View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Hyde5: Rating 5 popular mock picks of Dolphins 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Hyde5: Rating 5 popular mock picks of Dolphins
Quote:
A. Xavier Rhodes, CB. He’s the most popular pick in the mock drafts (CNNSI.com’s Don Banks, ESPN’s Todd McShay, Sun-Sentinel’s Omar Kelly) for an obvious reason of need meets talent. Why he’d be a Dolphin: All the Dolphins top corners come with questions of health (Brent Grimes, Richard Marshall) or talent (Nolan Carroll, Dimitri Patterson). What separates Rhodes from other cornerbacks is his 6-1 ½ height. That draws the instant comparison to Sean Smith, who was listed at 6-3. Like Smith, Rhodes’ strength is press coverage. Unlike Smith, Rhodes also is a good tackler who played the boundary at Florida State. What he wouldn’t be a Dolphin: The Dolphins didn’t play Smith in press coverage much last year in part because of the Kevin Coyle’s system, in part because it didn’t have a cornerback opposite him who could. That makes you wonder about Rhodes’ role. The NFL.com scouting report said of Rhodes: “Just don't ask him to play in zone, because Rhodes shows tight movements when forced to pass receivers to a separate area.”

B. D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama. This is what Mel Kiper has in his latest mock. Why he’d be a Dolphin: Tackle is the one position the Dolphins had a net-loss in during the free agency period with Jack Long signing with St. Louis. Having strengthened the passing game, they need someone to protect Ryan Tannehill. Why he wouldn’t be a Dolphin: Beyond whether players with more impact than right tackle can be taken at No. 12, My thought? This is too high for a right tackle and, assuming they move Jonathan Martin to left tackle, that's the position they'd be drafting. Fluker’s strength is his size (6-5, 339). His quickness is average. The Dolphins have moved to an offense where they want some mobility in their linemen, though not so much out of their tackles.

C. Ezekiel Ansah, DE, Brigham Young. Dane Brugler of NFL.com’s pick. Why he’s be a Dolphin: The Dolphins are looking for a pass rusher opposite Cameron Wake. Ansah is a buy based more on projection than any draft athlete as he possesses many physical traits of size and speed, but only began playing football in 2010. Why he wouldn’t be a Dolphin: While there is need for a pass rusher, the question of Oliver Vernon looms out there. What do the Dolphins think of him? If they took a pass rusher this high, it would say Vernon is seen as a special-teams player.

D. Chance Warmack, G, Alabama. Rob Rang of NFL.com picks him. Why he’d be a Dolphin: Warmack is a great guard at a position the Dolphins have some issues opposite Richie Incognito. Why he wouldn’t be a Dolphin: I’m in the Jimmy Johnson and Bill Polian School of Drafting – you never take a guard this high.

E. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia. He was a popular mock-draft pick for the Dolphins until the free-agent receiver signings by the Dolphins. Why he'd be a Dolphin: He's electric, can play multiple positions and gives the Dolphins even more options at receiver. Why he wouldn't be a Dolphin: This team has more pressing needs at this point.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 4179.story

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:03 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Hyde5: Rating 5 popular mock picks of Dolphins
Biting my tongue, but I would not mind seeing us pick up a LT to replace Jake... I just am not comfortable with what we have now, and our run game & o-line needs improvement over what we saw in the second half of last season...

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:13 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If I had to choose from that group, I would have to go with Austin. I would prefer Tufant.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:30 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Poorly written article overall... the paragraphs of why and why not were so uneven it's like he didn't really have an article at all and was just making stuff up.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:31 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Quote:
A. Xavier Rhodes, CB. He’s the most popular pick in the mock drafts (CNNSI.com’s Don Banks, ESPN’s Todd McShay, Sun-Sentinel’s Omar Kelly) for an obvious reason of need meets talent. Why he’d be a Dolphin: All the Dolphins top corners come with questions of health (Brent Grimes, Richard Marshall) or talent (Nolan Carroll, Dimitri Patterson). What separates Rhodes from other cornerbacks is his 6-1 ½ height. That draws the instant comparison to Sean Smith, who was listed at 6-3. Like Smith, Rhodes’ strength is press coverage. Unlike Smith, Rhodes also is a good tackler who played the boundary at Florida State. What he wouldn’t be a Dolphin: The Dolphins didn’t play Smith in press coverage much last year in part because of the Kevin Coyle’s system, in part because it didn’t have a cornerback opposite him who could. That makes you wonder about Rhodes’ role. The NFL.com scouting report said of Rhodes: “Just don't ask him to play in zone, because Rhodes shows tight movements when forced to pass receivers to a separate area.”

