View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Mock Draft 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Mock Draft
Few disclaimers before I begin. I've never done this before so its a chance to have some fun and let you guys pick it apart. I'm including trades and will only do the first round. Before you read any further I can already promise that most of you will tell me I'm out of my mind. Don't worry, I hear it on a daily basis. I'm also making the choices based on that I think Miami will sign Grimes and a DE before the draft, AND I think they will trade Bess to get another mid round pick. Here goes:

1. Philadelphia - Luke Joeckel - I think the writing is on the wall.

2. Jacksonville - Dion Jordan - help make their defense a part of their offense since Gabbert is terrible and Henne isn't taking them the distance.

3. TRADE!!! - Miami sends Oakland a haul to leap frog Philadelphia and ensure they get the premiere tackle in Eric Fisher.

Explanation: Throw out the darn draft value chart, Oakland needs picks!!! I found Ireland's comment the other day telling when he said you don't lose Jake Long without feeling the loss. He'll continue to be aggressive in giving Tannehill everything he needs to succeed. Miami has 11 picks, and plenty of cap room to sign stop gap vets so why not go for the gold. Oakland can take pennies on the dollar because they need draft picks and ammunition to trade for Matt Flynn after they cut Carson Palmer. And as I said earlier I expect Miami to deal Bess, probably netting another 4th rounder. This is the perfect draft for Oakland to drop back and not lose too much value.

4. Philadelphia - Star Lotulelei - Kelly needs a big guy to power Philly's D-line.

5. Detroit - Dee Miliner - Best guy on the board, can't pass that up.

6. Cleveland - Jarvis Jones - Jones and Krueger just sounds awesome.

7. Arizona - Lane Johnson - need to protect Stanton or Palmer (my guess)

8. Buffalo - Cordarelle Patterson - Nassib is the QB, this is his weapon.

9. NYJ - Barkevious Mingo - Fills the pass rush void

10. Tennessee - Chance Warmack - Gives Locker a nice line with Levitre.

11. San Diego - Jonathan Cooper - BPA and helps an awful line.

12. Oakland - Geno Smith - Lady Luck finally smiles again on Oaktown.

13. Tampa - Xavier Rhodes - Fills a big need.

14. Carolina - Shariff Floyd - have to be thrilled he's available at this point.

15. New Orleans - Bjoern Werner- needed for a better pass rush

16. St. Louis - Kenny Vacaro - Desperately need a safety.

17. Pittsburgh - Tavon Austin - No Wallace, No Sanders? No problem.

18. Dallas - Sheldon Richardson - Youth is needed for that D-Line.

19. NYG - DJ Fluker - OL needs helps

20. Chicago - Alec Ogletree - hopefully becomes what Urlacher used to be

21. Cincinatti - Desmond Trufant - I like the value here

22. St. Louis - Keenan Allen - he's better than what they currently have.

23. Minnesota - Sylvester Williams - nice value at this point

24. Indianapolis - Matt Elam - a nice secondary piece after Zbikowski leaves

25. Minnesota - Deandre Hopkins - need an immediate compliment to Jennings

26. TRADE!!! - Buffalo moves up to get Ryan Nassib. But what's the point now, there is no competition? Player value is getting muddled and GB has a lot of money they'll be spending on Rodgers and Matthews. They are willing to deal and just want more picks. Jax, Philly, Arizona and NYJ all need QBs still. Plus, lets be honest, Nix is an idiot. GB will probably get a nice package of picks to start filling in OL, CB/S, and TE needs for the future. They always draft well.

27. Houston - Justin Hunter - Patton might be more reliable but I like Hunter.

28. Denver - Manti Te'o - Good scheme fit, good locker room for him

29. TRADE!!! - Jacksonville jumps up to get Matt Barkley. New England is always willing to trade and only falls back a few spots. I could see Jax getting antsy that someone else will make the move so why not get it out of the way. Even better, I bet Gabbert is cut or dealt for a late round pick.

30. Atlanta - Tyler Eifert - Ryan is smiling ear to ear for his long term future

31. San Franciso - Eric Reid - Struggled with this one. Its my mulligan.

32. Baltimore - Kevin Minter - Hopefully succeeds Ray Lewis

So there it is, rip it, change it, add to it, but simply just have fun. Yeah I know the Miami move is out of left field and rather bold, but its better than the same ol' talk of Rhodes, Trufant or Cooper.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:02 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Mock Draft
Think Miami has to many holes to trade all the way up to No. 3

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:23 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I would love it if you replaced the name Fisher with Milliner, if not Tavon Austin #12 for me please!
:yay:

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jammer wrote:

3. TRADE!!! - Miami sends Oakland a haul to leap frog Philadelphia and ensure they get the premiere tackle in Eric Fisher.

The only thing worse than drafting a LT with the #1 overall pick would be to give up "a haul" to draft one at #3.

They need 2 CBs and a LT before they start the season. They don't need to put it all into one LT.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:

Why don't we sign Winston and give Johnathan Martin a chance to play LT? I don't mean the few starts he got when Long was hurt, I mean draft a LT in the 2nd or 3rd and allow Martin to compete in camp to win the job. Why draft a LT high when we have somebody capapble of doing the job. I don't remember too many 1st rd LT's that started from day 1 who didn't give up any sacks their first year!

Sponsored by the draft Tavon Austin #12 Foundation :grin:

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:03 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

These are all reasonable and expected responses. Again I tried to be outside of the box a bit. This draft only has a few elite talents and I think Fisher is one of them. What did Jonathan Martin prove last year? Not much. I took into consideration a lot of discussion here about his lack of strength and how that is something that doesn't just change overnight. If Miami was really in on Long til the end then obviously they aren't comfortable with Martin at LT.

