View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:27 pm



Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson 
Author Message
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
The Palm Beach Post "keep(s) hearing" the Dolphins will target Oklahoma LT Lane Johnson with their first pick, but that landing him would require trading up.
With three top-54 picks and five in the first 82, Miami has more than enough ammo to make a move. The Fins have hinted at big draft plans, and we'd expect GM Jeff Ireland to aggressively explore trades. Johnson could go as high as No. 5 to the Lions, so Ireland would have to put together a serious package. Ireland seems to be GMing for his job this offseason, so anything is possible.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:09 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5115
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Personally, I'm hoping the Chiefs pass on drafting an offensive tackle in the 1st round. In addition, I'm also hoping that the Eagles take Eric Fisher over Luke Joeckel. That way Joeckel will be sitting there at #6. Then we could trade up for Joeckel. I'd be perfectly fine giving up a 2nd round pick to make that deal. But if we're dealing with Johnson. Then I'd wait and see if he falls to #10. Then I'd offer up a 4th as compensation to move in front of San Diego.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:33 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
I think Cleveland is the team we need to trade with. Arizona wants a left tackle at 7.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:45 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/4/2/41 ... hins-trade

Quote:
Miami and Cleveland as perfect trade partners

The key to any draft trade is to beat another team to a player. Miami and Cleveland just make sense. The Dolphins now need a left tackle and there are three good ones in the draft. By the time the Browns pick sixth, Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher should be gone. After Lane Johnson is gone, the quality at left tackle evaporates. If the Cardinals don't go up from seven for a quarterback, they may sit on getting Lane Johnson. But the Browns, without a second-round pick, may be willing to drop to Miami's spot at 12 to get extra picks.

In general, Miami has plenty of ammunition to move. The Dolphins have five of the first 82 picks in the draft. With those picks, and given how many players they added in free agency, the Dolphins could be active.


By the time the Browns pick sixth, Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher should be gone. After Lane Johnson is gone, the quality at left tackle evaporates.

exactly what I said the other day, so much for 'we can fix the tackle position in round 2.'
and the whole 'marginal talent difference' between the top 3 and the other tackles.
It's a dramatic difference.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:01 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20599
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
swerve13 wrote:
http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/4/2/4176370/2013-nfl-draft-miami-dolphins-trade

Quote:
Miami and Cleveland as perfect trade partners

The key to any draft trade is to beat another team to a player. Miami and Cleveland just make sense. The Dolphins now need a left tackle and there are three good ones in the draft. By the time the Browns pick sixth, Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher should be gone. After Lane Johnson is gone, the quality at left tackle evaporates. If the Cardinals don't go up from seven for a quarterback, they may sit on getting Lane Johnson. But the Browns, without a second-round pick, may be willing to drop to Miami's spot at 12 to get extra picks.

In general, Miami has plenty of ammunition to move. The Dolphins have five of the first 82 picks in the draft. With those picks, and given how many players they added in free agency, the Dolphins could be active.


By the time the Browns pick sixth, Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher should be gone. After Lane Johnson is gone, the quality at left tackle evaporates.

exactly what I said the other day, so much for 'we can fix the tackle position in round 2.'
and the whole 'marginal talent difference' between the top 3 and the other tackles.
It's a dramatic difference.


Because a FANSITE said it? That author's opinion is just as valid as anyone's here.

_________________
Image


Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:49 am
Profile
Online
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8397
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Quote:
exactly what I said the other day, so much for 'we can fix the tackle position in round 2.'
and the whole 'marginal talent difference' between the top 3 and the other tackles.
It's a dramatic difference.


I used to feel the same way about the OL, but as Rich said the other day, it's now a passing league and quarterbacks get the ball out quickly. If Lane Johnson is there I would draft him, but the Patriots have never drafted anyone in the first half of the first round, and they have one of the best OLs in the NFL.

New England Patriots starting offensive line:

LT Nate Solder - NFL Draft: 2011 / Round: 1 / Pick: 17
LG Logan Mankins - NFL Draft: 2005 / Round: 1 / Pick: 32
C Ryan Wendell - Undrafted in 2008
RG Dan Connolly - Undrafted in 2005
RT Sebastian Vollmer - NFL Draft: 2009 / Round: 2 / Pick: 58

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:04 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3247
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Does it have to be a LT that is taken, why not a RT?


Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:04 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 3812
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Hell if we're gonna go offensive lineman I'd almost rather wait and take Chance Warmack to solidify the interior or trade down and snag DJ Fluker, the dude with the biggest arm span.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:18 am
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5728
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
exactly what I said the other day, so much for 'we can fix the tackle position in round 2.'
and the whole 'marginal talent difference' between the top 3 and the other tackles.
It's a dramatic difference.


