View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 PFW rates Justin Hunter best WR in draft 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post PFW rates Justin Hunter best WR in draft
OmarKelly WOW....PFW has Tennessee's Justin Hunter as the top rated WR of this draft. Hunter>Allen>Patterson>Austin>Hopkins. Shocker!

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:26 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: PFW rates Justin Hunter best WR in draft
love his talent, when hes on he looks like AJ Green

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:42 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

ag_fin_90 wrote:

Very talented kid that was having a special year when he tore up his knee against Florida in the 3rd game of 2011. Came back and has been inconsistent catching the ball since the injury.

Came back with a 73-1,083-9 TD performance last year.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:47 pm

These players can all be rated differently depending on perspective and need.

If you're looking for an outside target that can threaten the defense vertically, you might value a player like Hunter more.

If you're looking for a project with a high ceiling and terrific athletic ability, you might like Patterson more.

If you're looking for a versatile player who can run the ball, return punts, and turn short catches into big gains, you might value Austin more.

It is all a matter of perspective.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:55 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

phinsfansc wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:

Very talented kid that was having a special year when he tore up his knee against Florida in the 3rd game of 2011. Came back and has been inconsistent catching the ball since the injury.

I trust that he will be a stud in the league

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:58 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

ag_fin_90 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:

I trust that he will be a stud in the league

He certainly has the potential to be.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:35 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Add this factor at 6'4 he's taller then Gibson, Wallace, Hartline, Bess and Keller so instantly a big red zone target also. Within a 4/5 wr set in the middle of the field i will love his chances

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

If you're looking for an outside target that can threaten the defense vertically, you might value a player like Hunter more.

If you're looking for a project with a high ceiling and terrific athletic ability, you might like Patterson more.

If you're looking for a versatile player who can run the ball, return punts, and turn short catches into big gains, you might value Austin more.

I've said many times: it's funny how "best player available" changes depends upon a teams needs.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:47 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I really don't see Miami going WR with the pick, but I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Dolphins jersey. He's a special combination of size and talent.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

ag_fin_90 wrote:
Add this factor at 6'4 he's taller then Gibson, Wallace, Hartline, Bess and Keller so instantly a big red zone target also. Within a 4/5 wr set in the middle of the field i will love his chances

I'd like to make him our red zone guy at pick 42 if still available.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:42 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

from the few game I saw of him I was really unimpressed. I would rather the fins stay away from drafting the kid altogether. He had quite a few dropped balls from what I saw, seemed like lack of concentration and not bad throws.

I only watched about 4 games and they were all this past season, so a very limited sample size, but I didn't like what I saw. Patterson looked like a superhero in the games I watched while Hunter looked like an everyday pedestrian.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It's no mystery, I was a big fan of us targeting this guy in the 2nd round from the get go. I think he has big play receiver written all over him. But he'd definitely be a luxury pick. In my opinion, if he's there in the early 2nd, and our staff sees him as being able to compete with Hartline for the other starting job across from Wallace, I say pull the trigger. Even though I'd like to see us target Banks and Amerson in the 2nd round, I would be more than fine if we made a move to get Hunter.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:37 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

degs wrote:

I've said many times: it's funny how "best player available" changes depends upon a teams needs.

The biggest mistake a team can make IMO is drafting for need. Teams will pass on better players to fill a need.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:28 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

keebler_kahn wrote:
from the few game I saw of him I was really unimpressed. I would rather the fins stay away from drafting the kid altogether. He had quite a few dropped balls from what I saw, seemed like lack of concentration and not bad throws.

I only watched about 4 games and they were all this past season, so a very limited sample size, but I didn't like what I saw. Patterson looked like a superhero in the games I watched while Hunter looked like an everyday pedestrian.

I am surprised that PFW thinks he the best WR in this draft also. I think he is inconsistent catching the ball as well.

Talented kid no doubt. It just tells you how much opinions can vary on kids.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:09 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

phinsfansc wrote:
keebler_kahn wrote:

I am surprised that PFW thinks he the best WR in this draft also. I think he is inconsistent catching the ball as well.

Talented kid no doubt. It just tells you how much opinions can vary on kids.

Also, you have to remember that UT was terrible. Patterson, Bray, Hunter and hell the whole team underachieved added on with just getting back from the acl injury i will take his great times before. If he is there for our 2nd pick, not the first but the 2nd ill take that

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:30 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

He's a great value in that 35 to 45 range

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:34 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

wkloiber13 wrote:
It's no mystery, I was a big fan of us targeting this guy in the 2nd round from the get go. I think he has big play receiver written all over him. But he'd definitely be a luxury pick. In my opinion, if he's there in the early 2nd, and our staff sees him as being able to compete with Hartline for the other starting job across from Wallace, I say pull the trigger. Even though I'd like to see us target Banks and Amerson in the 2nd round, I would be more than fine if we made a move to get Hunter.

