View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
 Miami interested in Brandon Gibson 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Miami interested in Brandon Gibson
This is just to funny, considering the Hartline thread.

Quote:
Dolphins | Very interested in Brandon Gibson
Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:11:36 -0700

The Miami Dolphins contacted the representatives for free-agent WR Brandon Gibson (Rams) to express their interest in him and the talks between the two sides are said to be serious. It is not known if their interest in Gibson would affect their pursuit of free-agent WR Mike Wallace (Steelers).

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2N9ufCGJA

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:25 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Miami interested in Brandon Gibson
It is probably:

a) a fallback option if Wallace doesn't come to Miami

b) a negotiating move to get Wallace to sign quickly

If we sign Gibson, he would certainly be an upgrade over what we've had as the 3rd wide receiver in the past, but the Dolphins would still need to draft a receiver in the first 3 rounds.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

That's the Jeff Ireland I know .... LOL

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:32 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Gotta be a smoke screen, right? I can understand going for a little quantity over quality if we can't get Wallace but I would imagine it easy to find a WR in the draft who can make similar contributions for much cheaper.

They're also said to be interested in Welker . . so I wonder if these talks are as "serious" as reported

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:03 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Quantity over quality.....as usghe.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
This is just to funny, considering the Hartline thread.

Quote:
Dolphins | Very interested in Brandon Gibson
Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:11:36 -0700

The Miami Dolphins contacted the representatives for free-agent WR Brandon Gibson (Rams) to express their interest in him and the talks between the two sides are said to be serious. It is not known if their interest in Gibson would affect their pursuit of free-agent WR Mike Wallace (Steelers).

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2N9ufCGJA

absolutely hilarious!

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Over the weekend, the Dolphins also had contact with representatives of Rams receiver Brandon Gibson, one of the up-and-coming players at his position, The Miami Herald has learned.

The talks are said to be serious. It is unclear how -- if at all -- a contract offer would affect the Dolphins’ pursuit of Mike Wallace, who is expected to command a multiyear contract paying $12 million a year when free agency opens Tuesday.

Gibson wouldn’t come cheap either. The former sixth-round pick out of Washington State set career highs in receiving yards (691) and touchdowns (5) on 51 catches last year.

While he isn’t a burner like Wallace, Gibson has a knack for getting open, and had just five drops in 75 passes thrown his way last year. Some believe that Gibson could earn a contract comparable to the one given to Brian Hartline last week (five years, $31 million).

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/10/3 ... rylink=cpy

Last edited by swerve13 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:52 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Brandon Gibson is a nice player, but I am not giving him Brian Hartline money. Hell, I was not on board with giving Hartline 6 mill/per year, but I can live with it.

This should not have any effect on getting Mike Wallace at all. Wallace is still the main target.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
Brandon Gibson is a nice player, but I am not giving him Brian Hartline money. Hell, I was not on board with giving Hartline 6 mill/per year, but I can live with it.

This should not have any effect on getting Mike Wallace at all. Wallace is still the main target.

I would have been happier getting Gibson for less money than Hartline, if that was possible. We need some size.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:09 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Hartline has a 1000 yard season... Gibsons biggest receiving total is 691 last year... while he did record 5 td's he's been extremely inconsistent and has only played a full season once... again, last year.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:
Hartline has a 1000 yard season... Gibsons biggest receiving total is 691 last year... while he did record 5 td's he's been extremely inconsistent and has only played a full season once... again, last year.

Hartline got 1000 because of opportunity. He was our 1st option in the pass game. Gibson was the 3rd option for St. Louis behind Amendola and Givins.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:38 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

for those not familiar with the type of receiver Gibson is.
He's a hardworking physical receiver we lack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrM4nIvEe1c

Philbin really needs 4 quality receivers so I feel this guy fills a James Jones type role with us.

I would feel confident with Wallace, Gibson, Hartline and Bess this season and still draft a developmental rookie in the top 80 picks.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Sounds like a nice 3rd option. Sure like it that he can catch TD's.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:29 am

swerve13 wrote:
We need some size.