B. D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama. This is what Mel Kiper has in his latest mock. Why he’d be a Dolphin: Tackle is the one position the Dolphins had a net-loss in during the free agency period with Jack Long signing with St. Louis. Having strengthened the passing game, they need someone to protect Ryan Tannehill. Why he wouldn’t be a Dolphin: Beyond whether players with more impact than right tackle can be taken at No. 12, My thought? This is too high for a right tackle and, assuming they move Jonathan Martin to left tackle, that's the position they'd be drafting. Fluker’s strength is his size (6-5, 339). His quickness is average. The Dolphins have moved to an offense where they want some mobility in their linemen, though not so much out of their tackles.

C. Ezekiel Ansah, DE, Brigham Young. Dane Brugler of NFL.com’s pick. Why he’s be a Dolphin: The Dolphins are looking for a pass rusher opposite Cameron Wake. Ansah is a buy based more on projection than any draft athlete as he possesses many physical traits of size and speed, but only began playing football in 2010. Why he wouldn’t be a Dolphin: While there is need for a pass rusher, the question of Oliver Vernon looms out there. What do the Dolphins think of him? If they took a pass rusher this high, it would say Vernon is seen as a special-teams player.

D. Chance Warmack, G, Alabama. Rob Rang of NFL.com picks him. Why he’d be a Dolphin: Warmack is a great guard at a position the Dolphins have some issues opposite Richie Incognito. Why he wouldn’t be a Dolphin: I’m in the Jimmy Johnson and Bill Polian School of Drafting – you never take a guard this high.

E. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia. He was a popular mock-draft pick for the Dolphins until the free-agent receiver signings by the Dolphins. Why he'd be a Dolphin: He's electric, can play multiple positions and gives the Dolphins even more options at receiver. Why he wouldn't be a Dolphin: This team has more pressing needs at this point.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 4179.story

Everyone who frequents this forum knows how I feel about us picking Xavier Rhodes over Desmond Trufant. I'm not going to say anything more about that.

D.J. Fluker I like a lot, but I think the 12th pick is too high for him. I disagree with Mel and think he's more of a mid-20's prospect.

Ezekial Ansah is a player I didn't really know much about until I saw him just own at the combine. After seeing that and checking out some of his tape from college, I definitely wouldn't mind if he were the pick. There are better pass rushers out there, but they're likely to be gone before us.

Chance Warmack I'm still unsure of. He's definitely a Top 15 talent in my mind, but I'm just not sure that I like the idea of us taking a guard with the 12th pick when we have such glaring need at tackle.

Tavon Austin...well, there's a horse that's been beaten to death on this forum, so I won't touch that either

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

My pick is still Tyler Eifert. He is a true Offensive mismatch player and will cause problems for defenses because he is too fast for linebackers and too big for corners to cover.

Miami needs a red zone threat & this IMO would not be a wasted pick as he would start from day one.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:17 am

Ansah is the boom or bust player of this draft. He's even more inexperienced than Tannehill was coming out of college. His athleticism is freakish, but man he is a work in progress.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:48 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Ansah is the boom or bust player of this draft. He's even more inexperienced than Tannehill was coming out of college. His athleticism is freakish, but man he is a work in progress.

Agree, while I like his ability what is the difference between him & Vernon?

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 am

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

Ansah is a better pure athlete, has better length, etc.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:58 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

the difference is size, speed and athleticism.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:26 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Rich wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

I agree Rich. He a bigger, faster man, more fluid in his movement. He is indeed raw, but a coach like Clarence Brooks could do wonders with Enzekial. If he is the pick at #12, I would have no problems what so ever. I think that kid is going to be a STUD.

You guys know how I feel about Tavon Austin and also about Terron Armstead. He has a much talent and potential as the so called Big 3 and is freakish athletically. I think he would be an outstanding OLT that you can get in the 2nd round.

I also think Xavier Rhodes can make the adjustment and learn how to play zone. FSU played zone and man, so it not like he has not played zone coverage. Also, you see more and more of the bigger WR now in the league, and Rhodes can definitely matchup with those type of WR. I know we have guys on the board that love Desmond Trufant, and I think he is a very good CB, but I will take Rhodes and apologize to no one on this board about it.

