View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 What Wallace brings and what that's worth 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post What Wallace brings and what that's worth
Quote:

The deal is not done, contrary to a report yesterday. Indeed, after that "report" reared its head, I texted multiple team sources to see if it was true. "LOL the media," is one answer I got, which made fun of the report and reporter.

But if (I emphasize if because nothing is done until it is done) the Dolphins do land Wallace, what are they likely to pay and what are they likely to get for the price?

Notice that Wallace averaged eight touchdowns the past two seasons and averaged eight touchdowns over his career, as well. The player is nothing if not consistent in that regard.

So production is not, or should not be a question mark for this prospective free agent wide receiver.

I would expect Mike Wallace will get a five-year deal from whatever team he signs with and he'll be shooting for $12 million per season, as I've reported before. Depending on whether there is competition or not for Wallace will determine if Wallace hits that $12 million per year but he will certainly reach at least $11.5 million per year.

And that $57.5 to $60 million contract must come with between $27 to $30 million in guaranteed money.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:34 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: What Wallace brings and what that's worth
I like him, but I'm not so sure he's going to be worth the money. I can only imagine being in Ireland and company's shoes right now... nerves must be ticking.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:38 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

You're not only talking pass production with Mike Wallace. You're also talking a huge shot in the arm for the run game. Wallace will prevent those safeties from creeping down into the run box.

When they do, it'll be play action pass home run. Plus when a safety is rolled over to Wallace's side in double coverage. That opens up the middle of the field for more passing production.

A Wide Receiver like Wallace can really help to open up your offensive playbook.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:38 am

Finhead34 wrote:
You're not only talking pass production with Mike Wallace. You're also talking a huge shot in the arm for the run game. Wallace will prevent those safeties from creeping down into the run box.

When they do, it'll be play action pass home run. Plus when a safety is rolled over to Wallace's side in double coverage. That opens up the middle of the field for more passing production.

A Wide Receiver like Wallace can really help to open up your offensive playbook.

I always get nervous about free agent signings... I mean at least if a rookie doesn't work out you're not stuck with this huge contract for years and years... if Wallace bombs (which I don't think he will)... we're stuck paying that 12 mill a season until we're able to cut him.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:40 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

I always get nervous about free agent signings... I mean at least if a rookie doesn't work out you're not stuck with this huge contract for years and years... if Wallace bombs (which I don't think he will)... we're stuck paying that 12 mill a season until we're able to cut him.

Do any of the coaches have a back ground with Wallace?...You like to see a prior relationship with a guy...

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:59 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I don't think we've seen Wallce's best football yet. In 2010 he had 60 recs for over 1200yds & 10TDs. But the Steelers offense has been in flux for the past few years with tradition, OC, & QB all fighting against eachother.

Admittedly, a chunk of his production has come from Big Ben's ability to keep the play alive and create but isn't that something we would want too?

His route running and work ethic have never been a question, maybe just his attitude of wanting the ball more. So I haven't seen anything that suggest we shouldn't pay him to be featured in this offense.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:49 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

What scares me how eager the Steelers were to keep Antonio Brown (not Wallace) and we might have to throw $13 million at this man.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:05 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

$13 million? How much is Welker expected to get? Maybe going after Jennings and drafting a few rookie WRs would be a better option. I'd rather add multiple players and increase my chances for a breakout season from one of them, instead of blowing all my cash on one guy.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

rodneyfaile wrote:
$13 million?

Perhaps the Dolphins are putting this out there to let the Vikings know that we have the money to go after Wallace even if he gets up to $13 million. I am sure there is a lot of posturing going on.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:18 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

What scares me how eager the Steelers were to keep Antonio Brown (not Wallace) and we might have to throw $13 million at this man.

This is an awful lot of money and makes me nervous as a fan big time. I just wish Wallace was more like a Calvin Johnson, Fitzgerald, Julio Jones mold. I know that is a rarity size and skill together, but paying 13 million jack Wallace you hope would come in and trump his previous stats to really be worth it.

However, with cap creativity who knows maybe money moved around the right way will still make this the deal to make.....

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:28 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:

This is an awful lot of money and makes me nervous as a fan big time. I just wish Wallace was more like a Calvin Johnson, Fitzgerald, Julio Jones mold. I know that is a rarity size and skill together, but paying 13 million jack Wallace you hope would come in and trump his previous stats to really be worth it.

However, with cap creativity who knows maybe money moved around the right way will still make this the deal to make.....

I know......free agency can be a scary thing.............you think about all the Big Busts..........Mario Williams, Haynesworth, Moss to the Raiders. A lot of these guys get paid and just shut it down. To quote Ireleand, I'm hoping Wallace is a "Football Guy" and the Big Money only makes him give that much more.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:45 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

shularino wrote:
you think about all the Big Busts..........Mario Williams, Haynesworth, Moss to the Raiders.

Mario Williams amassed 10.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and 2 recovered fumbles along with 46 sacks and 4 passes defensed.

How does that make him a free agent bust? And what happened? I thought you were big on getting your facts right...

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:50 am

I'm pretty sure Pittsburgh offered the contract to Mike Wallace first... when he declined it they moved on and started negotiating with Antonio Brown.

He was their first choice, but in true Steeler fashion... they didn't go beyond what they thought he was worth.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]