View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Elvis is IN the building? 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Elvis is IN the building?
From Rotoworld...

Broncos RE Elvis Dumervil has requested his release after the sides got "no closer" to a resolution in their contract impasse on Monday.
"We're at an impasse," Dumervil's agent confirmed. "(Elvis) loves the Broncos. ... But if we can't reach common ground and you know as an organization that you're going to release him, then we'd like for them to release him by (Tuesday) and not wait another four days." The "another four days" is in reference to Dumervil's $12 million salary becoming fully guaranteed on Saturday. The Broncos are insisting on a pay-cut, while Dumervil is only willing to restructure. He's likely played his final down in Denver.
Source: Denver Post Mar 11 - 7:40 PM

Could you imagine Cam on the left side and Elvis on the right side? Wow!!! Doubt it happens though....

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:26 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Elvis is IN the building?
I don't see it. They won't spend big on DE in free agency.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Have to consider it.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:43 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

It's what we need

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:19 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Another aging veteran on the decline. There's a reason the Broncos are asking him to take a pay cut... he's nowhere near the player he once was.

Would rather see more of Vernon.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Elvis is not in Miami's building.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:27 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
Another aging veteran on the decline. There's a reason the Broncos are asking him to take a pay cut... he's nowhere near the player he once was.

Decline...he has 47 sacks the last 3 years..He is just 29..

Was JT washed up at 29....They are not getting rid of him because of decline...It's his 12 mil. Cap hit

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:39 am

Kev1321 wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Was JT washed up at 29....They are not getting rid of him because of decline...It's his 12 mil. Cap hit

Yeah that was a short sited statement on my part... my apologies. He has been performing quite well... a little down season in 2011, but still had 11 sacks last year and 6... yes 6... Forced Fumbles

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:42 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Yeah that was a short sited statement on my part... my apologies. He has been performing quite well... a little down season in 2011, but still had 11 sacks last year and 6... yes 6... Forced Fumbles

McDanial paid him and others crazy money and then dumped a 1st round pick on Tebow.
Elway has done a pretty good job.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:54 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The man had over 50 tackles, 11.0 sacks, and 6.0 forced fumbles this last year. He's a difference maker in the pass rush. He'd make an immediate impact and pairing him up with Wake would create the same kind of mismatches that the Broncos benefited from all season long. If the Broncos cut him I'd hope that Ireland makes a serious attempt to get him. He's a great fit in my opinion. Imagine our front four being Wake, Soliai, Starks, and Dumervil! That's the kind of defensive front that could give Brady nightmares for the next few seasons.

The man is set to make around $30M over the next three years. $12M in 2013, $10M in 2014, and $8M in 2015 roughly. I think those are numbers we can definitely work around with our current cap situation. I see no reason why the Dolphins couldn't give him the same $30M over three years but do it in a team friendly way that keeps his cap number well under $10M a season.

Rich, what do you think? You're CAP friendly contract generator around here.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:48 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

wkloiber13 wrote:

His contract is very cap prohibitive, because even though the Broncos would eat the remaining amortized bonus, his base salaries are huge. In a 3 year, 30 million restructure, there isn't a lot of wiggle room to spread the cap hit out. In all likelihood, he is going to be at least a $10 million cap hit.

I also have concerns about his size, at 5'11", do you have any information on how he holds up against the run? Maybe someone can check PFF.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:57 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
I also have concerns about his size, at 5'11", do you have any information on how he holds up against the run? Maybe someone can check PFF.

He didn't do very well vs the run and ranked 54th in that category among DE's.

Also, he didn't have a great year.

Also, this thread title is deceptive. He is nowhere in Miami.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Rich wrote:

He didn't do very well vs the run and ranked 54th in that category among DE's.

Ya, his size scares me. More of a situational pass rusher. I'd prefer to find the next quick twitch, long armed athletic guy in the draft.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:22 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IF Miami could pull off getting Elvis Dumervil under a cap friendly set of terms, this guy is disruptive to have on your defense and has the knack to get in the back field on running backs.

Lining him up opposite Wake would wreak havoc IMO. But again, it is the money and how good of a deal you can get him in order to even make this doable.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:31 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

His contract is very cap prohibitive, because even though the Broncos would eat the remaining amortized bonus, his base salaries are huge. In a 3 year, 30 million restructure, there isn't a lot of wiggle room to spread the cap hit out. In all likelihood, he is going to be at least a $10 million cap hit.

His run defense wouldn't be an issue for the type rotation we could run imo.The type rotation that the Giants have had while pounding Brady.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Kev1321 wrote:
Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

His run defense wouldn't be an issue for the type rotation we could run imo.The type rotation that the Giants have had while pounding Brady.

So we're going to pay $10-$12 million in cap space for a situational pass rusher? Is Dumervil going to be OK with this?

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:14 pm

Any chance at converting him to OLB?

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:42 pm

IamPZ wrote:

Sure, but in a 4-3 he wouldn't be rushing the passer that much.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:46 pm

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Sure, but in a 4-3 he wouldn't be rushing the passer that much.

That's true... and apparently his run defense isn't that great.

So basically 10-12m for a guy who's gonna rush the QB on passing downs... eek

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

I also have concerns about his size, at 5'11", do you have any information on how he holds up against the run? Maybe someone can check PFF...

So we're going to pay $10-$12 million in cap space for a situational pass rusher? Is Dumervil going to be OK with this?

You make a good point Rich, if we make a move to get him, we're going to take a huge cap hit, one that could limit our ability to sign any other big players. But what if he were cut by the Broncos? Wouldn't we be able to work something else out with the guy, something that perhaps keeps him making that $30M, but something that is team friendly and spreads the deal out over four years instead of three?

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]