View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Brent Grimes strikes deal with Dolphins 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Brent Grimes strikes deal with Dolphins
Rich wrote:
10acjed wrote:
If he does not make the roster, he does not get paid...

Yes, he does. There are $3 million in guarantees, which includes a $2.25 million signing bonus.

That money is paid and counts against the cap no matter what happens.

Yep, Grimes is at the bare minimum an expensive stop gap for us this season. Ireland is obviously banking on him being 100% and ready to start week one.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:13 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Rock Sexton wrote:
Information on NFL players and achilles tears .....

Quote:
Compared to the general population, athletes in the National Football League (NFL) are at increased risk for injury because the game involves explosive acceleration and sudden changes in direction.3 Very little is known about the epidemiology of Achilles tendon ruptures in the NFL. Utilizing data publicly available on the Internet, one retrospective review identified 31 Achilles tendon ruptures in NFL players over a five-year period (5.2 injuries/year).3 During the 2008-2009 NFL season, six players suffered season-ending Achilles tendon ruptures. Although the incidence of Achilles rupture is low, 0.93% per NFL game, nearly 36% of affected players never return to playing at the NFL level.3

Parekh et al used a player’s power rating as a measure of functional outcome in the evaluation of “skill players” in the NFL, which included defensive tackles, cornerbacks, linebackers, wide receivers, and running backs.3 The power rating is a measure of a player’s performance using statistics gathered during game play, such as passing and rushing yards for an offensive player and tackles and interceptions for a defensive player. This study showed that 31 acute Achilles tendon ruptures occurred in NFL players between 1997 and 2002. The average age of a player sustaining a rupture was 29, with an average career before injury spanning six years.

Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury.

The percentage of players returning to play at the NFL level is consistent with a meta-analysis performed by Bhandari4 in 2002. The authors reported return to function rates of 63% for patients treated nonoperatively and 71% for those treated operatively. If we assume that all the NFL players were treated operatively, as would be the standard for young athletes, the return to play rate of 64% is slightly lower than the 71% reported in the meta-analysis. This difference could be attributed to the excessive demands placed on the operatively repaired Achilles tendon in NFL players combined with a body size, strength, and explosiveness that would further increase these demands.

The length of time to allow full activity after Achilles tendon repair is generally thought to be four to six months.4-6 The 11 months needed to return to play as a professional football player seems considerably longer. However, there is a major difference between allowing full activity and returning to play in the NFL. Even when the typical patient is allowed to participate in full activity, it does not mean that he or she is adequately rehabilitated to perform at maximal efforts. Studies to determine maximal improvement after surgical treatment are lacking in the orthopedic literature.

Furthermore, in the reviewed 21 NFL skill players who returned to play, there were significant decreases in games played per season (11.67 games per year pre-injury versus 6.17 games per year postinjury) when averaged over the three seasons before the injury and the three seasons after the injury.3 There were also decreases averaging nearly 50% in power ratings of the returning players for the three seasons after the injury compared to the three seasons before the injury. These data indicate that even in players able to return to their former level of play, the quality of play may suffer permanently.

http://lowerextremityreview.com/article ... on-rupture

I'll bet he blows out another knee before training camp is over. He's the worst ever ever

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:56 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Ha! where did Debbie Downer come from?

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Okay.

Miami overpaid Grimes at 5.5 million.

Quote:
Per ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Asomugha agreed to a one-year contract worth as much as $3 million.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:24 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
If Asomugha is going to bounce-back, San Francisco is the place to do it, but it's possible his physical skills have eroded to the point he can no longer be even a serviceable player. Asomugha is going on age 32 and was burnt as regularly as any cornerback in football last season in Philadelphia

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/ ... -$25m-deal

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:21 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Dphins4me wrote:
Okay.

Miami overpaid Grimes at 5.5 million.

Quote:
Per ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Asomugha agreed to a one-year contract worth as much as $3 million.

Asomugha was the 101st ranked corner in 2012 according to PFF.

He was targetted 66 times, allowed 44 completions for 698 yards, 5 TDs and 1 INT. That is a QB rating of 120.6.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Grimes is younger, and was playing at a much higher level than Asamougha was before the injury. If he's participating at OTAs and he's ready to go for training camp, then I don't see a big problem with our deal.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:34 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I'll bet he blows out another knee before training camp is over. He's the worst ever ever

Why do I smell a troll?

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

He was targetted 66 times, allowed 44 completions for 698 yards, 5 TDs and 1 INT. That is a QB rating of 120.6.
Yea, I know he had a rough yr last year. Just saying Grimes coming off his injury is worth almost double? Just pointing it out.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:34 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yea, I know he had a rough yr last year. Just saying Grimes coming off his injury is worth almost double? Just pointing it out.

He had a rough year the year before as well, ranked 88th overall while Grimes was ranked 3rd overall.

Asomugha is a rapidly declining player.

Grimes may or may not be. We'll know more by training camp.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:42 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
He had a rough year the year before as well, ranked 88th overall while Grimes was ranked 3rd overall.

Asomugha is a rapidly declining player.
Is he rapidly declining or just did not fit in Philly? I'm sure he is not the player he was 2 Yrs ago, but find it extremely rare that he was so great in '10, but in '11 he had lost so much. Right now I have to look at a player who chased the money, but found he did not fit in.

Rich wrote:
Grimes may or may not be. We'll know more by training camp.

Which is why I said. Double? Miami is paying double for may or may not?

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:47 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
Is he rapidly declining or just did not fit in Philly? I'm sure he is not the player he was 2 Yrs ago, but find it extremely rare that he was so great in '10, but in '11 he had lost so much. Right now I have to look at a player who chased the money, but found he did not fit in.

In 2010 he was ranked 28th overall. Certainly a huge drop off from 2010 to 2011. Grimes was 10th overall by the way.

Quote:
Which is why I said. Double? Miami is paying double for may or may not?

I'd pay double for may or may not over probably won't.

It is a calculated risk by the Dolphins and the rate of success for players coming off these types of injuries is higher than it was even 10 years ago (see Yeremiah Bell as a recent Dolphins example).

Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
It is a calculated risk by the Dolphins and the rate of success for players coming off these types of injuries is higher than it was even 10 years ago (see Yeremiah Bell as a recent Dolphins example).

I like Grimes. Just found it odd on the double dollar amount considering both are coming with huge questions marks. Which is what I was surprised when it was reported he signed a 1 Yr deal for 5.5. I thought he would be in the 3 million range also.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rather have Grimes than the problem child/injury prone Talib..And he got the same.

One years deals for quality usually is a little high...Asomugha is soft..He is a speed guy that is getting old

Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:59 pm

And Sean Smith got $6 mil a year... which is befuddling considering his lack of productivity.

Forget his measureables, the guy's head is somewhere else when he is in the game.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:07 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Hey Phin nice to hear from you again. Just post under Phin instead of a made up name, stop trolling, you aren't fishing.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2