View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 
 Phinfever Miami Mock Draft 2.0 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Phinfever Miami Mock Draft 2.0
We are now only 25 days away from the 2013 NFL Draft, and the excitment is starting to build and teams still work there way thru free agency and continue to add talent. Miami just added former Atlanta Falcons CB Brent Grimes on Saturday and will continue to look to possibly add a ORT or possibly trade for KC OLT Branden Albert, although that talk has died down greatly.

With the moves that the Dolphins have made, I wanted to put together my next to last mock draft for Miami. I will do one last mock for Miami the week of the draft. Now let take a look at my latest mock for Miami.

1) Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia - The thought by many is that the Dolphins have addressed their needs at wide receiver with the additions of Mike Wallace and Brandon Gibson and the re-signing of Brian Hartline. That said, the Palm Beach Post has indentified Davone Bess as the top veteran in line to possibly be cut. He is going into the last year of his contract and there has been talk that the Dolphins are looking to trade Davone. Tavon Austin is probably the most explosive offensive player in this draft, and he would give the Dolphins something that Bess could never hope to give Miami, a player that can take it to the house any time he touches the ball from the slot WR position. This little nugget was in the Miami Herald this morning.

"The Dolphins are among the teams holding a private meeting with speedy, explosive West Virginia receiver Tavon Austin. He would be a bold choice at 12, considering receiver is not a need, and Miami might be able to get a right tackle or pass rusher at that spot, or possibly a corner, though none might be the ideal fit at 12."

2) Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State - The Dolphins made a nice move in bringing in CB Brent Grimes, but the Dolphins will still look to bring multiple cornerbacks into the fold. Taylor has the size, quickness and a nice tight backpedal to fit nicely into the zone coverages the Dolphins play. Solid run defender.

2) Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff - Miami is working to possibly sign ORT Eric Winston, but as of this moment, that seems to be a long shot. If it does not happen, the Dolphins will need to address the OT position, and Armstead has the athletic ability to play OLT or ORT. Tremendous athlete, as he had the best time in the 40 for OL personnel with a 4.71. Also did 31 reps at 225 lbs and had a 34.5 vertical.

3) Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati - Miami signed Dustin Keller to a one year deal, so the need for a TE is still there, especially with the major questions still on 2012 3rd round draft pick Michael Engew. Kelce has the size the Dolphins like at 6'5, 255 lbs. More importantly, he is a very good blocker and has the speed to get vertically in the seam of a defense. His final year with the Bearcats, he had 45 catches for 722 yards with a 16.0 yards per catch average and 8 TD's.

3) Corey Lemonier, DE/OLB, Auburn - The Dolphins still would like to bring in a pass ruhser opposite Cameron Wake. They also seem to be very high on 2012 3rd round pick Olivier Vernon, who had 3.5 sacks in 2012 season. Still, the best way to make a secondary better is to put as much pressure as possible on the quarterback, and the Dolphins need more from that spot. Lemonier has 17.0 career sacks in his 3 years at Auburn, and has faced some of the best competition in the nation.

4) Brandon McGee, CB, Miami - As I mentioned earlier, the Dolphins will look to take multiple cornerbacks, and McGee has very nice size at 5'11, 193 lbs and the speed to match. Very fluid hips and can easily open up and run with wide receivers. Underacheived while at Miami, but has all the making of a Sam Shields type of cornerback. For those that are not familar with this, Shields went the Miami and also struggled while at Miami, but blossomed once he got into the NFL.

5) Hugh Thornton, OG, Illinois - With the signing of OG Lance Louis, the Dolphins will likely go into the mid rounds before they look to bring an OG into the fold, but they will look to add talent to the position. This is a little blurb on Thronton from NFL.Com.

