View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
 OT: Steelers trade Santonio Holmes to Jets 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post OT: Steelers trade Santonio Holmes to Jets
for 5th round pick. I guess the latest incident for Holmes was enough for the Steelers.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:10 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets
Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets
Posted by Mike Florio on April 11, 2010 11:24 PM ET
What a strange weekend it has been for Santonio Holmes.

Yesterday, we reported that Holmes is facing a four-game suspension under the substance abuse policy. Tonight, we're told that the Steelers have traded Holmes to the New York Jets.

More to come.
Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets
Posted by Mike Florio on April 11, 2010 11:24 PM ET
What a strange weekend it has been for Santonio Holmes.

Yesterday, we reported that Holmes is facing a four-game suspension under the substance abuse policy. Tonight, we're told that the Steelers have traded Holmes to the New York Jets.

More to come.

:jests:

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:10 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post Re: Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets
I cant stand the JETS!! if this is true...this move might help JT decide to sign with JETS sooner

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:12 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: Steelers trade Santonio Holmes to Jets
fin, looks like me and you saw this news on ESPN at about the same time. Holmes will probably be suspended the 1st 4 games, but the Jets don't care.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:16 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

lol yea..you re right..JEts dont care abt suspension 1st 4 games...i think fins should draft FS Thomas now

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:19 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

too bad he wont have a good qb like roethlisberger throwing him the ball. i wonder if the jets would be interested in jason ferguson

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Santonio Holmes is innocent!
Quote:
Witness takes blame

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A witness has taken responsibility for tossing a glass at a woman at an Orlando nightclub, according to the lawyer for Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes who was first accused of attacking the woman.

An investigator tracked down the witness, who gave a sworn statement saying he threw the glass because the woman was attacking Holmes, Adam Swickle said Friday. Swickle did not identify the witness, but said it was the first person the woman's friends told police threw the glass.

"This is extortion in its purest form," Swickle said.

Anshonae Mills filed a lawsuit last month claiming Holmes threw a glass at her, cutting her above the eye. In the lawsuit, she said Holmes and a police officer intimidated her so she wouldn't press charges.

Mills changed her mind, and the case has been reopened by the Orlando police.

A phone number listed for Mills had been disconnected. Her attorney, Jacques Cooper, declined to comment.

The Orlando Police Department submitted its findings of the investigation Friday to the Osceola-Orange County State Attorney's Office, which will determine whether to file any charges against Holmes.

Orlando Police spokeswoman Sgt. Barbara Jones would not discuss details about the findings. A message left for the state attorney's office was not immediately returned.

-Rex Ryan

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:28 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

for a #5 .... speechless.

However this is why I consider the Steelers the class franchise of the league. They dont put up with all the BS that these players bring & no matter how good they are they put dignity before winning & they still manage to win. Big Ben might just be next if he gets into anymore off season trouble.
Just wish it wasnt the Jets though ... he is a steal for a #5 , especially if he gets his act in order ... Holmes has the talent to be a true #1 receiver.
Still , Sanchez it touching the ball on most every play , he will be the key.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:04 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i have heard rumors that leon washington was part of the deal as well
only when he signs his tender offer , how true that is i dont know

a 5th rnd pick for the superbowl mvp and a #1/2 wide receiver in the nfl seems very
little payment for

Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The trade isn't surprising, the price for him is.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:40 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Iowafin wrote:

Heck, I don't blame the Steelers, but they're giving him away. I'd give our 5th round pick for him. There must be some other things going on behind the scenes.

The Jets are becoming the new Cincinatti Bengles. They're grab any talented player despite their personal problems. If their defense wasn't stocked up all ready, I think we'd see Pacman Jones there.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:03 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Re: OT: Steelers trade Santonio Holmes to Jets
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't WE need a #1 WR????

What is WRONG with us???? For a 5th??? The guy was a 1st rounder! We are really starting to look stupid.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:18 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

dolphinjim wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't WE need a #1 WR????

What is WRONG with us???? For a 5th??? The guy was a 1st rounder! We are really starting to look stupid.

Its glaringly obvious we are not suiting up to try and win a championship in 2010... Still building through the draft, and I guess they either have decided to wait on some players til next year.. Maybe there is someone on the radar that hits FA next year... Who really knows..

