View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
 Eric Winston visiting today, deal "could happen" 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Eric Winston visiting today, deal "could happen"
https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status ... 1817112576

I want Vollmer, but I'm fine with Winston.

Jonathan Martin better come to play next season.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:09 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Eric Winston visiting today, deal "could happen"
Phins Rock wrote:
https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/314360401817112576

I think I've asked before but can Martin be a pulling RG? Thought he had the speed to do it.

Might answer one issue and allow Miami to still draft/trade for or sign a better option at LT.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:00 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm pretty sure they're looking at Winston to play RT. If that's the case then he's a great fit. He played for several years in Houston's zone blocking scheme. From that standpoint he should be a great fit.

Our staff is high on Martin and I believe they see him as a starting caliber LT.

I expect Martin to improve this season so long as he's allowed to get a full training camp and pre-season at LT. It was obvious last year the kid needed a season to bulk up and build some strength. Hopefully he's working on those things in the off-season and comes to camp ready to go.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:46 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/314360401817112576

I think I've asked before but can Martin be a pulling RG? Thought he had the speed to do it.

Might answer one issue and allow Miami to still draft/trade for or sign a better option at LT.

He may have the ability to move to OG, but I don't see that happening. Martin was bought in to play tackle, and if the Dolphins lost Long in FA as they did, move him to OLT.

If the Dolphins sign Winston, and I think they will, the Jonathan is your new OLT. As Phins said, he is going to have to step up and step up BIG.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:33 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Based on how aggressive Miami has been upgrading this offseason I can't see them chancing the protection of their key piece (Tannehill) unless they are certain Martin will do just as well as Long.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:43 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I wanted Winston badly last year, and I still want him! He's solid in both run and pass blocking.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:06 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Whats the hold up here? I've been waiting all day to hear "The Dolphins have agreed to terms with Winston" but instead we get this ambiguous remark on Rotoworld/Fox News from Ireland on Martin -
Quote:
"We’re still visiting with a couple of tackles out there," said Ireland. "To say Jonathan is going to definitely play left tackle or right tackle, that’s still yet to be determined. I’m comfortable with him playing either position."

Can we just shore up the O-line with Winston & move ahead?

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Maybe we're still flirting with the idea of getting Albert from KC? I'm not sure.

Hopefully we go sign this guy soon to a short term deal. He obviously is a fit and from the sound of things he might actually want to come to Miami.

Things have been pretty quiet for the past couple of weeks. Hopefully we snatch up Winston and make a move to get Umenyora. If we land those two, we're in a good place going into the draft at every position outside of DB.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:18 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

wkloiber13 wrote:
Maybe we're still flirting with the idea of getting Albert from KC? I'm not sure.

Hopefully we go sign this guy soon to a short term deal. He obviously is a fit and from the sound of things he might actually want to come to Miami.

Things have been pretty quiet for the past couple of weeks. Hopefully we snatch up Winston and make a move to get Umenyora. If we land those two, we're in a good place going into the draft at every position outside of DB.

The Falcons are going to sign Umenyora...

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:20 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Steve Zissou wrote:
Whats the hold up here? I've been waiting all day to hear "The Dolphins have agreed to terms with Winston" ...

It may not happen.

PFT wrote:
“Eric would really like to play for the Miami Dolphins. What a terrific fit,” Rosenhaus said on WSVN, via Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post. “It’s a fluid situation. I can’t really get into a lot of the details as far as the Dolphins. I don’t want to speak for them.”

As Volin points out, agents rarely make public statements about their clients’ desire to play for teams that share the same level of interest in a working relationship. If the Dolphins really wanted Winston, there’d likely be a deal done by this point. Whether they are waiting for a better price or interested in others is less clear, but it seems Winston might have to look elsewhere for his next team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-present/

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I would guess its all about the money at this point, and with no teams flying him in for a visit the FO feels they have the leverage to wait it out..

Hope he decides to take what they are offering, would be a nice addition at this point.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:27 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
Steve Zissou wrote:
Whats the hold up here? I've been waiting all day to hear "The Dolphins have agreed to terms with Winston" ...

It may not happen.

PFT wrote:
“Eric would really like to play for the Miami Dolphins. What a terrific fit,” Rosenhaus said on WSVN, via Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post. “It’s a fluid situation. I can’t really get into a lot of the details as far as the Dolphins. I don’t want to speak for them.”

