View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 CB David Amerson 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post CB David Amerson
Guys, I told you all that Phillip Rivers and Russell Wilson would be really good quarterbacks in the NFL. I'm not too sold on QB Mike Glennon being a starting NFL quarterback as he is projected to be a 1st/2nd round pick. He reminds me too much of Christian Ponder, but he does have ideal size at 6'6" and has a strong arm. I'm just saying that to let you know that I am not a NCSU homer when it comes to evaluating the talent that comes out of my school.

One guy that can be had maybe in the 3rd round would be David Amerson. He had a bad Junior year last year, but I think it was because he was projected as a top 5 pick in this year's draft a year ago and overplayed the position trying to get interceptions. I wouldn't mind drafting him only if we drafted a CB with the first pick or picked up Grimes in free agency. Just throwing that out there to you. Last year we went with Tannehill, so, it didn't make sense to draft Wilson as well. Not sure what we'll do in the draft or free agency for the CB position, but I think this kid will be a good CB in the NFL in a year or so. He'll definitely need time to coach to get him back into the game mentally. I think he should have went back for his senior year.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:46 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: CB David Amerson
Teams are definitely going to have to do there homework on David. He had a special sophmore season with 13 interceptions. He had 5 interceptions this year, so he did not have a total disaster of a season.

That said, it was alarming the number of times he got challenged and beat, and beat deep on a lot of plays last year. Tennessee has a very talented group of wide receivers, and they made it a point to go after Amerson last year with HUGE success. Miami was another game were he got beat for BIG plays.

Being a former cornerback in high school, I realize how much a pass rush can help a DB, and I am not sure NC State created a lot of pressure on the QB. Matter of fact, I am sure they did not with the amount of points they gave up.

That being said, you have to make plays from time to time when the pass rush is not there.

I do love David ball skills, as 18 interceptions in a 2 year stint is VERY impressive. He also has the size and good speed also. Taking him in the 3rd round would be about were he should go.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:48 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm a big fan of this kid. I think he's Sean Smith 2.0, but with better ballskills. I would like to see a scenario where we landed Amerson in the 3rd round and converted him to free safety. I think his skillset would allow him to be an absolute ballhawk at the position. I'd love to see a situation where we get Xavier Rhodes and let him compete with Grimes and Patterson for one of the two starting corner jobs. Then let Amerson compete with Clemons for the free safety position. Then next year when Grimes and Clemons contracts are up we'd draft two more DBs and repeat the competitive process.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:16 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
I think he should have went back for his senior year.

Totally agree.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:04 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Not to step on your boy, Dave, but I'm not an Amerson fan. He's got nice size and ball skills, but he just can't cover, and I don't see him as a fit in a zone defense. He gets beat deep a lot and isn't very fluid.

Totally agree he made a mistake coming out early.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
Not to step on your boy, Dave, but I'm not an Amerson fan. He's got nice size and ball skills, but he just can't cover, and I don't see him as a fit in a zone defense. He gets beat deep a lot and isn't very fluid.

Might be better at safety instead of Cb.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Might be better at safety instead of Cb.

Yeah I agree. He's got good straight line speed and his ball skills are good. Solid tackler.

But at the same time his ability to read plays is one of his biggest flaws. Doesn't play very smart or fast mentally.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:27 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

ya, what's the point of having a ballhawk if he can't cover anybody.
He sounds like Nolan Carroll with better hands.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
I'm a big fan of this kid. I think he's Sean Smith 2.0, but with better ballskills.

I'm not sure that's a compliment to the kid honestly. I was never a big fan of Smith and was happy to see him go. Personally, I like Amerson and would like to see us pick him up if he's available in the 3rd or 4th round.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]