View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] 
 Pat White wants back into NFL! 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Pat White wants back into NFL!
OK ... don;t be frightened it is SF that is thinking about it! HA!

49ers tinkering with idea of Pat White as a backup QB

By Brad Biggs | National Football Post – 1 hour 20 minutes ago
Email

Pat White is looking for a shot to get back into the NFL and he might have found one.
The San Francisco 49ers will bring White in for a visit after he had a private workout earlier this month and then performed again last week at the West Virginia pro day. A second-round draft pick of the Miami Dolphins in 2009, White got a call from Niners head coach Jim Harbaugh, according to Jim Corbett of USA Today.
“Coach and I had a conversation about me coming in to work out,'' White told Corbett. "We haven't set up a formal date. I'm just going to make sure I keep working hard for when that day comes.

"I pay attention to how his players react to Coach Harbaugh. They all want to win for him. And he seems to treat them how they want to be treated. I'm excited to get to know him on that level -- if I do get that opportunity. I'm very optimistic about making it back to the NFL.''
White’s career didn’t pan out with the Dolphins and he has dabbled with baseball. But he’s spent time recently training with quarterback guru George Whitfield Jr. in California, and Harbaugh is intrigued to take a look at White and consider him as a possible backup for Colin Kaepernick now that Alex Smith has moved on.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/49ers-tink ... --nfl.html

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Pat White wants back into NFL!
That sounds like a good fit for him...They run a style that may work for him as a back up that will be seeing some time....Kaepernick is going to take a beating

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

He doesn't have the accuracy or size to play in the NFL. I can still remember watching him get knocked out.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

bobby0112 wrote:
He doesn't have the accuracy or size to play in the NFL. I can still remember watching him get knocked out.

How much bigger is the guy in Seattle?

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:08 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

He should try the jets. Sanchez, Tebow, and White? That would be great to watch if they had Hard Knocks.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kev1321 wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:

The guy in Seattle is 16 pounds heavier and can actually throw the ball so he doesn't have to run every time he takes a snap. As a matter of fact Pat White NEVER completed a pass in a regular season game in the NFL. Russell Wilson completed 252 of 393 passes for 3118 yards and 26 TD's.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:38 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

bobby0112 wrote:
The guy in Seattle is 16 pounds heavier and can actually throw the ball so he doesn't have to run every time he takes a snap. As a matter of fact Pat White NEVER completed a pass in a regular season game in the NFL. Russell Wilson completed 252 of 393 passes for 3118 yards and 26 TD's.
In fairness to the above comment. He only threw 5 passes.

Quote:
The San Francisco 49ers will bring White in for a visit after he had a private workout earlier this month and then performed again last week at the West Virginia pro day.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:
In fairness to the above comment. He only threw 5 passes.

I know he only threw 5 passes. Its comical to compare Russell Wilson, who was a legit rookie of the year candidate to Pat White who might be the biggest bust in Dolphins draft history.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

bobby0112 wrote:
I know he only threw 5 passes. Its comical to compare Russell Wilson, who was a legit rookie of the year candidate to Pat White who might be the biggest bust in Dolphins draft history.

Its comical to compare their production. Its not to compare their size.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:15 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

bobby0112 wrote:

Well I still put Ginn on the top of that list, however much like Pat I cant blame either of them for being drafted by idiots....

White should go away, these visits only raise his hopes that he may one day be a NFL QB, but its not going to happen

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

bobby0112 wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:

So angry...I just don't think size has much to do with it. I also think he was a great athlete...He was just never developed into an NFL slash type player.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
So angry...I just don't think size has much to do with it. I also think he was a great athlete...He was just never developed into an NFL slash type player.

It wasn't size. It was having the ability to be an NFL calibur player.
He didn't even show flashes.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:54 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

It wasn't size. It was having the ability to be an NFL calibur player.
He didn't even show flashes.

A stupid wildcat idea...They thought they had the next great offensive innovation :)

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

A stupid wildcat idea...They thought they had the next great offensive innovation

During that one season in 2008, that stupid wildcat made several teams look stupid. It was only meant as away to cover up their deficiencies and Pennington ran that as best as it could have probably been done. A flash in the pan, but actually the Wildcat was a brilliant temporary offense that brought excitement. That game in NE when they unleashed and embarrassed Belicheck was classic.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
A stupid wildcat idea...They thought they had the next great offensive innovation

During that one season in 2008, that stupid wildcat made several teams look stupid. It was only meant as away to cover up their deficiencies and Pennington ran that as best as it could have probably been done. A flash in the pan, but actually the Wildcat was a brilliant temporary offense that brought excitement. That game in NE when they unleashed and embarrassed Belicheck was classic.

I agree. Nothing stupid about it. It came from the idea of "how do I get the ball in my best player's hands (Ronnie Brown)" and went from there.

It may not have stood the test of time but it was a great innovation.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Aren't SanFron, Seattle and Washington running a modified version of the WildCat? Sporano's only chance may have been to grab Vick when he was available. By the way, I'm glad we didn't.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

It became a stupid idea when they started drafting guys in the 2nd round that couldn't do anything but run the wildcat.....I didn't mean the play itself.

The wildPat was ugly

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:26 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

shularino wrote:
Aren't SanFron, Seattle and Washington running a modified version of the WildCat? Sporano's only chance may have been to grab Vick when he was available. By the way, I'm glad we didn't.

No, it's not a modified version of the Wildcat.

It is the pistol, which is a modified version of the shotgun, mixed in with some read options. There also any offset offensive line.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:53 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kev1321 wrote:
It became a stupid idea when they started drafting guys in the 2nd round that couldn't do anything but run the wildcat.....I didn't mean the play itself.