Tyler Eifert is a good TE, but I saw Milliner and the crew from Alabama shut him down. I think the Kelce kid from Cincy can be just as good and is a better blocker. I'm definitely not for taking him at #12, but I know some are.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:38 am

he's so coveted by teams that he's actually been mentioned at #1 overall, and a very real possibility to the Jags at 2.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:47 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Tale of the Tape from each Combine.

Ezekiel Ansah

Height: 6052
Weight: 271
40 Yrd Dash: 4.56
20 Yrd Dash: 2.66
10 Yrd Dash: 1.62 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 21
Vertical Jump: 34 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.26
3-Cone Drill: 7.11

Olvier Vernon

Height: 6021
Weight: 261
40 Yrd Dash: 4.73
20 Yrd Dash: 2.70
10 Yrd Dash: 1.63 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 31
Vertical Jump: 34 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'02"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.50
3-Cone Drill: 7.39

Now the question. Is Vernon capable of handling the position & does he also have upside?

Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:09 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Ansah is a huge, athletic African who started playing football. Can he develop into a nice interior rusher on 3rd down? Sure, but it's not worth the risk, IMO. I also just don't see any explosion off the edge when he's in a 7 or wide 9. I think he's a DT in rush situations.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:56 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:
Ansah is a huge, athletic African who started playing football. Can he develop into a nice interior rusher on 3rd down? Sure, but it's not worth the risk, IMO. I also just don't see any explosion off the edge when he's in a 7 or wide 9. I think he's a DT in rush situations.

What type of explosion are you looking for, Dwight Freeney? He does not come off the line of scrimmage like a blur, but he has pass rush ability. His number were not far off of JPP coming out of South Florida his last year and he is indeed raw.

Kid has a motor and a desire to get better. Combine that with his physical package and a coach like Kacy Rodgers, the kid can take off. I darn sure think he can do better than 3.5 sacks, which is what Vernon did in 2012.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
Kid has a motor and a desire to get better. Combine that with his physical package and a coach like Kacy Rodgers, the kid can take off. I darn sure think he can do better than 3.5 sacks, which is what Vernon did in 2012.

I only know they had to talk him into playing football to begin with.

Also, really not right to knock Vernon's sack total last year, since he was drafted as a developmental prospect, which is what Ansah will also be.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:13 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Dphins4me wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Also, really not right to knock Vernon's sack total last year, since he was drafted as a developmental prospect, which is what Ansah will also be.

Lots of kids that have never played football or basketball from other countries are talked into trying out for sports they are not familiar with.

The Dolphins need more than they got from Vernon last year. If you consider that knocking what he did last year, so be it. You got Wake on the opposite side getting double digit sacks, drawing double teams. Gotta have more.

I know his stock is dropping all of s sudden, but Bjoern Werner is a kid that while he may not be the raw physical talent of others in this draft, he is just a natural pass rusher. He would be solid at #12.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:

Lots of kids that have never played football or basketball from other countries are talked into trying out for sports they are not familiar with.
Sure, but is his desire there?

phinsfansc wrote:
The Dolphins need more than they got from Vernon last year. If you consider that knocking what he did last year, so be it. You got Wake on the opposite side getting double digit sacks, drawing double teams. Gotta have more.
Dolphins needed more from just about every player last year. What are you expecting from a raw 3rd Rd. pick? How many snaps per game was he getting? Sacks also are misleading, JT had 2 sacks his third year.

Not many rookies explode the NFL in that stat area.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

I think Ansah would be a terrible pick, as would any DE in the 1st round. With Odrick and Vernon already splitting time at DE, why on earth would we want to add another DE and further jam up the spot across from Wake? I understand that some think we need to upgrade the position, but I feel that the 8.5 sacks that Odrick and Vernon produced this year was more than enough. In addition, I also think there is a good chance that both players improve their play this season since it will be their second season in the system. I expect 10 sacks from Odrick and Vernon this year.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Sure, but is his desire there?

phinsfansc wrote:
Dolphins needed more from just about every player last year. What are you expecting from a raw 3rd Rd. pick? How many snaps per game was he getting? Sacks also are misleading, JT had 2 sacks his third year.

Not many rookies explode the NFL in that stat area.

