View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 "Recklessly desperate" Ireland 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post "Recklessly desperate" Ireland
Kev1321 posted this in the "Coaches around the league..." thread. I just want to comment on what he quoted (nothing against Kev, he's just bringing up what a professional writer said)...

Quote:
12. Miami Dolphins -- Florida State CB Xavier Rhodes

Even after his recklessly desperate free-agency spending spree, Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland's roster has myriad holes. He needs two starting corners, an offensive tackle, another edge rusher, help at running back, and arguably a new right guard. Although press-corner Rhodes is a questionable scheme fit for coordinator Kevin Coyle's zone-heavy secondary, he's the best defensive back left on the board. Ireland is on the hotseat, and must nail day-one starters with his first 4-5 draft picks.

EVAN SILVA MOCK

Quote:
Even after his recklessly desperate free-agency spending spree

"Recklessly desperate???"
Really????

Let's take a look at this "recklessly desperate" spending spree....

1) The best WR on the market. Given big money. But nothing out of the expected realm. Desperate (for a #1 WR) maybe. But reckless???

2) A Mid tier WR to compete with established WRs and offer more options. The guy was listed as the 25th best FA WR according to espn's FA tracker.

3) A solid TE but not the best on the market. Given a 1 year contract

4) Two solid LBs used to directly replace two existing LBs, to fit the scheme better. The signings both saved money under the cap, particularly in 2014. We all understand how desperate you have to be to look beyond this season and focus on the long term.

There was 1 big FA signing. ONE! And two medium-big signings, which both saved the Dolphins cap space.

Very little about what Ireland did says "desperate" and none of it says "reckless." Signing the two new LBs gives a strong argument that he was taking a longer term view, which is completely the opposite of reckless.

It's amazing how little you have to understand in order to be a professional sportswriter. Just put out an impact headline and keep throwing crap against the wall until it sticks. Way to go Evan Silva!

Link to the "Coaches around the league..." thread
http://www.phinfever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8715

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:58 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: "Recklessly desperate" Ireland
Greg Rosenthall of Rotoworld.com & NFL.com has been ripping Miami pretty good as well and called the Dolphins one of the loser in free agency. Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com has had some of the same thoughts.

It's frustrating to read and it pisses me off, but going after Miami regardless of what they do is in vogue. Until Miami wins some games, this will be the norm.

The positives are few and far between.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

While I don't agree with their criticisms, they may be right. We've been criticized heavily over the past several years and at the end of the day, I can't say it wasn't somewhat justified. I mean, the proof is in our record isn't it?
Again, I don't agree with them, I actually like the moves he has made. But these guys may end up being right when the dust settles. We will have to wait and see.
My point is that we can get upset about the criticism, but until we actually prove something, we sort of deserve it.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:37 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phin wrote:
While I don't agree with their criticisms, they may be right. We've been criticized heavily over the past several years and at the end of the day, I can't say it wasn't somewhat justified. I mean, the proof is in our record isn't it?
Again, I don't agree with them, I actually like the moves he has made. But these guys may end up being right when the dust settles. We will have to wait and see.
My point is that we can get upset about the criticism, but until we actually prove something, we sort of deserve it.

I agree with what you are saying Phin, but free agency is a way of filling voids in a roster. The Dolphins are spending money, but they are also spending money on players in their PRIME. In the process, this team has gotten YOUNGER with the moves, and they were already one of the youngest teams in the league already.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:56 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
I agree with what you are saying Phin, but free agency is a way of filling voids in a roster. The Dolphins are spending money, but they are also spending money on players in their PRIME. In the process, this team has gotten YOUNGER with the moves, and they were already one of the youngest teams in the league already.

This. Couldn't agree more. What the national morons fail to do is look at the details and the grand scheme. They take things at face value and fail to realize that the contracts are all about the guaranteed money.

I understand its hard to know the details of every team and their moves, but don't make aggressive comments if you can't adequately back up what you're saying.

Name me a QB in the league who wouldn't be thrilled to have Wallace, Hartline, Keller, Gibson and Bess as his current receiving group.

Name me a 43 DC who wouldn't be very content with Miami's front 7.

Oh and Miami still has something like 15 million in cap space this year AND pretty decent money to spend next year if they want. Yeah, that defines reckless.