The Jets seem to be the winners of the FA championship.... I guess its better to look like the losers of the 2010 season now, then to look like the sure shot team to go the distance and not...

Remember the Jett Favre team was picked to go the distance and got beat out on the final game of the season by a team that was picked to go 8-8 at best.......

I know I wouldnt have minded Holmes...

Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:02 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Santonio is a big play receiver, but he will be suspended the first 4 games of the season for violating the drug policy, has had multiple run in with the law, and he will be a free agent after this year.

Those are things that have to be taken into consideration. The Steelers decided that they had enough of his antics.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:18 am
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

IMO the Jets just added a troublemaker to their roster. While they appear to be improving on paper I could see all these ego's getting together and causing mayhem. No big deal to me, I still think the Pats are the team to be reckoned with.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:58 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

the guy is 26 years old too...

Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:06 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm sick. At least if they were going to trade for Holmes why couldn't Pittsburgh have extorted a 1st or 2nd rounder for him from the Jets?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we need a #1 receiver? This makes me sick; they get Edwards and Holmes for that little diva Sanchez. How can he fail with the talent they have put around him? He doesn't even have to be good, just throw the ball up in the air and let one of your stud receivers come down with it. (slapping forehead)

Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:14 am
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Dark Lord, Prince of Evil and Master of the Fourth Plane of Hell Belichick = much more of a threat than Jabba-wannabe Rappin' Rexy. Okay, so he does have the advantage of being alive, thus not needing blood plasma to extend his longevity, and does not thirst for souls, but Ryan is simply not in Belichick's league.

Tommy Tantrum, sacrificer of supermodels Brady = much more of a threat than the hot dog himself, Mr. 'I ate a weiner' Sanchez.

Now, do you think Santonio Holmes = more of a threat than Moss? I believe Holmes is a big upgrade over Edwards and Cotchery, but no I don't see him as harder to handle than Rancid Randy.

Is Edwards (who already had a shot at being the #1 guy there with Sanchez ) = more? He produced a whopping 541 yards in the 12 games he played with gangrene. Whew weee, what a torrid pace, huh? 12 games, 541 yards, that's 45 yards a game, man, he's smoking.Psssst, Ted Ginn did better than that (49.375) in 2008 for us and he got villified like he was the village idiot.

Edward's lack of concentration and dropsies continued, too...50% reception rate on the balls thrown at him. Psssst, Ginn caught 52.1% of his passes. I'm not defending Ginn; he's so hated by most of the readers here that I'm just adding perspective to what we face out of the Jets WRs.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:30 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Heck, I don't blame the Steelers, but they're giving him away. I'd give our 5th round pick for him. There must be some other things going on behind the scenes.

The Jets are becoming the new Cincinatti Bengles. They're grab any talented player despite their personal problems. If their defense wasn't stocked up all ready, I think we'd see Pacman Jones there.

If we had a 5th to give. Sure.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:42 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Re: OT: Steelers trade Santonio Holmes to Jets
Right now on paper the jets look very good.....but we all know that they still have to suit up and play the game It looks like they have a top wr duo and a soild d and a good run game but we have......... :embarrassed: oh we need more help if we plain on making a run at this come on Tuna and company lets do something dont want them to go out and get a guy just to stop him from playing with our foes but lets do something u know

Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:47 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

pawfectgent wrote:
Dark Lord, Prince of Evil and Master of the Fourth Plane of Hell Belichick = much more of a threat than Jabba-wannabe Rappin' Rexy. Okay, so he does have the advantage of being alive, thus not needing blood plasma to extend his longevity, and does not thirst for souls, but Ryan is simply not in Belichick's league.

Tommy Tantrum, sacrificer of supermodels Brady = much more of a threat than the hot dog himself, Mr. 'I ate a weiner' Sanchez.

Now, do you think Santonio Holmes = more of a threat than Moss? I believe Holmes is a big upgrade over Edwards and Cotchery, but no I don't see him as harder to handle than Rancid Randy.

Is Edwards (who already had a shot at being the #1 guy there with Sanchez ) = more? He produced a whopping 541 yards in the 12 games he played with gangrene. Whew weee, what a torrid pace, huh? 12 games, 541 yards, that's 45 yards a game, man, he's smoking.Psssst, Ted Ginn did better than that (49.375) in 2008 for us and he got villified like he was the village idiot.

