View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Brent Grimes strikes deal with Dolphins 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Brent Grimes strikes deal with Dolphins
Quote:
Franchised a year ago by the Falcons, cornerback Brent Grimes was a free agent in 2013.

And now he’s no longer a free agent.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Grimes has agreed to terms on a one-year deal with the Dolphins.

The contract is worth $5.5 million, which puts him near the top of this year’s pathetic cornerback market — and which gives him another crack at getting paid again in 2014

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -dolphins/

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:17 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Brent Grimes strikes deal with Dolphins
yeah I just got the news as well from ESPN, now there is more wiggle room with that #12 pick

:yay:

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:18 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Nice signing and a solid cornerback is in the fold.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:22 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kinda surprised at the amount, but good signing.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:47 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I like it! Hope hes fully recovered cuz he can be a stud

Kinda feels like a team of mercenaries but nobody says they can't get a better contract with us next year. In fact, if guys like Grimes & Keller are playing exceptionally better then any rookies we may of just drafted then I expect us to offer extensions by December

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:55 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Steve Zissou wrote:
I like it! Hope hes fully recovered cuz he can be a stud

Kinda feels like a team of mercenaries but nobody says they can't get a better contract with us next year. In fact, if guys like Grimes & Keller are playing exceptionally better then any rookies we may of just drafted then I expect us to offer extensions by December

Both of these guys are coming off of injuries, so they wanted one year contracts to try to prove themselves healthy and get back on the market.

As you said, if they do play well, Miami could re-sign them, especially Keller. They did offer him a multi-year deal.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:59 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Some information on Brent. Rich will post some additional information as he has with all the free agents that the Dolphins have signed. This is from the Miami Herald.

"Grimes, 29, was a Pro Bowler for Atlanta in 2010 but suffered a season-ending Achilles' injury in the first game last season.

### Don't underestimate how solid Grimes was before the injury. In 2011, Pro Football Focus ranked his play third among cornerbacks, behind only Darrelle Revis and Cortland Finnegan.

Quarterbacks had only a 62.9 rating when throwing into his coverage area, completing only 44.6 percent of the passes thrown against him (25 for 56) for a 10.3 average yards per completion. He allowed two touchdowns and had one interception.

Sean Smith, whom Grimes is essentially replacing, was ranked 105th by PFF in 2011 and 74th last year."

### In 2010, Grimes was ranked 10th among all cornerbacks by PFF, with quarterbacks producing only a 61.3 rating when throwing in his coverage area. He allowed four TDs but also had five picks.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:14 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I like this move. Now I want to see us draft Rhodes in the 1st and Amerson in the 3rd. Then Rhodes can compete with Grimes and Patterson for a starting corner job and Amerson can compete with Clemons for the starting free safety job.
Then next year when Grimes contract is up, we can either re-sign him, or draft another corner in the 1st round and let the competitive process repeat.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:19 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
By Omar Kelly Sun Sentinel

11:18 a.m. EDT, March 30, 2013

The Miami Dolphins have signed veteran cornerback Brent Grimes to a one-year deal that could be worth as much as $5.5 million according to ProFootballTalk.com.

According to the website, Grimes' contract includes a $2.25 million signing bonus, and $750,000 of the base salary is guaranteed.

The Dolphins had roughly $20 million left to spend on free agents and draft picks before this week's additions of guard Lance Louis and defensive tackle Vaughn Martin.

"His experience and history of play making production will add a great deal to our secondary," General Manager Jeff Ireland said when announcing the move.

Grimes, who spent all six of his seasons with the Atlanta Falcons, missed all but one game last season because of an Achilles injury he suffered in the season opener. He'll likely spend most of this summer rehabbing the tricky injury, which limits quick movements in the leg.
Ads by Google
Before the injury Grimes, who turns 30 in July, was viewed as one of the NFL's better zone cornerbacks. He was a Pro Bowl selection in 2010. The Falcons placed the franchise tag on him last offseason, preventing Grimes from hitting the free agent market.

During his six seasons with the Falcons Grimes started 43 games and contributed 222 tackles, 13 interceptions, 56 pass deflections and forced one fumble.

In 2011, which was Grimes last healthy NFL season, he was rated by ProFootballFocus.com as the third best cornerback in the NFL.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 3400.story

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:58 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/ ... g-healthy/

Only one small clip, but this is during his current rehab of his achilles injury.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v46hO-KJWjY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZlhR2r0G7g

More Brent Grimes post injury rehab workout clips.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Information on NFL players and achilles tears .....

