View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Miami 7RD Mock 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Miami 7RD Mock
If this topic belongs elsewhere, I apologize. Please move to proper area.

Thoughts? Criticism?

2013 Miami Dolphins Mock Draft

RD1 #12 - WR Tavon Austin - West Virginia
- Speed kills. Hopefully, his game evolves into attacking the holes before they open. He can replace Bush in plays designed to get a ball carrier in the open field.

RD2 #42 - OG Larry Warford - Kentucky
- Warford is an athletic Guard for his size (6'3", 333LB). If he can trim down, he'd become an ideal Guard that fits the offensive scheme.

RD3 #77 - CB David Amerson - N.C. State
- Amerson is a ballhawk. Biggest weakness of the Defense last season was lack of turnovers.

RD3 #82 - RB Le'Veon Ball - Michigan State
- A big back that can compliment Miller well.

RD4 #110 - CB Dwayne Gratz - Connecticut
-I like his game. This pick is hopeful thinking because I believe he wont make it to the RD4

RD4 #110 - TE Ryan Otten - San Jose State
RD5 #146 - S Brandon Bishop - N.C. State
RD5 #166 - CB Brandon McGee - Miami
RD7 #217 - OLB Alonzo Highsmith, Arkansas
RD7 #224 - ILB Steve Greer - Virginia
RD7 #250 - QB Jordan Rodgers - Vanderbilt

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:12 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Miami 7RD Mock
Not bad. I love Amerson at 77, I even like Bell at 82, but the rest I would scrap, especially Austin at 12. That's a huge reach and it's for a player that we really don't have a use for. I'd much rather see the Dolphins target Xavier Rhodes (CB FSU), Lane Johnson (OT Oklahoma), Bjoern Werner (DE FSU), Jonathan Cooper (OG North Carolina), or even Coradell Patterson (WR Tennessee) at 12. Here would be my mock draft right now:

1 - Xavier Rhodes CB FSU
2 - Eddie Lacy RB Alabama
2 - Margus Hunt DE SMU
3 - David Amerson CB/FS NC State
3 - Barrett Jones OL Alabama
4 - Levine Toilolo TE Stanford
5 - Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU
2nd 5-3rd 7 - BPA

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:31 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
Not bad. I love Amerson at 77, I even like Bell at 82, but the rest I would scrap, especially Austin at 12. That's a huge reach and it's for a player that we really don't have a use for. I'd much rather see the Dolphins target Xavier Rhodes (CB FSU), Lane Johnson (OT Oklahoma), Bjoern Werner (DE FSU), Jonathan Cooper (OG North Carolina), or even Coradell Patterson (WR Tennessee) at 12. Here would be my mock draft right now:

1 - Xavier Rhodes CB FSU
2 - Margus Hunt DE SMU
2nd 5-3rd 7 - BPA

I'm still in the camp of Desmond Trufant over Xavier Rhodes and I'm very much against anyone (much less Miami) picking up Tyrann Mathieu, as I've stated before on this forum. Other than that I'd be thrilled with this mock

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

ToneOz wrote:

Thoughts? Criticism?

- Speed kills. Hopefully, his game evolves into attacking the holes before they open. He can replace Bush in plays designed to get a ball carrier in the open field.

- Warford is an athletic Guard for his size (6'3", 333LB). If he can trim down, he'd become an ideal Guard that fits the offensive scheme.

- Amerson is a ballhawk. Biggest weakness of the Defense last season was lack of turnovers.

-I like his game. This pick is hopeful thinking because I believe he wont make it to the RD4

Love the Tavon Austin pick and I had him in my recent NFL Mock for the site. I will be doing a Dolphins mock Sunday and Tavon will be my pick at #12. Contrary to one of my fellow Phinfever poster, Austin is not a reach at #12, and I am now starting to worry about someone with multiple 1st round picks trading up to get him a little bit.

The Dolphins have (2) 2nd round picks and I expect a CB to be selected in the 2nd round. I love Larry Waterford, but I think the Dolphins may go OT early if they don't sign Winston or trade for Branden Albert. I think with the signing of Lance Louis, OG might be selected a little later.

Amerson in the 3rd round is about right for him.

I agree with you in that I think Gratz goes earlier and I think McGee will have to be grabbed in the 4th round area. I think he can be another Sam Shields type of CB from Miami. Underachieved due to suspect coaching and takes off once he get's into the pros.

Bell is a big workhorse back and I do like him, but I'm thinking the Dolphins may be looking for a change of pace type back since they will have Andre Ellington in for a visit to Davie. Keep an eye on Kenyon Barner of Oregon.

Jordan Rogders is a very interesting pick, and I remember Ireland talking about possibly drafting a QB.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:58 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think they will draft an OT somewhere in the draft.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:09 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

rodneyfaile wrote:

I think pretty much everyone does

Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:39 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

cspooner13 wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

I think pretty much everyone does

I was just pointing out that there was no OT in this mock.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

One position I still think the team should think about is QB. If Matt Barkley is on the board in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, I would probably take him. QB play is like pitching in baseball, you can never have enough of it. And this is a guy who would have been a top ten pick in the 2012 had he come out but was hurt by a bad senior season.

