View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 NOW we should trade up for Lane Johnson 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post NOW we should trade up for Lane Johnson
I've been bangin the desk for this move on draft day and it makes all the sense in the world now.

Quote:
After acquiring CB Brent Grimes, NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah believes the Dolphins could trade up for "an elite" LT.
As Jeremiah put it, he "wouldn't be shocked" if the Dolphins took this approach. Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel, and Lane Johnson are widely considered the "elite" prospects at the position. We doubt any of the three make it past the Chargers at No. 11, so the Dolphins would likely jump up a few spots in order to land one.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:27 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: NOW we should trade up for Lane Johnson
You dont trade up for him unless you dont get Winston and you dont see any tackles later that they are sold on

Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:43 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

This draft is stacked with OL, why trade up?

Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:54 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Makchell wrote:

Exactly what im saying

Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:57 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

No......lol

Just no.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:26 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Still draft Trufant!

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:27 pm
Profile WWW

rodneyfaile wrote:
Still draft Trufant!

Definitely still an option.

I think they take 2 CB's in the first 4 rounds. If I had to guess, I'd say they come in rounds 2-4, but I wouldn't be surprised with Trufant at 12.

I think Grimes takes Rhodes off the table. It's clear what type of CB they're looking for, based on their interest (supposedly) in Jordan Poyer, and now signing Grimes. Rhodes isn't it.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Keeping Tannehill best protected should now be priority. Left tackle I wont argue that pick.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:30 pm

Finhead34 wrote:
Keeping Tannehill best protected should now be priority. Left tackle I wont argue that pick.

I agree it's the top priority. Hell, it was my top priority for Free Agency 3 weeks ago. But why would Miami spend and prioritize on skill positions, to then spend their top asset available to them this Off Season on an offensive lineman? Yuck....

You've got a chance to go get a premier player at a premier position....Spending it on a lineman rather than Austin, Eifert, Trufant, Werner, etc. would be a move they'll regret down the road, even if it is the biggest "need" now.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

They can get a decent OT in the 2nd round. They have to get Trufant in the first. If not Trufant then maybe go wild and get Austin.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

how is it stacked at OL? Only 3 blue chip tackles and 2 guards. After that it's weak.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Tannehill finally has the weapons he needs and no blindside protector. My money is on Ireland moving up 3 or 4 spots for Johnson. We have more than enough picks to pull that off and still draft a ton of players after that.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:09 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think it would be a mistake to trade up in the first round to draft any of the "Big 3" O-linemen. What I would do is draft either the explosive playmaker Austin, or Desmond Trufant as we do still need a corner and that's a spot that fits for Trufant. Then I would target Terron Armstead in the second round to fill a hole on the O-line

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:55 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

cspooner13 wrote:
I think it would be a mistake to trade up in the first round to draft any of the "Big 3" O-linemen. What I would do is draft either the explosive playmaker Austin, or Desmond Trufant as we do still need a corner and that's a spot that fits for Trufant. Then I would target Terron Armstead in the second round to fill a hole on the O-line

THIS...........

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I like Armstead too but Johnson is the superior player.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I know everybody here wants Tavon Austin (and I love the kid too) but I don't think he's a realistic option at this point. I think this team feels pretty set at receiver, except for maybe a pick in round 3 for a young WR to develop. And with the signing of Grimes I think tackle jumps corner for our biggest need so I expect Ireland to be aggressive for a top tackle.

Would not surprise me if they move up for Johnson and then take a corner in round 2. Maybe Robert Alford.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:10 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
I know everybody here wants Tavon Austin (and I love the kid too) but I don't think he's a realistic option at this point. I think this team feels pretty set at receiver, except for maybe a pick in round 3 for a young WR to develop. And with the signing of Grimes I think tackle jumps corner for our biggest need so I expect Ireland to be aggressive for a top tackle.

Would not surprise me if they move up for Johnson and then take a corner in round 2. Maybe Robert Alford.

Why is Tavon now unrealistic? There is talk that Miami is looking to trade Davone Bess or possibly release him. Also, Miami seems to be committed to Jonathan Martin at OLT, but we will see before the draft comes around if they make a move for Branden Albert.

