View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Which draft scenario is most appealing to you? 

Which draft strategy intrigues you most?
Trading up for CB Dee Milliner (Swap of 1sts and a 2nd rounder) 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Trading up for OT Lane Johnson (Swap of 1sts and a 2nd rounder) 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Staying put at 12 and drafting WR Tavon Austin 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Other 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 14

Which draft scenario is most appealing to you? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Which draft scenario is most appealing to you?
Teams picking inside the top 8 are not going to be interested in finding a trade partner picking outside the top 15. The Miami Dolphins are sitting pretty with the 12 selection, and have an enticing pick that teams inside the top 8 would be intrigued to swap for in a situation where Miami would trade up for a BPA. I can see us drafting one of two exceptional players in a situation where we trade up. Let's get to the three draft options that sound the most appealing to me:

1) Trade up and swap our 12th pick for a top 7 pick, as well as trading one of our 2nds and possibly a 4th to gain CB Dee Milliner.

2) Trade up and swap our 12 pick for a top 7 pick, as well as trading one of our 2nds and possibly a 4th to gain OT Lane Johnson.

3) Last, and definitely not least, stay put at the 12th selection and draft Tavon Austin.

The LT position is arguably this team's biggest need going into the draft, but there is a troublesome statistic that may deter the average fan from being on board with yet another 1st round OL selection. This team is currently recovering from a franchise worst, 4 consecutive losing seasons. Under these four seasons, the team has drafted an offensive linemen 1st overall, 15th overall, 42nd overall, and in the 3rd round. You can blame past coaching staffs for the lack of success on the line after such high investments, or you can devalue the offensive line has a whole, and make the argument that the team is more devoid of play making talent at WR and CB.

However, here is what Mike Mayock had to say of Lane Johnson while at the combine:

Quote:
Oklahoma T Lane Johnson had the "freakiest Combine in the history of our coverage," according to NFL Network's Mike Mayock.

Measuring in at 6'6/303 pounds, Johnson ran a 4.72 "official" forty while also recording a 34 inch vertical, 118 inch broad jump, 7.31 three cone, and 28 bench press reps. We expect the former quarterback recruit to be a top ten pick in April's draft, likely to a team trading up. (Per Rotoworld)

Lane Johnson is an exact fit for the athletic linemen that coach Phlibin is looking for to fit in his ZBS. With the new talent at receiver and tight end brought in through free agency, Tannehill will possibly be facing even more of a set back from his offensive linemen this year than last, and will need a capable OL to have plays downfield develop. OT Lane Johnson is a viable option for Miami to trade up for.

Alabama's Dee Milliner is also a very intriguing option. The popular consensus seems to have Miami drafting FSU's Xavier Rhodes at 12. I would be far from pleased if that plan materialized, and believe trading up for the more explosive player in Milliner is a much more thorough strategy. Pairing him up with one of the best DBs in the league in Brent Grimes (hoping he sees a 100% recovery), could prove deadly for opposing offenses. The Miami Dolphins secondary would feature a very exceptional group of players in Dee Milliner, Brent Grimes, Reshad Jones, and Chris Clemons.

Most corners in this draft would not be expected to become the shutdown corner teams are looking for year 1, but Dee Milliner is as NFL ready as they come. Any pick taken inside the top 10 should be expected to make big contributions as a starter in his rookie season. There is nothing about Dee Milliner that leads me to believe otherwise.

Last, but certainly not least is the option of sitting still at pick #12 and drafting Tavon Austin, arguably the most explosive, and athletic player in this draft. Period. It's widely accepted around the league that Mike Wallace is the most elite, burner WR in the game today. Tavon Austin proved that he can be just as fast, if not even faster than Mike Wallace throughout his collegiate career and the NFL combine. He ran the best 40 yard dash out of any receiver in the draft, and by significant margin. Adding world class speed to the offense would benefit 2nd year QB Ryan Tannehill tremendously in deep ball situations, as he was already one of the league's best last season with Brian Hartline, who has 4.60 speed.

He is not the mismatch teams are looking for in a player inside the red zone, but standing at 5'8, Austin's speed and body control will separate him from any other receiver in the draft. With the Miami Dolphins signing the fastest receiver in the NFL in Mike Wallace, having the option to draft potentially the same caliber player in Tavon Austin in the same off season could be epic.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:49 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Which draft scenario is most appealing to you?
This is as easy as it gets.

None of those things will happen though.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
This is as easy as it gets.

None of those things will happen though.

That is what I fear. Our scouts and GM are obviously more qualified than any of us as fans, and I hope they select the right guy.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:18 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I think Martin isthe LT of the future and if so the reading for Lane Johnson doesn't make sense, i just dont see us willing to take him

Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I chose other, here is why. The Chiefs will likely not be able to move Albert until after the draft. His CAP number is simply too big for most teams at this stage. That and because the draft is deep in offensive line this year. So there is a good chance the Chiefs won't take Joeckel with the first overall pick. In addition, Mick Mayock recently rated Fisher above Joeckel in his latest "big board". This has been an emerging theme where some experts have been choosing Fisher over Joeckel.

So here is my scenario:
1. The Chiefs take a defender at #1.
2. The Eagles take Fisher over Joeckel at #4.
3. The Dolphins trade up in front of the Chargers (use a 2nd or 3rd round pick) and get Joeckel in the top 10.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]