Edward's lack of concentration and dropsies continued, too...50% reception rate on the balls thrown at him. Psssst, Ginn caught 52.1% of his passes. I'm not defending Ginn; he's so hated by most of the readers here that I'm just adding perspective to what we face out of the Jets WRs.

exactlly!!!.. and to add to that both of these guys only have a year left on their contracts, you can't honestly expect the Jets to have the cap space to sign even one of these guys.

It looks to me that they may be a force this season but are going to have some reciever holes to fill the following season and who says there won't be some chemistry/off field issues with these guys this season?..(remember Holmes is a doobie away from a longer suspension now)

The jets are giving their young QB some weapons for sure but these guys come with some potential dangerous baggage that a young Qb may not been prepared to deal with yet so in my opinion there is just as much of a recipe for disaster just as much as success..What do you guys think?.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:05 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Jets have upped the Ante, they are thin at Pass Rusher and Safety though and one injury away from Offensive Line Struggles. Getting rid of TJ could bite them too. Shonn Greene while talented doesnt have a proven workhorse season and LT is LT. They need to draft a couple of front seven impact players so...

Good news is the AFC East is back to being possibly the strongest division in the NFL and whoever gets out of it the champ is going to be in strong contention

Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:28 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

As phinsfansc has pointed out the jests may have him for part of one year only.

Miami may not have even had a shot at him.

What happens to him if he tests positive again?

Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:58 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

AQNOR wrote:

Wishful optimistic thinking?
I applaud your efforts

Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:29 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phin wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

I applaud your efforts

I don't wish anything bad on anybody Phin, but it not like Santonio has shown the great judgement so far in his NFL career. AND he will be suspended for the 1st 4 games of the season for a positive drug test.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:00 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

It is a good trade for the jets but you have to believe that if Pittsburgh was willing to part with him for so little they must know something we don't. The Steelers have been one of the better personnel organizations over the last ten years.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:29 pm

The Jets knew he would be suspended. They also knew they would be basically renting him for 12 games. But for a 5th with him having to be on his best behavior it was well worth it. Look , very few teams are gonna want to touch him when his contract is up. If he wins with the jets he will want to resign there & if this gamble turns out to be a failed one he will wind up somewhere like Oakland or Cleveland & the Jets really lose nothing on the gamble. But if the gamble pays off they will sign a young , very good receiver to an incentive laden contract which keeps him on a short list because it will be loaded with stipulations to the teams benefit.

Still the Steelers once again show why they are the class of the league ... no matter what the stakes they will not accept this behavior & you can bet Ben is not far behind.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:36 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Rumor has it that Leon Washington is part of this deal but he needs to sign his tender 1st.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post ... nfl,233525

Awesome post as usual paw.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phin wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

I applaud your efforts

Not sure what you mean. Would you mind being more specific?

He is suspended for the first four games this year and is on the last year of his contract.

That he was moved before even a rumor that he was trade bait could indicate a fast deal. It does not appear that he was put on the open market like Smiley.
Quote:
The Steelers were prepared to release wide receiver Santonio Holmes had they not been able to trade him, sources told the Post-Gazette today.
They took the best deal they could find late Sunday night

It was the best offer they received after talking to a number of other NFL teams about trading Holmes.

The trade came one day after a report on Profootballtalk.com that Holmes faces a four-game suspension in the 2010 season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/1049772-66.stm
Don't know if that number included Miami or not.

He has tested positive and has not shown good judgment. It seems more likely than not that he will make another mistake along those lines just like Ferguson and others have.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:56 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

However this is why I consider the Steelers the class franchise of the league

And one of the reaons they are in it almost every year. The gambles that the Jets are taking do not payoff. They will take on the craziness of their coach and they will implode with no leadership. Have fun JT with the lack of heart on that team.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:37 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
However this is why I consider the Steelers the class franchise of the league

And one of the reaons they are in it almost every year. The gambles that the Jets are taking do not payoff. They will take on the craziness of their coach and they will implode with no leadership. Have fun JT with the lack of heart on that team.

This always sticks in my mind when discussing the jets coach.... too funny
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2009-1 ... -wannstedt

Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]