Not saying Miami would not move up to get Johnson, we will see.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Why is Tavon now unrealistic? There is talk that Miami is looking to trade Davone Bess or possibly release him. Also, Miami seems to be committed to Jonathan Martin at OLT, but we will see before the draft comes around if they make a move for Branden Albert.

Tony they've spent so much money at the Wide Receiver position between Wallace, Hartline and Gibson. I doubt they will use their top resource in the draft on another wide receiver with glaring holes at offensive tackle and corner. That's Madden type wishful thinking. Not hearing any experts predicting WR for Miami at 12. The game is won with more than just receivers.

And if they do look for a receiver at some point in the draft I would think they would look for a receiver with some size since our core is relatively small. We're lacking a big target for Tannehill. I'm thinking Aaron Dobson or Chris Harper in round 3.
I'd give Tavon Austin a 10% chance at being taken by the Dolphins at this point.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:51 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Tony they've spent so much money at the Wide Receiver position between Wallace, Hartline and Gibson. I doubt they will use their top resource in the draft on another wide receiver with glaring holes at offensive tackle and corner. That's Madden type wishful thinking. Not hearing any experts predicting WR for Miami at 12. The game is won with more than just receivers.

And if they do look for a receiver at some point in the draft I would think they would look for a receiver with some size since our core is relatively small. We're lacking a big target for Tannehill. I'm thinking Aaron Dobson or Chris Harper in round 3.
I'd give Tavon Austin a 10% chance at being taken by the Dolphins at this point.

Madden type wishful thinking? We are talking about a Miami team that averaged 18.0 points a game and was ranked 27 in the NFL in offense. As far as a receiver of size on the team, Armon Binns did play and contribute last year and he is 6'3, 210 lbs. He did not play last year, but Jeff Fuller knows this offense and could be a factor this year. He is 6'4, 223 lbs, so the Dolphins do have a couple of receivers on the team with size.

Miami very well could look to address OL, as there has to be concerns about Jonathan Martin. That being said, they did invest a 2nd round pick in a guy that was a borderline 1st round talent. The thought is they will look to move Martin to his natural position of OLT now that Jake Long is a Ram. The fact that they would like to sign Eric Winston indicates as much.

Also, I have beat the drums on this site a many of times trying to make the point that the OL has to be addressed and you win games up front. I certainly know the game is won with more than receivers and skilled position people. I certainly don't need to be told that.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I doubt Armon Binns or Fuller are gonna make the 53-man roster now with the new additions.
We might not have scored alot last year but the offense has already been drastically improved with Wallace, Keller and Gibson. Everyone seems to be ignoring tackle for the sake of Tavon Austin.
I know nobody wants an offensive linemen in the 1st round but the way they spent their money in free agency on receivers and now a top corner, the smart money is on either offensive tackle or defensive end.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:48 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
I agree it's the top priority. Hell, it was my top priority for Free Agency 3 weeks ago. But why would Miami spend and prioritize on skill positions, to then spend their top asset available to them this Off Season on an offensive lineman? Yuck....

You've got a chance to go get a premier player at a premier position....Spending it on a lineman rather than Austin, Eifert, Trufant, Werner, etc. would be a move they'll regret down the road, even if it is the biggest "need" now.

Offensive tackle is a premiere position. Why do you think so many get taken in the top 10?
That's whats happening again this year.

Quote:
But why would Miami spend and prioritize on skill positions, to then spend their top asset available to them this Off Season on an offensive lineman? Yuck....

This is a contradicting statement. It's exactly why you would use the pick on a tackle. To protect what you just spent all of your money on and to protect your young franchise signal caller.

Last edited by swerve13 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:47 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
According to Profootballtalk.com, "some" people around the league believe West Virginia WR Tavon Austin's over-under in April's draft is pick No. 15.
The Rams pick at No. 16 and the feeling around the league is ostensibly that Austin wouldn't get past their selection. The Saints have the 15th pick. New Orleans seems more likely to focus on defense in the first round, but could be stationed in a bit of a "hotspot" for a team like the pick-rich 49ers to trade into. Pre-draft rumors have San Francisco interested in a move up for Austin.