Man, I didn't know that these guys are already in the NFL playing lights out! Just like there has never been a 1st rd tackle bust and/or 4th-7th rd or even undrafted gems (see Pats rightside).


Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:21 am
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Posts: 465
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
IamPZ wrote:
Hell if we're gonna go offensive lineman I'd almost rather wait and take Chance Warmack to solidify the interior or trade down and snag DJ Fluker, the dude with the biggest arm span.

Guy i want is Fluker a big time player on the right side and we dont have to give up picks for him. I think that this is a smoke screen because we never hear about the dolphins making draft day trades this early and actually doing that exact trade


Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:24 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5425
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Ever consider Ireland is floating this out there to get other teams nervous to make moves up so that a player or two that he really wants is able to fall to Miami?

Again, I feel like a hypocrite saying this after having some fun with a mock draft trade up, but after some reflection I thought if Miami wasn't willing to trade up to get the guy they pegged as their franchise QB then why would they deal for a left tackle? Unless of course the price is so ridiculously cheap, like pennies on the dollar, its probably not happening.

One move that could make some short term sense is if no one is dealing for Albert by draft day maybe Miami can swing a pick for him as a one year stop gap on the left side to buy themselves evaluation time with Martin (Holy run on sentence!). And by pick I mean maybe KC accepts a 3rd rounder just to unload the contract and the fact that Albert might sit out.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:26 am
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Posts: 465
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
jammer wrote:
Ever consider Ireland is floating this out there to get other teams nervous to make moves up so that a player or two that he really wants is able to fall to Miami?

Again, I feel like a hypocrite saying this after having some fun with a mock draft trade up, but after some reflection I thought if Miami wasn't willing to trade up to get the guy they pegged as their franchise QB then why would they deal for a left tackle? Unless of course the price is so ridiculously cheap, like pennies on the dollar, its probably not happening.

One move that could make some short term sense is if no one is dealing for Albert by draft day maybe Miami can swing a pick for him as a one year stop gap on the left side to buy themselves evaluation time with Martin (Holy run on sentence!). And by pick I mean maybe KC accepts a 3rd rounder just to unload the contract and the fact that Albert might sit out.

Millner possibly because you gotta think with this oline and dline run, Patterson maybe being a top 10 pick and qbs always get overdrafted so it isnt impossible for Millner to fall, he isnt Peterson or Claiborne so watch out


Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:36 am
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5728
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Miami wasn't willing to trade up to get the guy they pegged as their franchise QB then why would they deal for a left tackle?

Good point.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:43 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5425
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
I truly think we're going to see some movement in the top 10 due to the lack of elite guys. I think some of the top teams will toss out the value chart and look to simply net an extra 2nd and/or 3rd round pick.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:45 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 1480
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Maybe I need to watch more NCAA, but I don't see ANY of these guys worth trading up for. I would rather see the Dolphins trade back and get more picks than give picks up, or just get the best guy available at #12. I bet this draft is loaded with busts.

_________________
Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jim Valvano


Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:36 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1149
Location: Charlotte, NC
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Depending on which mock draft you read, 3-5 O-Linemen will be taken in the top 10, with most projecting Joekel to be the no.1 overall pick. Seems to state, teams are placing a priority on the O-Line.

It may not be glamorous like WR, but the O-line is our greatest area of need. Seems logical we would make a big play for a versatile LT or RT like Johnson.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:42 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/4/2/4176370/2013-nfl-draft-miami-dolphins-trade

Quote:
Miami and Cleveland as perfect trade partners

The key to any draft trade is to beat another team to a player. Miami and Cleveland just make sense. The Dolphins now need a left tackle and there are three good ones in the draft. By the time the Browns pick sixth, Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher should be gone. After Lane Johnson is gone, the quality at left tackle evaporates. If the Cardinals don't go up from seven for a quarterback, they may sit on getting Lane Johnson. But the Browns, without a second-round pick, may be willing to drop to Miami's spot at 12 to get extra picks.

In general, Miami has plenty of ammunition to move. The Dolphins have five of the first 82 picks in the draft. With those picks, and given how many players they added in free agency, the Dolphins could be active.


By the time the Browns pick sixth, Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher should be gone. After Lane Johnson is gone, the quality at left tackle evaporates.

exactly what I said the other day, so much for 'we can fix the tackle position in round 2.'
and the whole 'marginal talent difference' between the top 3 and the other tackles.
It's a dramatic difference.