Strengths

Tenacious blocker once engaged either in the run game or pass pro, finishes blocks to the ground whenever necessary. Good quickness from his stance, can fire out to greet defenders. Very good upper body strength to latch onto and stone targets, possesses footwork to stay with them throughout the play. Quick feet and good straight-line speed also help him block down and reach second-level targets, also pulled for outside runs. Uses athleticism and length as an effective cut blocker in space to take out defenders.

5) Kenyon Barner, RB, Oregon - Miami will be featuring RB Lamar Miller in 2013, as Reggie Bush was allowed to leave via free agency. But Miami seems to be looking for a change of pace back and will be bringing in Clemson RB Andre Ellington. Barner is a very similar back in style of play, size and expolsive plays and playmakers.

7) Don Jones, SS, Arkansas State - Miami has shown a lot of interest in this SS prospect from Arkansas State. Very nice size at 5'11, 191 lbs with very good speed at 4.41 40.

7) Brandon Moore, DT/NT, Texas - Jeff Ireland likes keeping the DL stocked with talent, and the Dolphins went to Texas and found Kheeston Randle in the 7th round in 2012. Moore is a big, powerful man that can add depth to the DT position. Also, Paul Solaia will be a free agent after the 2013 season as well. Here is a little blurb from NFLDraftScout.com, the CBS Sportsline.com Draft site.

"STRENGTHS: Naturally large man with long limbs and good overall weight distribution. Scheme versatile. Flashes a powerful bull rush to push the pocket. Possesses just average burst but shows surprising straight-line speed once he gets going. Untapped potential."

7) Vince Williams, ILB, Florida State - Miami adds depth to the linebacker corps with this intense Seminole. Miami has talked about possibly adding a QB as well, so keep an eye on Vanderbilt QB Jordan Rogers. Props to ToneOz, one of our members that had Rodgers in his mock draft in the 7th round.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:17 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: Phinfever Miami Mock Draft 2.0
This would be a great draft. I think Austin is a great pick for this team. Our offense would be extremely explosive and our defense would be even better if playing with a lead. This draft does place a premium on picking up a tackle in FA though.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:31 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

I've got 4 of the same names on my mock. Austin, Armstead, McGee and Barner.

I think Kelce's character concerns might keep Miami away from him. But I love the mock.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:41 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

phinsfansc wrote:
3) Corey Lemonier, DE/OLB, Auburn - The Dolphins still would like to bring in a pass ruhser opposite Cameron Wake. They also seem to be very high on 2012 3rd round pick Olivier Vernon, who had 3.5 sacks in 2012 season. Still, the best way to make a secondary better is to put as much pressure as possible on the quarterback, and the Dolphins need more from that spot. Lemonier has 17.0 career sacks in his 3 years at Auburn, and has faced some of the best competition in the nation.

4) Brandon McGee, CB, Miami - As I mentioned earlier, the Dolphins will look to take multiple cornerbacks, and McGee has very nice size at 5'11, 193 lbs and the speed to match. Very fluid hips and can easily open up and run with wide receivers. Underacheived while at Miami, but has all the making of a Sam Shields type of cornerback. For those that are not familar with this, Shields went the Miami and also struggled while at Miami, but blossomed once he got into the NFL.

I really like these two picks. If Phins are able to draft a Nickle/Dime CB with upside and a pass rusher that could rotate his first season they'd be in very good shape defensively. If this is achieved the FO did a helluva job getting picks in the value area of a weak top end draft.

I haven't read into CB Jamar Taylor, will do so now.

Beside a change of pace back, should the Phins bring in a back that can take majority of carries if Miller goes down?

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

phinsfansc wrote:
We are now only 25 days away from the 2013 NFL Draft, and the excitment is starting to build and teams still work there way thru free agency and continue to add talent. Miami just added former Atlanta Falcons CB Brent Grimes on Saturday and will continue to look to possibly add a ORT or possibly trade for KC OLT Branden Albert, although that talk has died down greatly.

With the moves that the Dolphins have made, I wanted to put together my next to last mock draft for Miami. I will do one last mock for Miami the week of the draft. Now let take a look at my latest mock for Miami.

1) Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia - The thought by many is that the Dolphins have addressed their needs at wide receiver with the additions of Mike Wallace and Brandon Gibson and the re-signing of Brian Hartline. That said, the Palm Beach Post has indentified Davone Bess as the top veteran in line to possibly be cut. He is going into the last year of his contract and there has been talk that the Dolphins are looking to trade Davone. Tavon Austin is probably the most explosive offensive player in this draft, and he would give the Dolphins something that Bess could never hope to give Miami, a player that can take it to the house any time he touches the ball from the slot WR position. This little nugget was in the Miami Herald this morning.

"The Dolphins are among the teams holding a private meeting with speedy, explosive West Virginia receiver Tavon Austin. He would be a bold choice at 12, considering receiver is not a need, and Miami might be able to get a right tackle or pass rusher at that spot, or possibly a corner, though none might be the ideal fit at 12."

2) Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State - The Dolphins made a nice move in bringing in CB Brent Grimes, but the Dolphins will still look to bring multiple cornerbacks into the fold. Taylor has the size, quickness and a nice tight backpedal to fit nicely into the zone coverages the Dolphins play. Solid run defender.

2) Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff - Miami is working to possibly sign ORT Eric Winston, but as of this moment, that seems to be a long shot. If it does not happen, the Dolphins will need to address the OT position, and Armstead has the athletic ability to play OLT or ORT. Tremendous athlete, as he had the best time in the 40 for OL personnel with a 4.71. Also did 31 reps at 225 lbs and had a 34.5 vertical.

3) Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati - Miami signed Dustin Keller to a one year deal, so the need for a TE is still there, especially with the major questions still on 2012 3rd round draft pick Michael Engew. Kelce has the size the Dolphins like at 6'5, 255 lbs. More importantly, he is a very good blocker and has the speed to get vertically in the seam of a defense. His final year with the Bearcats, he had 45 catches for 722 yards with a 16.0 yards per catch average and 8 TD's.

5) Hugh Thornton, OG, Illinois - With the signing of OG Lance Louis, the Dolphins will likely go into the mid rounds before they look to bring an OG into the fold, but they will look to add talent to the position. This is a little blurb on Thronton from NFL.Com.

Strengths

Tenacious blocker once engaged either in the run game or pass pro, finishes blocks to the ground whenever necessary. Good quickness from his stance, can fire out to greet defenders. Very good upper body strength to latch onto and stone targets, possesses footwork to stay with them throughout the play. Quick feet and good straight-line speed also help him block down and reach second-level targets, also pulled for outside runs. Uses athleticism and length as an effective cut blocker in space to take out defenders.

5) Kenyon Barner, RB, Oregon - Miami will be featuring RB Lamar Miller in 2013, as Reggie Bush was allowed to leave via free agency. But Miami seems to be looking for a change of pace back and will be bringing in Clemson RB Andre Ellington. Barner is a very similar back in style of play, size and expolsive plays and playmakers.

7) Don Jones, SS, Arkansas State - Miami has shown a lot of interest in this SS prospect from Arkansas State. Very nice size at 5'11, 191 lbs with very good speed at 4.41 40.

7) Brandon Moore, DT/NT, Texas - Jeff Ireland likes keeping the DL stocked with talent, and the Dolphins went to Texas and found Kheeston Randle in the 7th round in 2012. Moore is a big, powerful man that can add depth to the DT position. Also, Paul Solaia will be a free agent after the 2013 season as well. Here is a little blurb from NFLDraftScout.com, the CBS Sportsline.com Draft site.

"STRENGTHS: Naturally large man with long limbs and good overall weight distribution. Scheme versatile. Flashes a powerful bull rush to push the pocket. Possesses just average burst but shows surprising straight-line speed once he gets going. Untapped potential."