-Rotoworld

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:47 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
Madden type wishful thinking? We are talking about a Miami team that averaged 18.0 points a game and was ranked 27 in the NFL in offense. As far as a receiver of size on the team, Armon Binns did play and contribute last year and he is 6'3, 210 lbs. He did not play last year, but Jeff Fuller knows this offense and could be a factor this year. He is 6'4, 223 lbs, so the Dolphins do have a couple of receivers on the team with size.

Miami very well could look to address OL, as there has to be concerns about Jonathan Martin. That being said, they did invest a 2nd round pick in a guy that was a borderline 1st round talent. The thought is they will look to move Martin to his natural position of OLT now that Jake Long is a Ram. The fact that they would like to sign Eric Winston indicates as much.

Also, I have beat the drums on this site a many of times trying to make the point that the OL has to be addressed and you win games up front. I certainly know the game is won with more than receivers and skilled position people. I certainly don't need to be told that.

What I would like to see Miami do is take Austin with the pick at 12, package a deal (a 2, 3, and possibly 5) to get back into the first and take Blidi. Then with the remaining picks in the 2nd and 3rd pick up Terron Armstead and La'Veon Bell

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:03 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/3/26/4 ... ne-johnson

Quote:
Look, everyone here is entitled to their opinion, and if someone doesn't like the thought of drafting offensive linemen early, that's absolutely fine. If someone believes first-round picks should be used on positions that directly generate points, that's also fine. But to suggest that it's a poor decision to draft an offensive lineman in the first round is wrong. To suggest that offensive lineman don't make a difference in today's game is wrong. To suggest that we take a cavalier approach to refining the offense line, especially now that the Dolphins actually have a quarterback worth protecting, is just clown shoes.

None of that is to suggest that a team should take just any lineman available in the top 10 or 15, and if you have a choice between a quarterback and a top-flight offensive lineman, for the love of God, take the quarterback. We've witnessed first-hand what can happen otherwise.

On the contrary, if you have a franchise quarterback in tow, it's almost always a good idea to at least consider bringing in a franchise-caliber offensive lineman

------------------------------------------

All of this brings us to the No. 3 overall tackle in this year's draft: Oklahoma's Lane Johnson. Several reports indicate that the Dolphins would like themselves some L.J. at the No. 12 spot, but it's highly, highly, highly (!!!) unlikely he slides that far. Of the first 11 picks in this draft, at least nine belong to a team with considerable issues somewhere along its offensive line, and Johnson's length and rare athleticism should serve as virtual catnip to teams like the Lions (No. 5 pick), Cardinals (No. 7) and tackle-starved Chargers (No. 11). Still, it's tasty to imagine Johnson cracking skulls in a Dolphins uniform (while wearing Keith Sims' No. 69, no less), and his presence on the offensive line would probably help Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin sleep at night.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:51 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
He is listed as the third best offensive lineman on the majority of draft boards, coming in behind Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher. Johnson may not be as polished as his draft board cohorts, but he is every bit as talented.
Johnson is extremely athletic for his size, with nimble feet he can use to stay with pass rushers coming around the edge. If they come at him with strength, Johnson has more than enough to meet them head on. He uses his hands well, controlling defenders without drawing many flags. Thanks to his strength, speed and flexibility, Johnson has everything it takes to become a solid NFL left tackle.
As important as the pass protection is, Johnson is also very good at run blocking. The same traits that help him in the passing game make him excel when creating lanes, or setting the edge.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/03/3 ... yKVrG6E.99

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:57 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
All of this brings us to the No. 3 overall tackle in this year's draft: Oklahoma's Lane Johnson. Several reports indicate that the Dolphins would like themselves some L.J. at the No. 12 spot, but it's highly, highly, highly (!!!) unlikely he slides that far. Of the first 11 picks in this draft, at least nine belong to a team with considerable issues somewhere along its offensive line, and Johnson's length and rare athleticism should serve as virtual catnip to teams like the Lions (No. 5 pick), Cardinals (No. 7) and tackle-starved Chargers (No. 11). Still, it's tasty to imagine Johnson cracking skulls in a Dolphins uniform (while wearing Keith Sims' No. 69, no less), and his presence on the offensive line would probably help Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin sleep at night.