The wildPat was ugly

I agree with you 100%. When you look at all the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks that Miami has wasted over the last 6 years you can see why they are in situation they are in. When you add the 2nd round pick that was wasted on Pat White with the picks wasted on John Beck and Chad Henne you can see how bad Miami has been at drafting talent in the recent past.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:56 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

bobby0112 wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

The wildPat was ugly

I agree with you 100%. When you look at all the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks that Miami has wasted over the last 6 years you can see why they are in situation they are in. When you add the 2nd round pick that was wasted on Pat White with the picks wasted on John Beck and Chad Henne you can see how bad Miami has been at drafting talent in the recent past.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I was actually excited about the WildCat back then, and a lot of NFL media people thought it was a good idea at the time. Heck, a lot of teams were trying the WildCat and defenses had to practice against it every week.

Was it a mistake drafting White with a 2nd round pick? Definitely, but we know this as we saw it flop. White never was mentally ready for the NFL. He seemed scared to death.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:02 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

shularino wrote:

No, it's the pistol offense and the Air Force Academy has been running it for years. So has Nevada (where Kaepernick came from). I'm surprised it's taken this long for people to start giving it a look.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

cspooner13 wrote:
shularino wrote:

No, it's the pistol offense and the Air Force Academy has been running it for years. So has Nevada (where Kaepernick came from). I'm surprised it's taken this long for people to start giving it a look.

Since quarterbacks are becoming more and more athletic, it definitely seems like a great way to take advantage of that. I'm still a pocket quarterback kind of a person, but having a quarterback that can run for a first down (or more) definitely adds a dangerous element to the position. I think the reason it hasn't taken off in the NFL is that you could lose your quarterback with a hit in the open field.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:10 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:
shularino wrote:

Since quarterbacks are becoming more and more athletic, it definitely seems like a great way to take advantage of that. I'm still a pocket quarterback kind of a person, but having a quarterback that can run for a first down (or more) definitely adds a dangerous element to the position. I think the reason it hasn't taken off in the NFL is that you could lose your quarterback with a hit in the open field.

I think the reason it hasn't taken off is the most hyped athletic QBs generally don't make their teams better. Football is about executing strategy. Fleet footed QBs tend to rely too much on their ability to run and not enough on the strategy that was put together. Finding the right balance is the key, which is rarely found.

How many playoff games has Michael Vick won?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:42 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I never said that I thought it could be a lasting system in the NFL, just that I'm surprised it's taken this long to give it a shot.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:55 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This what floors me with the media.

Quote:
White wasn’t very good — in large part because he couldn’t take an NFL-caliber hit.

One hit and he could not take an NFL hit. Please.

Like he is the first guy to get knocked out on the field. I guess Steven Ridley is not capable of taking an NFL hit.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:08 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Im not saying Chad Henne was ever gonna be a quality QB (although after his first season playing alot of us did) but the Wildcat doomed him. I remember him having momentum on drives , marching us down the field only to be pulled in the red zone for the wildcat. Watching Ricky Williams & Ronnie Brown bust up the middle for a gain of 2 yards was ridiculous. It worked when it was new but once teams had a chance to prepare for it & the element of surprise was gone it was a waste of a down.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kev1321 wrote:

The wildPat was ugly

I lost all confidence in Parcells when the commisioner said the Dolphins select Pat White.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Miami was not a good landing spot for Pat White's skill sets. It was a goat rodeo trying to figure out Miami's QB situation back then.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dave I believe even pocket quarterbacks need to be able to run at times in every game. The days of pocket statues are gone in this game. The QB has to be able to help the line out and run for the occasional first down. I'm glad Tannehill has that trait to his game.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
Dave I believe even pocket quarterbacks need to be able to run at times in every game. The days of pocket statues are gone in this game. The QB has to be able to help the line out and run for the occasional first down. I'm glad Tannehill has that trait to his game.

With all due respect. A running Qb might win a game and get some pub, but so far cannot win Super Bowl. I'll take a Qb that can throw & pick a D apart over one that can run any time. Its nice if he can run at times to get that first down, but no team wants their bed & butter QB taking unnecessary shots down the field.

Give me a Tom Brady/Peyton Manning type QB over a Micheal Vick type any day.

If a QB cannot throw accurately then he will not be a starter long, no matter how much he runs. That is what RBs are for.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

With all due respect. A running Qb might win a game and get some pub, but so far cannot win Super Bowl. I'll take a Qb that can throw & pick a D apart over one that can run any time. Its nice if he can run at times to get that first down, but no team wants their bed & butter QB taking unnecessary shots down the field.

Give me a Tom Brady/Peyton Manning type QB over a Micheal Vick type any day.

If a QB cannot throw accurately then he will not be a starter long, no matter how much he runs. That is what RBs are for.

on the money

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:22 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Sign him now! The run option is back! Go Fins!!

Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

He is back

Quote:
Former Miami Dolphins quarterback Pat White has agreed to terms with the Washington Redskins after three years out of football.

Also dropping his name for the concussion lawsuit. Makes one wonder how many of these plaintiffs are just in it for a money grab.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:16 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
He is back

Quote:
Former Miami Dolphins quarterback Pat White has agreed to terms with the Washington Redskins after three years out of football.

Also dropping his name for the concussion lawsuit. Makes one wonder how many of these plaintiffs are just in it for a money grab.

How can someone that is cut from a UFL team even get a contract offer from an NFL team? He's not the next RG3.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:48 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
He is back

Quote:

How can someone that is cut from a UFL team even get a contract offer from an NFL team? He's not the next RG3.

They should sign Channing Crowder next.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]