This season and Ireland's future depend on the success of Tannehill. Are they really going to leave the protection of that investment and this regime to a question mark who couldn't really handle the right side?

The big question mark is for this mock is how much does that move cost? This is a weird draft and there isn't and RG III that will spark a multiple 1st round pick trade. Oakland is desperate for picks so I'm wondering if Miami can get away with a steal. Outside of Tavon Austin, the guys we are talking about some to be late 1st round types. Why not take a chance if the opportunity presents itself?

Btw, I also did this with the thought that Miami will keep one of its 2nd rounders this year to address CB (along with the Grimes assumption). The Lance Louis signing makes me think that the Cooper option is out as well.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:18 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:
These are all reasonable and expected responses. Again I tried to be outside of the box a bit. This draft only has a few elite talents and I think Fisher is one of them. What did Jonathan Martin prove last year? Not much. I took into consideration a lot of discussion here about his lack of strength and how that is something that doesn't just change overnight. If Miami was really in on Long til the end then obviously they aren't comfortable with Martin at LT.

This season and Ireland's future depend on the success of Tannehill. Are they really going to leave the protection of that investment and this regime to a question mark who couldn't really handle the right side?

The big question mark is for this mock is how much does that move cost? This is a weird draft and there isn't and RG III that will spark a multiple 1st round pick trade. Oakland is desperate for picks so I'm wondering if Miami can get away with a steal. Outside of Tavon Austin, the guys we are talking about some to be late 1st round types. Why not take a chance if the opportunity presents itself?

Btw, I also did this with the thought that Miami will keep one of its 2nd rounders this year to address CB (along with the Grimes assumption). The Lance Louis signing makes me think that the Cooper option is out as well.

What about moving up 1 or 2 spots and taking LT Lane Johnson? I don't think he goes as high as people think....Manuel, Glennon and Barkley will creep into the 1st round IMO and one of them will go with Smith in the top 10....All Great news for us!

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:25 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'd rather have Lane Johnson than Fisher. I'd also rather have Rhodes than Fisher.

I'm hoping we stay at 12 and Lane Johnson or Xavier Rhodes is sitting there for us.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:29 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

MdDolfan wrote:
What about moving up 1 or 2 spots and taking LT Lane Johnson? I don't think he goes as high as people think....Manuel, Glennon and Barkley will creep into the 1st round IMO and one of them will go with Smith in the top 10....All Great news for us!

It actually sounds like Johnson is the Tannehill of OTs. Switched positions, still learning, but really came on his senior season. I'm not opposed to it.

Again, I realize what I mocked has less than a 10% chance of happening...probably less than that. Just sounds like Fisher is a great fit for Miami and gives you Jake Long potential at a fraction of the cost.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:37 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I wouldn't be a happy camper. Let's just put it that way.

I think if they move up it might be with Cleveland. The Browns love moving down.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:40 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
I wouldn't be a happy camper. Let's just put it that way.

I think if they move up it might be with Cleveland. The Browns love moving down.

Yeah, in the standings.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:41 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Certainly thinking outside of the box Dan, especially when you consider that Ireland has NEVER traded up while with Miami.

I do agree with Dphins4me when he states that Miami has holes to fill. Ireland seems to want to get even younger and continue to add talent to this roster.

A kid that could be there in the 2nd round at OLT is Terron Armstead, the kid from Arkansas Pine Bluff. He has the speed and quickness to play in the zone blocking system the Dolphins implement. He could even play ORT, as I think the Dolphins are committed to Jonathan Martin at OLT now.

That being said though, it would be interesting to see if Ireland did indeed look to move up to get someone. I don't think he will though.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:22 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
A kid that could be there in the 2nd round at OLT is Terron Armstead, the kid from Arkansas Pine Bluff. He has the speed and quickness to play in the zone blocking system the Dolphins implement. He could even play ORT, as I think the Dolphins are committed to Jonathan Martin at OLT now.

If Miami stays at 12 and takes a CB or Austin then that is the guy I see them looking to get in Rd 2.

Don't forget that there were reports Ireland explored what it would take to move up and get RG III last year. Different player, different need but also this is the year where you probably can move up for less cost.

As I said, I was just having some fun and don't think what I proposed is likely.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:02 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

If Miami stays at 12 and takes a CB or Austin then that is the guy I see them looking to get in Rd 2.

Don't forget that there were reports Ireland explored what it would take to move up and get RG III last year. Different player, different need but also this is the year where you probably can move up for less cost.

As I said, I was just having some fun and don't think what I proposed is likely.

Miami desperately needed a QB last year and Andrew Luck and RGIII were considered the top 2 QB by far.

While will not to give up as much possibly, to move up to #3 would still be costly.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
Certainly thinking outside of the box Dan, especially when you consider that Ireland has NEVER traded up while with Miami.

Did you mean that he has never traded up in the 1st round while with Miami?

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:48 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

AQNOR wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Did you mean that he has never traded up in the 1st round while with Miami?

Yes. I know Miami traded back up in the draft a couple of years ago to get Daniel Thomas, but that was back into the 2nd round I believe.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Yep I think they moved up last year in the 4th to get Miller as well. Maybe he only moves up to get RB? lol

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:33 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

AQNOR wrote:
Yep I think they moved up last year in the 4th to get Miller as well. Maybe he only moves up to get RB? lol

The only time he moved a 1st round pick was in 2010. Coincidentally the other team moved up to get...you guessed it, a RB.

You might be on to something here.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]