I feel the same way about Terron Armstead honestly. He performed almost exactly the same as Johnson at the combine, with Armstead running slightly faster, putting up 3 more reps in the bench, and a half-foot more in the vert. Johnson had slightly better numbers in the broad jump, 3 cone and 20-yard shuttle. I feel like they're a lot closer than most "experts" say and would love to see Miami address other needs in the first round and pick up Armstead in the 3rd likely.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:03 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

What purpose does it serve trading up for a so called "elite" tackle? 1st Rd OL are not what get teams to the SB. Its play makers. Pouncey has been great, but Miami is not winning because of him.

Miami needs play makers.

After FA Miami still lacks speed & needs a pass rusher/CB, not OL. They can address OL in Rd. 2. If a pass rusher is not worth the 12th pick go offensive play maker & even though I'm on record of saying I do not believe he will be picked this high, go Austin & trade Bess ( If possible ).

That would put Wallace, Hartline, Gibson on the outside. Austin in the slot & Keller & maybe Clay coming out of the backfield. Hard to cover all of them

Miami needs to get off this OLman high in Rd. 1.

To borrow from another poster on another board.
Only one 1st Rd LT has made the SB over the last 11 Yrs and he was drafted at 19 in Rd. 1.

Miami needs TDs, not OLman.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:36 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

phinsfansc wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

THIS...........

We've addressed a lot of 1 year band-aids in free agency this year. I don't think it is our intention to keep them on after this year as it would be very expensive. We will have to address many positions in the draft this year, but we do not look to be desperate to any teams entering the draft except for OT. My guess is that Ireland will add an OT before free agency is over.

This frees up Ireland to take some chances on some real playmakers. If we scout smartly we can add a good OT in round 2.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:45 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

We've addressed a lot of 1 year band-aids in free agency this year. I don't think it is our intention to keep them on after this year as it would be very expensive. We will have to address many positions in the draft this year, but we do not look to be desperate to any teams entering the draft except for OT. My guess is that Ireland will add an OT before free agency is over.

This frees up Ireland to take some chances on some real play makers. If we scout smartly we can add a good OT in round 2.

I agree Dave and I agree with Tony as well. Personally, if a play maker and/or projected immediate day one starter is there at pick 12, you take him.

However, all in all, I would be happy with Austin, Eifert or LT Johnson for offensive choices and Trufant, possibly Rhodes for defensive pick. One way or another I am MORE concerned with Miami NOT missing on this one. Take a guy that will provide IMMEDIATE value.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:12 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

swerve13 wrote:
Makchell wrote:

how is it stacked at OL? Only 3 blue chip tackles and 2 guards. After that it's weak.

No........ its absolutely stacked on the line and in the secondary but there are those 5 olineman who are elite but the 2nd round has very good players also...... there is more then 1 round in the draft you know

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:35 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I honestly think its going to be Eifert or Austin. I'm leaning more toward Eifert because Miami doesn't have a long term option at TE unless Egnew miraculously toughened up with his MMA training.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:44 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

If I was a GM in the NFL I wouldn't trade up and lose draft picks. Only for rare talent.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:02 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
I agree Dave and I agree with Tony as well. Personally, if a play maker and/or projected immediate day one starter is there at pick 12, you take him.