The more im thinking, the more i feel that trading down makes sense if we can so we still stay in the first and get a day 2 pick so if we do then even if we go Albert at ot we have even more flexibility and still a high draft pick. Trade down and get the best cb or safety available

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:42 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ag_fin_90 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

The more im thinking, the more i feel that trading down makes sense if we can so we still stay in the first and get a day 2 pick so if we do then even if we go Albert at ot we have even more flexibility and still a high draft pick. Trade down and get the best cb or safety available

You don't need to trade down. Hunter will still probably be there when the Dolphins pick in the 2nd round. The Dolphins could take someone like Lane Johnson in the 1st, target Hunter and a CB like Banks or Amerson in the 2nd, and then look for more depth in the other rounds.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:15 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

wkloiber13 wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

You don't need to trade down. Hunter will still probably be there when the Dolphins pick in the 2nd round. The Dolphins could take someone like Lane Johnson in the 1st, target Hunter and a CB like Banks or Amerson in the 2nd, and then look for more depth in the other rounds.

I didnt say trade down for Hunter im saying if the tackle isnt there trade down for a cb or safety you can get in the back half of the 1st and hope for hunter in the 2nd

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Former Tennessee recruiting coordinator Darin Hinshaw touted Cordarrelle Patterson as a superior pro prospect to fellow former Vols wide receivers Justin Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers.
Hinshaw, now Cincinnati's QBs coach, recruited all three players. "He’s the best I’ve ever seen with the ball in his hands," Hinshaw said of Patterson. "He can make people miss, explode and get vertical. He made numerous people in the SEC look stupid who will be playing in the NFL, and I believe he’ll do the same at the next level. He’s not a one-year wonder. He’s a 15-year wonder in the NFL."

this is why I was so high on Patterson before we signed Wallace.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:18 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

I'll be shocked and elated if Johnson is still there when we pick at 12

Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
degs wrote:

The biggest mistake a team can make IMO is drafting for need. Teams will pass on better players to fill a need.

I completely disagree. As long as the the player they draft is at about the same level, then the team is better off with a player that can be a starter.
Having a great bench is a wonderful thing. But having 5 amazing WR's without a QB or a passrush does not help a team become successful.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:42 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

degs wrote:
I completely disagree. As long as the the player they draft is at about the same level, then the team is better off with a player that can be a starter..

How can you disagree, then in the very next statement, support what I posted?

Drafting for need will tend to lead you to drafting a player who is not worthy, but fills your need. Generally will lead to a bust.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
degs wrote:
I completely disagree. As long as the the player they draft is at about the same level, then the team is better off with a player that can be a starter..

How can you disagree, then in the very next statement, support what I posted?

Drafting for need will tend to lead you to drafting a player who is not worthy, but fills your need. Generally will lead to a bust.

Quote:
The biggest mistake a team can make IMO is drafting for need.

When I said "can be a starter" I meant a player that fills a need.

For example, if the BPA is a center, the Dolphins can draft that player for depth, but it is not likely that player will be a starter for the Dolphins. So the Dolphins would be better off drafting a CB who is in that same tier, but not necessarily the BPA, because that player can contribute far more than a guy who is going to be a backup for the foreseeable future.

IMO 90%+ of picks are made by teams drafting for needs. Unless a player is clearly the BPA teams go for a player who fits their need. Even if a player is clearly the BPA, most teams will pass them over for a player at a position of need.

Obviously my thoughts change if you have a very solid team with no real holes. Very few teams are in that state.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:43 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:

If only you could draft all three of them. You'd have your complete receiver set. Patterson is your possession receiver, Hunter as the deep threat, Austin in the slot.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:54 am
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

TommyNoleFin wrote:
If only you could draft all three of them. You'd have your complete receiver set. Patterson is your possession receiver, Hunter as the deep threat, Austin in the slot.

First time I've heard Patterson being calls a possession receiver.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:02 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Titans WRs coach Shawn Jefferson has "continued to ride" rookie Justin Hunter in training camp, "demanding more intensity and mental toughness."
Per the Tennessean's John Glennon, Jefferson "lit up" Hunter "with some choice language" following a Tuesday practice drill. Hunter has drawn the ire of coaches and teammates (e.g. Bernard Pollard) alike through the first week of camp. Known as soft both mentally and in terms of on-field play at Tennessee, Hunter will have to take a big leap to be a serious rookie-season factor.

So glad we didn't take this guy. 3 separate reports this week of him being chewed out by coaches and players for not trying hard enough. He's an Egnew.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]