Because a FANSITE said it? That author's opinion is just as valid as anyone's here.


seriously Rich, I've been following the draft process closely and it's true, there is a huge dropoff after the top 3. There is no "2nd tier" of tackles this year. the 3rd tier would be Fluker, Watson and Armstead. Those 3 are nowhere near as good as the top 3.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:32 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
IamPZ wrote:
Hell if we're gonna go offensive lineman I'd almost rather wait and take Chance Warmack to solidify the interior or trade down and snag DJ Fluker, the dude with the biggest arm span.


Fluker's not a fit for a zone system.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:34 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
ag_fin_90 wrote:
IamPZ wrote:
Hell if we're gonna go offensive lineman I'd almost rather wait and take Chance Warmack to solidify the interior or trade down and snag DJ Fluker, the dude with the biggest arm span.

Guy i want is Fluker a big time player on the right side and we dont have to give up picks for him. I think that this is a smoke screen because we never hear about the dolphins making draft day trades this early and actually doing that exact trade


again, not a fit. We need one of the top 3, zone systems need athletic tackles


Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:35 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
shularino wrote:
Depending on which mock draft you read, 3-5 O-Linemen will be taken in the top 10, with most projecting Joekel to be the no.1 overall pick. Seems to state, teams are placing a priority on the O-Line.

It may not be glamorous like WR, but the O-line is our greatest area of need. Seems logical we would make a big play for a versatile LT or RT like Johnson.


it's not what teams are doing, thats just the best talent avaliable in the draft.
The top 10 is dominated by line.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:38 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20599
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
swerve13 wrote:
seriously Rich, I've been following the draft process closely and it's true, there is a huge dropoff after the top 3.


That's interesting because NFL.com, which follows the draft process more closely than you ever could and knows more than you ever will grades Lane Johnson with an 86.9 and Terron Armstead with an 84.0, D.J. Fluker with an 85.5 and Menelik Watson with an 85.0.

So where is the huge drop off?

Seems to me there are at least three tackles that are 2nd tier and in this draft lacking in true elite players, it seems there isn't much of a difference between the 1st and 2nd tier.

Of course, we're all just speculating here, that is something you might want to keep in mind when you're busy posting your OPINIONS as if they were law.

_________________
Image


Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:41 pm
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5728
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
seriously Rich, I've been following the draft process closely and it's true, there is a huge dropoff after the top 3. There is no "2nd tier" of tackles this year. the 3rd tier would be Fluker, Watson and Armstead. Those 3 are nowhere near as good as the top 3.

You do know your draft, for sure. My problem with the draft is that we really don't know who is 1st tier 2nd tier ETC until they are drafted and play in the NFL. I would be willing to bet that not all three of them become starters. I will also be willng to bet that a "3rd tier" and/or a UDFA OLineman will become a starter in the NFL. THe key is finding the players later in the draft which is also a gamble. It's too much of a gamble to trade picks to move up for an unknown. More picks, more players, more of a chance to find a gem. Bet all your money on red? Or put some money on red and then put the rest spread out on a few numbers before the roll.....


Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:41 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
seriously Rich, I've been following the draft process closely and it's true, there is a huge dropoff after the top 3.


That's interesting because NFL.com, which follows the draft process more closely than you ever could and knows more than you ever will grades Lane Johnson with an 86.9 and Terron Armstead with an 84.0, D.J. Fluker with an 85.5 and Menelik Watson with an 85.0.

So where is the huge drop off?

Seems to me there are at least three tackles that are 2nd tier and in this draft lacking in true elite players, it seems there isn't much of a difference between the 1st and 2nd tier.

Of course, we're all just speculating here, that is something you might want to keep in mind when you're busy posting your OPINIONS as if they were law.


those nfl.com rankings are iffy......i really don't think they're using the top evaluators rankings.
I think it's just something they can throw on their draft site to make it seem appealing to fans.
I'll concede to you when it comes to salary cap matters, but I follow draft analysis alot closer than you do.
I don't just run to NFL.com when i need a quick answer.
I follow a variety of scouts opinions for months leading up to any draft.

If Fluker is so closely rated to the top 3 then why is he never predicted in the top 15?
He's usually found at the very bottom of round 1.


Last edited by swerve13 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:16 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Makchell wrote:
seriously Rich, I've been following the draft process closely and it's true, there is a huge dropoff after the top 3. There is no "2nd tier" of tackles this year. the 3rd tier would be Fluker, Watson and Armstead. Those 3 are nowhere near as good as the top 3.