7) Vince Williams, ILB, Florida State - Miami adds depth to the linebacker corps with this intense Seminole. Miami has talked about possibly adding a QB as well, so keep an eye on Vanderbilt QB Jordan Rogers. Props to ToneOz, one of our members that had Rodgers in his mock draft in the 7th round.

Love the draft except for 2 picks, id replace Kelce with a safety like Ammerson, Rambo, or the safety from FIU (dont want to spell his name wrong) and the Barner pick i would replace him with a bigger back even though i like him but Miller is the speed guy so doesnt make sense to get a clone

Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:50 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

ToneOz wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I love the McGee pick because I think he will be great value in the 4th but personally I would take Jenkins (FSU) because if he never hurt his foot he would be a top 20 pick.
The Kelcie kid had one year with some issues but I hope our regime can look past that. I also wish we could add a WR with some size and decent speed but other than that I would have tears in my eyes if this was our 2013 draft!

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:20 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Hey Tone, here is my take on your mock.

1) Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia

Love the pick because it is unconventional and the more EXPLOSIVE weapons we can have on offense the better. Not to mention he can score in multiple ways. Takes the pressure off Mike Wallace and gives the Dolphins another dimension.

2) Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State

Gotta love his measurables. He performed well at the Combine. His stock is rising so if we can get him in the 2nd round, that'd be nice.

2) Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff

Another player I love because of his measurables. He's definitely got the athleticism to fit in a zone scheme. He does need to get in the gym and hit the smith machine a bit to strengthen his legs.

3) Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati

Concerned about recent injuries, but that's why he is projected to go round 3. Love the production in college when healthy. Speed is not overwhelming but he is well rounded.

3) Corey Lemonier, DE/OLB, Auburn

I would project him to be a situational pass rusher as a rookie. Size is a concern, especially against the run, but he'd be learning from one of the most complete defensive ends in the NFL in Cam Wake.

4) Brandon McGee, CB, Miami

You know how I feel about the coaching at UM. It did a great disservice to a lot of these talented players that came out of there. McGee is no different. McGee is no different. Has the speed to play corner in the NFL, good size for a CB. A darkhorse pick.

5) Hugh Thornton, OG, Illinois

Needs help in pass proection. Not sure about this pick, does he fit in a zone scheme? I know he is not a "fat" offensive lineman, but seems like more of a roadgrader to me. Struggles against quick players.

5) Kenyon Barner, RB, Oregon

Don't see him as more than a 3rd down back. I worry about backs who put up big numbers in the PAC-10.

7) Don Jones, SS, Arkansas State

Don't know much about him to be honest.

7) Brandon Moore, DT/NT, Texas

Don't know much about him either.

7) Vince Williams, ILB, Florida State

Like his production, but his measurables are average.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I like the Austin pick but I wonder if Miami's staff has the willingness to use him to full advantage?

Last year I think Miami's staff under utilized a talented player in Bush by not giving him enough touches of the football and maybe not thinking enough outside the box on how to make full use of his talents.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:01 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

AQNOR wrote:
I like the Austin pick but I wonder if Miami's staff has the willingness to use him to full advantage?

Last year I think Miami's staff under utilized a talented player in Bush by not giving him enough touches of the football and maybe not thinking enough outside the box on how to make full use of his talents.

This is why I don't see Austin being the pick at #12. I don't think they intend to make changes to the offense so that one guy can be utilized better. I see them adding talent at WR/TE so they have guys that fit their scheme without having to make any significant changes.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:58 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

keebler_kahn wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

This is why I don't see Austin being the pick at #12. I don't think they intend to make changes to the offense so that one guy can be utilized better. I see them adding talent at WR/TE so they have guys that fit their scheme without having to make any significant changes.

So Green Bay changed their entire offense to fit Randall Cobb in? Is Seattle going to change their offense for Percy Harvin?