However, all in all, I would be happy with Austin, Eifert or LT Johnson for offensive choices and Trufant, possibly Rhodes for defensive pick. One way or another I am MORE concerned with Miami NOT missing on this one. Take a guy that will provide IMMEDIATE value.
Miami passed on playmaker Bryant two yrs ago for Odrick & Misi. While both have been decent players, neither is a game changer like Bryant has been. Yes, I know Bryant had other issues, but that is not my point. My point is. When play makers are there to be had & especially if you have a need. Get the guys that put the ball in the endzone.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:16 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

ag_fin_90 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Makchell wrote:

No........ its absolutely stacked on the line and in the secondary but there are those 5 olineman who are elite but the 2nd round has very good players also...... there is more then 1 round in the draft you know

explain to me how ii is absolutely deep at O-line? Because it is not at all. Sure you can get a guard in any round, but this draft sucks at offensive tackle.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cspooner13 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

I feel the same way about Terron Armstead honestly. He performed almost exactly the same as Johnson at the combine, with Armstead running slightly faster, putting up 3 more reps in the bench, and a half-foot more in the vert. Johnson had slightly better numbers in the broad jump, 3 cone and 20-yard shuttle. I feel like they're a lot closer than most "experts" say and would love to see Miami address other needs in the first round and pick up Armstead in the 3rd likely.

except Armstead played against nobody in college. I would feel more comfortable with Johnson. And there's no guarantee Armstead in available with our 2nd pick. Then what?

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:07 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Kyle Long has played both ORT and OLT along with OG. Tremendously versatile kid that will be there in the 2nd round also.

There a chance he could go in the 1st round, but Menelik Watson of FSU could slip into the 2nd round as well.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:15 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Dphins4me wrote:
Miami passed on playmaker Bryant two yrs ago for Odrick & Misi. While both have been decent players, neither is a game changer like Bryant has been. Yes, I know Bryant had other issues, but that is not my point. My point is. When play makers are there to be had & especially if you have a need. Get the guys that put the ball in the endzone.

The same could be said for Long over Ryan.

It's time to take risks on playmakers.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

We won't need to trade up for Johnson. I don't think there is one elite offensive line prospect in this years draft outside of say Warmack and Cooper (guards). While Joeckel is a good prospect, he's not the elite prospect that Long was a few years ago. Heck, just a couple of months ago he was slated to go in the middle of the first round. Now all of a sudden because the quarterback crop has shown to be weak he's propelled himself all the way up to a top five pick. Joeckel strikes me as more of a technique guy, he's not a big mauler like Long was. Same goes for Fisher and Johnson, both of them are more technique guys, they're not really that prototypical dominant LT that most people are looking for in the top ten pick. They all have elite pass protection skills, which is why everyone has them going early, but none of them seem to have elite run blocking skills. I think if the Dolphins stay put Johson will be sitting there when they pick at 12, at least that's what I'm hoping for. Or, I'm hoping Joeckel slides outside of the top five, or some team falls in love with Fisher and he goes before Joeckel. In that case, I'd love to see the Dolphins trade up to pick 5-7 and try to get Joeckel. But otherwise, I'd rather see them stay put and hope Johnson is still there.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Ha! Joeckel's the best player in the entire draft. Fisher 4th or 5th and Johnson around 9th.
No elite linemen my butt!

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Ha! Joeckel's the best player in the entire draft. Fisher 4th or 5th and Johnson around 9th.
No elite linemen my butt!

Just because he's the 2nd highest rated player in the draft doesn't make him worthy of the 1st overall pick. Jake Long and Joe Thomas were much better prospects coming out of college and the Dolphins and Chiefs didn't have a franchise caliber left tackle like Albert when they were picking 1st overall.

If the Chiefs can't move Albert, they'd be basically using the 1st overall pick on a RT, because right now I don't think Joeckel is better than Albert. In addition, the Chiefs use a man blocking scheme, not a zone blocking scheme. So Joeckel would have to learn a new blocking scheme that doesn't fit his skillset. He's a technician, not a mauler like Albert. I think Joeckel is a bad fit for the Chiefs. He's a much better fit with the Eagles at 4 or the Cardinals at 7.

Fisher has the skillset, but he played his entire college career against inferior competition for the most part. Who knows if he'll be able to handle the huge leap from a smaller program to the NFL. I think he's more right than left tackle material.

Johnson while he's got elite pass protection skills, I've read several reviews that say he needs to bulk up and build upper body strength. They say he could eventually be a good LT, but that it might be beneficial for him to play at RT for a while until he's had time to build NFL level strength. In other words, he's like Martin.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next