Can you sense my irritation?

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Winning will shut these so called experts up. It does not matter how many moves the Dolphins make, the media will continue with the negative yapping until they start winning. I think there are some good pieces in place to make big improvements over last season. Let's see if our young QB can take advantage of the new weapons. Go Phins.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jammer wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

This. Couldn't agree more. What the national morons fail to do is look at the details and the grand scheme. They take things at face value and fail to realize that the contracts are all about the guaranteed money.

I understand its hard to know the details of every team and their moves, but don't make aggressive comments if you can't adequately back up what you're saying.

Name me a QB in the league who wouldn't be thrilled to have Wallace, Hartline, Keller, Gibson and Bess as his current receiving group.

Name me a 43 DC who wouldn't be very content with Miami's front 7.

Oh and Miami still has something like 15 million in cap space this year AND pretty decent money to spend next year if they want. Yeah, that defines reckless.

Can you sense my irritation?

It can't be that hard to know the details of the team you write about. The national media is one thing, but the writers down in Miami have been just as critical of the team and the moves we've pulled in free agency

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:

Based upon past results I would think they should be critical if Miami stood pat during free agency. Yet here we have a team that has outperformed expectations since Philbin has been hired. And have FINALLY moved in the right direction by investing a 1st round pick in what we all hope to be a franchise QB.

Based upon past events, trading away two starting players and not seeking to replace them sooner and by freeing up $45m in cap space, this has been the front office's plan all along.

I'm not saying Ireland is above criticism. I happen to believe this team still has two dire needs: OLine and CB. I know we have the draft to address those needs, but I cringe at the thought of starting two rookies at CB on day one. And right now that is looking like the plan because we have NOBODY worth starting at CB. He needs to address these issues before the season.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:30 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
Phin wrote:

Based upon past results I would think they should be critical if Miami stood pat during free agency. Yet here we have a team that has outperformed expectations since Philbin has been hired. And have FINALLY moved in the right direction by investing a 1st round pick in what we all hope to be a franchise QB.

Based upon past events, trading away two starting players and not seeking to replace them sooner and by freeing up $45m in cap space, this has been the front office's plan all along.

I'm not saying Ireland is above criticism. I happen to believe this team still has two dire needs: OLine and CB. I know we have the draft to address those needs, but I cringe at the thought of starting two rookies at CB on day one. And right now that is looking like the plan because we have NOBODY worth starting at CB. He needs to address these issues before the season.

Brent Grimes and Antoine Winfield are still on the market. We've got the cap space to sign both of them. I don't like any of the pass rushers that are available in free agency, and there are many, many O-lineman available in the draft. I like the idea of starting a rookie on the line much more than in the secondary.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
Brent Grimes and Antoine Winfield are still on the market. We've got the cap space to sign both of them.

It's not that Ireland has to do something today, but that he has to do it. But it is far easier for observers to feel more confident when something is done.

cspooner13 wrote:
I like the idea of starting a rookie on the line much more than in the secondary.

I TOTALLY agree!

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:18 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:
Brent Grimes and Antoine Winfield are still on the market. We've got the cap space to sign both of them.

It's not that Ireland has to do something today, but that he has to do it. But it is far easier for observers to feel more confident when something is done.

cspooner13 wrote:
I like the idea of starting a rookie on the line much more than in the secondary.

I TOTALLY agree!

We don't have to do anything today, but if we keep pissing around, the opportunity won't be there anymore and we'll end up needing to start rookies both places

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:37 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Reckless No , Desperate Yes.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:24 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

You don't see these stories about other losing teams..

The Titans for instance. Have bought everyone on the market. The Seahawks who gave up way too much for Harvin are applauded.

Waiting for the prices to fall and see what you get from the draft right now is a smart thing.We still have June cut downs for more available talent..

It was pointed out last year about the negative press and has continued this year

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:53 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

cspooner13 wrote:
It can't be that hard to know the details of the team you write about. The national media is one thing, but the writers down in Miami have been just as critical of the team and the moves we've pulled in free agency

Really? I haven't seen a lot of criticism at all from the Miami writers. If anything I've seen them give the thumbs up for landing Wallace and Keller while also getting younger and faster at linebacker. The only thing I've seen them criticize is how stubborn Philbin is with character issues.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:13 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:

Why desperate? Just curious.