You do know your draft, for sure. My problem with the draft is that we really don't know who is 1st tier 2nd tier ETC until they are drafted and play in the NFL. I would be willing to bet that not all three of them become starters. I will also be willng to bet that a "3rd tier" and/or a UDFA OLineman will become a starter in the NFL. THe key is finding the players later in the draft which is also a gamble. It's too much of a gamble to trade picks to move up for an unknown. More picks, more players, more of a chance to find a gem. Bet all your money on red? Or put some money on red and then put the rest spread out on a few numbers before the roll.....


It's all a gamble for sure but all anyone can do is work with the evidence they have leading up to any draft.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:18 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
I'm fully convinced this trade up for Johnson talk is a smoke screen. I think Ireland is trying to drive Albert and/or WInston's price down.

I'd be shocked if they moved up for Johnson the way this Off Season has gone.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:21 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
here's just one scouting website I found that only gives Joeckel, Fisher and Johnson 1st round grades.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/rankings ... kings.html


CBS sports has 4 of them in the 1st round.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/pros ... gs/2013/OT


Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:26 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20599
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
swerve13 wrote:
those nfl.com rankings are iffy......i really don't think they're using the top evaluators rankings


How convenient.

Quote:
I'll concede to you when it comes to salary cap matters, but I follow draft analysis alot closer than you do.


How do you know? Just because I don't spend all day posting about the draft doesn't mean I don't look at information from all the different analysts, see video on YouTube, watch the Combine etc.

I do, there are just so many other guys talking about the draft and virtually no one talking about the cap.

Don't make assumptions about things you know nothing about.

Quote:
I follow a variety of scouts opinions for months leading up to any draft.


Yes, yes... I'm very impressed. I've got a tingle up my leg.

Quote:
If Fluker is so closely rated to the top 3 then why is he never predicted in the top 15?

He's usually found at the very bottom of round 1.


Walter Football has him going 18th to the Cowboys.

CBS Sports - 6 of their 8 analysts have him going top 20, including a few 18th to the Cowboys.

Scott Wright has him going 19th to the Giants.

Seems like NFL.com's grade is in line with a lot of sites that publish mocks.

Those are not the "very bottom" of the 1st round. That's mid first round, just a few picks below Lane Johnson in most of those mocks.

And just a tip... patting yourself on the back about how much you supposedly study the draft isn't doing you any favors.

I trust Phins Rock and Tony's opinion a lot more, sorry to tell you.

_________________
Image


Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:27 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Quote:
Alabama RT D.J. Fluker managed just 21 reps of 225 pounds on the Combine bench press.
It's a low total, although somewhat forgivable since Fluker has ridiculous 36 3/4-inch arms. Fluker also shed 16 pounds before the Combine, dropping his weight from 355 to 339. It's quite possible he lost some muscle along the way.


we really don't need another Jonathan Martin


Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:28 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20599
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
Alabama RT D.J. Fluker managed just 21 reps of 225 pounds on the Combine bench press.
It's a low total, although somewhat forgivable since Fluker has ridiculous 36 3/4-inch arms. Fluker also shed 16 pounds before the Combine, dropping his weight from 355 to 339. It's quite possible he lost some muscle along the way.


we really don't need another Jonathan Martin


For a guy who professes to study the draft so closely, that's a puzzling comment about Fluker, who is well known for his power blocking and strength.

Offensive linemen are not lifting 225 lbs when the block. They are using their legs and hips as well as their arms.

As what you quoted pointed out, he has long arms. Anyone who knows anything about benching knows longer arms present a bigger challenge as far as reps. That's why you typically see shorter armed guards and centers or stout interior defensive linemen get higher reps than the offensive tackles and defensive ends.

Fluker was blocking SEC players.

His strength won't be a concern in the NFL.

His feet on the other hand...

_________________
Image


Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:32 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Quote:
And just a tip... patting yourself on the back about how much you supposedly study the draft isn't doing you any favors.

I trust Phins Rock and Tony's opinion a lot more, sorry to tell you.


you shouldn't be allowed to write garbage like this. Soon as a topic gets heated you go right to the insults like a 9 year old. CLASSLESS!!!!
That's what I've come to expect from you. So have many others here.

And I have no problems with PR or Tony.
But I am confident in my draft knowledge.
Keep it classy Rich! I'm done with you.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:32 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3993
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
swerve13 wrote:

we really don't need another Jonathan Martin

Expand on please. Have you already written Martin off?


Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:35 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Quote:
NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah believes Oklahoma LT Lane Johnson has the "most upside of any offensive lineman" in the entire draft, and is the "ideal candidate" to replace Jake Long in Miami.
Johnson is generally considered the third best tackle in the draft behind Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher, but he's by far the most athletic of the three. He's also the most raw, but that won't stop teams from projecting his talent. The Palm Beach Post reported Tuesday it "(keeps) hearing" the Dolphins will target Johnson with their first pick, but that landing him will require trading up. The Dolphins have the draft-pick cache and impatience to do what it takes to move up.