Seems to be a pretty weak argument ... if Austin were a QB maybe... but he's a receiver.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:00 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:
keebler_kahn wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

So Green Bay changed their entire offense to fit Randall Cobb in? Is Seattle going to change their offense for Percy Harvin?

Seems to be a pretty weak argument ... if Austin were a QB maybe... but he's a receiver.

Obviously you were responding to kahn about changing the entire O stuff. I am not sure if he was advocating for changing the entire O maybe a clarification about what "significant changes" means would help.

If Miami takes Austin I hope that they are flexible enough in their O thinking to make changes and use him to the greatest possible advantage.

Quote:

The Cobra Formation

A new wrinkle to the Packers offense was one they unveiled during the season opener against the San Francisco 49ers, when Cobb lined up in the backfield as a running back, which they like to call the Cobra formation.

The Packers used Cobb more heavily in the backfield that afternoon than any other time since, but that particular game showed just how versatile Cobb can be and how much of a matchup nightmare he can cause for a defense.

In his weekly analysis of the 49ers game, Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel wrote:

The major development was McCarthy's decision to use Cobb on the majority of passing downs after the first series. Cobb lined up in the backfield 20 times and then motioned out to receiver on seven. In all, four of his catches came from out of the backfield; four came as a WR, and one came when he shifted outside.

The Packers have had so much success with Cobb running the football when lining up in the backfield; it's hard to believe they don't attempt to do it more often. On just three rushes, Cobb has 67 yards on the season for an average of 22.3 yards per carry, including a 19-yard scamper against the Rams in Week 7.

"There’s so many concepts that McCarthy can incorporate into five plays, whether it be an inside run, shovel pass, angle route, slip screen or swing pass," writes Kruse. "Conceptually, the possibilities are endless."

Adding to His Repertoire

The Packers are realizing they just can't afford to keep Cobb off the field. Over the course of the past month, in each of the past four games, Cobb has set or tied a career high in terms of number of snaps played, according to ProFootballFocus.com (premium content).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1389 ... rs-offense

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell was running a staff meeting earlier this month when Pete Carroll popped his head in to deliver the news that shook the NFL later in the day.

Percy Harvin was about to become a Seahawk. The congratulatory high fives could wait.

"My mind started racing," Bevell recounted from his office on Thursday morning. "You start thinking about all the things you can do with a player like that. And now the hard part is to harness that talent."

On the field, it's easy. Three months ago, Carroll told me, "We're looking for uniqueness in our players," and Harvin might bring more of that to the table than any of the different-looking talents already on the roster (e.g., Russell Wilson, Bruce Irvin, Richard Sherman). Seattle's most productive personnel grouping last year was "11" -- one running back, one tight end, three receivers -- and that plays right into Harvin's strengths, with his ability to play all the receiver positions and come out of the backfield.

All of that is why, in those moments after the trade, Bevell wasn't thinking so much about what Harvin would do with his new riches and in his new environment. No, Bevell was thinking about what he could do to try and get the most out of the guy the great Adrian Peterson called "the best all-around player I ever seen or you'll ever see!" There's a challenge there for Bevell and Co. to confront, with an athlete who's neither a pure receiver nor a back, someone whose range of abilities is what sets him apart.

The coach himself is resolute, particularly after studying Harvin's tape from 2011 and '12, which illustrates even more versatility with more work out of the backfield. Bevell can't wait to see what this winds up looking like.

"That's our job, figuring out all these pieces," Bevell said. "Because even the prototypical guys have strengths and weakness, and we have to blend these guys together by using those skills and covering up those weaknesses. And Percy's gonna be a great part of it. We'll see how it blends. If you have one guy, the defense can overload to that side. And that's why it's important it's not just Percy. It's Golden (Tate), Sidney (Rice), Zach (Miller), Marshawn (Lynch) and Russell, too.

"They can pick their poison. It's gonna be a headache for defenses."

