View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Dolphins appear to have a plan 
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Post Dolphins appear to have a plan
Quote:
Next comes a congratulations for Miami general manager Jeff Ireland, who moved quickly to keep this done deal from coming undone, and the declaration that it doesn’t bother me one bit if Dolphins owner Stephen Ross overspent on this deal. When a billionaire is asking for $200 million in public money to help renovate Sun Life Stadium, he can cough up whatever’s needed to keep one football player happy.
Last, there seems to be a real plan in action here, with emphasis on proven players coming into their primes rather than planning the future around draft choices and the other mysteries of life.
This goes beyond Wallace to linebacker Dannell Ellerbe, who also washed into Miami on the first wave of free agency Tuesday afternoon. Both will be 27 when the regular season starts. Both have worked out enough of the kinks to be considered truly dangerous in this league, and for some time to come.
Ellerbe feels like a major bonus simply because he and the Dolphins haven’t been mentioned together for weeks on end the way Wallace and the team were. Ellerbe gets a hefty deal, too, but nine tackles for Baltimore in a Super Bowl win ought to be worth something.
Here is Ireland the less obvious, an interesting new side to a man who suddenly has the confidence to make Jake Long sweat it out in free agency rather than opening the vault for the left tackle whom Bill Parcells told him to draft first overall in 2008.
And even though tight end Jared Cook wound up agreeing to a deal with the St. Louis Rams instead of the Dolphins on Tuesday, the additions of Wallace and Ellerbe signal a strong new core for the Dolphins. Later Tuesday, Miami made yet another addition by reaching a deal with linebacker Philip Wheeler, who played for Oakland last season.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... -el/nWqM4/

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:55 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Dolphins appear to have a plan
I hope its a smart plan of action he has. I never would've guessed that 2 of our 3 signings would be at LB on the first day of FA since we have other glaring needs that require a plan

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:38 am

Steve Zissou wrote:
I hope its a smart plan of action he has. I never would've guessed that 2 of our 3 signings would be at LB on the first day of FA since we have other glaring needs that require a plan

I am also leary about that. I thought that our linebackers were one of the few strengths we had. It's a gamble for sure. Hope Ellerbe is worth that much cheddar. Lots of TV people on the sports outlets questioning the amount we paid to a linebacker with little starting experience. Fingers crossed.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:57 am
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Quote:
Stephen Ross overspent on this deal. When a billionaire is asking for $200 million in public money to help renovate Sun Life Stadium, he can cough up whatever’s needed to keep one football player happy.

Please no public money.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]