View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Dolphins going after Mendenhall 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Dolphins going after Mendenhall
Kev1321 wrote:
Whats he have 50 sacks the last 4 years

He's got 35 sacks the past four years, but 20.5 of those sacks were in the first two years of the past four years, and 15 sacks in the past two years, with 6 last year. He seems to be on the decline.

Additionally, he's a 6'0 242 OLB, I don't see how he fits in a 43 as a defensive end.

Maybe at OLB but then he'd have to cover and tackle more than rush the passer, so I don't see the value for the Dolphins.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:10 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

He's got 35 sacks the past four years, but 20.5 of those sacks were in the first two years of the past four years, and 15 sacks in the past two years, with 6 last year. He seems to be on the decline.

Additionally, he's a 6'0 242 OLB, I don't see how he fits in a 43 as a defensive end.

Maybe at OLB but then he'd have to cover and tackle more than rush the passer, so I don't see the value for the Dolphins.

He does some coverage in zone blitz..It's may not be what he is known for but he can do it.

70 tackles and 6 sacks last year..13 games.He can still play and is not going to break the bank

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:20 am

Kev1321 wrote:
He does some coverage in zone blitz..It's may not be what he is known for but he can do it.

70 tackles and 6 sacks last year..13 games.He can still play and is not going to break the bank

I'm not saying he can't play, but I don't see what value he would bring into a four man front at his size and with having played in a 3-4 his entire career, unless he is OK with being a situational pass rusher rather than a full-time starter. I doubt he would be OK with that and he'd get eaten up in the run game at defensive end in a 4-3.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:47 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Rich wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

I'm not saying he can't play, but I don't see what value he would bring into a four man front at his size and with having played in a 3-4 his entire career, unless he is OK with being a situational pass rusher rather than a full-time starter. I doubt he would be OK with that and he'd get eaten up in the run game at defensive end in a 4-3.

He apparently turned down 4.5 mill a season from the Steelers.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:35 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
Rich wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

He apparently turned down 4.5 mill a season from the Steelers.

Ya but that was a restructure.....:He still got 2 million for being cut...

He will not be making around that from another team...He also said he would like to stay in 3-4.........Harrison makes our team alot better with his leadership..Something you can't underestimate.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:09 pm

Harrison takes away playing time from our younger guys... that's about it.

How does he make this team a lot better? He's a situational rusher on the decline.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:31 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Kev1321 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
Screw Mendenhall...Go get James Harrison

NOW

why? he's washed up

Washed up?

I gotta hear this.

what did he have this year?
and he's 35

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:

what did he have this year?

and he's 35

Well, last year he had a very good year.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:44 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

He is NOT a 4-3 player KEV. He has NO PLACE in our Defense. He is 35.. and you want him to switch positions? He's TOO undersized to play DE. And his specialty.. blitzing. Wouldn't be NEAR as effective in an OLB role on a 4-3.

Kev1321 wrote:
hypocritex wrote:
Kev.. We don't run a 3-4. No thanks.

Pretty sure he can manage. The guy brings fear to every qb. He brings all the other players on the defense to a new level.

He won't scare ANYONE on a 4-3 defense. And yeah.. he'd bring our D to another level alright. Another level LOWER. You cannot just take a guy from one scheme .. at his age.. And put him in another and expect him to learn a new position.. and produce right away. It won't happen.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:54 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

hypocritex wrote:
He is NOT a 4-3 player KEV. He has NO PLACE in our Defense. He is 35.. and you want him to switch positions? He's TOO undersized to play DE. And his specialty.. blitzing. Wouldn't be NEAR as effective in an OLB role on a 4-3.

Kev1321 wrote:
hypocritex wrote:
Kev.. We don't run a 3-4. No thanks.

Pretty sure he can manage. The guy brings fear to every qb. He brings all the other players on the defense to a new level.

He won't scare ANYONE on a 4-3 defense. And yeah.. he'd bring our D to another level alright. Another level LOWER. You cannot just take a guy from one scheme .. at his age.. And put him in another and expect him to learn a new position.. and produce right away. It won't happen.

Ya they said that about JT

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:59 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

:hithead:

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:10 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Alot of guys flourish under LeBeau.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Mendenhall is a good pass blocker and would probably be able to manage 4.5 ypc so long as we continue to build up the o-line. If he gets hurt, we'll always have Thomas waiting in the wings for another shot. But if he's going to cost too much over the vet minimum I wouldn't be interested. Personally, I'd rather see us use a 3rd or 4th on a good prospect.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
Alot of guys flourish under LeBeau.

And the Steelers never let good players go.......But yet Wallace is the best wr. FA available

The Steelers are not so perfect...And the team is in cap prison right now.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:16 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Harrison follows a history of past great Pittsburgh linebackers that were let go to find other teams when they were further in their careers, Kevin Greene; Greg Lloyd; Jason Gildon to name a few and now Harrison. They have had the fortunate ability to plug in young replacements that fit their scheme & can afford to make these kind of changes.

I would not be surprised if Baltimore brings Harrison back to their team. However, Miami is said to play a hybrid 4-3 3-4 defense, so I suppose you never know if a guy like Harrison can bring some aggressive energy to the defense, but I am doubting this will happen.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:25 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finhead34 wrote:
Harrison follows a history of past great Pittsburgh linebackers that were let go to find other teams when they were further in their careers, Kevin Greene; Greg Lloyd; Jason Gildon to name a few and now Harrison. They have had the fortunate ability to plug in young replacements that fit their scheme & can afford to make these kind of changes.