-Rotoworld


Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:35 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Dphins4me wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

we really don't need another Jonathan Martin

Expand on please. Have you already written Martin off?


meaning we don't need 2 tackles that aren't strong in the weight room.
Fluker just isn't a fit IMO for our zone system.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:36 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20599
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
swerve13 wrote:
you shouldn't be allowed to write garbage like this.


You shouldn't be allowed to write garbage like this.

Quote:
I don't just run to NFL.com when i need a quick answer


Sorry if the stone you cast came back at you ten-fold, but you asked for it with your arrogant comment.

_________________
Image


Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:40 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah believes Oklahoma LT Lane Johnson has the "most upside of any offensive lineman" in the entire draft, and is the "ideal candidate" to replace Jake Long in Miami.
Johnson is generally considered the third best tackle in the draft behind Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher, but he's by far the most athletic of the three. He's also the most raw, but that won't stop teams from projecting his talent. The Palm Beach Post reported Tuesday it "(keeps) hearing" the Dolphins will target Johnson with their first pick, but that landing him will require trading up. The Dolphins have the draft-pick cache and impatience to do what it takes to move up.


-Rotoworld


He's athletic as hell, but I wonder how he would compare to Kyle Long if they stayed another year in school, or Armstead if he was at a big program. Probably goes ahead of them, but is he as far ahead as he is now? I don't think so. That's why I'm fine with Kyle Long, for example. He's not where the Big 3 are development wise, but he down the road he should be a heck of a player.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:45 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3993
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
swerve13 wrote:
Fluker just isn't a fit IMO for our zone system.

Who ever Akbar Gbajabiamila is on NFL.com has Miami drafting him at 12.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:53 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20599
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Phins Rock wrote:
He's athletic as hell, but I wonder how he would compare to Kyle Long if they stayed another year in school, or Armstead if he was at a big program. Probably goes ahead of them, but is he as far ahead as he is now? I don't think so. That's why I'm fine with Kyle Long, for example. He's not where the Big 3 are development wise, but he down the road he should be a heck of a player.


I'm not sure how I feel about Long.

Do you think he would be a better fit at guard than tackle?

He has the height to play tackle, but the length if his arms is slightly shorter than other tackles. He also seems to struggle a bit in space.

Anyway, what do I know. I just run to NFL.com when I don't know something in between figuring out base salaries for our new free agents.

_________________
Image


Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:53 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20599
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Dphins4me wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Fluker just isn't a fit IMO for our zone system.

Who ever Akbar Gbajabiamila is on NFL.com has Miami drafting him at 12.


Yeah but its NFL.com... what would they know about the NFL?

_________________
Image


Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:54 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
He's athletic as hell, but I wonder how he would compare to Kyle Long if they stayed another year in school, or Armstead if he was at a big program. Probably goes ahead of them, but is he as far ahead as he is now? I don't think so. That's why I'm fine with Kyle Long, for example. He's not where the Big 3 are development wise, but he down the road he should be a heck of a player.


I'm not sure how I feel about Long.

Do you think he would be a better fit at guard than tackle?

He has the height to play tackle, but the length if his arms is slightly shorter than other tackles. He also seems to struggle a bit in space.

Anyway, what do I know. I just run to NFL.com when I don't know something in between figuring out base salaries for our new free agents.

:) :)

I do actually like him at guard a lot too. Right now more than at tackle, but I don't anticipate that being the case longterm. He's unbelievable when he pulls and he gets to the 2nd level so easily. I think he'd be a great fit.

Long has only been playing on the OL for 2 seasons, and has only been at a D1 school for 1. Before that he was a DE and DT at (I believe) a community college (I think that's what Saddleback University classifies as). So he's still very new to the position and to playing OL at all. To be as good as he is already is pretty ridiculous I think.

I'm no coach, but I think you can tell pretty easily his hands and feet aren't consistent. But he's so athletic, nasty and naturally strong and I've seen more than enough to feel comfortable with him developing into a pretty good player, personally.

I like him a lot more than I liked Martin a year ago.


Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:42 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3247
Post Re: Lots and lots of smoke! Dolphins targeting Lane Johnson
Quote:
OmarKelly profile

OmarKelly However, there probably isn't a "draft expert" out there who wouldn't tell you trading up for Lane Johnson is a smart move. Perspective.


OmarKelly What most people who don't follow the draft closely fail to realize is that your options at LT AFTER Lane Johnson aren't very solid.


https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=OmarKelly


Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:51 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.