Not that I am saying he is the next Marino, but the reason Dan fell to us in the draft was also because of a disappointing senior season.

I think it is a huge mistake to put all of our eggs in the Tannehill basket even though he has shown a lot of potential.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:37 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

catman_56 wrote:
One position I still think the team should think about is QB. If Matt Barkley is on the board in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, I would probably take him. QB play is like pitching in baseball, you can never have enough of it. And this is a guy who would have been a top ten pick in the 2012 had he come out but was hurt by a bad senior season.

Not that I am saying he is the next Marino, but the reason Dan fell to us in the draft was also because of a disappointing senior season.

I think it is a huge mistake to put all of our eggs in the Tannehill basket even though he has shown a lot of potential.

Don't forget they still have a quality backup QB in Matt Moore. I think there are other positions in need of depth more so than QB. We are actually pretty good at QB! Moore could start on several teams. Glad he chose to stay.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:27 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

phinsfansc wrote:
ToneOz wrote:

Thoughts? Criticism?

Love the Tavon Austin pick and I had him in my recent NFL Mock for the site. I will be doing a Dolphins mock Sunday and Tavon will be my pick at #12. Contrary to one of my fellow Phinfever poster, Austin is not a reach at #12, and I am now starting to worry about someone with multiple 1st round picks trading up to get him a little bit.

The Dolphins have (2) 2nd round picks and I expect a CB to be selected in the 2nd round. I love Larry Waterford, but I think the Dolphins may go OT early if they don't sign Winston or trade for Branden Albert. I think with the signing of Lance Louis, OG might be selected a little later.

Amerson in the 3rd round is about right for him.

I agree with you in that I think Gratz goes earlier and I think McGee will have to be grabbed in the 4th round area. I think he can be another Sam Shields type of CB from Miami. Underachieved due to suspect coaching and takes off once he get's into the pros.

Bell is a big workhorse back and I do like him, but I'm thinking the Dolphins may be looking for a change of pace type back since they will have Andre Ellington in for a visit to Davie. Keep an eye on Kenyon Barner of Oregon.

Jordan Rogders is a very interesting pick, and I remember Ireland talking about possibly drafting a QB.

I can't believe I missed pick 54th in my initial mock. :hithead:

The way the offense has been built I believe Tavon Austin isn't a reach at 12. As you hinted to, I also believe teams will be interested in this year's price to move up. If there's a player worth moving up to get it's Tavon Austin. He is a very versatile player that may be small in frame but he's a tough guy.

Gratz, Amerson or McGee would become a good developmental player that can be in the mix with Grimes, Marshall and whoever else gets patched together. With the 54th pick Phins can bypass OG Warford and pick up a CB. In my Mock I triple dipped @ CB, but i'd much rather just double dip. Amerson(54) / McGee(110).

What style of a runner is Gray? Is there a "change of pace" type back currently on the Dolphins roster? If not, unfortunately I see Daniel Thomas taking the bruiser back role. Leaving Ball to go to another team.

I threw Jordan Rodgers in the end because, why not. I believe in the theory in drafting a QB every year. Philbin can have Aaron's little brother and our imaginations can run wild if Tannehill has a sophmore slump.

**EDIT**

I agree with the other posters that a OT should be taken. I was hoping a John Jerry move to RT if he doesn't eat himself out of the league. I just find it hard to believe that the FO will allow both Tackles to be Rookie/Sophomore protecting a sophomore Quarterback with a bunch of new shiny toys.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Jonas Gray has some wiggle to him, but when you are 5'9, 225 lbs, you are more of a power back. I read some talk about Marcus Thigpen being used in the Reggie Bush mode, but I would like to see Marcus stay as the return guy. Miami has not had a dangerous return guy in YEARS, and Marcus gives the Dolphins that.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

1 - Xavier Rhodes CB FSU
2 - Margus Hunt DE SMU
2nd 5-3rd 7 - BPA

I'm still in the camp of Desmond Trufant over Xavier Rhodes and I'm very much against anyone (much less Miami) picking up Tyrann Mathieu, as I've stated before on this forum. Other than that I'd be thrilled with this mock

Trufant would be an interesting prospect to me if he were still available in the late 2nd or early 3rd round. But at number 12 his lack of production scares me. We need guys that can pass defend and generate turnovers. With that in mind what do you think of this mock:
1 - Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma
2 - Johnthan Banks CB Miss St
2 - Eddie Lacy RB Alabama (Trade Up)
3 - David Amerson CB NC St
5-7 - BPA

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

catman_56 wrote:

There were also rumors of marijuana use that made him fall quite a bit

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:14 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

cspooner13 wrote:
catman_56 wrote:

I heard it was a rumor about cocaine...not that it matters.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:42 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

catman_56 wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:
catman_56 wrote:

I heard it was a rumor about cocaine...not that it matters.

I've only ever heard marijuana. But then again, I wasn't even alive when he was drafted, so it's entirely possible that I've been misinformed.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:12 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]