If Bevell and the Seahawks are right -- that Harvin will cause that pain for opponents and not create it internally -- the possibilities here are as endless as the various talents the new guy brings to Seattle.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... s-no-doubt

Sound like they may be willing to change? tweak?, be creative to use him to best advantage in their O?

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:50 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

keebler_kahn wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

1st and foremost, Tavon is a WR, a slot wide receiver, aka Davone Bess with game breaking speed. So let not make this more than what it is. Now it would certainly be nice to use this kid in a variety of ways, as he offers that type of versatility.

In the end, this kid can be a very dangerous player for Miami as a slot WR. A homerun hitter out of the slot.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I agree that Tavon Austin is a dynamic player. But if we truly wanted to move Davone Bess, and free up some money, why wouldn't we just trade Bess for a 4th round pick and use that pick to draft Swope from A&M? Swope ran the same 40 time as Austin at the combine and was very productive in college. Not to mention he'd be well acquainted with Sherman, Tannehill, and a good portion of the offense.
Now I understand that Swope isn't as explosive as Austin, but he's bigger, more durable, and I think he has better hands.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:34 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

wkloiber13 wrote:
I agree that Tavon Austin is a dynamic player. But if we truly wanted to move Davone Bess, and free up some money, why wouldn't we just trade Bess for a 4th round pick and use that pick to draft Swope from A&M? Swope ran the same 40 time as Austin at the combine and was very productive in college. Not to mention he'd be well acquainted with Sherman, Tannehill, and a good portion of the offense.
Now I understand that Swope isn't as explosive as Austin, but he's bigger, more durable, and I think he has better hands.

Swope has a bad medical history or else id think he's a 2nd round pick. I believe Stedman Bailey, D.Hopkins, Keenan Allen and some others make more sense unless Swope falls to the 5th round

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:15 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

wkloiber13 wrote:

Swope has had multiple concussions while at Texas A & M. That is a major concern.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Here you go Tony

Quote:
Arkansas State DB Don Jones is visiting the Dolphins on Wednesday.
Jones is a former running back who plays the cover position with physicality. He has experience as a nickel back but was not a popular commodity throughout the draft process. The former JUCO player is from Alabama, so we aren;t sure if this counts as a local visit.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:14 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
Here you go Tony

Quote:
Arkansas State DB Don Jones is visiting the Dolphins on Wednesday.
Jones is a former running back who plays the cover position with physicality. He has experience as a nickel back but was not a popular commodity throughout the draft process. The former JUCO player is from Alabama, so we aren;t sure if this counts as a local visit.

Thanks for the nugget swerve. I had seen information about a month ago about Miami's interest in him.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

[b]Now I understand that Swope isn't as explosive as Austin, but he's bigger, more durable, and I think he has better hands.

Swope didn't help himself catching the ball at the combine as he was dropping passes left and right.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:46 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

This from Rotoworld on Travis Kelce's Pro Day. He is one of the few TE's in my opinion that can both stretch the field and is very physical in the run game.

Cincinnati TE Travis Kelce ran an unofficial 4.60 in the 40-yard dash at his Pro Day on Thursday.
Kelce also posted a 37-inch vertical and ran all drills asked of him after hernia surgery caused him to miss the Senior Bowl and the Combine. The 23-year-old is a very physical run blocker and can stretch the field vertically. However, character issues may push Kelce into the middle of the second day of the draft.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:48 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

As someone who has never really followed Cincy football, what are his "character issues"?

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
This from Rotoworld on Travis Kelce's Pro Day. He is one of the few TE's in my opinion that can both stretch the field and is very physical in the run game.

Cincinnati TE Travis Kelce ran an unofficial 4.60 in the 40-yard dash at his Pro Day on Thursday.
Kelce also posted a 37-inch vertical and ran all drills asked of him after hernia surgery caused him to miss the Senior Bowl and the Combine. The 23-year-old is a very physical run blocker and can stretch the field vertically. However, character issues may push Kelce into the middle of the second day of the draft.