I originally thought that but when I saw the guaranteed money in the contracts it changed my thinking ie they can get out of them after 2 seasons.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:17 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter Mar 26 - 10:02 PM

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Patriots won't trade Ryan Mallett for less than a first-round pick, or "maybe" a second. Rapoport is a former Patriots beat reporter. The Pats are remarkably adept at pumping up their backup quarterbacks' value through the media, but it does stand to reason they'd want more than the third-round pick they originally spent on Mallett in any trade. We'd still guess the "maybe" on a second-rounder is closer "probably." Despite Tuesday's signing of 32-year-old backup Jason Campbell, we suspect Cleveland remains all ears on Mallett's availability.

And then the other perspective of the media.....

Here we have a yet another Billicheat rump swab trying to sell an back up with no value to the highest bidder......Mallet has done nothing to show value or even have merit to such a story...He was bad in last preseason so he's worth a 1st round pick.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:04 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rapoport was a Boston guy and Bellichick definitely likes him. That said, I do think Mallett is a guy who needed to mature a bit and offers a skill set that might bring a team some success.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:33 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jammer wrote:
Rapoport was a Boston guy and Bellichick definitely likes him. That said, I do think Mallett is a guy who needed to mature a bit and offers a skill set that might bring a team some success.

Maybe if he actually showed something.....Two bad preseasons don't equal a 1st or 2nd round pick....

The Brownies better not do it......

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:36 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:
jammer wrote:

Maybe if he actually showed something.....Two bad preseasons don't equal a 1st or 2nd round pick....

I don't think they will for that price. I think they lost their 2nd round pick anyway because they took the Baylor WR in the supplemental draft.

They just signed Jason Campbell so I could see the Brown letting Weeden and Campbell compete while maybe using a mid round pick on Tyler Bray if he falls. He seems to be the Mallett of this class...all the tools but needs maturing.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:57 am

jammer wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Why desperate? Just curious.

I originally thought that but when I saw the guaranteed money in the contracts it changed my thinking ie they can get out of them after 2 seasons.

Just think he is on the hot seat. If he does not produce a winner this season I feel he is done. Last year of contract as well. Just my opinion.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

These are the same guys who will praise him if his moves are a hit, without acknowledging what they previously wrote.

They are fence jumpers & one should pay little to no attention to what they write. They are us with a larger platform.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:44 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
Just think he is on the hot seat. If he does not produce a winner this season I feel he is done. Last year of contract as well. Just my opinion.

He is definitely on the hot seat! I think he is responding extremely well. NFL history is full of hot seat success stories.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:03 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

rodneyfaile wrote:
He is definitely on the hot seat! I think he is responding extremely well. NFL history is full of hot seat success stories.

Who? I do not know of any right of the top of my head.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:13 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Hey Kev, the Patriots have this knack of pulling off trades and/or picking up great draft picks. I think back to the ridiculous trade that the Raiders did where NE sent 7 year veteran Richard Seymour to them for like a 1st & 3rd or something dumbfounded like that. I get that he was a pro-bowler, but clearly his best days behind him.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:18 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kev1321 wrote:
The Seahawks who gave up way too much for Harvin are applauded.
Cash or in trade?

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:21 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

Who? I do not know of any right of the top of my head.

They were calling to fire Tom Coughlin before he won the Super Bowl. That is just the first one off the top of my head.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rodneyfaile wrote:
FINesse wrote:

What exactly has Ross said to indicate he is on the hot seat? He has spoken of consistency.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:
FINesse wrote:

What exactly has Ross said to indicate he is on the hot seat? He has spoken of consistency.

If they don't have a good season, or better yet if they don't start the season well, he will be on the hot seat very quickly. That is practically the same thing as already being on the hot seat. This year is make or break for him.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:24 pm
Profile WWW

when your in the final year of your contract with no talk of extension I would say that is being on the hot seat. well maybe every other place but miami.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
when your in the final year of your contract with no talk of extension I would say that is being on the hot seat. well maybe every other place but miami.