As Volin points out, agents rarely make public statements about their clients’ desire to play for teams that share the same level of interest in a working relationship. If the Dolphins really wanted Winston, there’d likely be a deal done by this point. Whether they are waiting for a better price or interested in others is less clear, but it seems Winston might have to look elsewhere for his next team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-present/

I wish Miami would hurry up and sign a free agent offensive lineman. I really wish they would add Winston as he still can play at a decent level and add some much needed depth. I guess they are holding out to get him at their price/term. I am shocked that Miami has not signed someone yet especially as the other free agents O-lineman are starting to be re-signed elsewhere.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

The Falcons are going to sign Umenyora...

But they haven't yet. If the Dolphins want him, they had better make the move now and see if they can beat Atlanta's offer.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:35 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

this is interesting

Quote:
The Dolphins have shown no interest in free agent LT Bryant McKinnie.
McKinnie has "expressed interest" in playing for the Fins, but as of the weekend the feeling was not mutual. The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero does confirm the Dolphins have "considered a trade" for Chiefs LT Branden Albert. Albert and Eric Winston seem to be Miami's top two tackle targets at the moment.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:36 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
this is interesting

Quote:
McKinnie has "expressed interest" in playing for the Fins, but as of the weekend the feeling was not mutual. The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero does confirm the Dolphins have "considered a trade" for Chiefs LT Branden Albert. Albert and Eric Winston seem to be Miami's top two tackle targets at the moment.

Source?

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:37 pm

wkloiber13 wrote:
But they haven't yet. If the Dolphins want him, they had better make the move now and see if they can beat Atlanta's offer.

When a GM announces that they are in contract negotiations, it typically means they have agreed to general terms and are ironing out the details.

He's off the market.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:38 pm

and this

Quote:
Free agent RT Eric Winston's agent says he would "really like" to play for the Dolphins, but calls talks a "fluid situation."
"I can’t really get into a lot of the details as far as the Dolphins," Winston's rep said. "I don’t want to speak for them." It was logical to think Winston would become a Dolphin during his Wednesday visit, but a deal hasn't seemed close. The hangup is unclear, but it's unlikely a player who's been cut twice in the past two years is overplaying his hand. The Dolphins may be insisting Winston plays for close to the minimum. Winston's only other visit was to San Diego.
Quote:

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:39 pm

k-dash wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
this is interesting

Quote:

Source?

Roto

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

When a GM announces that they are in contract negotiations, it typically means they have agreed to general terms and are ironing out the details.

He's off the market.

Or you could wind up with a situation like Dumervil where the two sides sit down, hash out a contract, and then that agent and player use that deal as leverage with other teams.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:14 pm

wkloiber13 wrote:
Or you could wind up with a situation like Dumervil where the two sides sit down, hash out a contract, and then that agent and player use that deal as leverage with other teams.

Dumervil's agent was fired because of what happened with Denver.

There you go making things up again.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

I've made nothing up. Dumervil and the Broncos had a contract agreed upon prior to the time limit expiring. But due to Dumervil taking too long to fax it over to the Broncos, the Broncos cut him in order to protect themselves. Then after he became a free agent, he then fired his agent, got a new agent, and sat down with the Broncos again. The Broncos made an offer. Dumervil and his new agent then took that new offer and shopped it until the Ravens made him a better one. I fail to see how my example doesn't work Rich. Please explain how I've made something up.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

I've made nothing up. Dumervil and the Broncos had a contract agreed upon prior to the time limit expiring. But due to Dumervil taking too long to fax it over to the Broncos, the Broncos cut him in order to protect themselves. Then after he became a free agent, he then fired his agent, got a new agent, and sat down with the Broncos again. The Broncos made an offer. Dumervil and his new agent then took that new offer and shopped it until the Ravens made him a better one. I fail to see how my example doesn't work Rich. Please explain how I've made something up.

His agent got fired. Lost a ton of money in commission from Dumervil and hurt his reputation, potentially losing a ton of money in the future.

I'm confused how you think "that agent" benefitted out of this.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

degs wrote:
His agent got fired. Lost a ton of money in commission from Dumervil and hurt his reputation, potentially losing a ton of money in the future.

I'm confused how you think "that agent" benefitted out of this.

I never said the first agent benefitted (althought that is yet to be determined as there is ongoing litigation). But the second one did.

If you look at my comment it's quite clear that I'm eluding to the second part of the negotiations with the new agent, not the first.

In addition, I never implied that Dumervils case was exactly like Winstons. Nobody would make that comparison.

I'm simply saying that after Dumervil became a free agent, the Broncos made him an offer, and that he and his new agent shopped that offer until they got a better one.

I believe that is what Winston is doing right now.

Do I really have to sit down and spell all of this out to you guys?