The more I hear about this kid the more I like him.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:03 pm

cspooner13 wrote:
As someone who has never really followed Cincy football, what are his "character issues"?

Quote:
In the 2013 Pro Football Weekly Draft Guide, an unnamed NFL evaluator called Kelce “a trainwreck character-wise” and said his baggage will push him down until the third round at least.

Quote:
Kelce was suspended for the entire 2010 season for breaking team rules on the eve of the Sugar Bowl that year, and as a result, Kelce was not able to play at all during Jason’s senior season. The team did not reveal what the incident was

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/0 ... ter-health

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:22 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

cspooner13 wrote:

I guess it will eventually come out, but this is what I could find.

Lowdown: Kelce has the height, powerful build, long arms and running ability to be an upper-echelon NFL tight end. He had an outstanding senior season for the Bearcats, averaging 16 yards a catch. He may have the best upside of any tight end in this year’s draft. However, teams will have to make a good evaluation of him off the field. Kelce was suspended on the eve of the 2010 Sugar Bowl game for the bowl game and the entire subsequent season. He violated team rules, which never have been made public.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:25 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

He was suspended for an entire season? That would scare me a bit, depending upon what it was that he was suspended for

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Just looked at Mel Kiper's new 2 round mock draft. He has Miami going DJ Fluker at 12, Tank Carradine at 42 and Robert Alford at 54.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Just looked at Mel Kiper's new 2 round mock draft. He has Miami going DJ Fluker at 12, Tank Carradine at 42 and Robert Alford at 54.

Isn't that about 20 spots too high for Fluker?

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:23 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
jammer wrote:

I thought the same thing, there should be plenty of better options at 12

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

degs wrote:
jammer wrote:

sure is! And he doesn;t fit what Miami does at all.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:22 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Take Eifert in the first round and give Tannehill that big red zone target. Use Eifert and Keller to torture defenses just like the Pats use Gronkowski and Hernandez. Get cornerbacks and pass rushers after that. I am still hoping we sign a free agent tackle or trade for an OT so that we don't have to use another first round pick on the O-line.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:26 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

The more I hear about this kid the more I like him.

I totally agree, he sounds like a STEAL in the 3rd round I just hope whatever caused him to be suspended will be taken into consideration by Philbin since you're getting this kid in the 3rd. I watched a lot of video on him and he blocks well, catches with his hands, goes up high for the ball and has the speed to beat a LB!

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:09 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Take Eifert in the first round and give Tannehill that big red zone target. Use Eifert and Keller to torture defenses just like the Pats use Gronkowski and Hernandez. Get cornerbacks and pass rushers after that. I am still hoping we sign a free agent tackle or trade for an OT so that we don't have to use another first round pick on the O-line.

I'd love to have Eifert, but he's a reach at 12. Better to grab him in the second round.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:00 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
degs wrote:
jammer wrote:

sure is! And he doesn;t fit what Miami does at all.

I agree. The worst part is Kiper talks about drafting him as a right tackle. At 12???

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:00 am

degs wrote:
jammer wrote:

Not according to the majority of mock drafts. While Kiper has him at the highest I've seen, I've seen other mocks put him at between 13 and 21.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:17 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TommyNoleFin wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

I'd love to have Eifert, but he's a reach at 12. Better to grab him in the second round.

I don't think Eifert makes it out of the first round. If he did slip into the second, it is even harder imagine him sliding down to our position in that round.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:39 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

I don't think Eifert makes it out of the first round. If he did slip into the second, it is even harder imagine him sliding down to our position in that round.

Eifert will go in the 1st round, most likely in the mid to low 20's. Ertz, the Stanford TE will go in the 2nd round. Kelce to me is just as talented and the only reason he will be there in the 3rd round are the character concerns. He has the speed to get vertical in the seam and he is probably a better run blocker than any of the two guys that will go in rounds 1 & 2. That is an important nugget to this regime.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]