Remind me when the last time you heard about extension talks for a GM before it happened

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:07 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

It is good to see every now and then that a non-Dolphin site actually "gets it".

Quote:
All the pundits who are criticizing the Dolphins for treading water with their linebacker signings confounds me. They talk about the big contracts but fail to recognize a simple fact; the Dolphins got younger and avoided cap problems in the near future and did so very economically. The real cost for Ellerbe was his money minus Dansby's money. The same thing goes for Wheeler, his real cost was his money minus Burnett's money (the cap impact is a little more complicated since it needs to be adjusted for money brought forward because of their early release) . The Fins also avoided a situation where in a couple of years the older linebackers could be underperforming vis-a-vis their contracts at a time when the Dolphins could be in cap trouble instead of having cap room.

http://www.900footballlinks.net/2013jaymock.htm

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:22 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Dphins4me wrote:
These are the same guys who will praise him if his moves are a hit, without acknowledging what they previously wrote.

They are fence jumpers & one should pay little to no attention to what they write. They are us with a larger platform.

Well put. Talking Head Expert is a profession without accountability.

I'm so excited about this season. On paper, who has had a better offseason than the Dolphins? And now we have a number one corner! Ireland and Coach will have so much flexibility in the draft because of all the heavy lifting they've done in FA.

Where's that 11-5 bus? I'd like to get on now.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:32 am

That 11-5 bus is now the 13-3 dream team express. Come February we will be standing alone. I really dont see a team beating us. I would go as far to say I would take a guy like Tannehill who will clearly be one of the greats over an aging Manning or Brady.
And as a Yankee fan I have dealt with the buying championships complaint all my life so those who will bring that up I say their point is useless. Its what sports have become.

While I see the moves as a bit desperate as I said earlier they are not reckless , almost an admission that we have truly sucked all these years. Now opposing fans look at the schedule & when they see us on it they will pencil it in as a loss.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:08 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dolphins fans have more reason for optimism than a lot of other teams right now. Think how jets fans are feeling.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
That 11-5 bus is now the 13-3 dream team express. Come February we will be standing alone. I really dont see a team beating us. I would go as far to say I would take a guy like Tannehill who will clearly be one of the greats over an aging Manning or Brady.
And as a Yankee fan I have dealt with the buying championships complaint all my life so those who will bring that up I say their point is useless. Its what sports have become.

While I see the moves as a bit desperate as I said earlier they are not reckless , almost an admission that we have truly sucked all these years. Now opposing fans look at the schedule & when they see us on it they will pencil it in as a loss.

There are a few risks that could derail this train:

1) Tannehill does not take a step forward
2) Same goes for Miller
3) several player we have just signed are coming off significant injuries
4) guys don't fit into the system or just plain don't work out

Having said that, I'm more confident about going 11-5 than I have been in 15+ offseasons.

As for buying a team, history remembers who won. That's all. So put your team together however you want and win.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I don't think 100% of the free agent signings need to be successfull to consider it a successfull offseason. I'm sure something won't work as well as planned, but I believe there will be an overall improvement.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:

As much as I would LOVE to see it, and as much as I love every move that we have made in the offseason so far, I think that 13-3 may be a bit ambitious

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:22 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

9-7 will be satisfactory in Tannehill's second season. 10 wins would make me ecstatic.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:06 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
9-7 will be satisfactory in Tannehill's second season. 10 wins would make me ecstatic.

That's more like it. I think 9-7 or 10-6 is far more likely than 13-3

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:10 am
Profile WWW

Please , after these moves this team is looking to win THIS year. 9-7 especially with no playoff appearance you just might see the end of the great Jeff Ireland tenure here. By saying 9-7 it seems to me like a purposely low expectation to either make the chemistry excuse , 2nd year coach & QB excuse or if the team does better than that the we are just that awesome statement with all the usual homer praise. its a win now league & all these moves say that. Had we not sucked for so long these moves would not be necessary nor would all that cap space be available. So much for being so close while having a losing record. At least management finally realized that even if the disillusion fans refused to. If we dont win and lose out to San Francisco on that 50th anniversary super bowl bid & Ross cannot line his pockets the crap might surely hit the fan.
Im not sure how 9-7 can be praised when each & every move has been applauded.
In the AFC we can & will be elite.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next