Gibson is two inches shorter than Hartline and only 5 lbs heavier...

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:15 am

Yeah... you can list me as someone who's tired of taking someone elses trash and thinking it's going to magically turn to gold. There's no alchemy going on here.

Gibson is what he is... an avg receiver who couldn't solidify a role on a team weak at the WR position.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:46 am

IamPZ wrote:
Yeah... you can list me as someone who's tired of taking someone elses trash and thinking it's going to magically turn to gold. There's no alchemy going on here.

Gibson is what he is... an avg receiver who couldn't solidify a role on a team weak at the WR position.

Well put. That's the bottom line to a T.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:22 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
We need some size.

Gibson is two inches shorter than Hartline and only 5 lbs heavier...

i don't know whats listed on paper but all you have to do is look at the 2 men. Hartline is like a rag doll who can't stay on his feet.. Gibson looks like a solid muscular dude. Plays with power. Also big strong hands. Heights and weights can be deceiving.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Hartline is like a rag doll who can't stay on his feet

Ha! Hartline does sometimes have the trip over a blade of grass syndrome!

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
Hartline is like a rag doll who can't stay on his feet

He just looks wafer thin. I hope we draft a receiver with some height and muscle.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

He just looks wafer thin. I hope we draft a receiver with some height and muscle.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:44 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Heights and weights can be deceiving.

And so can the grass on the other side.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:

He lost a lot of weight from when he was in hospital prior to the start of the year. I suspect offseason workouts this year will help him.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:11 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Probably should consider more than just Gibson when looking at fallback options.

Jennings, Welker, trade options (Nate Washington, Darius Heyward Bey).

I keep reading that Ireland will do whatever it takes and leave any mistakes for his future successor.

I personally think Brandon Gibson will be option Q after all other avenues are explored. I'm willing to bet either Wallace or Jennings is a Dolphin by tomorrow night and whoever signs will get more money than we originally thought.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:01 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

He lost a lot of weight from when he was in hospital prior to the start of the year.

Try 25 lbs.

Quote:
What makes Hartline's production through four games even more impressive is that the 2009 fourth-round pick (No. 108 overall) out of Ohio State missed most of the OTAs and preseason due to a calf injury, and an emergency appendectomy in early June prevented him from participating in minicamp.

Hartline discussed his medical situation with Jeff Darlington of NFL.com, which included complications after his surgery that caused him to lose 25 pounds during a 12-day stay in Broward General Hospital.

"It was to the point where my stomach wasn't even processing my bile, so I had to put a tube down my throat," Hartline said. "Every 24 hours, I was emptying 600 CCs of bile from my stomach (the equivalent of a 20 oz. bottle of soda)...

"So the doctor says, 'Some people, they're in here for a day or two, if that. Then, you have people who die from this. But you're somewhere in the middle.' I look at the doctor and say, 'Wait, doc, are you telling me I have a 50-percent chance of dying?"

Despite the limited work in the offseason, Hartline has been a preferred target of rookie starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill. In Week 1, Hartline was targeted a team-high eight times, coming down with three receptions for 50 yards. The following week against the Oakland Raiders, Hartline caught nine of his 12 targets for 111 yards, the first 100-yard receiving game of Hartline's career. After being fairly well-neutralized by the New York Jets (one reception for 41 yards on nine targets), Hartline had his big game against the Cardinals.

While Hartline's 12-catch, 253-yard performance was not enough to be a nominee for AFC Offensive Player of the Week, his emergence as a legitimate starting receiver in the NFL has kick-started very preliminary contract talks between Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland and Drew Rosenhaus, Hartline's agent. As the No. 108 pick in the 2009 NFL draft, Hartline signed a four-year deal worth $3.04 million. Hartline triggered playing-time escalators that increased his 2012 base salary to $1.308 million, but he will be an unrestricted free agent in the offseason.