I would not be surprised if Baltimore brings Harrison back to their team. However, Miami is said to play a hybrid 4-3 3-4 defense, so I suppose you never know if a guy like Harrison can bring some aggressive energy to the defense, but I am doubting this will happen.

Kevin Greene went on to have a great career post Pitt..Lloyd Had a infection and never played again..Porter had a couple very good years post Pitt....And last but not least Mike Vrable...How did that one work out....Thats a history of letting good player walk.

Harrison still has a couple years in the tank.

In todays passing NFL he would play plenty in Miami

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:48 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Kev1321 wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

Kevin Greene went on to have a great career post Pitt..Lloyd Had a infection and never played again..Porter had a couple very good years post Pitt....And last but not least Mike Vrable...How did that one work out....Thats a history of letting good player walk.

Harrison still has a couple years in the tank.

In todays passing NFL he would play plenty in Miami

Are you nuts? Peezy SUCKED his first year with the Dolphins, while Harrison picked up where Peezy left off. Oh, sure Peezy bounced back, but Harrison proved to be his cheaper, younger, more vicious alternative. The Steelers may have let Peezy walk, but they had his replacement in the wings. And let's not forget Kimo von Oelhoffen transitioning to Brett Keisel, Chris Hope to Ryan Clark, Santonio Holmes to Emmanuel Sanders/Antonio Brown (ESPECIALLY that one), etc.

And frankly, I couldn't trust Mendenhall as far as I can toss him. He's a fumbling machine. In Pittsburgh, to "Mendenhall" is to vomit in your mouth.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:30 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kev, you are obviously pro -Harrison. I actually have no problem as a fan seeing his energy come to Miami and help their defense, IF, the scheme fit him.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:43 am

DevilInPgh wrote:
Are you nuts?

Are you illiterate? His point was that not every player that leaves Pittsburgh goes on to suck somewhere else. None of what you replied is relevant to the discussion.

Also, Mendenhall has 9 fumbles in 5 seasons or 9 fumbles in 57 games, that's a very low number... so what are you talking about when a guy like Frank Gore has 26 fumbles in 8 seasons and Adrian Peterson has 24 fumbles in 6 seasons.

And if you want to look at it as fumbles per carry:

Mendenhall:

1 fumble for every 96 carries

Gore:

1 fumble for every 73 carries

Peterson:

Watcha smokin dude?

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:07 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
DevilInPgh wrote:
Are you nuts?

Are you illiterate? His point was that not every player that leaves Pittsburgh goes on to suck somewhere else. None of what you replied is relevant to the discussion.

Also, Mendenhall has 9 fumbles in 5 seasons or 9 fumbles in 57 games, that's a very low number... so what are you talking about when a guy like Frank Gore has 26 fumbles in 8 seasons and Adrian Peterson has 24 fumbles in 6 seasons.

And if you want to look at it as fumbles per carry:

Mendenhall:

1 fumble for every 96 carries

Gore:

Peterson:

Watcha smokin dude?

Maybe I'm just biased by seeing Mendenhall always fumble at the most inopportune times, such as the Super Bowl. Also, I still don't like his attitude. He's worse than Brandon Marshall without the talent to make up for it. There's a reason why he isn't looking to sign with the Jets, Giants, or Redskins, mostly because they won't want him anyways, even as a backup.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:42 am

DevilInPgh wrote:
He's worse than Brandon Marshall without the talent to make up for it.

So he is worse than a guy who gets arrested for violence on a regular basis, despite not being arrested for violence.

You're still not making a lot of sense.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:47 am

Rich wrote:
DevilInPgh wrote:

So he is worse than a guy who gets arrested for violence on a regular basis, despite not being arrested for violence.

exactly, I don't remember anything about Mendenhall and spousal abuse.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:01 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
Rich wrote:
DevilInPgh wrote:

Or rape!...OH wait that was someones favorite qb.

SO sorry.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If Mendenhall checks out medically, he's a good fit in my opinion. We need a strong power back to complement Miller and I'm not sold that Thomas is that guy. Either we draft a kid in the 3rd or 4th round, or we look at someone like Mendenhall. He likely can be had for somewhere close to what Bush was making last year. While financially that's a bit of stretch, its reasonable if we can structure the deal properly to protect the team if he gets hurt again. If that's the case, he's only 25 and he has a proven track record of being safe with the football and has also show a good ability to pass protect, something we badly need in the backfield.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:29 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
DevilInPgh wrote:

Right, because he got arrested for that "incident" last year that forced the Dolphins to trade him for less than what he's worth...

Oh wait, HE DIDN'T! That means either the police didn't believe the accuser's story or, gasp, BELIEVED HIS!!!!

In case you're wondering, I'd take a reformed wife-beater accused of something that basically amounts to "he said, she said" over someone who would betray my country any day of the week. At least one can be controlled.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:56 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

swerve13 wrote:
Rich wrote:
DevilInPgh wrote:

It's what George Bluth Sr. would call "light treason".
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6471433

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:58 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

DevilInPgh wrote:

It's what George Bluth Sr. would call "light treason".
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6471433

One of my favorite shows 'Arrested Development".
"there's always money in the banana stand"

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2