to his side."

I don't see Omar Kelly's name anywhere in that. Can't be legit.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:52 am

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:

Brian Hartline, WR, MIA
Brian Hartline

I'm sure shularino will proceed to question the reputation and validity of these sources. Afterall, he did conveniently caveat his post with the word "reliable".

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:53 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:

Not sure what your point is...........the Dolphins like a lot of other teams were very interested in Manning...........he decided to go somewhere else.

Outside of Hartline, Rosenhaus or Hartline's mother, can you find anything relevant where any other teams were aggressively targeting Hartline?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:54 am

shularino wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Not sure what your point is...........the Dolphins like a lot of other teams were very interested in Manning...........he decided to go somewhere else.

Really, you missed the obvious point about all the "reports" of the Dolphins being the front runners for Manning last offseason?

Quote:
Outside of Hartline, Rosenhaus or Hartline's mother, can you find anything relevant where any other teams were aggressively targeting Hartline?

I guess you chose to ignore AQNOR's posts.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:00 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Listen Big Boy, I don't doubt Hartline would have found a home, if released by the Dolphins. His value is around $4mil/yr, $8mil guaranteed. I would have been fine if we signed him to that. That's not the question.......the question is was anyone else seriously considering signing him to $6+mil/yr. Do what you said you were going to do and find some reliable reports saying his value would be worth that to another team.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:14 pm

shularino wrote:
His value is around $4mil/yr, $8mil guaranteed.

Yes, this is your opinion, which you have stated over and over. I'm not sure why it needs to be repeated.

Quote:
Do what you said you were going to do and find some reliable reports saying his value would be worth that to another team.

The only place I said I would do this is in your imagination. But AQNOR already did it, why do you continue ignoring the sources he posted?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:26 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The only place I said I would do this is in your imagination. But AQNOR already did it, why do you continue ignoring the sources he posted?

Nah.......I don't have to use my imagination..........I can just go to page 2 of this thread, where you say........"I can quote local beat writers making the same argument I am."

Unless want to change your mind again, I believe your argument is Hartline's market value is $6+mil/year, so according to you, there should be no problem finding reliable sources to back you up.

AQNOR posts simply say there maybe some teams interested in him.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

then you're gonna hate this Rock. LOL

Quote:
The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins contacted free agent WR Brandon Gibson on Saturday, and talks are said to be "serious."
The real juice to the story is that "some believe that Gibson could earn a contract comparable to the one given to Brian Hartline" last week -- five years and $31 million with $12.5 million guaranteed. While it's unclear how talks with Gibson would affect a Mike Wallace pursuit, we'd guess that he would likely be a fallback option. Miami is also said to be interested in free agent Wes Welker.

what timing.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Hopefully it didn't hit Brandon Gibson's lap ........... Hahaha, sorry you left that for me, I had to take it.

I'm sure you take it often & a lot.

ha! Gotta love Phinfever

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

yes we did. Same goes for Mike Wallace drawing team interest for months.
I can tell you for a fact that there was not much buzz around the league about Hartline. Only one blurb that Detroit might be interested. And he'd be a huge upgrade to any of their receivers outside of Calvin. They needed an emergency fix because Titus went haywire on them.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:09 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

swerve13 wrote:

Quote:
The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins contacted free agent WR Brandon Gibson on Saturday, and talks are said to be "serious."
The real juice to the story is that "some believe that Gibson could earn a contract comparable to the one given to Brian Hartline" last week -- five years and $31 million with $12.5 million guaranteed. While it's unclear how talks with Gibson would affect a Mike Wallace pursuit, we'd guess that he would likely be a fallback option. Miami is also said to be interested in free agent Wes Welker.

what timing.

That would be the stupidest move of the Off Season.

Gibson is nothing.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

He had 3-4 games this year which his skill sets were firmly on display .... and that's a lot considering the anemic 2012 offense we trotted out there. He's deceptively quick and a good route runner ... not to mention a tough SOB. When you say high price tag, you say it in the breath of being paid among the game's elite and I don't think anyone here is arguing that he would've gotten that kind of cheese.

you can blame the offense for Hartline's flaws but I can't blame the offense for Jonathan Martin's flaws?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:
2013 NFL free agents: Brian Hartline tops second-tier receiver options

By JP Starkey on Mar 6 2013, 8:30a  @jpstarkey

If contract talks fall apart between the two parties, then Hartline will test the open market when free agency opens on March 12. Hartline could draw plenty of interest around the league, as there are quite a few teams in the market for wide receivers.

Hartline could draw interest from the New England Patriots, who are looking to beef up their wide receiver corps. The Patriots are reportedly likely to move on from Brandon Lloyd, and need to upgrade at wide out.

The Bengals could also have interest in Hartline. Cincinnati has the most amount of cap space available of any team in free agency this season, and could excel opposite A.J. Green.

Entering his age 27 season in 2013, Hartline is set to enter his prime, and should continue to develop as a very good wide receiver -- no matter where he ends up.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/3/6/40 ... e-dolphins

SB Nation is just a fan opinion site just like Bleacher Report

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Quote:

what timing.

Gibson is nothing.

We'd have 2 Hartlines. LOL

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:21 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:

Gibson is nothing.

The stupidest move of the off season just happened. Gibson is nothing. 5 drops in 75 catchable passes? 5 TDs & is expected to sign a deal close to what Hartline got. If Gibson is nothing, where are you placing Hartline?

The more that is reported for these two, the more comparable they get.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
you can blame the offense for Hartline's flaws but I can't blame the offense for Jonathan Martin's flaws?

The offense isn't responsible for Martin getting bullied. It's called strength, Martin apparently has none of it to hold up against NFL caliber DE's.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:38 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
by Ben Volin

2. Brian Hartline took a discount to stay in Miami?

A few fans and media, most notably one writer at NFL.com, stated that the Dolphins overpaid Hartline when they signed him last week to a five-year deal worth $30.775 million ($12.5 million guaranteed). Hartline only has six touchdowns in four NFL seasons – including just one last year – and some don’t believe he’s worth the $6.15 million average salary he will make over the life of his deal.

But his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said Sunday night in his weekly appearance on WSVN Channel 7 that Hartline took slightly less money with Miami than he would’ve commanded on the open market (and confirmed once again that tampering is rampant at the NFL Combine).

“I do think that if we went into the market, Brian probably would’ve gotten a better contract,” Rosenhaus said. “I was pretty thorough in talking to all the teams, and Brian made the decision that he wanted to stay in Miami. We had a number in mind, we got to it, we were happy with it and he was very pleased to stay a Dolphin.”

Indeed, Hartline’s contract was just under the ones signed last year by Jacksonville’s Laurent Robinson ($6.5 million average, $13.6 million guaranteed) and San Diego’s Robert Meachem ($6.375 million average, $14 million guaranteed). Given that context, Hartline’s contract seems pretty reasonable.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... e-wallace/

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Hartline's cap number is just 2 million for 2013.

https://twitter.com/corryjoel/status/311181935168856064

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:34 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
Hartline's cap number is just 2 million for 2013.

https://twitter.com/corryjoel/status/311181935168856064

The deal is better than I projected. Less signing bonus means this is essentially a three year deal. Hartline will make less than $6 million a year on average the first three years.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next