No. 2 receivers in the NFL can secure pretty good contracts. Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown signed a five-year, $41.96 million extension before training camp. Though only $8.5 million of that contract was guaranteed, it was a very good haul for a receiver who was two years away from unrestricted free agency. Hartline is even closer to hitting the market, but is keeping things in perspective.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:04 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I am starting to think that Gibson might be our "big" free agent acquisition this year.....sort of like that awesome Chad Johnson move last year.

It would be great to see them get Wallace and then grab Eiffert in round #1.....but somehow, I think we will get Gibson and some large body for the O-line or D-line in the first round....same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Probably should consider more than just Gibson when looking at fallback options.

Jennings, Welker, trade options (Nate Washington, Darius Heyward Bey).

I keep reading that Ireland will do whatever it takes and leave any mistakes for his future successor.

I personally think Brandon Gibson will be option Q after all other avenues are explored. I'm willing to bet either Wallace or Jennings is a Dolphin by tomorrow night and whoever signs will get more money than we originally thought.

I'd wait to see what happens with Heyward-Bey. I think the Raiders are going to cut him. If he's cut, I think we should make a move to get him. The kid has size and serious speed. If we added him and drafted a receiver in the first two rounds I think we'd significantly improve and not have to pay an over the moon type salary to Wallace. To be honest, I'd even give Heyward-Bey a look if we add Wallace. Two speedsters like that would give opponents serious problems when we go four wide.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I am starting to think that Gibson might be our "big" free agent acquisition this year.....sort of like that awesome Chad Johnson move last year.

It would be great to see them get Wallace and then grab Eiffert in round #1.....but somehow, I think we will get Gibson and some large body for the O-line or D-line in the first round....same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

i don't believe so. I think they still want Wallace, but probably also want Gibson to be our #3 receiver.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:14 am

Am I missing something? Did Darrius Heyward-Bey turn into a superstar over night and I'm not aware?

Again, another receiver who can't solidify a role on a team weak at the position and Dolphins fans are salivating over him.

Ya know who else had great speed... Ted Ginn Jr... some guy named Troy Williamson...

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:46 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
Am I missing something? Did Darrius Heyward-Bey turn into a superstar over night and I'm not aware?

Again, another receiver who can't solidify a role on a team weak at the position and Dolphins fans are salivating over him.

Ya know who else had great speed... Ted Ginn Jr... some guy named Troy Williamson...

Its not to be an alpha but rather serve a purpose. He's better than Ted Ginn and Troy Williamson because he has actually produced at least mediocre stats. Also, consider who has been throwing him the ball.

He could be a less expensive decoy that would allow Hartline and a TE to operate over the middle. He gives you this year to prove it, and allows you to draft a speedy guy to develop.

Miami has money to spend and a lot of needs. It can't just be Wallace or bust. If he's too expensive you move to plan B and address other needs. DHB is a better fallback option than Gibson, which is basically the point. Still very young.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:52 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:

If Gibson is trash, then why is Hartline worth so much?

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:17 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:

Cool story bro.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

Cool story bro.

it's actually a valid point

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:14 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

Cool story bro.

it's actually a valid point

Based on what? Sure Hartline was a #1 on a bad team... but even when we bring someone in he's still gonna be our #2 and most consistent WR.

Gibson did nothing last year when they didn't even have Givens and Amendola was hurt.

The opportunity was equal for both players... one took it as a chance to prove himself, the other crawled into a corner.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
As to the players the Dolphins are still hoping to land, I keep hearing the name Brandon Gibson.

The Rams free agent wide receiver is visiting the Jets today. But he has other suitors. A league source said Gibson might take as many as four other trips -- with the Dolphins being one of them.

But ...

It's clear that in the preliminary talks Gibson's agent had with teams, the Jets stepped up the most and thus get the first visit. If the Jets don't close, the market for this receiver drops somewhat.

The Miami vision for Gibson is interesting. Yes, he's a wide receiver but he's very, very much a possession guy. He'd be a third wide receiver on the Dolphins behind Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline. He might be a bigger Davone Bess.

And so if the Dolphins add Gibson, what are they going to do with Bess?

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]