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13

Looking at the language used it is not hard to see where there is confusion. What is the most noted deal that Dumervil has been involved with lately?

Most (at least some?) would probably say the one in which his agent got fired. Both sides hashed out a deal which the only problem was timing in getting it done.

After he became a FA the Bronco's made several contract offers to Dumervil and like most free agents he shopped around and found the best offer for him. That sounds like normal contract negotiations for FA's and not something specific or unique to Dumervil.

While I know we need to be careful and not become to critical about word usage would most think of an offer and a deal as being the same or separate things?

Last edited by AQNOR on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
By Ben Volin

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Ever since the Dolphins expressed interest in right tackle Eric Winston two weeks ago, the sides appeared to be a perfect fit.

The Dolphins need an offensive tackle after losing Jake Long to St. Louis. And Winston, 29, could provide leadership on the right side of the line.

Yet Winston remains on the market.

“It’s a fluid situation,” Rosenhaus said. “I can’t really get into a lot of the details as far as the Dolphins. I don’t want to speak for them.”

The website Pro Football Focus ranked Winston, who played for Kansas City last season, as the ninth-best right tackle in the NFL. He allowed just three sacks.

Winston has started all 96 games in the past six seasons for Houston and Kansas City, although he has been cut at the end of the last two seasons.

The Dolphins still have needs in free agency apart from offensive tackle. They are looking at veteran pass rushers, want to find an upgrade to John Jerry at right guard and are still in the mix for former Falcons cornerback Brent Grimes, a source told the Post on Monday.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... ack/nW4DB/

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

What is the flippin hold up on getting Winston anyway?

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:24 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Two perfect fits, so why can't they agree on a deal??

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:32 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

wkloiber13 wrote:
Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

I think you are both saying the same thing, but when you made the comment highlighted above, it made it seems as if Elvis was using one side against the other. Obviously any free agent is going to hear all offers and it is in his best interest to relate to the other team what other offers are on the table. This is no different than if you had two jobs you were interviewing for. I had the same thing happen to me 20 years ago. Elvis wasn't "PLAYING" one against the other, no more than any other FA would do, or anyone from any other job opening for that matter.

Bottom line is any FA is going to hear as many offers as he can hear and then go with the one he likes the best. It may have more to do with money and in some cases has something to do with some of the intangibles, like chance of winning SB, or climate, close to home, etc. I think you would have to admit a player would have to be pretty stupid to take the first offer he received when you had three other teams on the phone. Listen to them all and then make a decision. That isn't USING them, it is basic common sense.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:53 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Two perfect fits, so why can't they agree on a deal??

I can't verify this, but I heard they were having a hard time finding an ink pen.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:59 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

KTOWNFINFAN wrote:
I think you are both saying the same thing, but when you made the comment highlighted above, it made it seems as if Elvis was using one side against the other. Obviously any free agent is going to hear all offers and it is in his best interest to relate to the other team what other offers are on the table. This is no different than if you had two jobs you were interviewing for. I had the same thing happen to me 20 years ago. Elvis wasn't "PLAYING" one against the other, no more than any other FA would do, or anyone from any other job opening for that matter.

Bottom line is any FA is going to hear as many offers as he can hear and then go with the one he likes the best. It may have more to do with money and in some cases has something to do with some of the intangibles, like chance of winning SB, or climate, close to home, etc. I think you would have to admit a player would have to be pretty stupid to take the first offer he received when you had three other teams on the phone. Listen to them all and then make a decision. That isn't USING them, it is basic common sense.

Thank you!

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

So do you guys think Miami still has any interest in Winston after signing Lance Louis earlier this week? Or have the moved on?

Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:32 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

bobby0112 wrote:
So do you guys think Miami still has any interest in Winston after signing Lance Louis earlier this week? Or have the moved on?

A friend told me that he read (sorry for not having a printed source) that Winston is having trouble passing physicals due to some injury unknown to public. I understand its not a reliable report but it would make since as to why this guy has been sitting mostly idle on the market

Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

bobby0112 wrote:

Are you thinking that Miami might use Lance at the OT position?

Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AQNOR wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:

Are you thinking that Miami might use Lance at the OT position?

There was a rumor that the Dolphins might move Jerry to RT.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:46 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Steve Zissou wrote:
A friend told me that he read (sorry for not having a printed source) that Winston is having trouble passing physicals due to some injury unknown to public. I understand its not a reliable report but it would make since as to why this guy has been sitting mostly idle on the market

If true, that would make a lot of sense

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:23 pm
Profile WWW

Along with Grimes he would be a decent signing and another piece to the real dream team.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:41 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'd love to see it happen, I like Winston a lot

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]