I agree, between Odrick and Vernon we got 8.5 sacks at the position. If Vernon gets one more sack this year (very realisitic), and Odrick gets an extra half sack (also very realisitic), then we'll have that double digit sack production so many people here are obsessed with. I think if the Dolphins are patient and don't draft a DE this year, that they'll see double digit sacks from the duo of Odrick and Vernon this year.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:30 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

You watch Ansah play and he plays with a motor an effort, so I think the desire is there, but you need to decide that for yourself.

Vernon showed some flashes, but I would like to see more than what the Dolphins got. And yeah, on a 7-9 team, more players needed to play better.

Wkloiber, all I need to do is look at the New England games. When they played in Miami, the Patriots had a couple of OL injured for that game and Miami got 4 sacks. When Miami made the trip to Foxboro, the Patriots were healthy on the OL and the Dolphins did not have a sack.

You think the Dolphins have enough pass rusher, fine. I don't.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
You watch Ansah play and he plays with a motor an effort, so I think the desire is there, but you need to decide that for yourself.

I want to know the desire is there, not have to look for it.

phinsfansc wrote:
Vernon showed some flashes, but I would like to see more than what the Dolphins got. And yeah, on a 7-9 team, more players needed to play better.
True, but at some point a team has to expect a player to get better. Miami needed more from Tanny, but they are not looking QB this draft, because they expect better next season because of the learning curve.

phinsfansc wrote:
Wkloiber, all I need to do is look at the New England games. When they played in Miami, the Patriots had a couple of OL injured for that game and Miami got 4 sacks. When Miami made the trip to Foxboro, the Patriots were healthy on the OL and the Dolphins did not have a sack.

Sometimes the other teams just gets the best of you. Doesn't mean you need to change.

phinsfansc wrote:
They need improvement, but sometimes you have to expect improvement from the players you have. There is no reason to not expect improvement from Vernon with another off season & coaching. Perfecting & learning moves. He was a 3rd Rd. pick & from what I have heard Ansah is a work in progress, so does drafting him provide any help for 2013 or are we looking at '14 or '15 before he becomes the player many believe he will be.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:18 am

Dphins4me wrote:

Seems they tried to warn him about playing football according to NFL.com.

Quote:
Ansah tried out for the basketball team in 2008 and 2009. After failing both times, he joined the track team but left at the end of the 2009 season and joined the football program in 2010 despite warnings from Mendenhall and his staff.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:42 am

wkloiber13 wrote:
Rich wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

I think Ansah would be a terrible pick, as would any DE in the 1st round. With Odrick and Vernon already splitting time at DE, why on earth would we want to add another DE and further jam up the spot across from Wake? I understand that some think we need to upgrade the position, but I feel that the 8.5 sacks that Odrick and Vernon produced this year was more than enough. In addition, I also think there is a good chance that both players improve their play this season since it will be their second season in the system. I expect 10 sacks from Odrick and Vernon this year.

Yes, I know you're fixated on the 8.5 sack number. And I know you think PFF is a sham, but they both graded out poorly as pass rushers and the Dolphins as a team may have been 7th in sacks but if you SAW the games with your eyes you'd know we need more pass rush.

Interesting that you are against drafting a DE but were salivating over Dumervil and wanted us to sign Umenyora.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:47 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Yes, I know you're fixated on the 8.5 sack number. And I know you think PFF is a sham, but they both graded out poorly as pass rushers and the Dolphins as a team may have been 7th in sacks but if you SAW the games with your eyes you'd know we need more pass rush.

Interesting that you are against drafting a DE but were salivating over Dumervil and wanted us to sign Umenyora.

:grin:

We need another pass rusher for the rotation.

Last year Matthews Bess and Hartine combined over 2000yds. rec. Why did we need a wr. ?

We are going to have a chance at an elite pass rushing prospect in the draft this year.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:07 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

phinsfansc wrote:
They need improvement, but sometimes you have to expect improvement from the players you have. There is no reason to not expect improvement from Vernon with another off season & coaching. Perfecting & learning moves. He was a 3rd Rd. pick & from what I have heard Ansah is a work in progress, so does drafting him provide any help for 2013 or are we looking at '14 or '15 before he becomes the player many believe he will be.

Dphins, is Ansah a work in progress, YES. Do I think he can offer more than Vernon, YES. But that is my opinion. I do believe Vernon will show improvement this upcoming season. I hope he shows enough to justify not taking another pass rusher as some folks seem to want.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:02 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The more pass rush the better. I wonder if Miami will scheme more for our LB's to rush?

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]