Quote:
Compared to the general population, athletes in the National Football League (NFL) are at increased risk for injury because the game involves explosive acceleration and sudden changes in direction.3 Very little is known about the epidemiology of Achilles tendon ruptures in the NFL. Utilizing data publicly available on the Internet, one retrospective review identified 31 Achilles tendon ruptures in NFL players over a five-year period (5.2 injuries/year).3 During the 2008-2009 NFL season, six players suffered season-ending Achilles tendon ruptures. Although the incidence of Achilles rupture is low, 0.93% per NFL game, nearly 36% of affected players never return to playing at the NFL level.3

Parekh et al used a player’s power rating as a measure of functional outcome in the evaluation of “skill players” in the NFL, which included defensive tackles, cornerbacks, linebackers, wide receivers, and running backs.3 The power rating is a measure of a player’s performance using statistics gathered during game play, such as passing and rushing yards for an offensive player and tackles and interceptions for a defensive player. This study showed that 31 acute Achilles tendon ruptures occurred in NFL players between 1997 and 2002. The average age of a player sustaining a rupture was 29, with an average career before injury spanning six years.

Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury.

The percentage of players returning to play at the NFL level is consistent with a meta-analysis performed by Bhandari4 in 2002. The authors reported return to function rates of 63% for patients treated nonoperatively and 71% for those treated operatively. If we assume that all the NFL players were treated operatively, as would be the standard for young athletes, the return to play rate of 64% is slightly lower than the 71% reported in the meta-analysis. This difference could be attributed to the excessive demands placed on the operatively repaired Achilles tendon in NFL players combined with a body size, strength, and explosiveness that would further increase these demands.

The length of time to allow full activity after Achilles tendon repair is generally thought to be four to six months.4-6 The 11 months needed to return to play as a professional football player seems considerably longer. However, there is a major difference between allowing full activity and returning to play in the NFL. Even when the typical patient is allowed to participate in full activity, it does not mean that he or she is adequately rehabilitated to perform at maximal efforts. Studies to determine maximal improvement after surgical treatment are lacking in the orthopedic literature.

Furthermore, in the reviewed 21 NFL skill players who returned to play, there were significant decreases in games played per season (11.67 games per year pre-injury versus 6.17 games per year postinjury) when averaged over the three seasons before the injury and the three seasons after the injury.3 There were also decreases averaging nearly 50% in power ratings of the returning players for the three seasons after the injury compared to the three seasons before the injury. These data indicate that even in players able to return to their former level of play, the quality of play may suffer permanently.

http://lowerextremityreview.com/article ... on-rupture

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Bengals corner tore his achilles in 2011. Came back for first day of training camp and was back in the starting lineup opening day. Of course, everyone is different, but there is promise Grimes will revert back to form.

http://www.ourtown.com/cincipulse/artic ... award.html

Hall’s 2011 season was cut short, when in Game 9, Nov 13 vs. Pittsburgh, he suffered a torn Achilles tendon. Bengals head athletic trainer Paul Sparling said that, due to the nature of the injury, early projections from the Bengals’ medical staff had Hall starting the ’12 season on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

But Hall’s intense rehabilitation efforts sped his recovery so much that he “far surpassed that initial timeline,” Sparling said, enabling him to fully participate in practice on the first day of training camp – less than nine months removed from the injury. He was in the Bengals’ starting lineup on opening day of this season.

“Leon approached the rehabilitation from his Achilles tendon injury last season with determination to beat the odds and return to play by the start of the season,” Sparling said. “He put forth the effort, time and energy in his recovery and rehabilitation to give himself the best chance to do just that.

“He set a great example of what it takes to be able to overcome a challenge, which was recognized by his teammates in being selected to represent the club for this award.”

Hall, a sixth-year pro, has played and started 12 of 14 games this season, missing two games early in the year due to a calf strain. He has totals of 38 tackles, 10 passes defensed (second on team) and two special teams tackles. He has one INT this season, coming Dec. 13 at Philadelphia, when his pick and subsequent 44-yard return set up a Bengals TD, shifting the momentum in what resulted in a 34-13 Bengals victory.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

excellent corner! Great job Ireland!

Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:18 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

swerve13 wrote:

Definitely a good move and worth the $5.5 million as far as what other corners are making. I don't expect him to play as well as he did before his injury to start off the season as a torn ACL may slow him down a bit, but he is playing in a contract year. We will get his best.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

torn ACL may slow him down a bit,

It was an achilles injury.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:18 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Good move and a good deal.
I find it funny how certain posters around here find issue with nearly every single player we sign or draft. I don't have to like every guy we get, but I certainly don't think it's necessary to constantly be critical of everything the team does. Just an observation.

Hopefully he can return to an acceptable level of what he was before. He may not ever be a top 3 corner again, but I'd settle for a top 30.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phin wrote:
I find it funny how certain posters around here find issue with nearly every single player we sign or draft. I don't have to like every guy we get, but I certainly don't think it's necessary to constantly be critical of everything the team does. Just an observation.

Hopefully he can return to an acceptable level of what he was before. He may not ever be a top 3 corner again, but I'd settle for a top 30.

the worst move the Dolphins made this offseason was the logo. :)

Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Ireland addressed most of the holes. CB was a position I was beginning to worry about. Hopefully Grimes will recover to his pre-injury form. But he brings some much needed depth to the secondary.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:17 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Big Dave wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Definitely a good move and worth the $5.5 million as far as what other corners are making. I don't expect him to play as well as he did before his injury to start off the season as a torn ACL may slow him down a bit, but he is playing in a contract year. We will get his best.

Its become comical how much Rotoworld is hating on our team -
Quote:
Despite turning 30 later this year and coming off a torn Achilles' tendon, Grimes actually got one of the better contracts in this year's pathetic cornerback market. (To no one's surprise, the Dolphins paid above market value -- again.)
. I truly like this move & to object to Rotoworlds "opinions" I have to make the point that the worst thing that Ireland and the Dolphins couldve done this offseason would be to Not spend money. This could be a great get for us.
I know it gets frustrating for some people here to read things like that but its become entertaining to me. I enjoy Rotoworld for their fantasy baseball updates and some football news but they're staff certainly chooses & rides their favorites through out sports seasons. Ex: Pats resigned Talib, who's never played a full season, for 1 year & 5M but its considered savvy. Laughable.
I think you're right Dave. If Grimes can get close to what he was then he should thrive in our scheme & that will be best for both sides

Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rotoworld also went on to say that he's one of the best in the league, so wo cares if we did overpay.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:08 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

swerve13 wrote:
Rotoworld also went on to say that he's one of the best in the league, so wo cares if we did overpay.

1 year deal for 5 million when we had 22 million in cap space....

In what world is that over paying?

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

$5.5 Million. About $ 3 Million guaranteed between sign on bonus and first year salary.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:17 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Steve Zissou wrote:
Its become comical how much Rotoworld is hating on our team -

Rotoworld should stick to being a news feed only...So many Dolphins haters out there, I stopped caring a long time ago. Mike Florio is the worst of them all.

Anyway, winning takes care of everything.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:50 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
the worst move the Dolphins made this offseason was the logo. :)

Couldn't agree more!

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

1 year deal for 5 million when we had 22 million in cap space....

In what world is that over paying?

Only in a world where your first instinct is to trash any move this franchise makes and then think later. This was another smart, effective low-impact move that has no long-term cap implications apparently. If he shows that he's the player he was, start working immediately on an extension. Now the only positions that worry me are OLT and the 2nd cornerback. Lesser concerns include pass rusher and RB.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

k-dash wrote:
Now the only positions that worry me are OLT and the 2nd cornerback. Lesser concerns include pass rusher and RB.

I just made a post about this on my blog

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:17 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cspooner13 wrote:
k-dash wrote:
Now the only positions that worry me are OLT and the 2nd cornerback. Lesser concerns include pass rusher and RB.

I just made a post about this on my blog

exactly why we should go tackle with the 1st pick. Corner is deep in this draft, offensive tackle isn't. Only 3 elite prospects at that position.

Before free agency I would have never said tackle, but they've filled most of the other holes in free agency. And we ended up losing Long. So we currently have one bad tackle and an empty spot at the other tackle.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:41 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:

We drafted players already? Wow, that's amazing!

Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:08 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Phin wrote:

I dont know much about the guy other than whats posted here, so some times an objective opinion is good.

However I am not losing much sleep over how Ireland spends Ross's money, which seems to be the main beef people have.. "over paying" .... Its a 1 year deal, hard to over pay really.. If he does not make the roster, he does not get paid...

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:20 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Brent Crimes has made a living picking off Drew Breed. This dude is the Spud Webb of the NFL. Short stature but can put 6' between his feet and the Earth. Shifty and quick, nothing goes over his head. I love the pick up.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:12 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

High Risk, High Reward. I like it.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:11 am
Profile WWW

ToneOz wrote:

How is this high risk?

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:40 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Phins Rock wrote:
ToneOz wrote:

How is this high risk?

There's a reason he was only signed to a 1 year deal.

Coming back from any serious injury and paying said player 5.5 million is a high risk, high reward situation.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

That was game one last year though. He'll be fine.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:10 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Ski_Money wrote:
That was game one last year though. He'll be fine.

Didn't he have a serious injury the season before?
He's shown great athleticism, Despite age & prior injuries, I hope he returns to his pro-bowl level but we can't deny the flags.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BnqbJMolrk

Here is a brief highlight video of some of his picks. Cool to see him snag 2 on Sanchez. Very athletic guy, great body control and ball awareness. I look forward to seeing him make Brady walk off the field shaking his head.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I like this move, Grimes is a good player. But the fact that he's still rehabbing has me worried. While he's running and working out, he still is admittedly not 100%. Hopefully he's 100% and ready to go by OTAs.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:34 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

the Dolphins paid above market value -- again.)

I love quotes like this. If he plays lights out, then we paid under market value for a play making corner.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:45 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

10acjed wrote:
If he does not make the roster, he does not get paid...

Yes, he does. There are $3 million in guarantees, which includes a $2.25 million signing bonus.

That money is paid and counts against the cap no matter what happens.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next